Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
This was a random thought while watching Game of Thrones but Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister) would make a great Imperial Admiral type in the movies or his voice for this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

He seems tailor made to be General Hux's dad

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

radlum posted:

FWIW there are very spoilery clips of the episode in YouTube; I saw them as recommendations for that youtube video posted above.

Yep apparently the episode dropped early on a few cable on-demand services, so watch out y'all

I know what happens :stare:

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

NTRabbit posted:

He seems tailor made to be General Hux's dad

I think the books explain that Hux's dad is dead.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SyRauk posted:

Oh, haven't read any of those.

Alternative thought, he could be the Admiral in command of the surviving New Republic fleet.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Yep apparently the episode dropped early on a few cable on-demand services, so watch out y'all

I know what happens :stare:

Wow, that was pretty anti-climactic.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

SyRauk posted:

I think the books also describe him as looking a little like Brendan Gleeson. Which I still can't decide whether I think is a cop out or not.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Il Federale posted:

Yeah it was super lame and devoid of any real character development for anyone. It's like they took lesson of the week and brought it to a whole new level of lameness.

Maul's end reminds me of the scene from Rushmore where Max Fischer gets his rear end kicked by the Scottish kid and then says to his former friend (who now hates him) "we got 'im Dirk, we got 'im."

I'm trying to think of a way to read what happened and what he said as deep/insightful/tragic/meaningful, but all I'm coming up with is lazy, bad writing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Il Federale posted:

Chickenwalker posted:

Yeah it was super lame and devoid of any real character development for anyone. It's like they took lesson of the week and brought it to a whole new level of lameness.

Maul's end reminds me of the scene from Rushmore where Max Fischer gets his rear end kicked by the Scottish kid and then says to his former friend (who now hates him) "we got 'im Dirk, we got 'im."

I'm trying to think of a way to read what happened and what he said as deep/insightful/tragic/meaningful, but all I'm coming up with is lazy, bad writing.

The episode as a whole was ehh, but I thought the duel was as perfect as it could have been. It gave me goosebumps with how it ended so swift and abrupt, and I loved how it added one last layer to Maul before his demise. It also goes to show how Obi-Wan and Vader's knowledge and experience were on an entirely different level when you compare the A New Hope duel to this Twin Suns duel. Obi-Wan made Maul look like a chump (again), but this time with way more finesse. It was awesome.

[edit] Also, Obi-Wan's VA was totally on point. Really sounded like OT Alec Guinness :allears:

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 18, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

teagone posted:

[edit] Also, Obi-Wan's VA was totally on point. Really sounded like OT Alec Guinness :allears:

According to IMDB it's still James Arnold Taylor

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

According to IMDB it's still James Arnold Taylor

That's for the holocron scene at the beginning. Old man Ben is played by Stephen Stanton.

I loved it. Obi-Wan has reached another level of understanding with the Force. Maul was completely outmatched, and had already lost the moment he showed up. Everyone else can busy themselves with fighting the Empire, but Kenobi has a higher purpose, and the Force is with him.

It was perfect.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The very end, while uplifting and nice and the music was great I kind of wish they didn't show it in Rebels, the implication was enough.

Obi-wan changed his stance to that of Qui-gon, this makes Maul try the same move he killed Qui-gon with.

Mauls last words were basically mirroring Quigon's last words.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-kcBKWs3oU

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
People on the internet are real mad about the Maul/Kenobi fight.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
I was skeptical about this episode going in but that was really great.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Using "Force Theme/Binary Sunset" over the end and the credits was great, and reminds just how amazing a composer John Williams is

thrawn527 posted:

That's for the holocron scene at the beginning. Old man Ben is played by Stephen Stanton.

I loved it. Obi-Wan has reached another level of understanding with the Force. Maul was completely outmatched, and had already lost the moment he showed up. Everyone else can busy themselves with fighting the Empire, but Kenobi has a higher purpose, and the Force is with him.

It was perfect.

drunkill posted:

The very end, while uplifting and nice and the music was great I kind of wish they didn't show it in Rebels, the implication was enough.

Obi-wan changed his stance to that of Qui-gon, this makes Maul try the same move he killed Qui-gon with.

Mauls last words were basically mirroring Quigon's last words.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-kcBKWs3oU

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

teagone posted:

The episode as a whole was ehh, but I thought the duel was as perfect as it could have been. It gave me goosebumps with how it ended so swift and abrupt, and I loved how it added one last layer to Maul before his demise. It also goes to show how Obi-Wan and Vader's knowledge and experience were on an entirely different level when you compare the A New Hope duel to this Twin Suns duel. Obi-Wan made Maul look like a chump (again), but this time with way more finesse. It was awesome.

Also all of this, it was great

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 18, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Using "Force Theme/Binary Sunset" over the end and the credits was great, and reminds just how amazing a composer John Williams is

Yep, that was a pleasant little surprise. You start the Binary Sunset cue, you best let it finish. :colbert:

Also, this Pablo tweet from earlier should provide a bit of insight as to what they were going for in regards to the climax of the episode:

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/843105374601465856

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 18, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

Yep, that was a pleasant little surprise. You start the Binary Sunset cue, you best let it finish. :colbert:

Also, this Pablo tweet from earlier should provide a bit of insight as to what they were going for in regards to the climax of the episode:

Yes! I knew it reminded me of something! Pablo gets it.

It's honestly one of my favorite moments in the show. It's the exact opposite of "light saber helicopters" from last season.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 18, 2017

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

SyRauk posted:

This was a random thought while watching Game of Thrones but Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister) would make a great Imperial Admiral type in the movies or his voice for this show.

Dance is my dream Tarkin, but he'd be good as pretty much any Imperial higher up.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

drunkill posted:

This is kind of mindblowing. If figured the change of stance had some significance, but didn't pick up on exactly what it meant. Fits perfectly with the samurai fight aesthetic too.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Good episode. But I'm really starting to get annoyed with how they handle ships in the show. A Gafffi stick shattering the canopy on the A-Wing?? And then a handheld rifle can penetrate its armor and then blow it up with just a few blasts? Stupid.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
Alright, first off if it's any consolation this post isn't me nerding out all in one go. It's collection of small nerdy posts I made on the Jedi Council Forums about the episode so far. So I'm not a total goon.... yeah I'm not fooling myself either. Anyways pick apart my massive analytical posts on why this episode needed Ezra Bridger in it to function as well as my analysis of the recently released Zero Hour Teaser and description.

Maul said in Holocrons of Fate his goal was far more simple. He had his chance to rebuild a foundation for a Empire on Malachor, and Kanan delayed him long enough for Ashoka to save Ezra. Maul had the perfect set up, if he had just used Ashoka to distract Vader long enough to kill him, as well as pretend to slip up on protecting those two from Vader's wrath, he could have taken Kanan, Ahoska, and Vader out and Would have plausible deniability about not helping the Jedi, because they're FIGHTING FREAKING VADER, JEDI DYING TO HIM IS KINDA HIS THING. I believe if Ahoska and Maul had worked together to defeat Vader, they could have had a decent chance of getting Vader while's he conflicted. Assuming Ashoka breaks through the mask again still in that hypothetical scenario. But even then, a former Sithlord who's been keeping up his skills since the Clones and the formerly trained by The Chosen One Ahoska could definitely best Vader. Before you try to say Vader would overpower them, I would like to point out that Obi-Wan was skilled enough to take out Anakin in ROTS, so being powerful doesn't mean tactics can't get the best of you. If you recall, Vader actively tried to convince Ahoska to reveal the location of any surviving Jedi, and directly stated "We need not be adversaries." He could have killed her in the first round, but went back to focus on the Holocron instead of doing what the obsessive Anakin/Vader would absolutely do and kill the last trace of Anakin. Finally how you interpret the "Then you will die." line as he seems to hesitate. Vader was playing with kids gloves on with Ashoka, a fact Maul would have ABSOLUTLEY have exploited if he hadn't gotten to drat eager to activate that super weapon. Also before you say Maul would be just as weak as he was in Twins Suns, remember that Maul was pretending to be weak in Twilight of the Apprentice until he could use being powerful to his adavantate. By Twin Suns, Maul has been so driven since Holociroms of Fate to find Kenobi, that's he done nothing but plot, scheme, and scavenge looking for a way to finish what Ezra chose to stop. He's not pretending to be weak and crazy anymore. It's become a reality.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, in short, Maul already had his grand, climatic, one last chance at glory moment. Malachor was active, if he had played it differently, he might have been able to convince the Jedi that having the super weapon would allow the Rebels to beat the Empire. He basically had (if it hadn't blown up) a Death Star before Palpatine's would have finished his (its still under construction at this point.) He had all the cards, a legitimate viable opening at Vader through Ahoska, a potentially very powerful new apprentice in Ezra, and if he had just used a fight with Vader to end Kanan and Ahoska while Maul took his opportunity to strike Vader down when he was still stable and sane enough to be that calculating, he would have had one best foundations to get back at Sidious. The Empire was treasonous cowards trained in a Empire indoctrinated by Sith values. They would join Maul the moment planets started going boom with such a weapon on his side. But he jumped the gun, and his best chance to reclaim everything was lost, an entire season ago.

Which honestly, makes this episode even more poignant with all that in hindsight. This is Maul at the end, trying to find some form of closure of his tragedy of a life. He has lost everything, and in some ways, was forsaken by what was left. (The Nightsisters were not very loyal to Maul in Vision's and Voices. If your going to rebuild Dathomirs Nightbrothers and Sisters, surely having a skilled former sithlord/semi-Nightbrother possessed would be considered, a waste of a good mind that knows more about what's going on in the galaxy than they currently do. So it's clear he's on the outs with them from that episode. Either way, Ezra destroyed the Shrine, so it's a moot point....though does that mean Ezra may technically be the person responsible for truly wiping out the Nightsisters for good? He was so genocidal, he wiped them out from ever coming back from the dead again...went on a tangent again didn't I? Darn it.)

Anyways, Maul. Of course it was gonna end with Maul getting chumped. and the way they did it in the episode was so themeatically tied with the OT that it adds even more layers. Some points.

1. Ben Kenobi is either so in tune with the Force he already knows about Ezra's exploits through them, or Bail Organa told Ben about Kanan and Ezra(considering A New Hope is all about getting a message and the plans to him in the beginning I don't think that's likely.) and Ben has kept tabs on everything going on in order to protect Luke from any outside interference. Either way, it shows Ben as remarkably competent, wise, and aboslutely accepting of his role as a Jedi even BEFORE he pulls out the light saber.

2. The conversation between Ben Kenobi and Ezra actually is the only thing that I wish this episode had more of in terms of time. Not because it's bad in any way, but because it so freaking good. I don't think anyone has pointed this out yet, mostly because they're so focused on the Maul/Kenobi relationship, but the short bit of a Ezra/Kenobi dynamic actually was fascinating to me because Luke has very different reactions to being mentored by Kenobi. Yes Ezra only talked to him for few moments, but it was obvious that Kenobi, due to understanding Ezra's desire to help and trying to do the right thing , decided to use Maul literally coming to kill Ben as a teaching moment so Ezra can put on the right path. I'll elaborate on "Your in the wrong place." Line in relation to Ezra, prophecy, and what the point out Bendu's warning was, but I just want to reiterate. Luke always was a bit dismissive of Ben until Ben actually started telling him about the Jedi, Clone Wars, and all that, as well as slightly afterward. A lot of people seem to forget that Luke only became super adamant about respecting Obi-Wan after ObiWan had sacrificed himself to save the rest of them. Luke only saw his true nature as a Jedi at the moment of Obi WANs end. Ezra on the other hand, doesn't have any misconceptions about Obi Wan as a person. He knows he's a great Jedi master, he knows he's skilled in the Force. Ezra doesn't disrespect Kenobi as apperently some people are implying due to him rebuffing Obi-Wan again and again that Yes, Obi-Wan is the key to destroying the Sith, but it's that misconception with the Holocrons that's he's in denial about. He doesn't want to accept the fact that everything he's worked for, all things he's potentially risked, and maybe even sacrificed to get to the core of the entire PT and OT (the one to Destory the Sith and bring balance to the force etc.) was all for nothing. Just like how Anakin was in denial about the idea of Padme dying, because everything he felt he had fought to gain (a family, a happy life, a home.) '] might have been for nothing. And Obi-Wan say what he kept saying to Anakin? Try to guilt trip Ezra to half-heartedly agree to leave? No. Instead of trying to force Ezra to listen to his logic, he slowly and carefully helped Ezra understand that this wasn't his destiny by giving him the information, and presenting him with the rights questions Ezra needs to ask himself in order for him to break free of his denial.

That is the whole point of Ezra's arc in S2-S3. Him feeling he's unable to make a difference with his own power, so much to point at the end of S2 from the beginning of S3 he was blaming himself for what happened to Ashoka and Kanan. He sacrificed so much to get to Kenobi, when even Vader could not find him. If Clone War Anakin was in a situation similar to the one that Ezra was in in that moment, it would have been worse then just saying "but the Holocrons showed me." IT would have gotten violent, because Anakin is second only to Maul in the issues department, (number 1 though in the badass villain department.) The fact that Ezra was able to finally mature, let go, and try to fix his mistake (offering to help fight Maul with Kenobi) and when he was told to go where was he needed instead actually listen and be humble and just a good person like in the first half of S2 all the way up to Legacy? Ezra didn't need a dramatic duel with Kanan or something to be free of the darkside.

I mean come on. For once emotional issues and how to process them healthfully was done REALISTICALLY and MATURELY in Star Wars. It took not one moment, but small low-key conversations, events, and introspection on Ezra's part for him to process his life choices, realize what to do with his life, and finally grow into an adult by being willing to let go of his obsession of destroying the Sith, knowing his destiny lies with the Rebels. He's may be a Jedi, but above all he's a member of the Rebellion and the Ghost Crew. The child born on Empire Day must fight the Empire in its destructive might, not the fanatical members of the Sith.

3. Which leads me to my last point. (Finally.) Shut up inner text wall, I'm talking. Anyways, the quote that tied the entire Maul/Bendu/Kenobi/Kanan/Ezra arc for me was this quote. "Your in the wrong place." If I recall, in the trailer we think it's being said to Maul, but in the show it's said to Ezra. This is important. The Bendu warned that if a Jedi Holocrons and Sith Holocron were to merge, HIDDEN truths would be revealed, which Ezra (or Maul) would not be able to forget. This is the point that Kenobi was making. It isn't a certain point of view like people have been saying. If you read the dialogue completely straight, Kenboi actually is ELABORATING on why this type of Holocron merging is bad news. Luke WAS NEVER SUPPOSED EVER GET THIS CLOSE TO BEING DISOCVERED BY ANY DARKSIDER. The idea is that Luke was destined to grow into a young man in a peaceful environment, because that's what Anakin wasn't given as a child. True freedom. The Jedi as well as the Force are working to keep Luke in the right path, but the Force can only do so much. It can influence your actions, but Sith teachings are all about breaking your chains and bending the Force to YOUR WILL. Ben really wasn't lying or certain point of viewing Ezra. I think for once, Kenobi's was being completely straight and honest while also keeping Luke safe.

The writers played with the fear that all fans have of Rebels messing up the OT AND BREAKING CANON, and made it into a literal plot point and thematic resolution to Maul, Ezra, Kenobi's, and even Kanan's character arc to a certain extent. The threat Maul represented was the ultimate threat to the future of the galaxy. We know Maul will lose, but the plot was written to prey in our fears of canon being ruined, NOT the battle between Maul and Kenobi.

Ezra was in the wrong place. Maul manipulated him into going so far off HIS true destiny, he potentially almost doomed the future of the galaxy by pure naivety and immaturity. Doesn't make him a idiot, just an idealist and someone who wants to help and was fooled by someone who preys on that. But Ezra saw Kenobi's wisdom, did what Anakin couldn't, and that was assimilate every fact telling him to let this go, and trust in the Force and his instincts, (Funny how the Zero Hour teaser has Ezra saying May the Force be With me now huH?) and actually learn his lesson for good. Which once again says a lot about how Obi-WN has matured as a teacher in these years as well. But the final thing I'll say is this.

This wasn't a Maul arc finale episode with Ezra shoehorned in. This is Ezra's arc finale with Maul and Kenobi representing the paths Ezra can take. Maul and Anakin's self-destructive and obsessive path of the Sith, or the emotionally mature and moral sound path of the Jedi. Maul was and always has been in Rebels, a symbolic anatagonist towards Ezra then a physical one. He wanted Ezra to inherit his legacy. But in the end, Ezra, not Kanan, not Obi-Wan, not Yoda, but EZRA chose to reject that legacy. He's not a Sith. He's a Jedi.

And tying it all back together with the Holocrons of Fate, when faced with a choice with the temptation of Forbidden Knowledge or to trust the Bendu's (who at this point is just an Avatar for the Force itself at this point methinks.) warning and turn away before it was too late. Ezra turned away from the Holocron, he turned away from Maul in Visions, he turned away from Maul's path in Twin Suns. This is Ezra at his core. When faced with the darkness and temptation, he might hesitate for one moment, but he will always chose the light when push comes to shove.

EZRA IS A JEDI. May the Force be with you kid.

Post 2
I saw Kenobi as seeing a Verizon of Anakin in Ezra he could save before his obsession and his naive denial pushed further down a dark path to destruction. Kenobi finally learned that giving the questions to an young adult to figure out on their own with some guidance is far more effective than trying to make force them to accept the answers. Ezra is the midway point between Anakin and Luke. Not to driven by his obsession that he can't be reached, but not as willing to trust Kenobi's guidance as a young hopeful and naive Luke is. He's been in the Twilght for so long now. I finally think that Twilight of the Apprentice truly referred to Ezra in S2, not Ahsoka or Maul. He's been conflicted for so long due to his divergence from his true destiny, that he literally ended up essentially cutting himself off from others and focused on defeating the Sith. He became a twisted mirror to Kenobi's purpose if you think about it. But Ezra has found himself now.

But can we at least all agree that it was clever writing to essentially say straight up that Maul and Ezra nearly breaking canon was completely not in the Force's plan and was literally fighting tooth and nail to keep the prophecy from being threatened. And the fact is, it was absolutely Ezra's fault. He was the only one who would be insane enough to work with a unknown person to obtain a Sith Holocron and actually show him trust that was required to open up a Temple designed to test if the hypothetical 'Sith' duo in question are able to trust each other to obtain the Sith Holocron. It makes perfect sense now why Vader was confused as heck to how Ezra unlocked the secret of the temple. The Jedi have that trusting relationship, and Sith don't. You need to use the dark side to open the Temple Doors, while also relying on your partners power instead of your own to help you. And Jedi would never work with Sith to obtain knowledge like that. Ezra, by sheerly being crazy enough to trust and emapthize with a Sith legiamtely (at least on Malachor.) but also thanks to Visions and Voices we know Maul was actually effected by Ezra's empathy to where he didn't just want an apprnetice in Ezra, but even a brother.. Their relationship, however twisted, had a foundation of something geniune. Ezra somehow created a legitimate connection with a former Sith Lord by just being himself. That's what has always made Ezra dangerous. His ability to not only empathize with others, but to inspire empathy within them.

Post 3
Now moving on to topic of the Zero Hour teaser...*watches teaser, and laughs* I'm still gonna end up defending and analyzing Ezra again aren't I? Gonna ask, is there anyone other than me who thinks he's well written and likeable when he isn't processing emotional tramua by being blunt and stubborn. Though to be clear that stuff is well written too, because they don't want you to see his worst moments emtioanlly as healthy.

Just wanted to ask before I deleve once more into what it seems Ezra Bridger's purpose in the grand scheme of things is. So spoilers tags for the Zero hour teaser.
Ezra's message in S1 prompted the first cooperation between other rebel cells, triggering the domino effect that would lead to the Rebellion growing hot as Vader brought attention to the whole mess, but most importantly he chose to try and save Kanan, forcing the Rebel cells to act to keep that voice of hope alive. In season 2 Ezra was able to get the Clonez to help them find a list of Rebel bases, and helped Rex gain a new purpose as the old mentor for their Rebel cell. the Inquistors were defeated due to Ezra for better or worse, uniting Maul, Ahsoka and Kansan under a temporary alliance that successfully tore down the Inquisotrs, destroyed and essentially robbed a fully functional super weapon that would have the Death Star a pointless waste of money considering you had a prebuilt one made for the Sith personally from Sidious grasp, as well as keep a Sith Holocron of unknown knowledge from entering the hands of Vader and Sidious. It was, objectively, a victory for the Jedi against Vader apart from Kanan's eyes and Ashoka being taken off the board. And this temporary alliance would cause another domino effect, causing Maul and the Ghost crew to keep intersecting, eventually leading to Sabine obtaining the Dark Saber, a weapon her Clan would have a right too being House Visla, thus creating a scenario to build bridges between the splintered Mandalorian clans and bringing unity and balance, which if Zero Hour's teaser isn't red herring us, may be what saves Phoniex Cell from total annhilation. Leading to Ezra's portrayal in the teaser. Now that the Twin Suns arc is over and Ezra has finally accepted where he is, he finally becoming the heroic Jedi he was meant to be. Telling Mon Mothma he can't just give up, and the implication from the descriptions and such that he brings the Mandalorians to the Atallion attack just solidifies that Ezra's destiny was never tied to defeating the Sith. Luke is the Jedi who can reach Vader and defeat the Sith. Ezra was born on Empire Day, on the day of its founding. Every act of defiance and selflessness he makes inspires more to rally around the Rebels. Luke defeats the Sith, but it's Ezra who is bringing the pieces of the alliance together, the same pieces that will aid Luke in tearing down the Empire.

I think I know how the series will end. It's gonna end on an episode taking place on Empire Day, with it either being a time skip post Death Star 2, or Ezra at the end of the series making a decision that causes the final ripple in the Force needed to unify the Rebels together. And it will be on Empire Day.

Also to be clear, I'm not trying to say Ezra is like the Starkiller of the New Canon in the terms of making everyone else irreverent. I just mean that Ezra's talents stem truly from him follwing his natural selfless instincts (the Force) and the Force rewards his faith being willing to stand up for others with these domino effects. Yes trusting Maul lead to Kanan's blindness and Ahsoka's disappearance, but now Kanan is stronger in the Force and all they achieved in accomplishing by stopping Vader and the Inqusitors objectives relating to the super weapon on Malachor.. and now I'm repeating myself. All I'm saying is that Ezra's actions inspire people, and now it seems by Twin Suns he's mature enough to rise up as the leader he always could be. Any thoughts?

Post 4
Speaking on Kenobi knowing Ezra's destiny with the Rebellion, there's a fun little certain point of view thing you can miss in Maul's death scene. Here's something I would like to point out. If you just want to kill Kenobi, why spend all this time temtping Ezra to be his apprentice? While probably Maul conciously thought he was going to live, while subconsciously he wanted to bring closure of sorts to his life, if you use a bit of old comments made by Filoni and Sam Witwer about Maul prior to S3, they constantly mentiones Maul is looking to leave a legacy, something to prove he wasn't a failure. This element is reiterated in Holocrons of Fate when Maul says "Where does one who hides his identity hide his legacy?" So to some extent it wasn't just interview jargon, it's a plot point. So let me offer you this little stupid subtext analysis. If Ezra is the one who's actions seem to draw the Rebel Alliance to form, then it's because of Ezra and the Ghost crew that Luke is able to defeat Sidisin's thanks to their efforts to unknowingly set the stage for him to win. Thus Obi Wan, from a certain point of view, can respond to Maul's final question (Is he the Chosen One) with yes he is... from a certain point of view. Maul dies seeing his legacy before him, his chosen apprentice defeating Sidious is Empire. He is able to die knowing he did succeed at creating a legacy... Of course this is all just one interpretation of that comment, but considering the legacy aspect, and Kenobi actively pushing Ezra back on his true path, it could be a viable one to some extent.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Logical1234 posted:

Lots of good words.

This is a good post.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

NTRabbit posted:

Quite possibly my favorite part of the episode. Not to slight the duel, which I think had to play out the way it did, I just really love that musical cue and was hoping they'd bring it out.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

thrawn527 posted:

The Force is with him.

He is one with the Force.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
Had some more thoughts. Nothing to indepth yet, just mulling it over and need to get some feedback while I try to think it through.

At this point I don't think Erza will go dark, that's for certain, but the Zero Hour teaser does seem to be implying one key thing. Ezra for better or for worse, is the ultimate paradox of a potential Jedi in the Dark Times. Even more so than Luke. The key difference being his entire character arc. Looking at Ezra from all the way back during Empire Day to Twin Suns, you kinda realize how monumental the Twin Suns episode was for Ezra's character. In Empire Day to Gathering Forces, it's very clear that Ezra has major abandonment issues, and that even the idea at the time of knowing for certain if his parents might gone for other was messing with him. Of course, as I mentioned in my massive post dump, Ezra is at is core a person who will consider the temptation darkness for a moment, but when push comes to shove, he's able to see past his own ego and realize what the right thing to do is, and does it.

He considers because he is so afraid of losing the people he cares about, but more specifically, remember that Ezra's parents were taken away from him on his freaking birthday at the age of 8. He had to be self-sufficient, to survive under his strength of will and smarts. Ezra by nature tries to be pragmatic and proactive about solving problems, because of his street rat days. So of course he considers the power of the dark side for a moment, because Ezra has one of most unique problems a Jedi ever has faced, and it's been reiterated multiple times. Ezra doesn't let fear control him. He smacks talk Vader on Malachor (seriously I really loved the you'll die braver than most interaction between those two. I think Anakin in his somewhat more stable and less evil days would have taken a liking to Ezra if he been alive during the Clone Wars Era.

But back to the fear thing. In Season 1 Ezra conquers his fear of knowing the truth about his parents (and faces the cold horror of the reality of their death as best as he can in S2.) And when Yoda and him discuss why Ezra wants to be a Jedi, Ezra says he isn't afraid of being alone, but he is "afraid" of letting Kanan down, and seeing his friends get hurt. But this is where it gets interesting. The more the Temple in the Path of the Jedi episode tried to make Ezra more afraid, the more Ezra saw through the illusion. Inverse of Luke, who when entering the cave of Dagobah was fine with going nuts on Vader illusion to an extent. Ezra has seen the harshness of reality, the cynical side of the world. So trying to test him like that doesn't work because Ezra knows what it's like to be afraid, but his fear was originally rooted in being alone again as failing Kanan and seeing his friends die in front of him, would still technically be abandoning him. Death doesn't face him. Loneliness does.

But this is a big major divergence. See, some people say Ezra dark side arc in S3 was just Anakin 2.0. I disagree, but I do think comparing and contrasting Anakin/Vader and Ezra leads to some interesting aspects. Both has abandonment issues, both chafe under orders, they have dysfunctional relationship with their Master, both are smartasses, and both were given their first true introduction to the Dark Side by being manipulated by a Sith Lord trying to play on weaknesses. But here's the difference.

Anakin did EVERYTHING out selfish desire, to protect what he considered his. He also had total lack of empathy for those he saw as in the way of those he cared about, or what he consider his. My friends, my wife, my child, my family, my droid. Anakin was even at his best moments driven by a selfish possessive desire to be in control of everything, because as child he control over nothing.
On the flipside Ezra has had control over his own life not of choice, but out necessity for survival. He was a street rat, alone all the time, surviving. He had freedom, but wasn't really living. He didn't care about power of the Sith Holocron in S3 because he wants to control and "protect" his friends but because Ezra had literally entered the Jedi's equivalent of hell via Malachor, and because of his deal with devil and his inability to be strong enough on his own terms, his master was blinded, Ahsoka was put off the board, and right before he tried opening it. He probably thought all he succeeded in doing was keeping the Malachor super weapon from falling into Vader hands. In that moment if Kanan had been less focused on himself and on Ezra (as we learn in the S3 pilot via Kanan's conversation with the Bendu, it's pretty clear if Kanan hadn't been filled with self-doubt and fear due to his eyes,, he could have kept these events from escalating as they did.) he would have been able to reason with Ezra to not go down that rabbit hole.

That I suppose is another difference. It took Vader seeing his son being electrocuted by Sidioius for him to finally realize he was truly and utterly on the wrong side, finally learning what is master taught him about self-sacrifice. Anakin never was able to internalize ANYTHING Kenobi said, and that was in many ways due to their different experiences. Obi-Wan learning and mastering the Force over years of living in the Order, following the code, and not having the same expectations that Anakin, being the older child taken in by exception, as well as being potentially the Chosen One and thus was actively sheltered, which made a former slave like Anakin feel like he was in a prison, fueling his justification of his own opinions on the Jedi order.

Ezra on the other hand, has consistently tried to internalize the lessons Kanan has taught him, and has actively tried after the Holocrons of Fate to stay on the straight and narrow. Kanan and Ezra's relationship differ from Kenobi's and Anakin because Kanan and Ezra both understand what it's like to have fight to survive and be alone with yourself. Kanan is far less restrictive than Kenobi in the Clone Wars because he understands that Ezra isn't a Padawn of the formal Jedi order. He's a former street rat with s good heart but a lot of baggage. But Kanan also knows that people like him and Ezra need to be talked to directly, no dodging the questions, because by nature they don't want to confront their past. Their relationship interesting enough is quite unique because of Kanan's willingness to allow Ezra to actually process emotions, and supports trying to make connections.

But yeah, Ezra in many ways is what the Jedi were probably hoping Anakin would be when they took him in. A bit blunt, rough around the edges, but willing to learn and try his best to be better.

Final point on Ezra. I think it says a lot that Ezra, who's original fear was that of abandonment, was willing due to his obsession with destroying the Sith, abandon his entire team just to attempt find Kenobi. All because he has come so far, gotten this close, and sacrificed so much to get there. And against all odds, when Vader couldn't find Kenobi, when Maul couldn't, the Force ensure Ezra would be found by Kenobi, yes to set him back on the right path, but this what makes Ezra a very interesting character personality wise and in the grand scheme. What is his ending? At this point Kenobi makes it clear that Ezra has a pivotal role to play in the ensuring the success of the rebellion prior to Luke. But what is that destiny?

Ezra is not a Skywalker. He isn't a über powerhouse in that sense. But the one thing that makes him more frightening then even Luke or Vader in some regards if he ever fully went down the path of darkness(not gonna happen at this point, but hypotheticals you know?) is his ability to connect with life in all its forms. He can calm children who don't understand any language yet, masking his signature from inquisitors for a brief moment (S2, Future of the Force.) He can take control of giant monsters with ease when using the dark side (imagine. A rancor army commanded by Ezra.) And it's telling that the first major use of knowledge from the Sith Holocron in S3 Episode 1 was "forcibly" entering the mind of that walker trooper and making him kill his allies and commit suicide afterwards. And Ezra is definitely able to learn quickly as we've seen. If Ezra was fully trained, and was a dark sider, what could he do to your psyche if he so pleased?

In short, (so he says after writing another massive text wall.) {Shut up text box 0.1} I can say with honesty that Ezra Bridger has made me reconsider my stance on no Jedi past Return of the Jedi. I think that it would be the ultimate, satisfying payoff for all Ezra's been through these past 2 seasons, to at some point, maybe in a comic, to come face to face with Luke post ROTJ. He deserves in my opinion to meet Luke in person, to meet the person who would destroy the Sith, and realize that by helping the Rebellion, he ensured that Luke would have allies to help him win. Does anyone agree?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Episode was good. Fight was good.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Cross-Section posted:

All that scene in the climax needed was Kambei Shimada from Seven Samurai kneeling to the side and murmering. "look at their stances, it's so obvious"

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WXcdM-OCLs

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Bad Moon posted:

All that scene in the climax needed was Kambei Shimada from Seven Samurai kneeling to the side and murmering. "look at their stances, it's so obvious"

I went right to this scene too when I saw it. For anyone who has not seen it: http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/203402/Seven-Samurai-The-Movie-Clip-Don-t-Waste-Your-Life.html

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I like that, in a way, Maul found what he was looking for in his dying moments. He found hope in the Chosen One.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Not a great episode, but Maul-Kenobi itself was well handled, another really nice moment in the overall sea of mediocrity that is this show.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Looking around at other places, it amuses me how angry people are at A) The brevity of the duel B) The fact that much of the episode is focused on Ezra

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I like that, in a way, Maul found what he was looking for in his dying moments. He found hope in the Chosen One.

I felt sorry for Maul, in a way that Anakin/Vader never earns.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

so i guess he'll be back in whatever future show needs him with a robot torso?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nah, he proper dead this time, the end of his arc. Kenobi would have burned the body in the Jedi way too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

NTRabbit posted:

I felt sorry for Maul, in a way that Anakin/Vader never earns.

But despite having some hope, and maybe a bit of peace, he's still got that sith mentality. His hope is revenge.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Edit: Nevermind.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

He's asking if Obi-Wan is protecting the Chosen One, the one who will bring balance ot the force (and thus destroy his former master who ruined his and Obi-wan's lives and by doing so, avenge them).

Luke is the Chosen One, at least from Obi-Wan's current Certain Point of View. Anakin was a failure, lost to darkness, obviously not the chosen one, but his kid, now that has got possibility!

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
You would think having so many Force users together in one place, plus Maul's death, would be a little bit suspicious to Palps/Vader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

SyRauk posted:

You would think having so many Force users together in one place, plus Maul's death, would be a little bit suspicious to Palps/Vader?
Tatoooine is a giant blindspot for Vader and there's the part of Jedi where Palpatine doesn't realize Luke is on the forest moon.

Background Luke bothered me more than the brief fight and focus on Ezra. Show the moisture farm, look up to the suns, and fade to black. Everyone knows what's in that house.

• Locked thread