Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That account reads so weird

https://twitter.com/YoungLiberalsUK/status/842839056765607938

How do you do, fellow young persons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

jBrereton posted:

"Before standing armies we would never go to war over abstract ideas or, more pointedly, territorial disputes the average Brit does not care about" claim those with a sketchy at best understanding of history.

Good job only you made that claim then.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jose posted:

Young liberals do suk it's true

as opposed to other kinds of liberals?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Baron Corbyn posted:

as opposed to other kinds of liberals?

Dead ones are good, apparently.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Man in the pub discussion time.

If you were suddenly the secret king of the UK would you do away with the nukes and reduce the military in general? Discuss.

My view.

Id dismantle the whole trident system and not replace but keep the warheads so we could threaten to bomb them on something in the extremely unlikely situation even a threat of that is needed. Id offer the people made out of work from this technical jobs in the government structure somewhere.

I'd keep all the new warships on order and the ones that have just been built because it would probably more hassle to stop all that. Retire all the poo poo ones and relocate the workers to something useful.

Massively reduce the army in a nice way, they learnt plenty of skills doing that stuff, infrastructure building maybe under new ministry.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

We lease the Trident missiles - would you continue to pay the lease on something you had no intention of using and even then, had no way of using anyway (seeing as you have scrapped the launch system)?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Dead ones are good, apparently.

I suppose the younger they are, the further they are from good. Question withdrawn.

Dead Goon posted:

We lease the Trident missiles - would you continue to pay the lease on something you had no intention of using and even then, had no way of using anyway (seeing as you have scrapped the launch system)?

we already have no intention of using them though.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Redirect all military spending into aerospace, robotics and energy research, scrap all nukes and just use orbital tungsten harpoon launchers, and robot armies with coilguns. Go full LFTR for energy generation. Suddenly the other countries start doing the same and you've tricked the world into cheap energy robot space utopia and defeated climate change.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

Bomb as in drop them as a bomb.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd replace the whole thing with a one shot planet killer, like an asteroid pilot or that thing that can tenfold the output of the sun for a few years.

Also I'd have a skull throne but an ethical one so maybe MDF skulls or something.

Pochoclo posted:

Redirect all military spending into aerospace, robotics and energy research, scrap all nukes and just use orbital tungsten harpoon launchers, and robot armies with coilguns. Go full LFTR for energy generation. Suddenly the other countries start doing the same and you've tricked the world into cheap energy robot space utopia and defeated climate change.
e: Or that, that sounds good.

e2: Do we even have any good bombers for that?

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 18, 2017

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Seaside Loafer posted:

Man in the pub discussion time.

If you were suddenly the secret king of the UK would you do away with the nukes and reduce the military in general? Discuss.

My view.

Id dismantle the whole trident system and not replace but keep the warheads so we could threaten to bomb them on something in the extremely unlikely situation even a threat of that is needed. Id offer the people made out of work from this technical jobs in the government structure somewhere.

I'd keep all the new warships on order and the ones that have just been built because it would probably more hassle to stop all that. Retire all the poo poo ones and relocate the workers to something useful.

Massively reduce the army in a nice way, they learned plenty of skills doing that stuff, infrastructure building maybe under new ministry.

Reducing the military AND getting rid of the nukes is really dumb. Especially in a time where NATO might not exist in a few years. The world is peaceful for these reasons: 1) Nato (mainly America) 2) Nukes 3) No one wants the world economy to collapse.

1 is on shaky ground because of Trump. 3 seems like it could go at any moment with poo poo like Brexit and, again, Trump loving around.

Instead of reducing the military I'd keep the budget the same, or maybe raise it a small amount, but put almost all of it into the Navy. We're an island nation. We need a decent top of the line Navy. Instead, we've let the navy rot in order to fund the Army so we can stick our nose where it doesn't belong.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

It is an ideological and possibly naive position I have. I just wonder if a just about first world nation lead the way by completely scrapping its nukes (I think South Africa did it as well to be fair) and reducing the gently caress out of military spending in total and spent it on something good instead it might lead to progress.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Prince John posted:

Interesting disparity between the real and the imagined level of expected acceptance there.

Still a bizarre question though, who the gently caress wants to talk about their sexuality at work?

i'd have thought better of you. that's such a shortsighted attitude.
what does talking about your sexuality at work mean? it means being able to engage in perfectly normal office conversation like "did you go anywhere nice on your two weeks off" without constantly second guessing pronouns to hide the gender of your partner.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

great time to be in healthcare, let's hope the gov don't have to bring in private companies to boost nursing numbers

quote:

The number of EU nationals registering as nurses in England has dropped by 92% since the Brexit referendum in June, and a record number are quitting the NHS, it can be revealed.

The shock figures have prompted warnings that Theresa May’s failure to offer assurances to foreigners living in the UK is exacerbating a staffing crisis in the health service.

Only 96 nurses joined the NHS from other European nations in December 2016 – a drop from 1,304 in July, the month after the referendum.

At the same time, freedom of information responses from 80 of the 136 NHS acute trusts in England show that 2,700 EU nurses left the health service in 2016, compared to 1,600 EU nurses in 2014 – a 68% increase.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/18/nhs-eu-nurses-quit-record-numbers

of course the government has increased the limit on those who can train to be nurses at university by scrapping the bursary and giving everyone loans

quote:

The NHS is already under pressure because of a long-term failure to hire enough people. Applications for nursing courses plummeted by almost a quarter in a year after the government axed bursaries for trainees in 2016. Numbers fell by 9,990 to 33,810 in 12 months, according to figures released in February by the university admissions service Ucas.

Meanwhile, one in three nurses is due to retire in the next 10 years and there are 24,000 nurse jobs unfilled, RCN figures show.

Looke fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 18, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Looke posted:

great time to be in healthcare, let's hope the gov don't have to bring in private companies to boost nursing numbers

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/18/nhs-eu-nurses-quit-record-numbers

of course the government has increased the limit on those who can train to be nurses at university by scrapping the bursary and giving everyone loans

Oh no, no one could possibly have predicted that EU healthcare personnel would start leaving!

Also lol the NHS will be sold to the highest bidder (USA megacorps) in 3 years tops.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Cerv posted:

i'd have thought better of you. that's such a shortsighted attitude.
what does talking about your sexuality at work mean? it means being able to engage in perfectly normal office conversation like "did you go anywhere nice on your two weeks off" without constantly second guessing pronouns to hide the gender of your partner.
I've had a couple of people speculate that im gay on my new contract because im oldish, not married and smartish most of the time. Its funny. Little do they know what evil (lovely) poo poo im to with my gently caress-buddys. Its bloody Essex though innit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In weird as gently caress and probably counterproductive news:

Transaction analysis to prevent money laundering and people trafficking is a good thing, and they've outlined several ways that that they're doing that through monitoring restaurants, airlines, anonymous payments, etc. but that headline. :psyduck:

I can't think of any time that giving the impression that you're policing contraception or scaring sex workers away from purchasing prophylactics has ever had good results.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

A Malgorithm in the printed-press!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TinTower posted:

It plays well with the Hooker with a Heart of Gold trope the public believe in.

Death to tropers

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pochoclo posted:

Oh no, no one could possibly have predicted that EU healthcare personnel would start leaving!

Also lol the NHS will be sold to the highest bidder (USA megacorps) in 3 years tops.

Yeah so far most of the talk is about "we won't guarantee people can stay" - "So deportations could happen then?" - "Nobody's saying that! What a terrible thing to say!", and in the meantime people are either wandering off or not coming anyway.

That and if we talk about EU citizens having/choosing to go home, "home" in this case is the EU27 + EFTA zone, so it's not like someone who was bored of Poland/Germany/Cyprus and came to the UK has to go back to that country, and therefore might reluctantly stick with the UK.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

baka kaba posted:

That account reads so weird

https://twitter.com/YoungLiberalsUK/status/842839056765607938

How do you do, fellow young persons?

Its like one of those image identification AIs.
Like yes its true and correct but in such a wrong way

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

Instead of reducing the military I'd keep the budget the same, or maybe raise it a small amount, but put almost all of it into the Navy. We're an island nation. We need a decent top of the line Navy. Instead, we've let the navy rot in order to fund the Army so we can stick our nose where it doesn't belong.

With modern tech, if your plan is not getting invaded by Russia, you would probably be better reinforcing the RAF and giving the Army serious business surface to ship missiles and relying on the US to protect our food imports. If they can't or won't do even that much for the duration of a modern war we're hosed anyway.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Relying on bombers as your sole nuclear deterrent is a really really really bad idea. They have a couple of very big problems: they require infrastructure like runways and airports to launch (guess what your enemy would be aiming to destroy first in a hypothetical nuclear first strike!), and they're fat, slow, and comparatively easy to shoot down before they reach their target. Submarine-launched ballistic missiles are launched from things that are effectively invisible when deployed (and so can't be destroyed by an enemy's first strike), and are also near-impossible to shoot down with modern technology - it turns out that it's quite hard to even keep track of lumps of metal travelling through space at 7 km/s, never mind hitting them with anything.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

In weird as gently caress and probably counterproductive news:

Transaction analysis to prevent money laundering and people trafficking is a good thing, and they've outlined several ways that that they're doing that through monitoring restaurants, airlines, anonymous payments, etc. but that headline. :psyduck:

I can't think of any time that giving the impression that you're policing contraception or scaring sex workers away from purchasing prophylactics has ever had good results.

can't wait for the police to smash in the door of an extremely horny couple

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Just give it up mate, the political version of the 'science' of business intelligence ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_intelligence ) is being used by our government to do whatever the gently caress they want with it and this has been the case for the past 5 years or so. Its to late this is big brother already. This post probably got noted because in a previous thread I said something about suitcase sized nuclear weapons.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

Relying on bombers as your sole nuclear deterrent is a really really really bad idea. They have a couple of very big problems: they require infrastructure like runways and airports to launch (guess what your enemy would be aiming to destroy first in a hypothetical nuclear first strike!), and they're fat, slow, and comparatively easy to shoot down before they reach their target. Submarine-launched ballistic missiles are launched from things that are effectively invisible when deployed (and so can't be destroyed by an enemy's first strike), and are also near-impossible to shoot down with modern technology - it turns out that it's quite hard to even keep track of lumps of metal travelling through space at 7 km/s, never mind hitting them with anything.

I didn't mean bombers - this isnt the 50s - and I was assuming we keep Trident. It's our carriers and other surface ships I'm querying.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
To have a proper nuclear deterrent you need a bit of everything: strategic bombers, mobile, land based systems and submarines. It's called the Nuclear Triad and it ensures that no matter what, you'll preserve enough of your nuclear forces to launch retaliatory strikes in the event of an attack.

Britain's 'credible' deterrent consists of one poxy submarine floating around in the North Sea, operating from a single base. All the Russians would have to do is destroy that single active submarine, then nuke the spares at Faslane to render us completely defenseless against them. It's the usual British compromise: we don't dump our nukes completely, 'cos that'll make us look 'weak' but we're not prepared to spend the money to have something that'd actually be effective, either.

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
Why did Russia and the west decide to hate each other again after the USSR collapsed anyway?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

and i must meme posted:

Why did Russia and the west decide to hate each other again after the USSR collapsed anyway?
Because the alternative is a more complex narrative, hope that helps.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

and i must meme posted:

Capitalism is probably to blame, if you peel back all the layers.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the Soviet Union exited the stage with a grace rather akin to Britain in the Middle East. there are lot of ethnic Russians in places that are nationalistically passionate about not being Russia, and there are lots of people ethnically passionate about not being Russian citizens in places that, for most intents and purposes, are Russia

the West did not pay all that much attention to Chechnya, but Russia did

in TYOOL 2017 we are now, once again, reconciled to the fact that Moscow cannot be meaningfully strongarmed by the threat of international isolation and concerted European exclusion - we are now a very long way from the humiliating experience of the First Chechen War

atop that - it was probably a bad idea to let the 1998 default occur as it did - but the Lewinsky scandal was raging and Clinton did not have the political strength to execute a rescue as per the 1995 Mexico bailout. On such things does history turn.

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 18, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

ronya posted:

atop that - it was probably a bad idea to let the 1998 default occur as it did - but the Lewinsky scandal was raging and Clinton did not have the political strength to execute a rescue as per the 1995 Mexico bailout. On such things does history turn.

It'd be the perfect end for mankind: destroyed because of a blowjob

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Like yes its true and correct but in such a wrong way
Much like many Young Liberals.

Jose posted:

can't wait for the police to smash in the door of an extremely horny couple
As long as everyone involved consents. :pervert:

Seaside Loafer posted:

Just give it up mate, the political version of the 'science' of business intelligence ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_intelligence ) is being used by our government to do whatever the gently caress they want with it and this has been the case for the past 5 years or so. Its to late this is big brother already. This post probably got noted because in a previous thread I said something about suitcase sized nuclear weapons.
Yeah but the morality of the intended and unintended consequences of the things that they do with that data are still things that can be challenged. NYC stopped police from using the presence of condoms in handbags as evidence of sex work quite recently, after a collective of activists and social workers went to the mayor and said "would you prefer them to be working without condoms?"

Your interactions with a pharmacist should be protected the same as those with a lawyer or a doctor should be, and nobody, especially sex workers, should be put off accessing birth control and prophylactics.

feedmegin posted:

I didn't mean bombers - this isnt the 50s - and I was assuming we keep Trident. It's our carriers and other surface ships I'm querying.
:cryingvulcan:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

To have a proper nuclear deterrent you need a bit of everything: strategic bombers, mobile, land based systems and submarines. It's called the Nuclear Triad and it ensures that no matter what, you'll preserve enough of your nuclear forces to launch retaliatory strikes in the event of an attack.

Britain's 'credible' deterrent consists of one poxy submarine floating around in the North Sea, operating from a single base. All the Russians would have to do is destroy that single active submarine, then nuke the spares at Faslane to render us completely defenseless against them. It's the usual British compromise: we don't dump our nukes completely, 'cos that'll make us look 'weak' but we're not prepared to spend the money to have something that'd actually be effective, either.

In TYOOL 2017 strategic bombers are only useful for making the Air Force not feel left out in countries with the money to spend that much on nukes; it's politics not military usefulness. The idea of that one submarine of course is that it is very difficult to find, but the solution to any fears in that regard is lots more submarines, not to also add aircraft and land based systems. Especially for us given how little warning time we'd get from a Russian first strike (and China isn't that much better) and how small we are (not many places to hide said land based systems, compared to the US).

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Imo bombers are the best since you can't go out dr Strangelove style from a submarine launched missile

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
a lot of stuff is too small to warrant credible annihilation but is too big to just give up

and once you have bombers for those, well, fitting them to be able to hypothetically carry nukes doesn't seem like a stretch

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
A doomsday device is the way to go. Plant sufficiently many large enough nukes under the entirety of the UK that we can respond to any first strike by wiping the British Isles from the map and filling the atmosphere with enough radioactive dust that no sunlight reaches the planet's surface for the next decade and the topsoil of the entire globe is deadly to all life.

That's the kind of deterrent that people respect. "You can't nuke us, we'll nuke us first, and also turn the Earth into a sterile, glow-in-the-dark snowball."

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

A doomsday device is the way to go. Plant sufficiently many large enough nukes under the entirety of the UK that we can respond to any first strike by wiping the British Isles from the map and filling the atmosphere with enough radioactive dust that no sunlight reaches the planet's surface for the next decade and the topsoil of the entire globe is deadly to all life.

That's the kind of deterrent that people respect. "You can't nuke us, we'll nuke us first, and also turn the Earth into a sterile, glow-in-the-dark snowball."

That was a plot device from an episode of Doctor Who, which we honestly may as well get our military ideas from at this point.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
that only deters being nuked to annihilation

it doesn't even deter, say, a credible commitment to nuke only one british city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can it be Coventry?

• Locked thread