Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow, so much for Bastion big overhaul. Played him a few maps and he sucks as much as he did pre-buff. And he dies super easy even in turret mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The full comments:

quote:

Developer Comments: Lucio has often felt like a must-pick due to his raw healing output and the versatility of providing a speed bonus to your entire team. The goal of these changes is to keep those elements feeling strong, but making them harder to apply to everyone on your team at all times. The end result is that he should feel stronger with teams that he can stay close to but not as strong when on teams with heroes that are often spread out (such as Pharah, Widow, Genji, etc). Much of Lucio’s character power was tied up in his large passive auras, which caused other elements of his kit to be weakened over time in an attempt to balance him. Now that his auras are more focused it will allow them to be much stronger and allow Lucio to be more active in his role.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rirse posted:

Wow, so much for Bastion big overhaul. Played him a few maps and he sucks as much as he did pre-buff. And he dies super easy even in turret mode.

Good

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rirse posted:

they dropped his passive damage resistance from 35% to 20% because people complained about it

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tenebrais posted:

Remember it shows the highest icon you earned, not your current one. Those diamonds may well have dropped far.

Doesn't that mean they probably intentionally hanjo'd down just to piss everybody off?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Manatee Cannon posted:

they dropped his passive damage resistance from 35% to 20% because people complained about it
for good reason, I'll add

he was really unfun to play against when it was 35%

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbh I never really felt much difference

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

IronicDongz posted:

for good reason, I'll add

he was really unfun to play against when it was 35%

Absolutely, he was way too hard to kill, as he would survive a direct junkrat tire.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On console at least that 20% is pretty good most of the time

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Doesn't that mean they probably intentionally hanjo'd down just to piss everybody off?

Not necessarily. They could have had an exceptional set of games where they were playing far above their true SR, but after several games they dropped because they weren't able to keep up that level of play and they dropped. Or they just had an exceptionally bad series of games like Bottom Liner and dropped a massive amount of SR.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 19, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

On console at least that 20% is pretty good most of the time

on console it's still 35

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Why did they get rid of Quick Play on the PTR lol

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Semper Fudge posted:

Why did they get rid of Quick Play on the PTR lol

Because they specifically want to test comp changes on the PTR right now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Manatee Cannon posted:

on console it's still 35

Oh, well I guess it's less broken on Console, assuming it doesn't get changed when the Orisa update comes out

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Rirse posted:

Actually Bastion was always good. I have a friend who wrecked face with him pre-buff and he wrecks even harder now.

The secret to Bastion is you can't just park him willy nilly. The team needs to at least put in a half-hearted effort to keep him alive and he'll pay back dividends tenfold. He needs to get in position for a push, get a pick or two, and bug out as soon as people start firing on him. After that you play him as soldier without helix rocket until the enemy forgets about you and you get in a new position, then rinse and repeat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's no way that won't change. not that it really matters since it mostly just bad for pulse bomb and the tire as is; bastion's pretty bad otherwise even with the dr. plus nanoboost gives him the same dr either way since the cap is 70%

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
The side effect of that resistance debuff is that his ultimate is now really tough to use properly. Like yeah it vaporizes everything if you land hits but you're still a slow flat dumb target that gets murdered in seconds. It's a change I still haven't gotten used to yet, landing rockets at such a low vantage point is really annoying and doesn't suit splash hits at all.

Recon mode Bastion is extremely good now and I'm glad since that allows him to shine more as a 'heavy mobile gun guy' rather than just 'a turret that can move sometimes', doubly so since I find his standing model/animations cool. I remember one game where I was able to hold off a payload by dancing around it while repairing long enough for the rest of my team to arrive. I'm still scared as ever to morph into turret mode though.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Gee nerfing the damage of the character whose whole reason to exist is making GBS threads out damage didn't make him super playable? (without the broken as gently caress damage mitigation) Odd. Buuuuut he'll counter Reinhardt!11!!!1

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bastion still seems pretty good in quick-play. I dunno about comp but I don't care about comp.

Lucio changes I'll have to see.

Also in quick play I have discovered that pocketing a Winston who knows what he's doing is really funny. Discord his harassment target, orb him, let him jump and kinda try to keep LOS on him.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://gfycat.com/FlippantRequiredCormorant

This is how fast comp rounds can go with the new A/D changes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Theta Zero posted:

Lol that's gonna have to change

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Theta Zero posted:

This is because the defending team literally didn't even touch the point when they were on attack. I don't know what the solution for that is or if there should be some minimum threshold, but a team deserves to lose if they really went 0% on attack and they should know they're going to need bodies on the point at all times. Its like having bodies on the payload in OT where every meter counts.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that's not the whole thing though, one team got smoked so hard they didn't get any percentage at all
if you are in that situation on defense you have to sit your rear end on the point, which is fine and fair, because you already got super duper outplayed when you were on offense.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
why can't they just use the 2 ticks on the progress bar instead of having it work like this? :doh:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I assume the same happens in Payload if the attackers can't move the payload at all in the first round.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SKULL.GIF posted:

why can't they just use the 2 ticks on the progress bar instead of having it work like this? :doh:
why would that be better than having it like this? this way, whoever does better, even if it's by a small increment, wins. you don't have to reach a breakpoint where the game says "ok, you already did better, but now it's better enough."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that does in fact already happen in payload if one team can't move it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This is to combat draws right? Maybe it's cause I don't really care all that much about comp, but I don't really see what's so bad about draws. I mean you don't WIN but... you also don't lose so

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Macaluso posted:

No, this is a good change. The attacking team literally never even touched the point, which is why they immediately lost when it was their turn to defend.

This is how it should be. A/D is infamous for its draws and it's suitable for them to reward teams who can more effectively attack the point, even without capping it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Draws are a huge waste of time for all involved.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Macaluso posted:

This is to combat draws right? Maybe it's cause I don't really care all that much about comp, but I don't really see what's so bad about draws. I mean you don't WIN but... you also don't lose so
the reason this is good is, when you play the game, the team who plays better should win, even if they played better by only a little bit. if you get only a bit of cap time, but the other team gets none, you deserve to win!

prior to this change(so live currently) you need to beat the enemy by a bunch and snowball to actually win. which is why so many 2cp games are either stomps or draws

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

A draw is when you can't decide who wins, so gently caress it the match doesn't count. In comp it's just a waste of everyone's time, because they're only there because they want the matches to count.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Macaluso posted:

spending 15 minutes just to draw is extremely frustrating. I'd almost rather just lose earlier and get in another match

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

It's going to be so nice to be able to do something about Bastion. Nine times out of ten knocking him out of whatever doorway he's hiding in is going to get your team to kill him.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Lúcio's boop looks amazing now

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Macaluso posted:

It's a pain in the rear end playing four or five rounds in a row and either completely stomping them all (in which case the last couple rounds are a waste of everyone's time) or getting a draw and having the entire thing mean fuckall, with not much in between. I hated playing twice as many rounds as necessary just because the game wanted to make really really sure that my team of random idiots is really that much better (or worse) than their team of random idiots. It just goes on forever.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Macaluso posted:

drawing is boring as gently caress

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Macaluso posted:

no actually that's cool and good

not as good as if they'd just used stopwatch six months ago but w/e

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I had one game where it was me as Mercy one on one vs. an ulting bastion on the point after the rest of my team died. He missed four shots then walked off the point. I earned that instant victory! Another round our Genji won it by flanking before anybody knew what happened.

I understand the logic behind this change, but in practice it just seems to play out in unsatisfying ways. I think it should be first tick minimum, not any progress at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think that happens because people are used to capture progress not mattering. Correct play under the new system should lead to proper fights over that first bit of progress.