Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

man nurse posted:

It didn't have the gameboy ones.

super weird that Link's Awakening isn't on it. It has eight other Zelda games in the VC.

I'll be glad once 3DS and Wii U are buried and there's just ONE singular VC list. Fragmentation needs to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Will the Switch have the same virtual console as the WiiU? Because I hear Bomberman 64 just came out on the Wii U and I wanna bring that with me

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

well why not posted:

super weird that Link's Awakening isn't on it. It has eight other Zelda games in the VC.

I'll be glad once 3DS and Wii U are buried and there's just ONE singular VC list. Fragmentation needs to go.

I just hope the VC on Switch isn't a trickle feed of releases like it had been on 3DS and Wii U. This is the console to start rolling on that service.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

well why not posted:

LA is one of those games I can't talk about without wanting to play.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
You might remember about a week ago I showed a picture of a Joycon grip I 3D printed. It has the Joycons slide in at a bit of an angle, but it doesn't have any actual 'grip' on it. Beyond that, I find the original Joycon grip lackluster because of its size. For an adult hand, if you rest your palms on the grip, then you can't reach the bottom buttons/stick with your thumb. I waned to fix this. You know what controller I think does have a nice grip?

This is a quick hack to put Joycons into the body of a Steam Controller. I have no experience with CAD programs, I used a web-based program from Autodesk called Tinkercad. You pretty much just add, or more importantly, subtract, to models. This allowed me to essentially stick models of this custom grip, with accuate models of the two Joycons inside it, into the model of a Steam controller, and subtract it out the Joycons to make space for them. That's pretty much all you can do in Tinkercad, there is no ability to really modify the model beyond the addition, subtraction, and basic resizing, hence why the back buttons are still there.

I haven't played with it yet, but quickly holding it in my hand, I think there is a lot of promise here. It is very comfortable to hold, and easy for my thumb to reach everything it needs to. The one problem with this current design is that the shoulder buttons seem difficult to reach, but I think that can be fixed easily by shaving off the top corners of the model. If anyone is interested, I'm going to play some Zelda to see how it works actually using it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Will the Switch have the same virtual console as the WiiU? Because I hear Bomberman 64 just came out on the Wii U and I wanna bring that with me

There hasn't been a peep about the VC on the Switch from Nintendo. I think they're gonna use it's release to fill in any gaps they have in game releases. I wonder how many casual gamers know that virtual console is even a thing. They'd sell a shitload more of these things if they made a virtual console commercial and aired it during NFL/college football games this fall.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Reggie said he know people want GC Virtual Console games. That's about it. Zero acknowledgement on whether or not they're actually working on it.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Revol posted:

If anyone is interested, I'm going to play some Zelda to see how it works actually using it.

i've been looking to use my 3d printer to make a joycon grip for a little bit now and havin' a steam controller grip sounds dope. do you have a download link for the 3d print?

man nurse posted:

It didn't have the gameboy ones.

those are all on the 3DS VC. i haven't gotten the Oracle games yet on it, but i was supper happy i could grab Links Awakening on it.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 19, 2017

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I don't really see people talking about it much which is kinda offputting, but how is I Am Setsuna? I'd love to have an RPG to go on this thing, and know pretty much nothing about the game.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Revol posted:

You might remember about a week ago I showed a picture of a Joycon grip I 3D printed. It has the Joycons slide in at a bit of an angle, but it doesn't have any actual 'grip' on it. Beyond that, I find the original Joycon grip lackluster because of its size. For an adult hand, if you rest your palms on the grip, then you can't reach the bottom buttons/stick with your thumb. I waned to fix this. You know what controller I think does have a nice grip?

This is a quick hack to put Joycons into the body of a Steam Controller. I have no experience with CAD programs, I used a web-based program from Autodesk called Tinkercad. You pretty much just add, or more importantly, subtract, to models. This allowed me to essentially stick models of this custom grip, with accuate models of the two Joycons inside it, into the model of a Steam controller, and subtract it out the Joycons to make space for them. That's pretty much all you can do in Tinkercad, there is no ability to really modify the model beyond the addition, subtraction, and basic resizing, hence why the back buttons are still there.

I haven't played with it yet, but quickly holding it in my hand, I think there is a lot of promise here. It is very comfortable to hold, and easy for my thumb to reach everything it needs to. The one problem with this current design is that the shoulder buttons seem difficult to reach, but I think that can be fixed easily by shaving off the top corners of the model. If anyone is interested, I'm going to play some Zelda to see how it works actually using it.

My dude,that looks rad. Cad modeling is very easy and fun, i think you will enjoy it. However, this method that you're using, is very interesting. Where did you get the original models for the
controllers?
I'm fine with the joycon grip, but you've made me consider making my own 3ds grip with my friends 3d printer and it'd be way easier to start with some actual controller models

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Last weekend I was at my mom's for dinner and my brother asked me about the Switch and my mom goes "oh hey I found the case for the old Game Boy, it's up in your old room."

So I go up there, open the case, no Game Boy but all the games are in there. Including Oracle of Ages, which I never beat. I still have a GBA laying around somewhere though so I'm excited to play it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I don't really see people talking about it much which is kinda offputting, but how is I Am Setsuna? I'd love to have an RPG to go on this thing, and know pretty much nothing about the game.

It's a perfectly standard JRPG. If you want a JRPG, it will service you.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

FiestaDePantalones posted:

It's been out for a while and from what I read very much more of the 16bit era of JPRGs, which I miiiiight want to try. Modern JPRGs make me wish for death.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Just played a little Zelda, and it worked as well as I thought it would. Comfortable, easy to use, but yeah, the shoulder buttons are a problem. And I just realized that the fix will be a little more complicated. It's not that the top needs material shaven off, that is true, but the way you hold the grip, it makes it so that the comfortable resting spot for your index fingers are about an inch behind where the actual shoulder buttons on the Joycon are. I think the Joycon dock in the center needs to be angled on two axis instead of just the one. Not quite sure how I can pull that off, though.

Dieting Hippo posted:

i've been looking to use my 3d printer to make a joycon grip for a little bit now and havin' a steam controller grip sounds dope. do you have a download link for the 3d print?

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/7KzxPve5b87-steam-switch-grip/editv2?sharecode=S5ouXceTdTcz8X5lVf55mAxOaij1D4TQmzMlU5wSuZE=

This link will give you access to the original design on Tinkercad.

ethanol posted:

My dude,that looks rad. Cad modeling is very easy and fun, i think you will enjoy it. However, this method that you're using, is very interesting. Where did you get the original models for the
controllers?
I'm fine with the joycon grip, but you've made me consider making my own 3ds grip with my friends 3d printer and it'd be way easier to start with some actual controller models

This is the Joycon dock I based this off of: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2173035

The Steam controller: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1999283

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Music Theory posted:

Is Fast RMX good for multiplayer?

It's pretty much the only way to go, online or local, because the AI is impossibly hard past the novice tier of races. I haven't encountered any lag or teleporting when playing online, and local 2 player races work very well because the screens are split vertically and racing games work well in portrait mode since you don't need a wide field of view. It's a pretty cool way to get a taste of local multiplayer and using the joy cons as mini gamepads, without buying Snipper Clips.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

I missed you, Stux

He's the only SA user i've ever muted. He was a prolific shitposter in the XB1 thread.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

He's the only SA user i've ever muted. He was a prolific shitposter in the XB1 thread.

What do you mean...."was"

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Throwing away conventions isn't a virtue just for the sake of doing it. BotW succeeds because it throws away conventions in order to deliver an experience that stays true to the spirit of the series.

But it obviously wasn't just for the sake of doing it. A lot of the decisions in Other M were clearly QoL decisions even though they smashed tradition, like removing the heart pieces from a Zelda game, or changing the ammunition system. It was an attempt to hit some of the story-beats of the original Metroid that the comic adaptation tried to touch on, even though they make no sense as the 5th major chronological sequel (such as Samus' PTSD in the Ridley fight). If we're basing its BotW-iness on something being successful, than yea it failed but… it strikes me as the same level of deconstruction.

parallelodad posted:

If any Metroid game did this it was Prime.

Prime is successful in the same way that Ocarina of Time is successful, in that it just took series conventions and made them 3D. It didn't really deconstruct anything from the Metroid universe, it's all still missile packs and Power Suit upgrades hidden in ancient technology. Though it did add the scan function which is a pretty big departure.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Spellman posted:

But it obviously wasn't just for the sake of doing it. A lot of the decisions in Other M were clearly QoL decisions even though they smashed tradition, like removing the heart pieces from a Zelda game, or changing the ammunition system. It was an attempt to hit some of the story-beats of the original Metroid that the comic adaptation tried to touch on, even though they make no sense as the 5th major chronological sequel (such as Samus' PTSD in the Ridley fight). If we're basing its BotW-iness on something being successful, than yea it failed but… it strikes me as the same level of deconstruction.

Prime is successful in the same way that Ocarina of Time is successful, in that it just took series conventions and made them 3D. It didn't really deconstruct anything from the Metroid universe, it's all still missile packs and Power Suit upgrades hidden in ancient technology. Though it did add the scan function which is a pretty big departure.

Well yeah, and the game failed at what it was trying to do and sucked. I'm just saying that throwing away conventions is just part of the equation, what BotW did is throw away the conventions while recognizing and tapping into the core of what people actually liked about the series. People liked dungeons, items, etc, but WHY did they like those things, what is the feeling of engagement and flow you get from those things, that's what BotW keeps while throwing away the wrapper, and then they executed really well on that plan. Other M deconstructs Metroid and delivers something people don't want and executed really poorly.

You're not wrong about Prime, it does do an OOT thing of translating the game to 3d and (importantly) fleshing out the concepts well enough to be worth the transition.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Spellman posted:

Yeah but OM missed the part were the radical departures and alterations recapture the spirit of the unpolished original while take it down a different evolutionary path from the previous sequels. OM was an evolution of Fusion more than anything and it's linear nature and story based unlock system only limited player freedom in a series based originally around discovery and exploration. It is a low point in the series because he creators exactly misunderstood everything good about metroid, it is about as far from a successor to the spirit of the original as it can possibly be.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

ChocNitty posted:

Don't read the Xbox One thread.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Just picked up a switch a few hours ago with zelda:botw.
It's my first nintendo ever and I'm soooo excited but I can't access the store because I can't log in with my nintendo account. It's supposed to send me a code via email but it isn't..
Is the store getting hammered?
Btw, I'm in europe.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

haris pilton posted:

Just picked up a switch a few hours ago with zelda:botw.
It's my first nintendo ever and I'm soooo excited but I can't access the store because I can't log in with my nintendo account. It's supposed to send me a code via email but it isn't..
Is the store getting hammered?
Btw, I'm in europe.

Check your spam folders, I've had Nintendo emails end up there for some reason

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014

Spellman posted:

Check your spam folders, I've had Nintendo emails end up there for some reason

Yessssss thank you kind sir

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So is Nintendo just saving all the new information about the Switch until E3?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I am loving my Switch and look forward to Splatoon 2 and Mario.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i really really would like some virtual console games on the switch

like sooner rather than later

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I'm guessing they want to evolve the Switch's interface beyond All Your Games Listed Horizontally In One Line before they dump entire libraries of VC games onto the store

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Spellman posted:

I'm guessing they want to evolve the Switch's interface beyond All Your Games Listed Horizontally In One Line before they dump entire libraries of VC games onto the store

Why not just have an app that manages your vc games

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Revol posted:

A design problem I see with this is that it amplifies the biggest problem with the joy-cons: the unnatural gate between your thumb buttons and stick. I think the joycons should face outwards, rather than inwardly which would be closer to a standard game controller

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
There's an alternate view for the home screen as soon as you get to like 12+ games, according to Nintendo Life. It basically turns into 3 rows of smaller icons with maybe 10 games in each row.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

ethanol posted:

Windwaker is my favorite 3d Zelda

This is correct.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Nolgthorn posted:

Why not just have an app that manages your vc games

It's not as satisfying IMO.

pech
Jul 19, 2004

My left joycon's battery is depleting way faster than my right one. Is that normal? I've just been playing Zelda.
It's kind of annoying

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

zenintrude posted:

Binding of Isaac is good. I am bad at it.

My review exactly. This game is very neat and fun. I've died 475,652,076 times in the last 2 hours.

I'm going back in.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they named the good link linkle

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

pech posted:

My left joycon's battery is depleting way faster than my right one. Is that normal? I've just been playing Zelda.
It's kind of annoying

Mine does that, let the left one drain completely, then recharge both together for awhile, all day or overnight, then it should fix it. At least i havent noticed it happening again but i havent been playing as much lately so i charge more than i play. (Im loving busy til next week damnit)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i 100% binidng of isaac before afterbirht + came out, and I havent bought that

you'll get hundreds of hours on it if you enjoy that style of game

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Me in 2006: Nintendo would be drowning in money if they just dumped their whole catalog on the Wii virtual console.

Me in 2013: Nintendo would be drowning in money if they just dumped their whole catalog on the Wii U virtual console.

Me in 2017: Nintendo would be drowning in money if they just dumped their whole catalog on the Switch virtual console.

Me in 2024: I'm so glad the AmazonSonyApple Conglomerate bought out Nintendo so now I can play every Nintendo game on my iGlassStation Fire HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I don't think I saw anyone mention this but apparently the $40 eshop price for puyo puyo tetris is a mistake

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232281178&postcount=287

• Locked thread