Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Neo Rasa posted:

You're both half-right, Ghost in the Shell has always intended to be set in a time of transition. While the English subtitles and dub call the 1995's city New Port City, I don't think it's actually given a name in the Japanese version (IIRC it might not even be mentioned in the English subtitles, only in the dub).
Are you completely confident about that? I found mentions that the manga sets it in the location you mentioned for SAC: Niihama, Niihama Prefecture (新浜県新浜市). Given that the last manga part of GITS came out 97, maybe the entirety of it was set there, and SAC using that name is meretly a return to the roots?

Also, note-worthy: According to https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%94%BB%E6%AE%BB%E6%A9%9F%E5%8B%95%E9%9A%8A Innocence is in a vague location, but everywhere else is explicitly in Japan.

quote:

cool location shooting, but...
Haha, wow, that list.

Steve Yun posted:

Ahh, forgot about the book. But story butchering aside, the film was generally well reviewed and avoided racial controversy. Maybe a little lackluster on ticket sales but I don't think that had anything to do with the fidelity to the original story.
Both of that goes together. The original is a pretty hard sci-fi story that actually has you thinking about science and morality a good bit, meshed with a lot of solid action. (In the original the two main characters end up in a situation where one of them *must* die, due to no fault of either of them.)

Hollywood took all the former away, most people don't care about hard scifi, and the action was competent. Thus it was well reviewed by people who didn't know poo poo, and few people cared since it was just another grey and shaky space marine movie.

The new GITS is going in exactly the same direction, only it'll make money because it leans on preexisting interest.

Mierenneuker posted:

They are confusing whitewashing and white savior complex.
That's another problem, a lot of people are conflating bandwagon complaints, or disparate complaints under the same name, plus trolls who keep trying to just plain derail any conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

To put things as straightforwardly as possible: people ITT are pursuing a free-market solution to the racism problem. Pure supply and demand: "we demand that racism end now, so the biggest corporations must supply an end to racism for us." Take this guy, for example:

I appreciate your explanation. It makes a lot of things click, same with K-Waste.

It reminds me of the documentary ゆきゆきて、神軍/The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On. The documentary's subject is Kenzo Okuzaki, a war veteran who goes around punching people for the truth. There's a moment when he visits a restaurant in Kobe City to talk to a former medic he served with in New Guinea. He's looking to uncover the truth behind the execution of two fellow soldiers they served with. The charge was "desertion", but the war was already over at that point so the people involved knew it was a drummed up charge and that these men died for exploitation/likely cannibalism.

Rather than the owners understanding his desire to hold the government accountable for the loss of human life, people just look the other way or try to interfere. In the restaurant, he's told that the medic has "back problems" and can't visit with him, when in reality they just want Okuzaki to go away. Ultimately, when that won't deflect him the restaurant owners tell him things like "[but] we're busy" and "We have customers to serve." Inevitably resulting with Okuzaki rightfully blasting them about placing the value of human life below the act of making money. But this situation is expressly the result of the post-war miracle, and that "miracle" is the product of the relationship between the United States and Japan, and specifically what is a capitalist experiment. Something Ghost in the Shell, by nature of its narrative, accelerates past.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

hosed up.

Looking to see this movie about Japanese special ops teams. China must be cheaper to shoot in and I take it the Japanese like the Chinese.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
White people are loving crazy and come up with the weirdest poo poo to get upset about.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Cat's out of the bag: It is impossible to shoot in future Tokyo, so they were forced to rely on their location scouts and production design team working from a script to approximate what future Tokyo looks like on camera.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift didn't cut corners when it came to Tokyo. Note my knowledge to the production of Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift solely lies in the movie itself.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is it actually set in Tokyo rather than New Tokyo? If it's New Tokyo it's meant to be an entirely different place anyway.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
New Tokyo is just conquered China, its a syi-fi movie let their imaginations go wild! What are the chances that all the changes make sense in converting ghost in the shell into an hollywood movie or this is just the "yang" to Edge of Tomorrow in terms of quality? Then how much does that quality actually matter to you?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 18, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Tokyo Drift also takes place in a fictional version of Tokyo. The setting of a film is characterization, and Tokyo Drift is about how a lower income 'military brat' is condemned to Japan as a punishment, but finds instead an ecstasy of hypersexualization, cars competing with women for attention of the camera, a music video in form if not in function. It can not be confused with an 'authentic' depiction of Tokyo, because it is so credibly an artifice.

GitS'17 is, similarly, a spontaneous artifice. Its setting in Tokyo is not in order to authenticate the clearly anti-realist narrative, but to turn Tokyo into New Port City/Niihama, which is a decision informed by a desire to emulate imagery from the '94 film while embellishing upon it from the drop. The setting and environment is a tool of characterization, but in neither the promotional trailers for GitS'17 or in Tokyo Drift will you find any particular emphasis on whether what the protagonist experiences is 'authentic Tokyo' or not. Instead, the focus is on organized crime, political corruption, the one major difference is how the hypersexual imagery is presented: whereas Tokyo Drift shows a music video, GitS'17 shows spider geishas and psychosexual/body horror that's actually significantly toned down from the '94 film.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
The setting is New Port City because in most continuities Tokyo got nuked back to the Iron Age.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dmitri-9 posted:

The setting is New Port City because in most continuities Tokyo got nuked back to the Iron Age.

Wasn't the second miracle the creation of radiation eliminating tech? Surely Tokyo is at least up to the Industrial Age by now.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tenzarin posted:

Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift didn't cut corners

This statement is funny out of context, hence this post.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

So, the Art of GITS artbook came out and it has some very spoilerific images worthy of discussion and/or anger...

gently caress this gay Earth

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
"Mira."

...................lmao

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

So, the Art of GITS artbook came out and it has some very spoilerific images worthy of discussion and/or anger...

Stealing these to show my social media friends.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Major Mira Killian

So is that intended to be her current name until she realizes she is motoko, or does she end up realizing she was a japanese woman called Mira Killian?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Dmitri-9 posted:

Gyges posted:

Wasn't the second miracle the creation of radiation eliminating tech? Surely Tokyo is at least up to the Industrial Age by now.

The point is that all the convoluted canon doesn't clarify any creative choices or motivations of what actually appears at the surface level of a film or televisual series. Like, in brief, the concept of GitS'94 is that a bunch of shady paramilitary police forces successfully represses a scandal around the corruption of Japan's new 'counter-terrorist' forces in a 'border' setting where Chinese immigrants have significantly displaced indigenous Japanese, and on the periphery of all of this, two A.I. make a murder-suicide pact and 'give birth' to this anti-Christ singularity child.

All the canon does is clarify that while the setting of the film has been through a post-war miracle and is a comfortable military super-power, it just looks like a standard metropolis with massive income inequality. Again, that the protagonists are the bad guys. Re: the remake/spiritual sequel, "Hanka" is just this white-skinned privilege skyscraper tombstone in a toyish, exploited "Tokyo" that now no longer bares any resemblance to Tokyo.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Young Freud posted:

"You're going to need reconstructive surgery, if you want a lead role in Hollywood."

just lol in general, especially at that terrible chart from a 12-year-old's english paper

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

ufarn posted:

"You're going to need reconstructive surgery, if you want a lead role in Hollywood."

just lol in general, especially at that terrible chart from a 12-year-old's english paper

That chart may be one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

I want it framed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i am wat i am

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

We have the technology, we can rebuild her as a white person

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
wat am i?

a white lady

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Get Out 2 "Just think how much more successful an action star you'll be if we remove your Asian brain and place it in a white body."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Young Freud posted:

She was a Japanese person all along! Its like Tropic Thunder!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
They don't even seem to care about making Motoko look cool. Just a random Japanese actress for a few minutes. Would it kill them to just try the hair or do *something* with her?

It just feels like tipping the lampshade or an inadvertent metaphor.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FuturePastNow posted:

We have the technology, we can rebuild her as a white person

Neo Rasa posted:

Get Out 2 "Just think how much more successful an action star you'll be if we remove your Asian brain and place it in a white body."

We now have objective confirmation of the irony that GITS 1995 effectively endorsed a white supremacist ideology of racial 'colorblindness' ("tits or gtfo": everyone is a default white male on the internet!), while GITS 2017 now offers an explicit critique of this ideology that goes far beyond the paranoiac liberalism of Peele's recent film.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift, they take a make Ford Mustang '67, with a Skyline GT-R RB26DETT engine salvaged from Han's Nissan Silvia. Talk about white washing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Oh man, what's even more insulting is if you're looking at that flashback image loving Michael Pitt is in it, meaning that he was Caucasian all along, so it makes even less sense to do change the race. Especially for a custom, one-off body.

Thinking more and more about this is just infuriating.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

In Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift, they take a make Ford Mustang '67, with a Skyline GT-R RB26DETT engine salvaged from Han's Nissan Silvia. Talk about white washing.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

ufarn posted:

They don't even seem to care about making Motoko look cool. Just a random Japanese actress for a few minutes. Would it kill them to just try the hair or do *something* with her?

It just feels like tipping the lampshade or an inadvertent metaphor.

The Asian effects they were testing was an Asian actress all along! :aaaaa:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I don't even understand what to be offended about in this picture!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tenzarin posted:

The jean jorts.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 19, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Tenzarin posted:

They put American muscle into Godzilla.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So how good is this?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Arglebargle III posted:

So how good is this?

It looks like it's going to be perfectly fine providing:

A. You don't give a gently caress about diverging from the anime.
B. You're not the sort to complain about ~*~whitewashing~*~ as the end-all of movie critique.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

It doesn't diverge so much as whittle it down by removing anything that might reduce mass market appeal, and still not ending up as pretty as e.g. Battleship did.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
There's not really anything important about the original film being set in Japan so if it's visually cool, the music is interesting and the script works I'll still see it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mithaldu posted:

It doesn't diverge so much as whittle it down by removing anything that might reduce mass market appeal

I guess you haven't noticed, but the thread consensus is actually that this film is replete with confrontational, racially charged imagery and 'dangerous messages' - whereas the original is backhandedly praised as a pretty-but-meaningless Nipponese tits movie, wherein our authentically Asian ninjess protagonist harms the baddie.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The film is not actually out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

meaningless Nipponese tits

One day I'll set that as my username.

• Locked thread