Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Frames were always janky as all get out and the sooner we move beyond such awkwardness to modern versions the better

the definitive modded minecraft version has yet to arrive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

AceClown posted:

I disagree with this point, the rednet controller needs a loving advanced degree to use, the basic logic things RedPower are really intuitive to use.
You might be interested in Super Circuit Maker then

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Rutibex, please never lose your hard on for Redpower. Still, I have no idea why people look back on that mod and think, "wow yes that was good" when there's so much more and there's so much better today, even in 1.10.2.

I know a lot of people still want to play 1.7.10 and fair enough, but the performance and QoL improvements in 1.10.2 make it a smoother and overall more enjoyable experience.

Johnny Joestar posted:

the only thing that will be lost from 1.10 is a handful of crufty tech mods that refuse to update that will be replaced by something else in due time
Pretty much this, there's really very little for me missing from 1.10.2 at the moment, but lol if your requirement for a "definitive" version relies on Redpower features.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rutibex posted:

Red Power let you build moving custom multi-block machines out of frame motors and computer controllers, I do not see anything like that any more. This stuff is just really cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI7a552_CXQ

So, if you liked the frames and funky locomotion, what do you think of something like this?

It's got physics:

But more importantly, it's got explosions!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The servos you have on the fountains are not doing anything. They don't work to close an "output" fluiduct.

Have you tried just letting the fountain output the lava no matter what? I am not 100% sure, but I don't think that a thermalilly will consume lava if it can't make mana from it.

Also, thermalillies are terrible mana, just so you know. Endoflames produce 50% more mana per tick than thermalillies.

Thermalillies have this weird cooldown where they produce for fifteen seconds, then cool for five minutes, and if they get lava in those five minutes they do nothing and reset the cooldown.

And yeah, I'm going to set up an Endoflame field, I just want to make use of the flowers I have already. Quests gave me four Thermalillies and eight Beegonias, I don't even have a petal apothecary yet.

Nevets posted:

I've always had bad luck with servos working off redstone pulses. Have you cycling filled buckets to dispensers and empty ones back out to fluidcrafters, with the clock setup to pulse the dispensers? That's how I did my thermalilly farm in Regrowth.
That sounds complex and inelegant, but I'll give it a shot.

Speaking of complex and inelegant, I've also started working on thaumcraft. :dawkins101:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Some things never change apparently. The FTB dudes are currently busy arguing on reddit that Quark letting you place a downward ladder more conveniently is way too overpowered and had to be taken out.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Threep posted:

Some things never change apparently. The FTB dudes are currently busy arguing on reddit that Quark letting you place a downward ladder more conveniently is way too overpowered and had to be taken out.

Modding Minecraft is too complex an artform for laypeople to grasp the intricacies of ladder balance, better leave it up to the pros

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ahaha wow that line of reasoning

"downward ladders should require string so they're balanced" what the hell

i was starting to get worried that everyone in the MINECRAFT MODDED COMMUNITY was starting to become reasonable but this poo poo returns my expectations to normal

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Threep posted:

Never thought I'd see the day ladders of any kind would be overpowered but here we are.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FTB Beyond's design choices are very, very bizarre. From what people are saying on reddit, they also changed the recipe for Psi's basic pistol (as in, the one you need to start using the mod) so that you need to kill the ender dragon and the wither three times each to make it.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

FTB Beyond's design choices are very, very bizarre. From what people are saying on reddit, they also changed the recipe for Psi's basic pistol (as in, the one you need to start using the mod) so that you need to kill the ender dragon and the wither three times each to make it.

I haven't messed around with Psi yet, what does it normally require? I'm guessing not an endgame recipe.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I haven't messed around with Psi yet, what does it normally require? I'm guessing not an endgame recipe.
Just iron and redstone to get started. So no, not even close to an endgame recipe. I don't even think the mod adds any new mineable resources.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm not gonna rant on inventory management as an example again, since I've done that like a dozen times already, but yeah the running trend here really seems to be "convenience should be incredibly expensive". You could just as easily drop a bucket of water for like 2 seconds and then ladder your way up, so it's not like this is even a unique ability. Quark's ladders don't even hang free like rope ladders do, they just let you place them without doing the stupid awkward tap-shift-slow-descent thing. For free-hanging ladders you have to make them out of metal, and they're way more expensive.
Also Quark is very modular and it's easy to change or disable things in the cfg, I hope these people aren't trying to say the option should be taken out.

Similarly: Ha ha ha holy poo poo @ the Psi thing though. What the gently caress does it do that you'd even want at that point? I mean even in purely relative-strength terms, you'd have much, much better equipment by that time.
I remember skimming a list of community-made Psi spells and none of them seemed that useful, especially since power caps so low in-game even with the best stuff that most statuses you inflict will last like 1.5 seconds and entities move about 1 block. I think 'blink' is one of the only ones I ended up using.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just iron and redstone to get started. So no, not even close to an endgame recipe. I don't even think the mod adds any new mineable resources.

:psyduck: That's quite a jump to into progression, now I'm going to go home and add Psi to my current modpack just to see what all the fuss is about.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I'm not gonna rant on inventory management as an example again, since I've done that like a dozen times already, but yeah the running trend here really seems to be "convenience should be incredibly expensive".
That's a problem with a lot of survival-based games, to be fair.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Similarly: Ha ha ha holy poo poo @ the Psi thing though. What the gently caress does it do that you'd even want at that point? I mean even in purely relative-strength terms, you'd have much, much better equipment by that time.
I remember skimming a list of community-made Psi spells and none of them seemed that useful, especially since power caps so low in-game even with the best stuff that most statuses you inflict will last like 1.5 seconds and entities move about 1 block. I think 'blink' is one of the only ones I ended up using.

It's pretty nice on skyblock maps, because it has a spell type that lets you rewind yourself in time. More than once I'd fallen off my platform, then quickly switched to my psi gun and rewound back to on top of the platform :v:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Meanwhile, since Mcjty's cable mod Xnet is now past a 1.0 release I've been testing it out in combination with his unique power generation mod Deep Resonance, which is pretty much designed to give you logistics problems to solve. Xnet is basically a new take on Logistics Pipes while Deep Resonance is about creating crystals that give you varying amounts of RF depending on how much effort you put into the process. Deep Resonance's crystals are made with a process that starts with smelting Resonating Ore into crystal liquid. The complicated part is that the liquid has 4 variables, quality, purity, strength and efficiency, that decide how good the resulting crystal is. Quality is entirely decided by the smelting step. The smeltery slowly consumes a tank of lava to run, and if the amount of lava in the tank is kept between 40-60% you end up with 100% quality liquid. The trickier part is that it runs quicker closer to 60%, but if it goes over 60% the quality craters.

Adding Xnet in easily solves this. Here's the Xnet controller supplying everything the Smelter needs to run:
  • Channel 1 extracts power from a battery and supplies it to the controller and smeltery
  • Channel 2 pulls resonating ore out of a drawer and into the smeltery
  • Channel 3 extracts lava from a source and inserts it into the tank under the smeltery, but only up to a max of 9500 mB (slightly above 59%)

And here's the result:

It's possible to just crystalize that right away, but since the purity determines how much of the crystal's output is RF and how much is radiation it's not really a good idea, so the next step is running it through a purifier which uses a compound made from gravel, coal and sand to slowly bring it to 85% purity giving a (default settings) output of 1700 RF/tick and about 80 million total. Similar results for similar effort as Big Reactors, but beats making the reactor for the Nth time.

Once you have a few crystals you can use those to fuel a laser and throw various items into it (from redstone to nether stars) to raise strength and efficiency for much stronger crystals.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Vib Rib posted:

I'm not gonna rant on inventory management as an example again, since I've done that like a dozen times already, but yeah the running trend here really seems to be "convenience should be incredibly expensive". You could just as easily drop a bucket of water for like 2 seconds and then ladder your way up, so it's not like this is even a unique ability. Quark's ladders don't even hang free like rope ladders do, they just let you place them without doing the stupid awkward tap-shift-slow-descent thing. For free-hanging ladders you have to make them out of metal, and they're way more expensive.
Also Quark is very modular and it's easy to change or disable things in the cfg, I hope these people aren't trying to say the option should be taken out.

I think the biggest thing I use psi for is mining. Being able to 3 shot a wither is also nice until you can get a proper farm built. I agree that once you have multiple dragon eggs, it's useless.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
:confused:

I think searching for things in JEI did this. Had been sitting on 8gb in use and then suddenly a JEI search froze the client up and everything else started locking up too, so I checked out the resource monitor and it was sitting on that number.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

In a way, he almost is insisting the option should be taken out. He thinks Vazkii should change it to a different item entirely using ladders and string. Because he apparently thinks mining straight down in a 1-block hole is a thing people do and that's too powerful. It's ridiculous. I even pointed out to him how ridiculous it was.

They are reverting the psi recipe changes. Thankfully. I don't really use Psi but the recipe changes were massively stupid.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

The arguably strong stuff is:
  • Auto-torch on low light level (who cares)
  • 1x2/1x3/3x3 auto mine (with or without torches) [who cares you have to stand still which is annoying and the pack has TiC hammers and unnerfed AA drills]
  • Auto-bonemeal without bonemeal (actually really strong, but this is 1 thing out of an entire mod)
I don't think anything else is in its own class good unless I'm missing something. Lots of other stuff is good and fun and situationally useful, but it's not wrecking progression or invalidating other mods. Maybe some magic mods, but big spoiler: magic mods are usually highly suboptimal and make you do a poo poo ton of work for something you could have gotten in <1 hour not doing the magic mod. And people who enjoy magic mods are going to do them anyway because they are fun, different, and sometimes cool.

I was expecting the recipe to take a few diamond blocks, maybe some nether mats, and that's all. Instead it takes mats that make it never really worth building. Especially with AA in the pack. I think FTB just hates it because nothing is gated once you build those blocks, but given how the mod works it's fine. And I'm someone who hates flight period and likes "hard mode" or "gregtech" type packs.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 17, 2017

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There was a really cool magic-only 1.7 server hosted on SA a few years ago, and it was really fun until a bunch of golems rose up and tanked the server, or something I don't remember. Does anyone know if that person made a new server? Or do they still read this thread? Is there an updated version of that modpack for 1.10 or whatever?

I don't know what to do with all of the configs (and I'm far too lazy to dig around and figure it out) when I build a modpack, so I don't know if I'm actually getting the most out of them when I make one myself, so I really like pre-done ones, and the all-magic was a really neat theme.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serifina posted:

In a way, he almost is insisting the option should be taken out. He thinks Vazkii should change it to a different item entirely using ladders and string. Because he apparently thinks mining straight down in a 1-block hole is a thing people do and that's too powerful. It's ridiculous. I even pointed out to him how ridiculous it was.
I'll admit that my usual mining method is "dig into the side of a hill/mountain, then dig a 1x2 hole straight down, stopping occasionally to set up platforms or explore caves", but even so being able to just lower a bunch of ladders onto a hole I found isn't "OP", it's convenient. It's not like I'm just spawning endgame items out of thin air, I'm just digging straight down and placing ladders as I go to see what I find.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'll admit that my usual mining method is "dig into the side of a hill/mountain, then dig a 1x2 hole straight down, stopping occasionally to set up platforms or explore caves", but even so being able to just lower a bunch of ladders onto a hole I found isn't "OP", it's convenient. It's not like I'm just spawning endgame items out of thin air, I'm just digging straight down and placing ladders as I go to see what I find.

You basically just described my mining method. Nobody digs 1x1 holes straight down. They either dig staircases or 1x2 holes down then ladder back up. Being able to place ladders below you is handy for, like, ravines and caves, but you can get the same effect with a bucket of goddamn water. Being able to place ladders below you is a quality of life thing, nothing more.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serifina posted:

Being able to place ladders below you is handy for, like, ravines and caves, but you can get the same effect with a bucket of goddamn water.
Clearly the solution here is to nerf buckets. Maybe make it so you need to forge them in a sterling generator out of a stack of ender pearls or something.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Clearly the solution here is to nerf buckets. Maybe make it so you need to forge them in a sterling generator out of a stack of ender pearls or something.
If it takes that much it should be an Ender Bucket but it requires a block to be placed in a Deep Ocean Biome and never runs out of water.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Buckets can only be made out of dark steel and break after use.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone ever update the Diamond Buckets mod for 1.7.10? I miss all those buckets types.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Can't use Nether Stars and Dragon Eggs for crafting, you can easily gain an infinite amount using a grinder! If anything we should adopt the Terrafirmacraft style of not being able to move water sources.

The person making this change feels ice is absolutely fine and there is no problem just using ice to place water everywhere.

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.
So I've been trying to play the Grimdark pack on the curse launcher, but I keep running into bad FPS lag in game. I know I can run other 1.10 modpacks like All The Mods, but I've got no clue why Grimdark is getting as bad as a quarter of second of movement every few seconds. Is there a mod or tool that lets me figure out what is causing these issues?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mechanicalFactory posted:

So I've been trying to play the Grimdark pack on the curse launcher, but I keep running into bad FPS lag in game. I know I can run other 1.10 modpacks like All The Mods, but I've got no clue why Grimdark is getting as bad as a quarter of second of movement every few seconds. Is there a mod or tool that lets me figure out what is causing these issues?
How much RAM is available to the pack? Lots of 1.10 packs don't work well with <6gb.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Turning off mipmaps might fix it?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

mechanicalFactory posted:

Someone had the same problem and turned off mipmaps, which fixed it.

Edit: wtf I posted BEFORE frenzy, why is my post after his?!

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.

frenzy posted:

Turning off mipmaps might fix it?

McFrugal posted:

Someone had the same problem and turned off mipmaps, which fixed it.

Edit: wtf I posted BEFORE frenzy, why is my post after his?!

I did turn off mipmaps, it helped somewhat at start, but after playing for a bit, the lag kept getting worse.

Khorne posted:

How much RAM is available to the pack? Lots of 1.10 packs don't work well with <6gb.

I gave it 5gb using the launcher, I can't give it anymore since my computer only has 8gb of RAM.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Get more RAM; modded minecraft is a monster at consuming it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Minecraft Modding: Please download more RAM to continue

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

People were asking about Regrowth-style packs before; I just found one called hypovolemia , which is the same start-in-a-wasteland style, but it's based mainly around Blood Magic.

Practical Logistics 2 also came out, if you like data readouts.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I have 8gb, I allocate 7gb and somehow Win10 survives with 20+ tabs open in Firefox. You should be able to load it with 4-5gb though, something else is going on.

Sometimes with an issue like that you can induce a crash a report by using ctrl+alt+del to kill the process. Make sure the only Java you have installed is 64bit Java 8.

hop in the discord, I can help troubleshoot.

frenzy fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 19, 2017

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I got my lava timer working, then decided I could use the same footprint to set up a bee shower, too.

In the background is my Thaumcraft treehouse. To the right of it is my regular-rear end house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Of note is you can automate feeding a beegonia exactly the same as an endoflame: three redstone dust, a wooden pressure plate, two half-slabs, an open crate, and a hopper. Optional chest on the hopper for extended storage of bees to burn. (all bees must burn)