Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Pretty much my day any day of the week when I don't have work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Guy Mann posted:

A great essay about a great game.

This reminds me that it's time for a re-read of THE MACHINE IS BLEEDING TO DEATH, the story of a guy who played a game of Madden so unbalanced that it accidentally broke the game apart in front of his eyes.

http://i.imgur.com/lXiVTq1.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/LjEZSrH.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/byceY1M.gifv

Back in Madden 2002, I made my custom QB as tall and fat as the game would allow and he could not be taken down if he decided to do anything. It was great.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
After a few yours with Mass Effect Andromeda, I can safely say it's looking to be decent. The combat is a straight-up evolution of 3. Same classes, new abilities, new movement that feels good. The game feels like ME1 and ME3 sort of fused together - much more open than 2, with a central goal you build toward similar to collecting the fleet to fight back the Reapers in 3, though this time it's for a constructive goal. The facial animation is indeed hilariously bad at times but sometimes it's right on. The inconsistency is so odd. The voice acting settles right into "serviceable to decent." The dialog direction is inconsistent - sometimes it's right on and nails the combination of Star Trek and Star Wars roots that inspire it, sometimes it's awkwards and stilted like a B-movie or bad anime. The MC VAs are not up to the Shep quality, which kinda sucks, but they're not too bad either. All in all, I'd say the noise about everything being a shitshow is overblown. Of course, it could totally turn into a shitshow later in the game, who knows. It is funny how they address pretty much every story concern people had in the first bit, like galaxy colonialism and "aren't humans the invaders this time?"

After playing this demo period on PC, I'm gonna grab it for PS4 so that I can play multi with PS4 goons and not have to deal with Origin, which despite some people telling me "isn't bad anymore" still actually sucks butt. Also, gamepad appears to be much more preferable to KB+M.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

bloodychill posted:

After a few yours with Mass Effect Andromeda, I can safely say it's looking to be decent. The combat is a straight-up evolution of 3. Same classes, new abilities, new movement that feels good. The game feels like ME1 and ME3 sort of fused together - much more open than 2, with a central goal you build toward similar to collecting the fleet to fight back the Reapers in 3, though this time it's for a constructive goal. The facial animation is indeed hilariously bad at times but sometimes it's right on. The inconsistency is so odd. The voice acting settles right into "serviceable to decent." The dialog direction is inconsistent - sometimes it's right on and nails the combination of Star Trek and Star Wars roots that inspire it, sometimes it's awkwards and stilted like a B-movie or bad anime. The MC VAs are not up to the Shep quality, which kinda sucks, but they're not too bad either. All in all, I'd say the noise about everything being a shitshow is overblown. Of course, it could totally turn into a shitshow later in the game, who knows. It is funny how they address pretty much every story concern people had in the first bit, like galaxy colonialism and "aren't humans the invaders this time?"

Despite playing this demo period on PC, I'm gonna grab it for PS4 so that I can play multi with PS4 goons and not have to deal with Origin, which despite some people telling me "isn't bad anymore" still actually sucks butt. Also, gamepad appears to be much more preferable to KB+M.

Yeah, after hitting the singleplayer story block, I jumped into MP and was immediately reminded how good ME3 MP was. And I'm not sure how many of the connection issues I was seeing were up to origin and what was up to it apparently using p2p networking.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Pretty much my day any day of the week when I don't have work

Same, except every day in general

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

bloodychill posted:

Of course, it could totally turn into a shitshow later in the game, who knows. It is funny how they address pretty much every story concern people had in the first bit, like galaxy colonialism and "aren't humans the invaders this time?"

Do they address why Cora is so copacetic with DadRyder deciding it's be a hilarious last-minute joke to appoint his sondaughter to position of Head Pathfinder over her, the person who was legitimately next in the chain of command? Among other boring story beats I saw in the first 10 hours it really felt like they just decided to brush right over a lot of the potential drama that could have been mined out of a situation like that with Cora at one point straight-up telling you that she isn't even all that upset about DadRyder's decision to just arbitrarily appoint you Pathfinder at a time of serious crisis. It makes her character seem a lot more boring thus far.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Do they address why Cora is so copacetic with DadRyder deciding it's be a hilarious last-minute joke to appoint his sondaughter to position of Head Pathfinder over her, the person who was legitimately next in the chain of command? Among other boring story beats I saw in the first 10 hours it really felt like they just decided to brush right over a lot of the potential drama that could have been mined out of a situation like that with Cora at one point straight-up telling you that she isn't even all that upset about DadRyder's decision to just arbitrarily appoint you Pathfinder at a time of serious crisis. It makes her character seem a lot more boring thus far.

Near as I can tell, DadRyder picks you cause he's literally dying and you're the only person nearby to get the SAM upgrade. The EA access stuff also only gives you what amounts to the first two hours of singleplayer, so maybe the drama comes up later; maybe she gives you the benefit of the doubt and instead the resentment stews and grows over time until you earn her loyalty back in her loyalty mission. I mean, it's not like the Witcher gave all of its story beats in the first hour.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Here's my review of what I played of Persona 4 Golden.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Near as I can tell, DadRyder picks you cause he's literally dying and you're the only person nearby to get the SAM upgrade.

Unless there's more that's revealed later that's not quite what I saw. You and Dad get separated from the group by an explosion and your helmet is busted. He gives you his helmet so you can live, and then transfers the Space Age Magic to you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lurdiak posted:

Here's my review of what I played of Persona 4 Golden.

Needs to be a bear or fox

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Kai Tave posted:

What Poop said. You get the space magic for plot reasons, there's no arguing with it. Could be she doesn't want the responsibility and is relieved. Maybe it'll come up later.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does ME ask about decisions you made in the previous games, or is it just a fresh start?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Does ME ask about decisions you made in the previous games, or is it just a fresh start?

It asks if Shepard was a man or a woman and that seems to be the extent of it. I didn't see anything that actually calls on it though, so it'll probably come up later.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I will say that I'm not expecting something on par with ME2 or even ME1 in terms of story-telling. You will not have a paranoid Martin Sheen sending you on missions of intrigue investigating mega-corporations to uncover a Reaper plot. You're not chasing a rogue ranger with the authority of the galaxy's biggest governing body to find that he's being kind controlled by his own spaceship.

It's more fantasy-tropy. There's space corruption (dark energy), a weird alien cult studying it, etc. You are exploring this very alien place far from earth, which is neat, though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

It asks whether Shepard was male or female, and that's it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean I guess nothing that Shepard does or did will have an impact on this story, so.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Grapplejack posted:

I mean I guess nothing that Shepard does or did will have an impact on this story, so.

I think that's the main theme of the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Considering that people aren't melded with their iPads that was sort of necessary by default

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They left the Milky Way before any of that stuff happened, though.

My guess is that someone cloned or made a VI copy of Shepard and stuck it on the colony ship. Cerberus, maybe

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Considering that people aren't melded with their iPads that was sort of necessary by default

Instead Andromeda looks like a brand new universe for the writer to create a story about a young man/woman melded with technology in what one might call a synthesis of human and machine.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Andromeda is Shepard remembered as the most important human who ever lived or anything

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Hot drat, a game that's "decent" that might get slightly better after ten hours? Sell me a little harder on Andromeda, why don't you.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Was it Kingdom Hearts 2 that had a ludicrously long introductory segment which people unironically defended with "just stick with it, it gets better after the first 20 hours" or something?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

People definitely said that about Final Fantasy 13. "It really opens up at hour 15" or some poo poo like that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I was gonna say that's how people describe FFXIII but if you don't like it after an hour you're not going to like it after 20. I personally loved the game from the word go but I understand that's a hot take.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Was it Kingdom Hearts 2 that had a ludicrously long introductory segment which people unironically defended with "just stick with it, it gets better after the first 20 hours" or something?

One of the FFs had people describing it like that.

So do a lot of TV shows too, for that matter.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bloodychill posted:

I will say that I'm not expecting something on par with ME2 or even ME1 in terms of story-telling. You will not have a paranoid Martin Sheen sending you on missions of intrigue investigating mega-corporations to uncover a Reaper plot. You're not chasing a rogue ranger with the authority of the galaxy's biggest governing body to find that he's being kind controlled by his own spaceship.

It's more fantasy-tropy. There's space corruption (dark energy), a weird alien cult studying it, etc. You are exploring this very alien place far from earth, which is neat, though.

I love star ocean andromeda

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

FFXIII definitely took double digit hours ebfore you felt like you had finally started playing the real game. I think the Roxas part in Kingdom Hearts only took like an hour but it felt like forever.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Moon Monster posted:

FFXIII definitely took double digit hours ebfore you felt like you had finally started playing the real game. I think the Roxas part in Kingdom Hearts only took like an hour but it felt like forever.

It took about eight unless you knew the optimal way of grinding

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
With KH2 I'd argue the opening is one of the best parts, to be honest.

The first 3 hours and the last like 2~ hours are probably the best in that game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They should've made the game five hours long

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
KH3 has taken so long.

Entire fandom groups have risen and fallen without the final chapter to close the door on things.

Cosplay groups dedicated to dressing up as Kingdom Hearts characters were forced to find other IPs to pursue because of how long it's taken Kingdom Hearts 3 to come out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

the final chapter to close the door on things.

Hahaha like KH3 is gonna wrap it all up

the ride never ends

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is it like a Half Life 3 situation?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

KH3 has taken so long.

Entire fandom groups have risen and fallen without the final chapter to close the door on things.

Cosplay groups dedicated to dressing up as Kingdom Hearts characters were forced to find other IPs to pursue because of how long it's taken Kingdom Hearts 3 to come out.

Kingdom Hearts has had new entries in the franchise on a regular basis including a prequel which is basically as much a KH3 as KH3 will end up being. It isn't like nothing has come out between KH2 and KH3.

Edit: Like for good or ill KH3 has a ton of poo poo that is going to assume you played through the prequel and sequel games outside of KH2. Otherwise you're gonna have no loving idea who the poo poo these Aqua/Ventus/Terra people are.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Can we just take a minute to appreciate how incredible it is that Kingdom Hearts even exists at all? The idea that someone said "what if we could make a JRPG, but also have your party members be Donald Duck and Goofy?" and it got approved is proof-positive that even the craziest of dreams can come true.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

FirstAidKite posted:

Hahaha like KH3 is gonna wrap it all up

the ride never ends

Do Organization XIII cosplay groups still show up regularly at conventions or has that become drastically less of a thing over time?

Like is most of the Kingdom Hearts representation now mostly just Aqua, Terra and Ventus like ImpAtom said?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I'm glad I don't care about Kingdom Hearts so I don't have to deal with a game numbering scheme including 358/2 Days, 1.5, 2.5 and 2.8.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Do Organization XIII cosplay groups still show up regularly at conventions or has that become drastically less of a thing over time?

Like is most of the Kingdom Hearts representation now mostly just Aqua, Terra and Ventus like ImpAtom said?

I don't really follow it but I know there was some big KH cosplay thing for a Disney Infinity event not long before it shut down so someone out there is into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kai Tave posted:

Can we just take a minute to appreciate how incredible it is that Kingdom Hearts even exists at all? The idea that someone said "what if we could make a JRPG, but also have your party members be Donald Duck and Goofy?" and it got approved is proof-positive that even the craziest of dreams can come true.

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

• Locked thread