Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

Which part doesn't bother you: That the boards don't line up, or that the boards on the right must be spaced wider than the boards on the left.

Because both things bother me.

I can see that someone hosed up the installation, and how, but it doesn’t viscerally bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Goddamn. That looks like a tear in the fabric of reality to me.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Leperflesh posted:

Which part doesn't bother you: That the boards don't line up, or that the boards on the right must be spaced wider than the boards on the left.

The original screw up doesn't bother me nearly so much as the fact this was surely noticed by 4 or 5 boards in, and they just said gently caress it and kept going.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stop using affine texture mapping!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jesus...cut one damned board short & didn't bother to correct it.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Junk a short composite board? Do you know how much that crap costs? I do. That's why I didn't try to mate them at 45 degree angles. If the same person who bought those things laid them out, I'm guessing half the offset came from trying to see through gin soaked tears.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Raised by Hamsters posted:

The original screw up doesn't bother me nearly so much as the fact this was surely noticed by 4 or 5 boards in, and they just said gently caress it and kept going.

They probably started from the outside in.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

canyoneer posted:

I imagine a snail setting it and then fleeing at top speed, while the rock slowly cracks over his shoulder
ROTF:3:MAO

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that deck would be painful to look at every day. there staring you in the face accusingly. "kill me" said the deck.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

:eng101: it's not the spacing, it's the angle they're cut at!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

To be fair, it was probably hit by a vehicle and someone's there fixing it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's a little robot carrying a big box. He looks so determined! :3:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tunicate posted:

:eng101: it's not the spacing, it's the angle they're cut at!

I don't think so. Regardless of the angle of intersection, every board is of identical width. The only way for the ones on the right to consistently and gradually get offset from the ones on the left, is for the spacing between the boards on the right to be larger than the boards on the left.

If the angles were off, there'd simply be gaps at the inside or outside corner of each intersecting pair of planks.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think so. Regardless of the angle of intersection, every board is of identical width. The only way for the ones on the right to consistently and gradually get offset from the ones on the left, is for the spacing between the boards on the right to be larger than the boards on the left.

If the angles were off, there'd simply be gaps at the inside or outside corner of each intersecting pair of planks.

The boards are of identical width but the length of the cut edge is determined by the angle of the cut because it's a triangle.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ignoranus posted:

The boards are of identical width but the length of the cut edge is determined by the angle of the cut because it's a triangle.

Still, Leperflesh is right -- to get a progressively larger offset as is shown in the video, the spacing between rows needs to differ.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ignoranus posted:

Yes, but if the meeting boards had different angled cuts, they could not smoothly meet at 90 degrees. The entire deck would skew.

You can actually see the larger gaps on the right hand boards.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The loving dress is white and gold.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You can tell because of the way it is.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, but if the meeting boards had different angled cuts, they could not smoothly meet at 90 degrees. The entire deck would skew.

One board is cut over, and the other under. Small deviations from 45 degrees add up quickly!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh I see, you're suggesting they cut the two different directions of board at complimentary, nonequal angles, consistently. That would require them to have been aware of exactly what they were doing and intentionally not trying to get 45 degree angles. It also implies the corner post is not at a 45 degree angle to the corner of the house.

e.g., one set of boards is cut at consistent 47 degrees and the other at 42, so they'll still add up to 90 and thus abut smoothly while also creating a horrible migrane-inducing visual effect.

...I like my theory better, but I misunderstood yours and I acknowledge it's also possible. It implies a sort of vile bloody-mindedness approach rather than just careless incompetence, though.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 18, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The centre line doesn't actually lead into the corner :psyduck:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Oh I see, you're suggesting they cut the two different directions of board at complimentary, nonequal angles, consistently. That would require them to have been aware of exactly what they were doing and intentionally not trying to get 45 degree angles. It also implies the corner post is not at a 45 degree angle to the corner of the house.

e.g., one set of boards is cut at consistent 47 degrees and the other at 42, so they'll still add up to 90 and thus abut smoothly while also creating a horrible migrane-inducing visual effect.

...I like my theory better, but I misunderstood yours and I acknowledge it's also possible. It implies a sort of vile bloody-mindedness approach rather than just careless incompetence, though.

Or they cut one of the sets of boards first, got it slightly wrong, and rather than undoing their previous work and cutting twice, just cut the other one to match it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

The centre line doesn't actually lead into the corner :psyduck:

Yikes

It looks like the railing post was just stuck on afterwords and not lined up.

In any case, it's crappy

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ok I actually think I know what happened.

The deck on one side (right) is wider than the deck on the other side (left), by about half a planksworth. Rather than stick an extra half plank in, they put more space between the planks on the wider side.

Which went swimmingly.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tunicate posted:

One board is cut over, and the other under. Small deviations from 45 degrees add up quickly!
I appreciate these diagrams, thank you

Leperflesh posted:

Oh I see, you're suggesting they cut the two different directions of board at complimentary, nonequal angles, consistently. That would require them to have been aware of exactly what they were doing and intentionally not trying to get 45 degree angles.

If you use a chop saw and you don't get it set perfectly at 45 degrees, when you chop a single plank into two sections, one section will be 47 and the other 42

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!

spog posted:

I appreciate these diagrams, thank you

If you use a chop saw and you don't get it set perfectly at 45 degrees, when you chop a single plank into two sections, one section will be 47 and the other 42

That makes sense, since there are 89 degrees in a right angle.

I think I found the deck architect.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LOL but also you would not buy planks long enough to run both runs of that deck and then cut every one of them in half. Much more likely to be cutting the ends off a bunch of planks.

But yeah 47 + 42 = 89 which is close enough amirite?

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
They are spaced differently. This is obvious so why are you all talking about angles as if that matters.

I hate whoever did that and want them to die so there we all agree.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I say they're spaced differently too, but Tunicate is correct that you can get the same or similar effect if you ran a non-45 degree angle for the corner, provided all the boards have the same pair of complementary angles. And you're a loving rear end in a top hat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You don't count the first degree when you're counting degrees in an angle!!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's like the "one egg for the pan" principle when you fry eggs, right?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Leperflesh posted:

LOL but also you would not buy planks long enough to run both runs of that deck and then cut every one of them in half. Much more likely to be cutting the ends off a bunch of planks.

But yeah 47 + 42 = 89 which is close enough amirite?

It's true! Everyone should like a cute angle! :rimshot:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Leperflesh posted:

It's like the "one egg for the pan" principle when you fry eggs, right?

Baronjutter posted:

You don't count the first degree when you're counting degrees in an angle!!

:psyduck: please explain both to me like i'm five I'm very dumb.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

People are bad at cooking and math.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

People are bad at cooking and math.

But is that people me, because I can't figure out if those are things that are done for an unconventional reason.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Wasabi the J posted:

But is that people me, because I can't figure out if those are things that are done for an unconventional reason.

In my case it is because I am tripping balls on flu medication.

I can taste the colour mauve.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

spog posted:

In my case it is because I am tripping balls on flu medication.

I can taste the colour mauve.

He is bad at cooking meth.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My guess is, the boards are cut at a proper 45 degree angle. The spacing is all correct. But the boards themselves are not perfectly 90 degrees perpendicular to each other - Likely rather than figuring out true square, the person just assumed the house walls were square, and ran each side using the walls as reference. So near the wall, you get a nice tight seam, but the further out you go, the wonkier it gets, because that house corner is like, 89 degrees.