Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wanderer posted:

I just noticed from the CBR preview that Hannah Blumenreich has a story in this week's issue of ASM, which is pretty rad.

She's got a bunch of fun Spider-Man fan comics on her Tumblr.

http://hannahblumenreich.tumblr.com/post/144836701928/dj-cue-the-jock-jams-please

That's awesome! I love her Spider-Man stories.

It's just a shame it's hitched to a bunch of other stuff that's probably not going to be worth the price of admission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Spider-Man is that super hero that tells you stupid jokes, while holding your car up, as you replace a flat tire.

Spider-Man is that super hero that sees you bombing on a date, and swoops in to tell the girl about how you totally saved him from the Scorpion.

Spider-Man is that super hero that asks you if you're going to finish those fries.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Open Marriage Night posted:

Spider-Man is that super hero that tells you stupid jokes, while holding your car up, as you replace a flat tire.

Spider-Man is that super hero that sees you bombing on a date, and swoops in to tell the girl about how you totally saved him from the Scorpion.

Spider-Man is that super hero that asks you if you're going to finish those fries.

Uh, actually Spider-Man is the super hero that is mega rich and owns a multi national corporation. Spider-Man is the super hero that sold his marriage to the devil. Spider-Man is the super hero who may actually be a super villain who has stolen the body of Spider-Man and is using it to jerk off to his memories of loving a super model.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spider-man is that super hero tha-

Oh.... :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Amen Peter.

Amen.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I know THAT'S right!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Pete being that kind of nerd aside, that page has some increasingly disturbing hands.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Can anyone explain Norman Osborn's master plan or even general motivations in ASM?

1) Norman Osborn was outed as the Green Goblin and a super criminal, so he goes into hiding.

2) Because he is a super criminal, he needs to take on a new identity so no one suspects he is a super criminal while he's running drugs and weapons in a criminal enterprise.

3) In order to keep anyone from knowing he's the Green Goblin, one of the main things he is smuggling as an anonymous criminal is Goblin Bombs.

4) Further, to keep a low profile while he's illegally selling Goblin Bombs to people, the identities he steals are those of other infamous criminals.

5) Oh yeah also even though he has all sorts of super advanced technology and has personally used holograms before and frequently employs a technology/power based master of disguise, he goes through agonizing Face Off plastic surgery every time he wants to swap identities.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Point 3 at least kinda makes sense in a double-bluff kind of way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Can anyone explain Norman Osborn's master plan or even general motivations in ASM?

1) Norman Osborn was outed as the Green Goblin and a super criminal, so he goes into hiding.

2) Because he is a super criminal, he needs to take on a new identity so no one suspects he is a super criminal while he's running drugs and weapons in a criminal enterprise.

3) In order to keep anyone from knowing he's the Green Goblin, one of the main things he is smuggling as an anonymous criminal is Goblin Bombs.

4) Further, to keep a low profile while he's illegally selling Goblin Bombs to people, the identities he steals are those of other infamous criminals.

5) Oh yeah also even though he has all sorts of super advanced technology and has personally used holograms before and frequently employs a technology/power based master of disguise, he goes through agonizing Face Off plastic surgery every time he wants to swap identities.

The explanation is that Dan Slott is a bad writer.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Pretty sure his master plan is to kill Peter Parker and make him suffer along the way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Goffer posted:

Pretty sure his master plan is to kill Peter Parker and make him suffer along the way.

This isn't even the craziest way he has done this.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Edge & Christian posted:

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

This isn't even the craziest way he has done this.

Hire actress to impersonate aunt may.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bobkatt013 posted:

Though they were at least more direct.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Ferrule posted:

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

bobkatt013 posted:

Hire an actress to impersonate Aunt May.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

90% of all female actors over sixty are employed by Norman Osborn.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

90% of all female actors over sixty are employed by Norman Osborn.

drat you Meryl Streep!!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

That may be the stupidest retcon ever.

'Yeah, remember when Aunt May died in ASM #400, one of the most touching stories in the character's history? lol j/k it was just a genetically-modified actress'. It took until the JMS run for anyone to do anything actually good with her (ie have her dealing with Peter's secret identity), and then OMD rendered the whole thing moot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JMS was often accused of neglecting Peter's wider supporting cast, but he probably wrote the best Mary Jane and Aunt May since... anyone, really. It made the stupid retcon seem like it was worth it. And then OMD threw all that into the dumpster. Like can anyone name a story where they thought Aunt May was interesting that was published since OMD?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

JMS was often accused of neglecting Peter's wider supporting cast, but he probably wrote the best Mary Jane and Aunt May since... anyone, really. It made the stupid retcon seem like it was worth it. And then OMD threw all that into the dumpster. Like can anyone name a story where they thought Aunt May was interesting that was published since OMD?
I think it is fair to saw JMS primarily focused on the Parkers, but back then there were other books that did more with other members of the supporting cast (PAD's FNSM is I think the classic example - that had Flash && Betty fornt and centre, brought back Deb Whitman to react to the unmasking & had the Peter/JJJ faceoff after the unmasking that everyone knew was coming, except apparently the writers - PAD only actually wrote it when a fan asked him about it and he realised nobody else was doing it.) And then, again, OMD say most of them dropped like a hot rock in favour of new characters, non of whom stuck. And also we got Harry back via terrible retcon (who had also died in an iconic J.M. DeMatteis story - and later we got Kraven for the hat trick - albeit via a crappy story rather that outright retcon), who again, hasn't had a story to justify the resurrection.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nobody bothering to write the faceoff between Peter and Jonah makes a lot more sense in retrospect since everyone knew that genie was going back in its bottle in like 6 months' time.

Man, I wish they hadn't done that. Public Spider-man would've made for a lot of great storytelling opportunities.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Lurdiak posted:

Sure! May's stint as Howard's PA in Zdarsky's recent series. She was great in that.

Oh wait, you mean in an actual Spider-Man book, don't' you? Um...well...

I'll get back to you.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

Nobody bothering to write the faceoff between Peter and Jonah makes a lot more sense in retrospect since everyone knew that genie was going back in its bottle in like 6 months' time.

Man, I wish they hadn't done that. Public Spider-man would've made for a lot of great storytelling opportunities.

It was PAD who wrote Jonah and Peter's face off. It happened in Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-man. They hop into a boxing ring and Peter let's Jonah physically wail on him. While they verbally rip into each other.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

It was PAD who wrote Jonah and Peter's face off. It happened in Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-man. They hop into a boxing ring and Peter let's Jonah physically wail on him. While they verbally rip into each other.

Are you sure you didn't just fall asleep with a Spider-Man comic on your face while watching Battlestar Galactica?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah, but he only wrote it when a fan asked him 'so, when are Peter & Jonah going to face off over the unmasking?'

Gaz-L posted:

Are you sure you didn't just fall asleep with a Spider-Man comic on your face while watching Battlestar Galactica?

It's better than it sounds.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It also is a callback to a very early issue of Amazing when Pete and Flash were still in high school and one of the teachers had them try to settle their differences in the gym's boxing ring. Which sounds horrifically sadistic if the teacher knew anything about the jock/nerd bully/victim relationship the two of them had.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

It also is a callback to a very early issue of Amazing when Pete and Flash were still in high school and one of the teachers had them try to settle their differences in the gym's boxing ring. Which sounds horrifically sadistic if the teacher knew anything about the jock/nerd bully/victim relationship the two of them had.

Ah, yes, the "Tribute to Teen-Agers" issue, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kraven the Hunter had a good story in Scarlet Spider but that's about it.

Edit: Also Squirrel Girl but that is cheating.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I actually don't like Kraven in Squirrel Girl to the point that he almost breaks the book for me

Like in a vacuum he's fine but they went from crazy suicidal undead guy who murdered his wife and kid to Kra-Van with zero stops in between

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ImpAtom posted:

Kraven the Hunter had a good story in Scarlet Spider but that's about it.

Edit: Also Squirrel Girl but that is cheating.

I agree "his one good story was the one where they killed him off." Or are you talking about something that came after Web of Death? In which case, that's another good story with Kraven.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 20, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

I actually don't like Kraven in Squirrel Girl to the point that he almost breaks the book for me

Like in a vacuum he's fine but they went from crazy suicidal undead guy who murdered his wife and kid to Kra-Van with zero stops in between

That's fine because the former is awful, limiting to writers and boring and if you're going to get any use out of this pointlessly resurrected character, you pretty much have to ignore Grim Hunt, because Grim Hunt is dog poo poo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kraven has been alright in the rocket raccoon book

mostly because of rocket's reactions tho to be fair

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

If every single one of Spider-man's 60s villains just mysteriously died and never came back I would be a happy reader. Osborn especially.

Except Rhino. You better not kill Rhino now that he's been in Squirrel Girl.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Answer:

move all Spider-Man villains to Squirrel Girl, move all Squirrel Girl villains to Spider-Man.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

who are squirrel girl's villains

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

who are squirrel girl's villains

The nobodies. You know, Galactus, Dr. Doom, Red Skull, Thanos.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

no I mean like specifically her villains; I know her thing is clowning on people like thanos. I wanna know about the ones that started as squirrel girl villains, like osborn or doc ock did for spider-man

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

no I mean like specifically her villains; I know her thing is clowning on people like thanos. I wanna know about the ones that started as squirrel girl villains, like osborn or doc ock did for spider-man

Ratatoskr I guess? That guy whose name I can't remember at this exact moment who cloned himself a billion times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That guy whose name I can't remember at this exact moment who cloned himself a billion times?

I can't believe spider-man is a squirrel girl villain

• Locked thread