Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Can I name my female character "Man"?

Apparently if you leave the default name characters will actually say it when calling you and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Legit question, in SA we have BEE quotas (race/gender levels etc), if you don't meet them you're hosed as a company, do they have employee race/gender quotas in Canada? I'm seeing all these people with absolute poo poo portfolios etc.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm definitely naming my male character Dick.

Just name him Lowe.

For the people who've played the game, the "classic heat" upgrade , can that be combined with other upgrades?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
They definitely did something to the Salarian height. I just took this screenshot of my ME2 playthru and Mordin is only a bit taller than my female Shepard. In ME:A, they tower over the others.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bluegoon posted:

Legit question, in SA we have BEE quotas (race/gender levels etc), if you don't meet them you're hosed as a company, do they have employee race/gender quotas in Canada? I'm seeing all these people with absolute poo poo portfolios etc.

If you had a really good portfolio, would you go work for BioWare?

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If you had a really good portfolio, would you go work for BioWare?

Ah OK, hey you got the same kind of avatar I have!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It always annoyed me that they made an android to infiltrate that base on Mars, but they apparently made the hair out of a solid piece of metal/plastic. Did all the scientists just think she used too much hairspray?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

CJ posted:

It always annoyed me that they made an android to infiltrate that base on Mars, but they apparently made the hair out of a solid piece of metal/plastic. Did all the scientists just think she used too much hairspray?

Oh. My. God.

If you had actually paid attention to the game you'd know that EDI chose to keep it as a solid piece of metal for tactical reasons but it was perfectly capable of segmenting into individual strands of hair!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

bluegoon posted:

Close, Bioware has BAE quotas.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Why are all the Turians on this initiative project bleached?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bluegoon posted:

Ah OK, hey you got the same kind of avatar I have!

Someone paid :10bux: to give this to me and I love them for it, it's super good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hedrigall posted:

So uh... this might be really real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4EticTspcg

It's a bunch of leaked dialogue from one of the romances (Vetra, with Scott Ryder)

Set to stupid music, but still... real.

uh

i'll be in my bunk

LOL THEY SAID REACH! THEY MADE A REFERENCE! I CLAPPED WHEN I REMEMBERED THAT LINE FROM MASS EFFECT 2! I CLAPPED I CLAPPED!

also. i like they are going full witcher but you know their special bioware way.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Oh. My. God.

If you had actually paid attention to the game you'd know that EDI chose to keep it as a solid piece of metal for tactical reasons but it was perfectly capable of segmenting into individual strands of hair!

I know this would never happen in the game where every crew member must be fuckable, but it would be more interesting if she was bald post flesh melting, and EDI tried wearing a lovely wig to try and fit in or something.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Slim Killington posted:

Why are all the Turians on this initiative project bleached?

I have the same question, I originally thought it was a bug and their textures weren't loading.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bluegoon posted:

Is your implication that after plainass white men drove ME 3 over the cliff, Bioware is forced to give women and minorities the same chance with ME:A?

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Decius posted:

Is your implication that after plainass white men drove ME 3 over the cliff, Bioware is forced to give women and minorities the same chance with ME:A?

Nope, just that B:Montreal is in Canada, and the setup is very weird, different structure than the US studios, also the portfolios and experience of some of the folks are highly loving suspect, thought they had to fill quotas because of government regulations, like it works here, in South Africa.

edit: thought we were the only ones with quotas?

edit edit: poo poo dude, no offense intended.

bluegoon fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 18, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

bluegoon posted:

Nope, just that B:Montreal is in Canada, and the setup is very weird, different structure than the US studios, also the portfolios and experience of some of the folks are highly loving suspect, thought they had to fill quotas because of government regulations, like it works here, in South Africa.

edit: thought we were the only ones with quotas?

BioWare is based in Canada and always has been. If the quotas thing is real it only became an issue after BioWare started being hell to its people and they quit.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
As long as the MP is good and fun I'll be happy. However I also understand why so many are baffled by this game.

And as a guy who knows Montreal, I'm not surprised of the sketchy portfolios. This is something studios based in the province of Quebec constantly do, nepotism is the name of the game here, both in Quebec city and Montreal.

Mind you Ubisoft Montreal is probably one of the exception, heard only good things from the people I know who worked there.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Admiral Ray posted:

BioWare is based in Canada and always has been. If the quotas thing is real it only became an issue after BioWare started being hell to its people and they quit.

poo poo, OK, can imagine the talent pool is only so big there, and those tax breaks probably applies only when hiring local? Maybe like you said, talent just kind of left.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will enjoy this game without guilt because I will not pay for it.

EA will give it to me for free.

For serious yo.

Man I'm sad I missed that INSIDER LEET KNOWLEDGE guy. He looked like a hoot

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

BobbyBaudoin posted:

As long as the MP is good and fun I'll be happy. However I also understand why so many are baffled by this game.

And as a guy who knows Montreal, I'm not surprised of the sketchy portfolios. This is something studios based in the province of Quebec constantly do, nepotism is the name of the game here, both in Quebec city and Montreal.

Mind you Ubisoft Montreal is probably one of the exception, heard only good things from the people I know who worked there.

Ah, that's why Alec passed down being Pathfinder to his children; the writers were writing about what they knew.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

After much deliberation I cancelled my preorder on GMG and preordered on Origin since it unlocks earlier.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Eva Core, the robot that Edi takes over

Holy poo poo i completely forgot about all of this.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
I know a company who goes out of its way to not hire locals in the province, our artists are dogshit. They are seriously loving awful. Our colleges are terrible and so are the universities (other than McGill, fantastic place) when it comes to the quality of education and techniques. You're better off taking online courses or even being self-taught.

If Bioware Montreal simply took people who are locals then I am not surprised this ended up this way, the best artists and workers in the province actually come from elsewhere.

Some of you might think I'm overly mean but this is speaking from experience with people who worked here.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bluegoon posted:

poo poo, OK, can imagine the talent pool is only so big there, and those tax breaks probably applies only when hiring local? Maybe like you said, talent just kind of left.

All the routine stuff is probably done in China in the first place - maybe even more this time to save money. HZD was done by 250 people in Europe - and 100 people in China working on it over six years according to Guerilla Games own words.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

bluegoon posted:

Montreal made the multiplayer part of ME3. Did they make all of ME:A? I vaguely recall people being happy about this because "multiplayer was the best part of ME3."

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Montreal made the multiplayer part of ME3. Did they make all of ME:A? I vaguely recall people being happy about this because "multiplayer was the best part of ME3."

They are the development lead for it, yes. How much of it was done by other parts like Austin or Edmonton or other third party studios and contractors is of course unclear.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Decius posted:

They are the development lead for it, yes. How much of it was done by other parts like Austin or Edmonton or other third party studios and contractors is of course unclear.

Are the opening credits like that Assassin's Creed game (was it Revelations?) that spent fifteen minutes listing all the studios involved in the creation of the game ("Ubisoft FYROM"), because that would be hilarious.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i dont know all the organizational reasons or if it wad bad talent

i just think the game isnt great

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

eonwe posted:

i dont know all the organizational reasons or if it wad bad talent

i just think the game isnt great

Edmonton is the mother ship that made all the games people know and love. Austin did SWTOR.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Are the opening credits like that Assassin's Creed game (was it Revelations?) that spent fifteen minutes listing all the studios involved in the creation of the game ("Ubisoft FYROM"), because that would be hilarious.

Probably Black Flag. People from Blue Byte (known for making The Settlers and Anno, so far, far from any AC style game) said even they were pulled in and their projects put on hold to help during crunch time. Overall they said that over 1000 people worked on the game.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Hedrigall posted:

I'm just trying to get this thread back to the right kind of bad, rather than the weird kind of bad we had for the last couple of days thanks to that mentally unstable dude

Which of his 50 promised Snowdens are you?

I'm 69.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
OK so I haven't jammed the demo, can you play like in me3 with cover based shooting instead of flying around? My wife said she hates the super zooming and poo poo and with my new TV it's going to make her hurl.

Is there like a regular rear end cover shooting build?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

So that embargo moving, does that mean we could start getting story spoilers later today/tomorrow?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

bluegoon posted:

OK so I haven't jammed the demo, can you play like in me3 with cover based shooting instead of flying around? My wife said she hates the super zooming and poo poo and with my new TV it's going to make her hurl.

Watching the stream yesterday, it doesn't even look like a cover shooter anymore. You're expected to zoom around and dodge. There looks to be some kind of shield spell/ability you can pick up but it's only temporary. Combined with a tight FOV and yeah it's hurl-inducing if that kind of stuff bothers you.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I honestly do think that with all the talent Bioware has bled off during development of this game, they literally had to scrape the barrell in order to fill positions and wound up with long time fans instead of talented people in the industry. Think giggle squee lady.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

bluegoon posted:

It's still mostly shooting from cover. Some enemies will stay in cover so you're encouraged to move forward and jump obstacles to get at them. Other enemies will try to flank you and having that mobility is good to move to a different area of cover.

E: In most of the streams I think the streamers are trying to show off the new combat system so they use cover a lot less than they can. You don't need to zip around all over the place to win a fight, in fact besides looking cool it's not the best way to go about things.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 18, 2017

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

bluegoon posted:

You can take cover, still. I mostly do, then use biotics/overload to zap people behind cover. Engineers get a turret that's pretty sweet so you can hunker down and toss that poo poo out all day if you want. If your wife isn't into the zooming poo poo then she'll really really really hate the way you get around the galaxy map, though, especially if you scan all planets in a single go like I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

bluegoon posted:

You can do either one. You automatically enter cover if you push up against a rock or barricade or other object. You absolutely do not have to fly around. I built a shotgun/flamethrower Ryder and I just dash into enemy faces and unload. No flying for me.