Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Which steampunk game has the swarthiest aliens? Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Brainiac Five posted:

Speaking of AEG stuff that John Wick used to be involved in, are there any good alternatives for katana-and-geta gaming besides L5R and Tenra?
Legends of the Wulin is actually pretty good. It's got a few things that don't quite hash out but honestly the system is well-put-together enough that fixes are easy to figure out and apply.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Specifically Katana and geta, or more broadly East Asian?
Qin: the Warring States

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rockopolis posted:

Specifically Katana and geta, or more broadly East Asian?
Qin: the Warring States

Specifically katana-and-geta, Heian to late Tokugawa. But recs for stuff in China, Korea, SE Asia, etc. are always welcome.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

unseenlibrarian posted:

Let's just take anything off the table that sounds like it should come out of the mouth of a 1930s pulp adventurer, optionally preceded by "Wily"

That pretty much eliminates everything though(or at least anything that's actually interesting in either setting or mechanics)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

unseenlibrarian posted:

The weirdest thing to me in the game is that, despite adding Fantasy not-Poland, they decided the country that turned into "Totally not the Witcher", complete with a magic school about alchemy brewing from monster parts and a class of professional hunters was fantasy not-Germany.

Not-Germany being monster hunter mecca was a carryover from the first edition. So they had to find a different gimmick for not-Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Specifically katana-and-geta, Heian to late Tokugawa. But recs for stuff in China, Korea, SE Asia, etc. are always welcome.

If I ever get to GM again I want to do a Shinsengumi game no matter the system

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Gold Rush Games' Sengoku always used to come up in discussions of "games like L5R but not," but I've never played it myself so I couldn't tell you how good it is.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

I have yet to actually play The Blossoms Are Falling (the Heian setting for Burning Wheel), but on paper it does a lot of things that look great. I give particular marks to the way it handles capital-H Honor, by treating it as an affectation of those who buy into the cult of bushido, so you can either do the super melodramatic GIRI NINJO, ARA, MONO NO AWARE thing or play characters who think the whole thing is bullshit. Possibly in the same group!

Compared to L5R and Tenra it is a thing of gritty realism; there is magic, but it's pretty much all entreating or warding off spirits, very low powered and not flashy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It also has my pick for the most elegant mechanic ever: if you buy the trait for being a ghost summoner, your Circles expands to include people who are dead.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've been meaning to run a Warring States style of game in Tenra for awhile now, just go full drama against a backdrop of a world gone mad. Giant robots striding confidently across burning fields as explosions rain down and infantry dash in terror from trench to trench. Heroes and villains on both sides with the greatest prize of all in the balance.

I'm just not sure if I want to try a Discord or irc game or try my luck with a pbp.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
In general I don't think you necessarily need a "samurai system", a lot of fantasy systems will work fine and you don't necessarily need something specifically "Asian-flavored". A lot of it is really what kind of game you want to run with samurais in, whether it's Kurosawa or Musou or something else, and finding a system that fits that rather than worrying about whether or not there's a katana on the cover.

Not saying there aren't some good wuxia and similarly-themed games out there, just something to consider depending on what you want to do.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alien Rope Burn posted:

In general I don't think you necessarily need a "samurai system", a lot of fantasy systems will work fine and you don't necessarily need something specifically "Asian-flavored". A lot of it is really what kind of game you want to run with samurais in, whether it's Kurosawa or Musou or something else, and finding a system that fits that rather than worrying about whether or not there's a katana on the cover.

Not saying there aren't some good wuxia and similarly-themed games out there, just something to consider depending on what you want to do.

Cool, thanks for your opinion, I'd rather not trawl through EAS department pages to locate good sources from which to compile an understanding of the Muromachi period so I can run a game set in the Onin War via Fungeon World or whatever, in favor of indirectly paying a person to have done that work for me and also converted it into something playable, in case anyone thinks they're funny and wants to say "GURPS!"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GURPS :colbert:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

You are not excused.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm serious, GURPS is a good choice for realistic historical gaming.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
GURPS! Japan! :colbert:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A Pendragon game reflavored and set on Feudal Japan or China is my dream

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kwyndig posted:

I'm serious, GURPS is a good choice for realistic historical gaming.

Neither of you will troll me.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Plutonis posted:

A Pendragon game reflavored and set on Feudal Japan or China is my dream

A Pendragon game that got reskinned to fit Glorantha is pretty much where King of Dragon Pass came from, so it's definitely doable.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Replace Chivalric Virtues with Bushido, the religious virtues with the correspondant ones for Confucianism, Mahayana Buddhism and Shinto and change the Eras to reflect the turbulence from the Ashikaga Shogunate to the Azuchi-Momoyama and then the Tokugawa Unification

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis posted:

Replace Chivalric Virtues with Bushido, the religious virtues with the correspondant ones for Confucianism, Mahayana Buddhism and Shinto and change the Eras to reflect the turbulence from the Ashikaga Shogunate to the Azuchi-Momoyama and then the Tokugawa Unification

The Great Sengoku Campaign

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Pathfinder, it has samurai and ninjas and the weapons and stuff. It's perfect.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

Pathfinder, it has samurai and ninjas and the weapons and stuff. It's perfect.

This but unironically

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Brainiac Five posted:

Cool, thanks for your opinion, I'd rather not trawl through EAS department pages to locate good sources from which to compile an understanding of the Muromachi period so I can run a game set in the Onin War via Fungeon World or whatever, in favor of indirectly paying a person to have done that work for me and also converted it into something playable, in case anyone thinks they're funny and wants to say "GURPS!"

If you can rattle off periods like "Heian to late Tokugawa" you can probably do fine with Wikipedia, most samurai fiction isn't exactly a bastion of academic rigor. There are many samurai-themed RPGs but extremely few good ones. I mean, you could always look at Bushido or Kaigaku or Usagi Yojimbo (either version) but none of them are things I'd necessarily recommend.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
How can you possibly suggest Pathfinder for a samurai game...

...without insisting on Kaidan: A Japanese Ghost Story, a Japan-inspired dark fantasy setting for Pathfinder?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The best thing I ever heard about GURPS is that any three GURPS supplements make an interesting setting. GURPS High Tech, GURPS Blood Types, and GURPS Rome? Sold!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

For me it's GURPS War Against the Chtorr crossing over with GURPS Vampire the Masquerade, because I didn't even have to make that up, GURPS writers already did it for me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just wanna be a Tsubaki Sanjuro, is that so hard?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

How can you possibly suggest Pathfinder for a samurai game...

...without insisting on Kaidan: A Japanese Ghost Story, a Japan-inspired dark fantasy setting for Pathfinder?

Wow, there's a name I haven't heard in ages.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I just want Buddhist Herakles, patron Bodhisattva of Shaolin.

Set it in the Tang Dynasty and you could replace the Pagan/Christian tension with Heaven-Worship/Buddhism.

Flip it around and run a grand campaign from the Taiping Rebellion through the revolution. The goal of the Grand campaign is to depose Arthur and create a republic.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I just wanna try Pendragon...

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Brainiac Five posted:

ARB is actually 100% correct though and this has long been a problem semi-plagueing L5R. "I want to run a samurai game" is close to meaningless because of how broad that is. Do you want high flying over the top swordplay action? Because that's going to be extremely different from a far more drama heavy Seven Samurai style game! Do you just want to be a cool duder with a katana in an otherwise standard fantasy setting? And what kind of samurai are we talking here anyways - are you anime as gently caress, wearing little armor and focusing entirely on your GLORIOUS FOLDED STEEL, or are you someone in armor, on horseback, with a bow and a spear?

L5R's been plagued by it's on indecision and the rules have long been a hot mess trying to figure it out. You have shugenja which are supposed to be pacifist holy men and women but in practice end up being D&D wizards, you got a system heavy on lethality and meaningless death in a game advertising being a rad warrior who dies gloriously, it constantly tries to beat you over the head over the idea that you are just another dumb shmuck in a setting that is filled to the goddamn brim with rad heroes who do the impossible, and etc, etc.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Speaking of East Asian-inspired TRPGs, what was the one in which stabbing character sheets was an acceptable and sometimes necessary course of action? I recall that you'd use a knife as a central prop and begin play with it covered and sheathed, but as things escalated both of those would come off.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
That would be The Mist-Robed Gate, available under Creative Commons right here.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kestral posted:

That would be The Mist-Robed Gate, available under Creative Commons right here.
Thanks for that! It still sounds weird as all hell, but maybe I could convince my group to run it for a one-shot at some point.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The best Feudal Japan game is, no lie, the first Usagi Yojimbo RPG (the one by Greg Stolze, not the Ironclaw-derived second game). Short, sweet, does everything you need. Has quite possibly my favorite combat system of any RPG.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

FMguru posted:

The best Feudal Japan game is, no lie, the first Usagi Yojimbo RPG (the one by Greg Stolze, not the Ironclaw-derived second game). Short, sweet, does everything you need. Has quite possibly my favorite combat system of any RPG.

The one by Gold Rush Games? I have a copy but I admit the Fuzion logo mostly kept me from ever taking that close of a look at it.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Would anyone have that D&D Fighter Flowchart, the one that tells what they can do during various phases of the game, which is nothing, except the [People are roleplaying] -> [Act quick! It's only chance for agency you will get].

Need it for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

throw to first drat IT posted:

Would anyone have that D&D Fighter Flowchart, the one that tells what they can do during various phases of the game, which is nothing, except the [People are roleplaying] -> [Act quick! It's only chance for agency you will get].

Need it for a friend.

That's one of mine.

• Locked thread