Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Depths posted:

Tony Hawk grows older all the time, looks older all the time but he feels younger in his mind

The real reason why Tony Hawk wanted THPS5 to exist is that he wanted to be able to pull off sick 900s in his cyber persona until the day he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tony's gettin grey

Bam's a chubster

It's weird to look at the big skatemans now.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, Woolie's channel is tryharding as gently caress, I forgot to sub and I kept seeing this hour-long video with Snafoo on my recommended feed. I just assumed "eh, it's probably FGC content from some Cali guys", then I decided to check for new videos and huh.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Depths posted:

Tony Hawk grows older all the time, looks older all the time but he feels younger in his mind
Look man, he's doing everything he can, holding on to what... he... is, loving third person quit messing up the rhymes!

Dias posted:

Man, Woolie's channel is tryharding as gently caress, I forgot to sub and I kept seeing this hour-long video with Snafoo on my recommended feed. I just assumed "eh, it's probably FGC content from some Cali guys", then I decided to check for new videos and huh.
Well, yeah man. The main neurosis that powers Woolie's core is the desire to be The Cool Guy Who Does The Cool Things. All of Woolie's dumbassery make sense when viewed through this lens.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
How the hell is Vic not winning, at least Eric does the sport you do, Vic can't even go that far.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Solaris Knight posted:

How the hell is Vic not winning, at least Eric does the sport you do, Vic can't even go that far.

Because the fans have memories of goldfish and don't remember how much of a scumbag Vic was.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Yardbomb posted:

Tony's gettin grey

Bam's a chubster

Chad Muska at his solo art exhibition a couple years back.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Yardbomb posted:

Tony's gettin grey

Man, looking at this shot just bums me out :smith:

And he's 48? gently caress dude, that's around my parents' age

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

Woolie is literally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ele_dj3ud38

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I get the feeling y'all are misinterpreting "tryharding" also that's Matt.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Yardbomb posted:

Tony's gettin grey

Bam's a chubster

Bam's a chubster (in part) because he is a raging alcoholic, which is why you haven't seen him in anything with the old crew in a while. He's probably still hosed up because of what happened with Dunn, but you know :shrug:

Depths posted:

This made my loving day :laffo:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Justice Sloth posted:

To be fair, it just works better with Tony because skateboarding has more of an inherent connotation of teenage rebellion than either basketball or hockey do, so it makes for a bigger contrast. With Jordan they usually rely more on gambling addiction jokes

I think it's partly the skateboard-as-youthful-rebellion culture mentioned earlier, and partly TH is just kinda a bland person with not a lot of other jokes to offer besides him first doing the 900 over the Hanging Gardens.

Yardbomb posted:

Tony's gettin grey

That's a rough-looking 48.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

How do you do, fellow kids?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I mean I can also blame Valve for refusing to put in even the slightest effort to policing their platform in the first place and allowing it to get this bad

Valve's bloated corpse is only being sustained by a lack of convenient alternatives and the cult of holiday sales. Steam has constant bug fixes for the rarest of nitpicky poo poo despite being 80% web wrapper, yet even now neither the desktop app nor Big Picture scale correctly on any device over 1080p, have any support for the most basic of touch inputs, respond correctly to Windows 10 tablet functions despite over half their user base being on the OS or really make any concessions whatsoever to modern displays and devices.

They occasionally have good ideas, push it out the door then spend the rest of time on increasingly granular fixes with no intention of iterating and improving on the core design (I'm looking at you, Steam Controller). PC gaming desperately needs a strong competitor to Steam.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Valve's bloated corpse is only being sustained by a lack of convenient alternatives and the cult of holiday sales. Steam has constant bug fixes for the rarest of nitpicky poo poo despite being 80% web wrapper, yet even now neither the desktop app nor Big Picture scale correctly on any device over 1080p, have any support for the most basic of touch inputs, respond correctly to Windows 10 tablet functions despite over half their user base being on the OS or really make any concessions whatsoever to modern displays and devices.

They occasionally have good ideas, push it out the door then spend the rest of time on increasingly granular fixes with no intention of iterating and improving on the core design (I'm looking at you, Steam Controller). PC gaming desperately needs a strong competitor to Steam.

Valve isn't making games really, Dota TF2 and CS:GO all have relatively small teams attached to them, and they aren't actively working of fixing their distribution platform.

What the gently caress is Valve actually doing at any point?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Valve isn't making games really, Dota TF2 and CS:GO all have relatively small teams attached to them, and they aren't actively working of fixing their distribution platform.

https://i.imgur.com/Q7ytzsz.gifv

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

VR, engine tech (both Source 2 and things to bolt onto Unity) and other things that are not and never will be hyper-linear, heavily scripted FPS sequels.

Speaking of linearity and the Best Friends, a job listing asking for QA for The Evil Within 2 leaked online.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oh wow, they plan to do QA this time.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Phantasium posted:

Oh wow, they plan to do QA this time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The Kins posted:

VR, engine tech (both Source 2 and things to bolt onto Unity) and other things that are not and never will be hyper-linear, heavily scripted FPS sequels.

Dude I don't even want HL3. Outside of the tech demo stuff for source Half-Life 2+ were all kind of boring shooters that started the trend of 'Please stand still for 15 mins while the plot happens around you by having people just talk for a bit.' that plagues FPS games to this day. I just want them to make steam not rear end. I mean it is significantly less rear end than any of its competitors but that's a low hurdle.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 17, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bugs weren't the real problem with the game

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

People do what they want at valve which means that any time something like big picture is broken it's because literally no one working there gives a gently caress about it or the people who use it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

lets hang out posted:

People do what they want at valve which means that any time something like big picture is broken it's because literally no one working there gives a gently caress about it or the people who use it.

This is entirely the problem; they added some VR functionality to Steam because it's the new hotness, but like hell they're going to do anything else with it. The Steam Controller has a certain cheapness to it that makes it feel like they only grudgingly made an actual physical controller because they had to, and doing so was taking time away from coming up with cool designs at their desk. Everything from the client to Big Picture to their hardware ventures has been a nice idea shoved out the door, bug fixed forever more in increasing granularity and no-one at the top kicking their rear end to actually look at what they made and start making a new, better design. It's one shot at each concept (two for games) followed by endless touch-ups. They like tinkering with stuff, but they don't seem to have any enthusiasm for being an actual developer, be it in games, hardware or services.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is entirely the problem; they added some VR functionality to Steam because it's the new hotness, but like hell they're going to do anything else with it. The Steam Controller has a certain cheapness to it that makes it feel like they only grudgingly made an actual physical controller because they had to, and doing so was taking time away from coming up with cool designs at their desk. Everything from the client to Big Picture to their hardware ventures has been a nice idea shoved out the door, bug fixed forever more in increasing granularity and no-one at the top kicking their rear end to actually look at what they made and start making a new, better design. It's one shot at each concept (two for games) followed by endless touch-ups. They like tinkering with stuff, but they don't seem to have any enthusiasm for being an actual developer, be it in games, hardware or services.

Between that and just like the utter disdain they hold for the pro-dota scene is completely baffling. While the international is usually fine the Seasonal Majors run the gamut of Good to A Complete poo poo Show where they decided only to provide catering for invited teams if they were still actively playing and also didn't provide transportation for the players so they and the casters were locked out of a Chinese arena miles from the hotel at 3 AM in the morning.

They're so focused on being 'hands-off' for most of it the whole seen occasionally just catches fire and burns because they, the central organizer and make of the game, don't wanna do much about anything.

Valve is really loving bad at doing things.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Yeah I'm rewatching Livin Da Dream and with Eric you get why he's resentful, but Vic just stabs you in the back because he wants more money and will do anything to get more mooching off of his best friend, up to and including guilting you with his sob story.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I only voted for Eric as a joke tbh

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Between that and just like the utter disdain they hold for the pro-dota scene is completely baffling. While the international is usually fine the Seasonal Majors run the gamut of Good to A Complete poo poo Show where they decided only to provide catering for invited teams if they were still actively playing and also didn't provide transportation for the players so they and the casters were locked out of a Chinese arena miles from the hotel at 3 AM in the morning.

They're so focused on being 'hands-off' for most of it the whole seen occasionally just catches fire and burns because they, the central organizer and make of the game, don't wanna do much about anything.

Valve is really loving bad at doing things.

On the other hand, it's esports so who loving cares.

Dota tournaments are also far more entertaining when everyone fucks up and it's a comedy of errors

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There was an article by a dude who worked at valve and quit because he was freaked out at the cult of personality almost all the employees were part of there. I have no idea what site it was written on though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Cult of whose personality? Gabe Newell?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah. He thought the way things operated there was insane and also people just kinda worshipped Gabe/Valve as a whole for some reason.

This was 3-4 years ago iirc.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lucky Ted strikes again, the Silver Lance negates the the gimmick of the skeletons reviving constantly.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tae posted:

Lucky Ted strikes again, the Silver Lance negates the the gimmick of the skeletons reviving constantly.

Honestly, even with as bad as Woolie is that wouldn't have affected much, what with how insanely overleveled he is for the area.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Captain Invictus posted:

There was an article by a dude who worked at valve and quit because he was freaked out at the cult of personality almost all the employees were part of there. I have no idea what site it was written on though.

This one?

https://www.wired.com/2013/07/wireduk-valve-jeri-ellsworth/

Valve sounds like the most insane place to work.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dexie posted:

This one?

Valve apparently never evolved past the "5 guys in a basement making Quake mods" style of project management.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

https://imgur.com/a/cHi38

Solaris Knight posted:

Yeah I'm rewatching Livin Da Dream and with Eric you get why he's resentful, but Vic just stabs you in the back because he wants more money and will do anything to get more mooching off of his best friend, up to and including guilting you with his sob story.

Sort of, yeah. Eric is obviously talented yet can't handle competition from what is ostensibly his best friend so he keeps sabotaging him in petty ways. It's like Dick Dastardly if he took up skateboarding.

On the other hand he keeps having the player cover his rear end on numerous crimes and shenanigans much like Vic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dexie posted:

This one?

lol man that's a hell of an adblocker blocker.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Gaben did an AMA a few months ago, he confirmed they're working on several single-player titles. No other details.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Gaben did an AMA a few months ago, he confirmed they're working on several single-player titles. No other details.

Spoilers they're always always working on some single player thing. That same AMA has some answers about how many prototypes HL3 has seen and other games and they've all been canned. Like that space game they had designers posting art for almost a decade back now.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Yo Pat's NieR: Automata stream weekend starts NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They could make a lot of money by making half life 3, and also selling a "the making of" for half life 3 and all its discarded iterations. :v: