Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Drifter posted:

yeah I'm going to rent ten hours of a 40+ hour game okay dokey sure thing there, Beauregard.

To be fair it's not even 10 hours. If you ignore the obvious open world garbage collectathon it's more like 3 hours before you get cut off. That being said, you still come out a bit ahead if you get EA access and buy the game due to discount it gives you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

exquisite tea posted:

f that, I'm gonna ante up and put down $129.99 for the super delux edition /w shopping cart screenshots as proof. Throwing my money at a multinational corporation is cool, and an act of rebellion against these hatin' goons.

While pissing off anyone like Utnayan would most certainly be worth some monies, I doubt it'd be worth that much.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

exquisite tea posted:

f that, I'm gonna ante up and put down $129.99 for the super delux edition /w shopping cart screenshots as proof. Throwing my money at a multinational corporation is cool, and an act of rebellion against these hatin' goons.

yeah well i'm gonna open chains of origin accounts and pay $5 a piece so i can play multiplayer all weekend non-stop you can't stop me shut up dad

(I guarantee someone out there is actually doing this)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

You better.

Super deluxe retard edition for space babbies was the one for me.

No shopping cart as proof because that was last year and I'm not digging out the email.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Good morning thread!
I have a lot of posts to catch up with (809) but I just want to apologise for not getting to Utaynan sooner.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

It does seem like they're leaning towards an ulterior motive for the Andromeda initiative, though they don't really tell you enough to know what it is yet.

Ages back but yeah. Between Rydads shiftiness, SAMs shiftiness, the potential for SAM to use people as meat puppets and the fact that the project is acronymed AI there could definitely be something dodgy going on with the Initiative.

But it won't be that.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

VideoGames posted:

Good morning thread!
I have a lot of posts to catch up with (809) but I just want to apologise for not getting to Utaynan sooner.

You cannot moderate that which has no life.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

Ages back but yeah. Between Rydads shiftiness, SAMs shiftiness, the potential for SAM to use people as meat puppets and the fact that the project is acronymed AI there could definitely be something dodgy going on with the Initiative.

But it won't be that.
A lot of the ARG stuff has indicated some degree of shiftiness as well. My current working theory (which is almost entirely speculation) is that Cerberus are the ones funding the initiative; private company, bottomless pockets, huge focus on "new Earths" (not "new Palavens" etc). Whatever the case, the ARG supports the initiative having a fuckload of ulterior motives and poo poo they're just not telling you.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I wonder what'll happen when the other arks arrive with their SAMs, we know DadRyder messed with his, but will the other ones be connected to our SAM? Will it improve its capabilities?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Utnayan posted:

It was loving intentional.

Here is my last post as I go to bed.

Hire the loving people that make great games and can write to that poo poo and not based on some idiot's personal bullshit political interview!

When your entire loving DEVELOPMENT TEAM DROPS OUT, and you have to hire more people, ASK THEM WHAT THEIR TALENT IS. NOT WHAT THEIR BULLSHIT POLITICAL AGENDA IS. (This is Snowden 200 By the way. When Bioware as interviewing, they actually asked what their political views were BEFORE WHAT THEY ASKED WHEN IT CAME TO SHIPPING A GAME!)

We all come from the same god drat cell from BILLIONS of years ago. MALE. FEMALE. BLACK. WHITE. ASIAN? You mean to tell me when we were apes one went north, one went south, another went EAST? HOLY poo poo! OH MY GOD. WE HAVE SEX. FEMALES ARE HOT. MALES MAY BE TOO!, that we are all unique? NO. WE DISPLAY WHAT WE HAVE AS TALENTS AND I, OR ANYONE, GIVES A FLYING gently caress WHAT OF WHO YOU ARE AS LONG AS YOU CAN MAKE A GAME AND MAKE MONEY!

Take your liberal asses and go gently caress yourself!

Take your conservative asses and go gently caress yourself too!

WE ARE ALL THE loving SAME. Now get OVER IT.

And quit loving with games I may like!

Quoting for posterity and also to say:
We are only human after all. Don't put your blame on me(for liking a ok space game)

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Daztek posted:

I wonder what'll happen when the other arks arrive with their SAMs, we know DadRyder messed with his, but will the other ones be connected to our SAM? Will it improve its capabilities?

My bet is that all the other SAMs have been somehow compromised and are responsible for none of the other arks getting in contact with citadel 2.0

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

A lot of the ARG stuff has indicated some degree of shiftiness as well. My current working theory (which is almost entirely speculation) is that Cerberus are the ones funding the initiative; private company, bottomless pockets, huge focus on "new Earths" (not "new Palavens" etc). Whatever the case, the ARG supports the initiative having a fuckload of ulterior motives and poo poo they're just not telling you.

Pictured: The Andromeda Initiative 3 years after arrival:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think I've done all the quests and talking to people you can do before the trial locks me out. I've got like 2 hours left and don't really care about multiplayer. Ideas for things to gently caress around with/try to break?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

escalator dropdown posted:

Seriously. I remember reading some early preview from somewhere describing it as slow but "more immersive" than the galaxy map/travel of the original trilogy, but it's not! It's annoyingly slow, like molasses slow, but weird pull-in, pause, pull-out when you get to a planet to scan is not immersive whatsoever. It doesn't feel like I'm really on the bridge of a ship, it feels like what it is -- a badly designed computer interface. I don't mind the travel between systems vs. the old "look at a mass relay loading screen" thing, but the in-system and planetary scanning poo poo slows the whole process down while failing to actually add much immersion:

When they described "actually watching out the window as your ship flies to the next planet" I thought it would be, like, you setting a course, then going off to talk to crewmates until Joker pages you that you're in orbit. I didn't expect to do the same scanning game as ME2 but with my GPU chugging to render an asteroid field through a black hole first.

The best argument for Cerberus being behind Andromeda Initiative: how much of a gently caress-up their project turned out to be.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think I've done all the quests and talking to people you can do before the trial locks me out. I've got like 2 hours left and don't really care about multiplayer. Ideas for things to gently caress around with/try to break?

Play as the other sibling for a bit

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Are you on PC? Spend some time tinkering around with Cheat Engine and nail down the memory addresses for all the common crafting materials so you can have that poo poo ready to go for release day.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
This thread got like a hundred pages since last I looked at it two days ago. They way it was going then, I'm just going to assume that there's nothing worthwhile at all in those pages, and that reading them all will damage my brain and/or give me cancer.

I played my 10 hours of trial, and still wanted to play more when the time was up, so I don't regret my pre-order.
Game isn't fantastic by any means, but who really expected it to be?

My take on it is that it feels like Inquisition in space, with worse animations and dialogue and voice acting that is a bit iffy, but on the upside has far more enjoyable combat. Also the nu-Mako is an incredibly massive improvement over DA:I's sodding horse.
I did take some time to poke at some of the sidequests. Of those I found none are as bad as the bulk of Inquisition's were. No fetching ten bear arses that I could see.
There's one about solving a murder case, with a little twist, one about uncovering sabotage. Didn't have time to fully complete either of those, and they were interesting enough to me that I'm interested to see how they turn out.
There was also a shorter one on Eos that ends with you releasing a miniboss of sorts.

I get the definite feeling that this game is going to be a slow burner, just as Inquisition was.
The way they dump you straight into the story where everything's gone FUBAR is pretty bad at grabbing you, but feels appropriate to the story.
Ryder is definitely out of her depth, and the first act is probably going to be about how well you deal with living up to the hope the common folk is pinning on you, and proving yourself to the authority figures that rightly don't trust you, green as you are.

The interface is a bit iffy and clunky, but I don't think it's worse than say Skyrim. It's not good, but it's manageable.

I stuck to the default name, and I'm liking that decision. Having people close to you call you Sara instead of Ryder or Pathfinder is good, and helps with the variety to boot.

Game ran smooth on my 1070, except for sometimes dipping down to single frames or even freezing completely for a second or two occasionally. Anyone else had that issue?
Might be that it doesn't read quickly enough from the harddrive, going to install the full version on the SSD instead.

Sidenote, EA might be a lovely company with a history of being anti-consumer, but the EA Access thing is actually pretty good.
5€ for a month or 25€ for a full year. I went for the full year one, and now for the prize of three pizzas I suddenly can play a whole bunch of games, like the three crysis games, the Dead Space trilogy, the new Mirror's Edge (and the old one).
There's a bunch of old games there too, and even a few indies, like Trine and the Banner Saga, both of which I've thought of getting but never got around to getting. It's actually a pretty drat sweet deal, the 12 months option's cost per month is just over 2€. That's literally just spare change.

Zzulu posted:

who cares about peebee

i'm gonna gently caress a birdalien

vetra is the bomb
Yes, also this. I'm glad I get to bang the Turian as Sara.
Of the three squadmates we meet in the trial Vetra for sure seems like the most compelling one. I'm not counting PeeBee here because she shot herself in the face right away and died we get like all of five sentences of interaction with her.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I've done a bit of tooling around on Eos and my enthusiasm is waning. The map is not great and the compass is especially awful. A lot of the dialogue is absoloutely nonsensical. I am very disappointed to find that you can't edit your squad's loadout. The crafting and shop menus are terrible (actually menus in general are terrible). Combat remains pretty fun though.

I don't think I'm going to bother buying it, all it's done is made me start downloading DA:I again.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh my word. I just got to the sheer Utaynan madness posts. I am so so sorry.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

VideoGames posted:

You took our beautiful crazy boy away :sigh:

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
bioware is a sleeper cell of radfems intent on pacifying & castratin the male youth by designing Pelessaria B’Sayle, Codename: PB

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lemon posted:

The map is not great

Desert maps and tileset should be banned from all games or at least relegated to minor set pieces. Making one the showcase for your new space game was a real bad ideaer. They should have led with the jungle or ocean worlds.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

DOOM is on sale for 50% for the weekend on steam.
Preserve your sanity, leave this dumpsterfire of a thread, and go play the best game made in at least a decade.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

bioware is a sleeper cell of radfems intent on pacifying & castratin the male youth by designing Pelessaria B’Sayle, Codename: PB

They should have an alien machine in the Andromeda galaxy that sucks in all the white males that go near it. Then it performs space magic then spits out a random non-white male or a woman of any ethnicity.

It will unlock an achievement (so people want to do it) and auto save over that character file immediately, thus angering a certain number of insecure players.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SweetBro posted:

My bet is that all the other SAMs have been somehow compromised and are responsible for none of the other arks getting in contact with citadel 2.0

I bet their arcs have been turned into reapers and fighting them is the rest of the game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Like, the seven traversable worlds they teased in the planets trailer were...

Hab 1: Desert world with underground rivers.
Hab 2: Tundra moon
Hab 3: Super jungle
Hab 4: Rivers and grassland
Hab 5: Weird Dextro-Forrest
Hab 6: Waterworld (Dennis Hopper optional)
Hab 7: Tropical wonderland

And of those, they felt that it would be best to turn us loose on the desert first? Booo!

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
deserts are really boring in videogames since desrt usually means design it with lots of open space & emptiness

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

Desert maps and tileset should be banned from all games or at least relegated to minor set pieces. Making one the showcase for your new space game was a real bad ideaer. They should have led with the jungle or ocean worlds.

I was actually taking about the map screen, but yeah I agree with this also.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

And of those, they felt that it would be best to turn us loose on the desert first? Booo!
The desert might have been a good pick if they had actually showed any of those supposed underground rivers. Or at least not cutting off before entering the first vault, but rather shunting the player there quickly.
Just plain desert is boring, and the planet is supposed to have more interesting features that they don't show us because :downs:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Dragon Age Inquisition had THREE desert areas (Forbidden Oasis, Hissing Wastes, Western Approach). Desert areas get Bioware's dick hard.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

im gonna redbox the heck out of this game and probably enjoy it a bunch but not finish it and return it and move on with my life because i am a content locust

namaste

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dragon Age Inquisition had THREE desert areas (Forbidden Oasis, Hissing Wastes, Western Approach). Desert areas get Bioware's dick hard.

Featureless deserts render better on consoles.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

VideoGames posted:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The first world was pretty dull but not because it was a desert... Mostly because you just drive around it and stop to finish 3 jump puzzles and then that's it. Just as it got interesting (delving into the techno-dungeon) it tells you the trial is over

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Groetgaffel posted:

The desert might have been a good pick if they had actually showed any of those supposed underground rivers. Or at least not cutting off before entering the first vault, but rather shunting the player there quickly.
Just plain desert is boring, and the planet is supposed to have more interesting features that they don't show us because :downs:

The more I see reviews pointedly implying that "It gets better" the more I think that EA was completely stupid to offer an EA access version of this. It's either not true, and people knowing the game's bad ahead of time will reduce sales, or it is true and they completely shot themselves in the foot by only showing the weak start.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

The lore explanation to this is that the Arks were supposed to colonise the interesting places (Humans got Tropical wonderland/floaty mountainworld, Turians got Weird Dextro-forest and Asari got the waterworld with the Salarians getting the Jungle one, probably). The Nexus wasn't supposed to colonise anything, but rather just be a place where those colonies would have to communicate and to be the command hub for the whole thing. Then poo poo went down and that didn't happen.

The actual reason behind it is

Dragon Age Inquisition had THREE (incredibly boring, relatively painful) desert areas (Forbidden Oasis, Hissing Wastes, Western Approach). Desert areas get Bioware's dick hard.

CottonWolf posted:

The more I see reviews pointedly implying that "It gets better" the more I think that EA was completely stupid to offer an EA access version of this. It's either not true, and people knowing the game's bad ahead of time will reduce sales, or it is true and they completely shot themselves in the foot by only showing the weak start.

This is the company that thought "lets release Titanfall 2 at almost the exact same time as Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare!"

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I loving love deserts and desert levels.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

The first world was pretty dull but not because it was a desert... Mostly because you just drive around it and stop to finish 3 jump puzzles and then that's it. Just as it got interesting (delving into the techno-dungeon) it tells you the trial is over

I really liked the sandy desert section of Nier.

You can skid around down sand dunes, lots of interesting features like old pipes and flowing sand "water" falls at some of the map borders.

So interesting deserts can absolutely be done. If you design them that way anyhow.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

CottonWolf posted:

they're letting streamers show off more tomorrow so EA is in dmg control mode and maybe confident they can reverse peoples opinions. At least we'll get more gifs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Anything with a Dry Bones is also a good desert.