Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

DancingShade posted:

Featureless deserts render better on consoles.
I wonder if the poor animations and weirdly flat facial textures might have something to do with getting a huge game like this running on consoles?
It is a large download, with huge zones as supposedly the smallest planet is as big as the biggest DA:I zone. They might have cut corners hard on the animation to fit more environments in.

Wouldn't even be the first time, remember how ME3 removed the gun holstering animation, and gave us a much worse run animation to save on memory?

CottonWolf posted:

The more I see reviews pointedly implying that "It gets better" the more I think that EA was completely stupid to offer an EA access version of this. It's either not true, and people knowing the game's bad ahead of time will reduce sales, or it is true and they completely shot themselves in the foot by only showing the weak start.
A big publisher loving themselves over with stupid decisions? Why that has never happened before!

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
tbh i think the problem comes down to biowares bad art direction. they should stylize people & environments better instead of going for bad realistic, its not a good look tbf

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

CottonWolf posted:

Anything with a Dry Bones is also a good desert.

dry bones is an insane politoon guy tho so i 100% want it in the game

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

I can tell you right now, day one mod, get rid of the loving space-flight zooming around between planets in the galaxy map. Holy poo poo how utterly pointless.

But my immersion

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

E:/\/\ What I don't get is why they simply don't let you skip it. Click once for the scenic route, click again to jump cut to your destination, just like the Nomad had its dis/embark animations removed for gameplay purposes.

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

tbh i think the problem comes down to biowares bad art direction. they should stylize people & environments better instead of going for bad realistic, its not a good look tbf
Yeah. I honestly think SWTOR looks better than this because of it's stylized look.
ME:A looks like they took SWTOR and slapped realistic skin textures on top of it, and looks way worse for it.
That said, the aliens that don't have human faces, Salarians, Krogan, and Turians look pretty good. Your pilot, Vetra and Drack in particular look fantastic.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 18, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

Anything with a Dry Bones is also a good desert.

Dry Bones needs to be an unlockable DLC character in ME Andromeda for the Switch.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

And objectify women and men? Disgusting pig, it's 2017, go back to 2002 if you want filth. Is that what the problem is with the game? Pigs don't appreciate realism instead of pandering to the dead patriarchy?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

A big publisher loving themselves over with stupid decisions? Why that has never happened before!

I think I've said it before, but I honestly don't think anyone at EA's business level cared. They expect a ME game to sell, even if demos poorly so they'll run it out to funnel more folks into their subscription program. They're probably more than willing to eat some canceled preorders and bad previews if it means they get more monthly fees out of a fraction of their base.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Skippy McPants posted:

I think I've said it before, but I honestly don't think anyone at EA's business level cared. They expect a ME game to sell, even if demos poorly so they'll run it out to funnel more folks into their subscription program. They're probably more than willing to eat some canceled preorders and bad previews if it means they get more monthly fees out of a fraction of their base.

Yep, also EA is so big any media outlet so much as think of scoring this below 80 will get blown the gently caress out of the advertisement airlock. I read a tweet earlier saying the embargo might be moved forward as well, EA don't give a poo poo they're absolutely in charge.

Lots of youtubers making GBS threads on it though.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A french streamer somehow gets a default Sara Ryder that looks a lot less goofy

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/6010ab/no_spoilers_sara_ryder_corrected_face_leaked/

https://gfycat.com/GrandVigilantImago

:iiam:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

The access program, as I mentioned on the last page, is actually pretty good though. I mean, it's more than twice as expensive if you pay per month, but the 25 bucks for a year is really cheap for what it provides.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Daztek posted:

A french streamer somehow gets a default Sara Ryder that looks a lot less goofy

:iiam:

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
3 hours into the trial:

1. Ryder's walking and running animations suddenly change into slow motion mode, only way to fix it seems to restart the game
2. Assault rifle doesn't actually fire, it just plays the animation when I click the left mouse button, but even standing in front of an enemy doesn't let you hit him. Restarting the game doesn't fix this.
3. Powers do not work - at all. Restarting the game doesn't fix that either.

Cool game so far.

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 18, 2017

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Groetgaffel posted:

I wonder if the poor animations and weirdly flat facial textures might have something to do with getting a huge game like this running on consoles?
It is a large download, with huge zones as supposedly the smallest planet is as big as the biggest DA:I zone. They might have cut corners hard on the animation to fit more environments in.

Isn't their lead animator a flash animator and cosplayer with no previous experience? Seems more likely that might be an issue to me

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Isn't their lead animator a flash animator and cosplayer with no previous experience? Seems more likely that might be an issue to me
Might be both. An inexperienced animator is more likely to end up with something horribly optimised.

E: VVVV Just because it looks decent doesn't mean it doesn't take way more power than it needs to.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Groetgaffel posted:

Might be both. An inexperienced animator is more likely to end up with something horribly optimised.

Shouldn't you accidentally kind of get it right-ish after 5 years though? The way I understand it is that animation is hard grafting, and long hours, shouldn't you pick up something grinding 5 years?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

The access program, as I mentioned on the last page, is actually pretty good though. I mean, it's more than twice as expensive if you pay per month, but the 25 bucks for a year is really cheap for what it provides.

Sure, sure. I'm not making any comments about the quality of EA Access. It seems fine. I'm just speculating that EAs marketing team wouldn't give two shits about the first few hours of ME: A being a slow burn. They care that it's a ME game. People love Mass Effect, so it'll up their attachment rate whether or not it makes a good first impression.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

bluegoon posted:

Shouldn't you accidentally kind of get it right-ish after 5 years though? The way I understand it is that animation is hard grafting, and long hours, shouldn't you pick up something grinding 5 years?

Yes, and there's plenty of animation that does look pretty okay, but to get things looking right, you need a human to go in and tweak stuff like animation and lighting. I'd bet on it being an issue of resources. They either over scoped or understaffed and had to lean too much on procedural tech.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Skippy McPants posted:

Sure, sure. I'm not making any comments about the quality of EA Access. It seems fine. I'm just speculating that EAs marketing team wouldn't give two shits about the first few hours of ME: A being a slow burn. They care that it's a ME game. People love Mass Effect, so it'll up their attachment rate whether or not it makes a good first impression.

Dude people on youtube with a shitton of followers are making GBS threads on this game very hard, almost too much if you ask me, and it releases in 72 hours.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, fair enough. They're probably right too, they'll undoubtedly turn a profit on it either way.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

bluegoon posted:

Dude people on youtube with a shitton of followers are making GBS threads on this game very hard, almost too much if you ask me, and it releases in 72 hours.

And? I'm not really sold on youtube zeitgeist being enough to tank a AAA release. I remember a lot of people taking a dump on FO4 at or near its release and it sold just dandy.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Skippy McPants posted:

Yes, and there's plenty of animation that does look pretty okay, but to get things looking right, you need a human to go in and tweak stuff like animation and lighting. I'd bet on it being an issue of resources. They either over scoped or understaffed and had to lean too much on procedural tech.

I dunno from what I've heard the studio is Bioware Montreal and was filled with graduates, told my wife about this last night, she immediately said wtf where was the senior oversight? How the hell do you let $40 000 000 just run out over the years without any proper oversight, someone to just say whoa what the gently caress are you kids doing with the animations?!

I kinda agree I actually feel bad for graduates who now have their names under the Animation portion of the credits, this smells of poo poo management rather than staff issues.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Skippy McPants posted:

Are you on PC? Spend some time tinkering around with Cheat Engine and nail down the memory addresses for all the common crafting materials so you can have that poo poo ready to go for release day.

I messed around with it a little but didn't save any of the addresses. Money and skill points are easy enough to edit but your skill points reset to what they would have been without cheating if you log out. Resources are a bit weird and I think they use a float address which I'm not really sure how to narrow down. No doubt someone else that knows what they're doing will have done it by day 1 though.

Like almost everyone else my feelings on it are mixed. It's definitely Inquisition in space but they have toned down on the stupid collectibles. At least I've only come across the memory fragments, which at least have plot tied to them. The 4 or 5 side quests I've done have all been pretty bland but not much more-so than the side quests in the other games. The voice acting is average at best and terrible at worst. I got used to the facial animations by ignoring them and just reading the subtitles. I've come across a lot of graphical glitches but I haven't noticed any bugs.
I can't seem to maintain interest in playing for more than about 30-45 mins at a time but that might be because I know the time is limited on the trial so I'm shutting it down any time I get distracted or need to get up for anything. Or it might just be kind of boring. I don't have a feeling of excitement about finding out what mysteries there might be on the first planet.
From what I've seen of them, all the companions suck. Sure they may pick up and be great, but I doubt it. They're all just so bland. Be prepared to listen to a lot of repeated banter. I think Vetra and the other one (Cora?) have two possible bits of banter they can have on Eos and they repeat it a lot.
I do want to see where the story goes but at the same time I might be ok with someone just bullet pointing the major beats. I'm really not invested.

Definitely don't pre-order this (or anything) but if the bulk of reviews coming out on Monday from people that have seem further into the game are really positive then it might be worth picking up on day 1 if you just want to play the new Mass Effect.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Skippy McPants posted:

And? I'm not really sold on youtube zeitgeist being enough to tank a AAA release. I remember a lot of people taking a dump on FO4 at or near its release and it sold just dandy.

Well then this is the perfect testbed for the theory because I saw Pewdiepie shred this game to poo poo, its on 2m views right now. That's one guy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Looks like someone leaked the ending of Andromeda on youtube. Surprise surprise, it ends with another party. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcvdDtnM_0

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Youtube absolutely influence the general perception of a game, but nowhere near enough to make or break it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Looks like someone leaked the ending of Andromeda on youtube. Surprise surprise, it ends with another party. :rolleyes:

If ME: A ends with a pie fight I will pre-order every Bioware release for the next fifty years.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
ea is probably gonna dump money into youtubers and streamers and boogie2009

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Groetgaffel posted:

Youtube absolutely influence the general perception of a game, but nowhere near enough to make or break it.

Sure marketing probably passing something like this around..

link to the vid..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MEKM2amQ2E&t=27s

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

Yeah, and clearly I'm talking out of my rear end here, but I can see very much see someone at Bioware saying "hey, we're setting up a whole new thing here and it takes a while to get rolling. I'm not sure it'll make the best demo," and getting a response of "we don't care, it's a popular franchise and it'll bring people into our ecosystem. Gimmie."

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well, I went out and got shitfaced for saint patrick's and now I have a massive hangover, time now to take a big drink of soothing water and read some updates from my favorite poster utanyan

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

bluegoon posted:

Well then this is the perfect testbed for the theory because I saw Pewdiepie shred this game to poo poo, its on 2m views right now. That's one guy.

the game is getting shredded by almost every article put out on it. at best, you have that kotaku piece that damns with faint praise and the RPS article that said it is just kind of inconsistent and boring. the GB stream was not promising and the pcgamer article had one of their guys flat out say he hated it, one call it average, and another hoping it'd improve.

And these are institutions known for softballing any and all criticism

The people saying it are good are saying so because it is 'playable' or 'fun' or they would bug anything with the words MASS EFFECT printed on it. And it's okay to do so, but pretending this game is anything but a 6/10 at best based on what has been seen is bizarre.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm sure Andromeda is going to sell a bazillion copies no matter what as there's too much inertia at this point, but to think that a franchise can never be tarnished or lose followers over time irrespective to quality is naive at best.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

You missed the bit where it shows you what happens to the Reapers if you chose Synthesis back in ME3.

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

ea is probably gonna dump money into youtubers and streamers and boogie2009
Ah yes, the Ubisoft style marketing. Worked quite well for For Honour though.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Milky Moor posted:

the game is getting shredded by almost every article put out on it. at best, you have that kotaku piece that damns with faint praise and the RPS article that said it is just kind of inconsistent and boring. the GB stream was not promising and the pcgamer article had one of their guys flat out say he hated it, one call it average, and another hoping it'd improve.

The people saying it are good are saying so because it is 'playable' or 'fun' or they would bug anything with the words MASS EFFECT printed on it. And it's okay to do so, but pretending this game is anything but a 6/10 at best based on what has been seen is bizarre.

a 6/10 would cost you dearly as a company reliant on advertising sales. They'll scathe it in previews but will have to bend the knee to EA come reviews (Monday, but might be extended to later the week by EA.). Even Army of Two scored mid 70s on Metacritic, while Edge Magazine slammed it with a 4/10.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Or, bear with me here, some people don't give a poo poo about how bad the game looks and how bad the story is, and only care about how fun and good it feels to play.
I really enjoyed being a biotic pinball again, like the profile system, and the shooty bits in general and would put it at like a 70-75 %.
Trying to set an objective score on a game is really loving silly.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And review metrics have always been poo poo, in any case.

However, if the pressure forces EA/Bioware to actually invest in developing their tech and staff to the point where their characters don't look like real dolls anymore then that'll be great. Games that lean on their characters should have good character animation.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Skippy McPants posted:

And review metrics have always been poo poo, in any case.

However, if the pressure forces EA/Bioware to actually invest in developing their tech and staff to the point where their characters don't look like real dolls anymore then that'll be great. Games that lean on their characters should have good character animation.

Well poo poo it's a business and it's all about profits and mocap is expensive so...

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I'd love to see Obsidian getting a shot at the IP.
Just like they made a better KotOR and a better Fallout 3, they'd probably manage to make a better Mass Effect as well.

Why aren't there anyone besides Bioware making Space RPGs? :(
The only alternatives to Mass Effect I can think of are Bad MMOs, like SWTOR that is still Bioware, or, uh, STO I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014