Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frogfingers posted:

If the bosses aren't on their side who the gently caress is on their side?

People selling 1.4 million dollar apartments to them for spur of the moment purchases.

Oh and maybe some of their local congregations which are probably all dying off because of a lack of replacement numbers.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

rumble in the bunghole posted:

The greens will bring back straight edge hardcore so I'm sticking with them.

I didn't think there was a platform that could make me abandon the greens so kudos

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

LOL so pretty much, Dutton is making the government look like it's cowering under the might of the waffen SSM a mob of high-profile business executives :thumbsup:

probably a ham fisted attempt at making himself look a bit anti-establishment or something

also I suppose he feels he needs to be getting a few more mentions in the media and be seen to be showing some 'leadership' to support his pitch for the top job so we'll probably see more of this

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

gay picnic defence posted:

probably a ham fisted attempt at making himself look a bit anti-establishment or something

also I suppose he feels he needs to be getting a few more mentions in the media and be seen to be showing some 'leadership' to support his pitch for the top job so we'll probably see more of this

gotta build on the momentum of that 3%

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

gotta build on the momentum of that 3%

probably thinks it's merely due to his lower profile than some of the alternatives

I still reckon Morrison will be the next PM though

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

probably thinks it's merely due to his lower profile than some of the alternatives

I still reckon Morrison will be the next PM though

Depends how much people in the party think of him as legit, imo they don't want to put anyone up that they actually want to see lead because they've given up on the next election.

Wouldn't be surprised if they chucked Bishop up there so they can say "we let a woman lead the party and the country" while also saying "clearly women don't work out in leadership, as shown by this historic election loss, see you in another thirty years".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Solemn Sloth posted:

Depends how much people in the party think of him as legit, imo they don't want to put anyone up that they actually want to see lead because they've given up on the next election.

Wouldn't be surprised if they chucked Bishop up there so they can say "we let a woman lead the party and the country" while also saying "clearly women don't work out in leadership, as shown by this historic election loss, see you in another thirty years".

The election slogans for the off-brand Huey Bronnie The Helicopter campaign posters practically write themselves.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

That would rely on Bishop being dumb enough to take the job. She might be an evil piece of poo poo but she's also cunning as an outhouse rat and I doubt she'd let herself be set up to take the fall like that

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Same-sex marriage: Conservative MPs prepare to block moderates’ manouevre

CONSERVATIVE government MPs are frantically marshalling their numbers to foil a plot by moderate Liberals planning to reignite the same-sex marriage debate this week.

Conservatives, including one 🥔senior government minister🥔, caught wind of the secret plan to lobby Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull to abandon his commitment to hold a plebiscite on marriage equality.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal up to 12 Liberal MPs and senators ­intended to sign a letter and present it to Mr Turnbull as soon as Monday, urging him to revisit the government’s plebiscite policy before the May Budget.

The plot was negotiated by a group of moderate Liberal MPs in a late-night meeting in a senior minister’s office earlier this month.

The group argue same-sex marriage should be dealt with in the next fortnight because it is “necessary to guarantee clear air for the Budget”.

Several cabinet ministers were aware of the plan to ambush the PM with the letter, which was backed by moderate Liberal MPs including Tim Wilson, Trent Zimmerman and ­Warren Entsch.

But in frantic weekend negotiations, senior government MPs tried to foil the plot urging same-sex marriage advocates not to act before the Budget because their colleagues “continued to support a plebiscite”.

Supporters were also told the timing was no longer right given the move by 20 of Australia’s top CEOs to publicly push the Prime Minister to legalise same-sex marriage last week.

News of the latest plot is expected to inflame Coalition tensions as MPs return to Canberra today for the final sitting fortnight before the Budget.

One same-sex marriage backer said: “The issue is not going to go away ... I want (Treasurer Scott) Morrison to have the best chance to sell his first post-election budget and this issue is an ever-present risk.”

Supporters of same-sex marriage now believe if Mr Turnbull buckles to conservative pressure to amend the Racial Discrimination Act, which would break an election promise, he could also be persuaded to break his election commitment to hold a plebiscite and instead allow Liberal MPs a free vote in Parliament.

Last month a Senate committee reached consensus on how the Marriage Act could be changed while ­allowing religious exemptions.

Conservatives want Mr Turnbull to stick to his election commitment to hold a plebiscite, even though it was defeated in Parliament last year.

Any move away from that position could damage relations between the Liberal Party and Nationals and could prompt some government MPs to ­resign, threatening the Government’s one-seat majority in the House.

Conservative Liberals are split ­between staunch opponents of marriage reform and those who accept it will eventually pass Parliament.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...1755-1489876272

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Di Natale has come out in full throated support of Sally McManus and the rights of workers to pursue industrial action and break unjust laws in doing so.

Australian Labor Party lol

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

That would rely on Bishop being dumb enough to take the job. She might be an evil piece of poo poo but she's also cunning as an outhouse rat and I doubt she'd let herself be set up to take the fall like that

See also: COSTELLO, Peter

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

This is true, I guess that's why Dutton is an actual potential choice, he's dumb enough to accept it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dutton would make a perfect fall guy after Turnbull, actually. It's not like they're actually aware how that would put the finishing touches on their doom.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Based on the miniscule margin with which Potatoman holds his own electorate, the difference between Turnbull and Dutton's leadership heading into the next election is going to be 'comprehensive defeat’ vs ’historically significant wipe out’. Any seat with a margin of less than 10% is toast. The resulting 3+ term Labor govt may even fix our revenue problem, internet, media monopoly and education funding issues.

So yeah bring it on is what I'm saying.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Based on the miniscule margin with which Potatoman holds his own electorate, the difference between Turnbull and Dutton's leadership heading into the next election is going to be 'comprehensive defeat’ vs ’historically significant wipe out’. Any seat with a margin of less than 10% is toast. The resulting 3+ term Labor govt may even fix our revenue problem, internet, media monopoly and education funding issues.

You are putting a lot of faith in an electorate that elected a party led by Tony loving Abbott.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

maybe we should start a goon project to have everyone email Dutton and tell him how great we think he would be as PM

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Hadn't seen this posted yet. The Green's have had the Parliamentary Budget Office cost the swap from stamp duty to land tax. I have been a fan of this idea for a while, the issue was the shortfall in state revenue in the years just after the introduction, since land tax would only be paid by those who haven't paid stamp duty under the new deal. Their plan is to have the Federal Gov lend them the shortfall in the years afterward and then have them pay it back down the track when land tax brings in more than what stamp duty was.

While it's not a silver bullet for all our woes, it helps with so many of our housing market issues and state revenue. I wonder if the fact that the Green's have brought this up means that people will automatically reject it.

The only thing that confuses me is that they seem to have the land tax too low at 0.1%. They say that a 1 million dollar property would currently mean a stamp duty of $40,000 in NSW and $55,000 in VIC. Yet the land tax would only cost about $1,000 a year in both cases, which would mean that people would need to own their houses for longer than 40 years and 55 years respectively for it raise higher revenue. The only way I can see it making more money is if they expect property to continuing increasing at a rate higher than inflation, which seems like a bad long term plan. Would really love hear other people's thought's. I thought that the land tax should be around 0.2%?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...315-guyezb.html

SMH posted:

The Parliamentary Budget Office has costed a proposal that would kill stamp duty and replace it with land tax, saving home buyers up to $40,000 in Sydney and $55,000 in Melbourne, while delivering billions of dollars to fund schools and hospitals.

The costing will put land tax back up for debate when Parliament returns next week as the government looks to mark its authority on the housing affordability crisis less than two months out from the federal budget.

Both the NSW and Victorian governments have thrown their weight behind broader stamp duty tax reform and Treasurer Scott Morrison has indicated his support for a transition to taxing land.

"When you talk about tax reform, this is far and away the biggest prize on offer," said John Daley, the chief executive of independent think tank the Grattan Institute.

Under current regulations, home buyers pay tens of thousands of dollars in stamp duty, creating an additional hurdle for people looking to enter the market amid soaring property prices in Sydney and Melbourne.

Removing stamp duty and implementing an annual land tax on all newly purchased homes would help level the playing field and generate billions of dollars in annual returns to the NSW and Victorian budgets, while also relieving federal government spending over a 15-year-period.

Under the policy submitted by the Greens and backed by the Grattan Institute and the Council of the Ageing, home buyers would no longer stump up to $40,000 in stamp duty when purchasing a property worth $1 million in Sydney. In Melbourne, a home buyer would save $55,000 stamp duty on a property of the same value.

Research from the Grattan Institute shows an annual tax of $1 per every $1000 of a home's value would cost the median Sydney household $845 a year in tax and the median Melbourne home $623 a year.

To offset the cost of losing lucrative stamp duty payments, the Commonwealth would have to loan money to the states. The loans would peak in 2020 when the hit to the budget bottom line would grow to $800 million. Rising land tax revenues would enable the states to pay back the loan by 2030.

The Parliamentary Budget Office estimates that in the next four years alone the tax would generate $2.3 billion in revenue for the states, but warned the overall costings were of low reliability due to the variations in number of properties sold across Australia each year.

Greens Leader Richard Di Natale said the prospect of property ownership had turned into a nightmare for many young people.

When you talk about tax reform, this is far and away the biggest prize on offer

"Together with Capital Gains and negative gearing reforms, swapping stamp duty for a broad-based land tax would fix the broken system and make it easier for young people to live the Australian dream," he said.

In December, Treasurer Scott Morrison pushed the states to transition to a land tax at the state and federal treasurers meeting.

He praised comments from NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet that reforms would free up housing stock for young buyers by encouraging them to move more.

In NSW the government provides concessions on stamp duty for new properties under $650,000 but with a median house price of more than $1 million few are sold below that price.

On Friday, Mr Perrottet said he welcomed dialogue with the Commonwealth "on sensible ways to reduce the tax burden and improve the efficiency of the tax system".

A spokesman for Mr Morrison said "various ideas were always flagged on big issues," but "the government won't be drawn on budget speculation."

Mr Daley urged the states and Commonwealth to work together on the basis that the long term benefits would outweigh the short term political pain.

"It would be very difficult to find any policy analyst or economist who doesn't think it's a good idea," he said.

A tax on land is considered among the most efficient of all taxes because it is hard to avoid, targets the rich more than the poor, and unlike upfront taxes, does not discourage people from buying things like a GST does, and therefore provides both an economic and budgetary boost.

"Stamp duties are inefficient because they lead to people living in a house much smaller or larger than they need to because they don't want to pay more stamp duty," said Mr Daley.

Council of the Ageing chief executive Ian Yates said the policy would help older Australians but would need to include provisions for rates to be deferred so new taxes did not hit pensioners in the short term.

"Stamp duty is a hurdle for older people to relocate or to 'right size' because they want something that is modern and in the same area and that is a financial challenge," he said. cut

He urged Canberra to unite behind the change.

"When there is unanimity on the benefits of the transition it's time we collectively applied our mind to how we get there," he said.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Don Dongington posted:

Remember the defeat in 2007 when the senior serving Liberal was the Lord Mayor of Brisbane, and Labor would be in power for a generation? Good times.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Yeah, I don't know why people always predict multiple term governments. Everything we've seen in the last decade or so should tell you something about how wrong these predictions are.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
"Rainbow Gestapo" against Coopers is "worse than anything in Eastern Europe" - Mark Latham

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

"Rainbow Gestapo" against Coopers is "worse than anything in Eastern Europe" - Mark Latham

Rainbow Gestapo is what Ross Cameron calls the NSW Division of the Liberal Party.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/843258298094690305

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

it seemed to flow kinda naturally until he got to the bit about shorten

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

it seemed to flow kinda naturally until he got to the bit about shorten

Shorten tweeted the article.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tweets that length of time apart are in no way the sign of a panicked man desperate to convince others.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Rainbow Gestapo is what Ross Cameron calls the NSW Division of the Liberal Party.

Oh lord, I was in the room with my dad while this dreck was on. He agreed with the argument that boycotting is wrong because the company is just expressing an OPINION. When I said nobody is saying they can't have an opinion, but are judging the opinion by choosing to boycott, he said some poo poo about shutting down debate. When I asked if it would be okay for the Jewish community to boycott a company whose CEO said the Holocaust didn't happen, he didn't speak for about 15 seconds before saying "They can boycott privately but not publicly," before saying he wasn't in the mood to talk anymore.

In arguments with dad this is what I consider a win.

brb getting drunk

Edit: Actually the convo ended when I asked if it would be wrong to boycott a company that was pro-ISIS, which resulted in a word salad about "natural boycotts" that I think deep down he knew was stupid.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 19, 2017

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Rainbow Gestapo are shutting down debate!

[likes seven different "boycott Halal" pages on Facebook]

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Box of Bunnies posted:

The Rainbow Gestapo are shutting down debate!

[likes seven different "boycott Halal" pages on Facebook]

Bill Leak was murdered by the assassins of the Sydney leather pride association

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Bill Leak was murdered by the assassins of the Sydney leather pride association

New float for mardigras

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

New float for mardigras

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmfCkzqrNI

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Seeing this is what killed Bill Leak.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Seeing this is what killed Bill Leak.

I see why too, that flag waving routine was very poorly co-ordinated.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/843282638907490304

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

"Have you tried killing the poor? "

" just because we ran it though a computer simulation doesn't mean we would actually do it."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Your organization is broken if you keep doing things like this:

quote:

"He was not up to leading the team in this (election) campaign and as a result we had a landslide loss," Dr Nahan told The Sunday Times.

Breaking a week-long silence, Dr Nahan said there was division in the Liberal party after Mr Barnett refused to hand over the reins last September.

"We needed Colin to make the decision to leave by his own volition, and that did not happen," he said.

It's understood Dr Nahan will run uncontested on Tuesday when the party meets for the first time since the humiliating loss.

The same paralysis as in 2007 with Howard. You'd think that lately they'd be getting better at ditching bad leaders. They needed to be rid of him early and they put it off forever.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ewe2 posted:

The same paralysis as in 2007 with Howard. You'd think that lately they'd be getting better at ditching bad leaders. They needed to be rid of him early and they put it off forever.

Weren't the WALibs hosed from the get go?
Wonderful combination of massive shortfalls in revenue combined with being the party that led to that despite having also presided over what should have been massive windfalls from mining should probably see you experience the landslide every time.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Newspoll soon comrades.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

ewe2 posted:

Your organization is broken if you keep doing things like this:

Aren't you better to dump him after when you are going to lose anyway?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/843414177532141568

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/843414681146421248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Convincing evidence that the rebounding fortunes of the coalition were caused by the strong leadership of Dutton, and they should switch to him before the next election

• Locked thread