Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Isn't Perlmutter in charge of the television and Netflix stuff now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Just finished episode 5, and so far I'm liking Danny just fine. I like that the show doesn't try to make up drama by having the characters keep secrets from one another (Daredevil). I like that Danny wants to be the Iron Fist, and doesn't have to be guilted into doing the right thing (Luke Cage). I don't get people saying Finn Jones is doing a bad job; not liking the plot or dialogue or pacing or whatever is one thing, but I haven't yet seen Jones botch a scene.

I'd recommend this show wholeheartedly.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I mean the real story is that there's a really great show about Ward, Joy, and Harold Meachum here sandwiched inside a pretty mediocre one about Iron Fist.

Also....it seems like The Hand is going to be the "big bad" for the Defenders? I don't know how I feel about that. I guess Daredevil S2 did a better job of making them seem like a major threat. Iron Fist's version of the Hand seems more....inept.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I'd credit that to having DeKnight as the showrunner on season 1 of Daredevil, since that was such an emphasis on Spartacus as well. Good looking fights doesn't seem like a thing Marvel itself really cares about.

DeKnight was gold, they should have kept him on for DD season 2 and this. Netflix should buy the rights to the Highlander franchise and let him do whatever he wants with it.

But yeah, the​ fights in this show are dull. Nothing in the fights have weight, they look closer to slap fights. I've been watching the power ranger stream and some of those fights are better, and half the actors are in styrofoam bodysuits.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What's bizarre is that uh Entire Season Spoilers cause I can't remember which Episode We get to see a really bad rear end Iron Fist in action in the black and white films which really kind of sucks. I just can't believe we never got to see Kun Lun just a total disappointment and we never got to see the Dragon

It's pretty obvious just watching the show there were serious budgetary issues.

They say this is for the fans but Whole Season Not showing any of Danny's Training, Absolutely NO Kun Lun, NO Dragon , just is a huge disappointment

It really is just one huge disappointment.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I think they used their entire special effects and fight budget on (ep13) the huge seismic floor slam, which to be fair kicked rear end. Especially the the exterior shot of the all the windows on that floor exploding.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Mover posted:

I think they used their entire special effects and fight budget on (ep13) the huge seismic floor slam, which to be fair kicked rear end. Especially the the exterior shot of the all the windows on that floor exploding.

Ep 13 Yeah and then followed it up with a lovely fight scene from the Fugitive :psyduck: , How do you make a Show about Kung Fu and your last action set piece is just some mooks shooting guns everywhere and Danny Rand Kung Fu extraordinaire fighting with a pipe. Luke Cage , Jessica Jones, and Daredevil all had some pretty heavy special effects in some episodes, but that poo poo at the end was just ugh. We see the Iron Fist used on 2 Doors and a Floor. YAY.

Another dumb as gently caress thing for the entire series He's not the protector of the pass of Kun Lun. He's just the Iron Fist one of the Immortal Weapons. Like what the gently caress kind of boring poo poo is that. He's a toll booth operater

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 18, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ep13 what the gently caress how many episodes of this poo poo are there? I thought there were gonna be like 8 or 10...

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Ep 13 Yeah and then followed it up with a lovely fight scene from the Fugitive :psyduck: , How do you make a Show about Kung Fu and your last action set piece is just some mooks shooting guns everywhere and Danny Rand Kung Fu extraordinaire fighting with a pipe. Luke Cage , Jessica Jones, and Daredevil all had some pretty heavy special effects in some episodes, but that poo poo at the end was just ugh. We see the Iron Fist used on 2 Doors and a Floor. YAY.

Also the part where Harold is able to hold his own against a magical Kung-Fu master, after being disarmed. Like, I get that they showed him training on punching bags or whatever all season, but the show is wildly variable in just how skilled Danny actually is. Sometimes he's unstoppable. Sometimes he gets his rear end hammered in. I'm not entirely sure I ever figured out the logic that dictates it

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Snak posted:

Ep13 what the gently caress how many episodes of this poo poo are there? I thought there were gonna be like 8 or 10...

It's a Netflix show. They clearly just decide an arbitrary number of episodes and ask the showrunners to fill it regardless if they have enough material or not.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Snak posted:

If we had gotten only 10 episodes Danny there would have been at least double door punching,

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DrVenkman posted:

It's a Netflix show. They clearly just decide an arbitrary number of episodes and ask the showrunners to fill it regardless if they have enough material or not.

stop saying this

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Iron Fist shows a stunning lack of the very thing that elevated the other Marvel Netflix shows...

It just doesn't give a poo poo. It doesn't care about it's self, it doesn't care about the writing, the main actor clearly doesn't give a loving poo poo about the character or the role. It doesn't even seem to give a poo poo about the other shows. It just doesn't god damned care at all.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's just slowly trudging down hill, hunched over, moan whining "why do i gotta do this?" over and over

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

please please please just abandon solo ironfist if this is all you can loving conjure, PLEASE

just make the luke cage dude do heroes for hire and please please please get a good martial arts coreographer and if finn refuses to put in any effort at god damned all just recast him

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Calm down dude, also it's not a great show but you're making a lot of weird assumptions

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i need to focus my chi ahhhh

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hollismason posted:

Yeah and he's notoriously a cheapskate and also a terrible human being. Hopefully Defenders being 8 episodes will help it and maybe the fights will be better since they aren't using the same people from Iron Fist this time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hollismason posted:

What's bizarre is that uh Entire Season Spoilers cause I can't remember which Episode We get to see a really bad rear end Iron Fist in action in the black and white films which really kind of sucks. I just can't believe we never got to see Kun Lun just a total disappointment and we never got to see the Dragon

No kidding, it's like a Man In The High Castle clip from a much better alternate reality and then welp, back to your regularly scheduled aggressively bland choreography and muddled editing from the rest of the series.

Hollismason posted:

Another dumb as gently caress thing for the entire series He's not the protector of the pass of Kun Lun. He's just the Iron Fist one of the Immortal Weapons. Like what the gently caress kind of boring poo poo is that. He's a toll booth operater

And it turns out the pass to K'un-Lun is a literal two-person-wide rock pass that could be defended with a freaking iron gate against the medieval-tech ninja force they sent. :lol:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Episode 10 spoiler: Bakuto's university feels like a public school version of Charles Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, only there are no gifted youngsters.

Also what the hell, the best fight so far against all the students and it's pitch loving black.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 18, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Gawain The Blind posted:

I would have been perfectly okay with a blank-faced MMA featherweight dude in a hoody hamming up the lines arnold-style if the fight choreography was on point.

That would've ruled

Also, Iron Fist was stupid. gently caress you, Buck.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
To be fair (whole series spoilers I guess, but mainly focusing on last few eps) Iron Fist IS a protector of K'un Lun. It's just that, ya know, with the whole 'but the hand has been thwarted from infiltrating the holy city for ages' thing he like the rest of the Weapons is supposed to go out and gently caress them up where they actually are. It's just kinda like 'yea but if somehow K'un Lun was under attack we need to get there ASAP because that's kinda our real focus'. That still means he shouldn't be acting like 'I protect K'un Lun' is his life's work, though. He's just supposed to kung fu punch some ninjas because that's loving badass.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Doesn't really explain why Iron Fist is lovely and the other shows at least have their redeemable moments.

Just started episode 3 and dojo fight was loving dumb as well. Mansplainin+Wing's actor/stunt double clearly had the better fight and it seemed like finn/stunt double took the easiest stunts possible to overcome Wing

Second dojo scene with the students was just as bad

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 18, 2017

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I could've done with a lot more "mansplainin" because at least then there would be something interesting going on.

I barely understand the main character's motivation after watching the whole series except to say it all got kickstarted by seeing a bird and thinking it was a personal message from Lord Buddha to go be a CEO and shut down factories I honestly don't understand and I don't think Scott Buck did either.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Why won't Danny just go away and let this be the Colleen Wing show? Or the Meachum corporate intrigue show?

also that ep11 cold open: show the loving dragon! You have a warrior monk training to protect the gates of Heaven and any time something supernatural comes up it's like the writers are apologizing for it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

Why won't Danny just go away and let this be the Colleen Wing show? Or the Meachum corporate intrigue show?

also that ep11 cold open: show the loving dragon! You have a warrior monk training to protect the gates of Heaven and any time something supernatural comes up it's like the writers are apologizing for it.
It's kind of weird that they want us to care about or see a dilemma for something and somewhere we are never shown.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
hosed up my chi with some powerful magnets....

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

As Nero Danced posted:

If there's one thing following the Arrow thread back before I dumped the show taught me, it's that a lot of people who watch comic book shows will aggressively flip their poo poo at anything even remotely supernatural. And that seems to be who this was written for when I see this set of issues talked about.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ramadu posted:

Besides the awful fights why did they make Danny a functional idiot? Just - trrrible choice. Ward carries this show so hard it's not even funny. Colleen Wings actress was particularly atrocious. So dissapointed. Sad, low energy kung fu is the worst kung fu :(
If you had spent your years from 10-25 in a mythological monastery you probably wouldn't really know how to behave around people who won't just beat you with a stick while muttering adages, either. They don't really make as much light of it as they should, but Danny continually mentions how he was constantly beaten, which, you know, makes people grow up with poor impulse control.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Iron Fist would be a more enjoyable Kung fu movie than a tv show, and desperately needed a real budget.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

coyo7e posted:

If you had spent your years from 10-25 in a mythological monastery you probably wouldn't really know how to behave around people who won't just beat you with a stick while muttering adages, either. They don't really make as much light of it as they should, but Danny continually mentions how he was constantly beaten, which, you know, makes people grow up with poor impulse control.

You know what might've been interesting? Danny going on a new spiritual journey to become the Iron Fist the world needs after being taught only how to be a living weapon for a bunch of cloistered monks.

What was terribly uninteresting: watching Finn Jones throw temper tantrums, speak in cliches and mewling platitudes and fail utterly at being an awesome kung-fu punchman.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Nice paper credit card Claire.

Ser Loras really needs to train with Charlie Cox.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

3 months ago if you told me that Iron Fist would end up being this disappointing or worse while Legion would be one of the best shows on TV right now, I'd consider you insane, but here we are. Also I never saw Dexter so I never knew quite how bad Scott Buck could be.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Grinning Goblin posted:

3 months ago if you told me that Iron Fist would end up being this disappointing or worse while Legion would be one of the best shows on TV right now, I'd consider you insane, but here we are. Also I never saw Dexter so I never knew quite how bad Scott Buck could be.

This is actually more focused than Dexter was towards the end. If you ever do watch Dexter watch the first 4 seasons, but for the love of god stop after that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

How did Scott Buck even get the showrunner job , he literally has said he knows nothing about / does not really care about Iron Fist.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm curious as to just how broken people have to be to see Dexter seasons 6-8 and go "Yeah, that's our guy"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Hollismason posted:

How did Scott Buck even get the showrunner job , he literally has said he knows nothing about / does not really care about Iron Fist.

I suspect in large part because Marvel saddled the series with an unworkable tonal remit, thus weeding out anyone who might have had a genuinely good pitch. Buck probably gave them roughly what they wanted when they were running out of time to start production.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
ehh, it's alright. Still engaged enough to watch it. On episode 5 or 6 by now.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm curious as to just how broken people have to be to see Dexter seasons 6-8 and go "Yeah, that's our guy"

I think someone posted here that the world/entertainment industry is very forgiving of white men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Barry Convex posted:

I suspect in large part because Marvel saddled the series with an unworkable tonal remit, thus weeding out anyone who might have had a genuinely good pitch. Buck probably gave them roughly what they wanted when they were running out of time to start production.

Do you have any evidence of this