Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Look at those colors.
https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/6034806022.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
gently caress let me get on trading my ktm for that asap

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's in amazing condition but having ridden a few, they're pretty underwhelming to ride; substantially slower than a 250F, let alone an actual 2t MX bike. Performance feels about equal with what my super sherpa had, suspension is meh, power band is super duper narrow so they don't make a very good road bike/motard.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I've gotten stupid comfortable on the 300, it's spring, been on it a year, so I'm getting a newbike itch. Cycle-ergo.com says sv650s have fairly different ergos gen-to-gen, and the fact that supposedly the 04-08 ones have a smaller knee angle than my 300 makes me worried, but I'm glad the hip angle is bigger. So, I have two questions:

What's best for tall fucks like my 6'2" 34" inseam self? I could save more and get newer, or go older and deal with carbs, to have comfort.
What matters more? Hip or Knee angle? or is it person to person? My knees never bug me but my hips do.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I would examine why you want to change it up more before shopping. Power? Suspension? Ergonomics? Luggage and practicality? An SV 650 will be marginally faster but will have basically the same budget oriented components as a 300

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Versys?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

I would examine why you want to change it up more before shopping. Power? Suspension? Ergonomics? Luggage and practicality? An SV 650 will be marginally faster but will have basically the same budget oriented components as a 300

Marginally faster? I thought they were significantly so. Passing power is lacking since I'm not exactly a lightweight and I ride at altitude a lot.
Suspension? I'm going to have to mod almost any bike I get, I would think. I'm #210.
Ergos? Yeah, the Ninja 300 is a little small for longer rides.
Luggage and practicality? I'd love some panniers.

Anyway, in plain English, I want more comfort, more power, and goons go nuts over the SV650, and they're cheap and easy to find, and people say they're comfortable and fast. Cycle-Ergo tells me a FZ6 would also be good but that's got even more power and I'd have to learn the peaky powerband. I have also read that SV1000s are good for bigger people, but that huge rear end engine :aaaaa:

Z3n posted:

Versys?

I'd hit it. I've also liked stroms. Twice the cost of a SV650 though. I've also considered your suggestion of VFRs, but hip angle.

I wonder if cycle-ergo is wrong or if there's more to it than just hip/knee angle.

Comedy option just get a ZRX and commit insurance fraud on the ninja I guess?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

You're just going to have to try them and see what fits you best.

I will say that the fz6 I rode a few years ago had to be hammered into gear, and the sv650 had an awful seat. Of the two, I'd get the Suzuki because the seat is an easier problem to solve.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
SV1000s are apparently less reliable than the 650s, but I've never owned either so I can't comment from personal experience.

The FZ6 is pretty upright and easy to set up for luggage (BTW a top box is usually easier to deal with and more convenient than panniers), but like the other bikes mentioned you'll at least want to re-spring the forks and possibly swap the shock for something else too, since it will also suffer from budget suspension. The power and isn't what I would call peaky, it's not like it hits 8k RPM and just takes off like a rocket.

Are you looking for something more touring/practicality oriented, or are you looking for something sporty that you can strap a bag onto? Honda NT700Vs fit the former and are cheap as hell because they're a mid-weight dad bike.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I wanna go fast and have fun :kiddo: I also would like a little more comfort.

Before I got into bieks I had some fairly quick cars (a supercharged CTS-V being the peak of that) and wouldn't mind getting back there on two wheels.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Space Whale posted:

I'd hit it. I've also liked stroms. Twice the cost of a SV650 though. I've also considered your suggestion of VFRs, but hip angle.

I wonder if cycle-ergo is wrong or if there's more to it than just hip/knee angle.

I'm 6'6" and currently 330lbs on my vstrom dl1000 and it's comfortable. https://www.adventuretech.biz sells kits for lowering the pegs and pushing the shifter forward if you have big feet too. They also have raising links to raise the bike. I bought a pair but haven't had a a chance to install them. The company works with both the dl650 and dl1000, new and old. My legs never bother me, but my rear end hurts. I think I might just be too big for the seat. PO was short and had foam carved out of the seat making it a not very good fit for me. Sitting on the pillion is comfortable though haha.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
SV650s are pretty comfy. I suggest finding a naked one or putting bars on one. I was able to find a set up naked with all the bolt ons for under 4k in Houston. My 2nd SV650. :D

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Why do you keep asking the same drat question every month?.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Space Whale posted:

Oh, you.

The SV650 will be *significantly* faster than your 300, with an extra perception boost from the loads of extra torque all over. The naked 2nd gen are comfy with lowering the rearsets, a compact beefy package, and have massive gas tanks. I never had a problem with my seat, but get an aftermarket if you want.

But, nthing sitting down and figuring out exactly what you aren't satisfied with in your current bike, and then seeing your options.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Why do you keep asking the same drat question every month?.

'cause buying or trading bikes every month is much more expensive, duh

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Considered a VTR1000F? I think they call them Superhawks over there. Ticks all the boxes you listed.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The range on them is anysmal, the reg/rectifier WILL fail and you should do away with the stock cam chain tensioners. Other than that, they're great. I'm glad I sold mine to my dad so he has to deal with that poo poo instead of me. :haw:

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Shimrod posted:

Considered a VTR1000F? I think they call them Superhawks over there. Ticks all the boxes you listed.

See, this is why I'm wondering if something's up with cycle-ergo. According to this, it's less comfortable joint-angle-wise than my 300.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Superhawk is a slightly-backed-off race bike (RC51) while your Ninja 300 is a small standard. The riding position is absolutely going to be more aggressive on the Honda.

Don't get a VTR1000 for your second bike please. You've said you want to "go fast and have fun and a little more comfort." The SV650 will feel like it has a hyperdrive and it will be fun to ride and it will be significantly more comfortable to ride than a Superhawk. Get the SV.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 19, 2017

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

The SV650 will feel like it has a hyperdrive and it will be fun to ride and it will be significantly more comfortable to ride than a Superhawk. Get the SV.

Avoid the s model if you're worried about ergos, though. It's almost the same as the VTR.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah you're describing an SV650 or a Ninja 650. Look at any relatively upright parallel twin or v-twin for your second bike in the 600-900cc range.

A MIRACLE posted:

An SV650 or any 650 twin is significantly faster than a 250. Modern 250s are only ~20% lighter than an SV, and with about 1/3rd the HP.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Don't get a VTR1000 for your second bike please. You've said you want to "go fast and have fun and a little more comfort." The SV650 will feel like it has a hyperdrive and it will be fun to ride and it will be significantly more comfortable to ride than a Superhawk. Get the SV.

I did get a VTR1000F as a second bike, and with the benefit of hindsight, I'd get an SV650.

Fats posted:

Avoid the s model if you're worried about ergos, though. It's almost the same as the VTR.

This was not my experience. SV riding position was far more neutral (and comfortable despite the seat) than the Honda. Depends on the individual riding it I suspect though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

An SV650 or any 650 twin is significantly faster than a 250. Modern 250s are only ~20% lighter than an SV, and with about 1/3rd the HP.

When I rode an SV650 last year, after being on a 250 for a year, I was in abject terror the entire time from the power. And I've owned an SV before...

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Carth Dookie posted:

I did get a VTR1000F as a second bike, and with the benefit of hindsight, I'd get an SV650.

zero is especially retarded so yeah a superhawk is probably a bad idea

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Maybe I'm broken, I don't equate a Superhawk with fast/dangerous as far as bikes go, and I own one. I found it quite placid and easy to ride :/

Then again I consider my 690smc the easiest bike on the planet to ride too :/

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Shimrod posted:

Maybe I'm broken, I don't equate a Superhawk with fast/dangerous as far as bikes go, and I own one. I found it quite placid and easy to ride :/

It is, once you get used to it. It's light for a 1000 (of the age), narrow and easy to get yer leg over. The brakes are pretty good and it doesn't have a particularly twitchy throttle (or at least mine didn't). Those are actually all great things for someone coming from a smaller bike.

But it's still 100+ hp and a gently caress ton of torque for someone who has been riding a 300cc for 12 months. It also doesn't have modern suspension or ABS or anything like that.

Space Whale posted:

Before I got into bieks I had some fairly quick cars (a supercharged CTS-V being the peak of that) and wouldn't mind getting back there on two wheels.

Fast bikes are nothing like fast cars.

Also the Honda is unlikely to be very comfortable.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 20, 2017

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

Fast bikes are nothing like fast cars.

Get this written on your cast, at least.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

builds character posted:

Oh hey, how's it going? Long time no see! Me? Pretty well, thanks. Oh, yeah, that's great. Glad to hear it. Oh, when? No, I have a thing. Maybe another time? Thursday? No? Well, let me know when does. Great, great. See you around. Hah! Yeah, probably same time next month when you'll ignore my advice to get a wr250 again. Haha, well funny isn't the word I'd use, but take care of yourself.

Space Whale posted:

I've gotten stupid comfortable on the 300, it's spring, been on it a year, so I'm getting a newbike itch. Cycle-ergo.com says sv650s have fairly different ergos gen-to-gen, and the fact that supposedly the 04-08 ones have a smaller knee angle than my 300 makes me worried, but I'm glad the hip angle is bigger. So, I have two questions:

What's best for tall fucks like my 6'2" 34" inseam self? I could save more and get newer, or go older and deal with carbs, to have comfort.
What matters more? Hip or Knee angle? or is it person to person? My knees never bug me but my hips do.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shimrod posted:

They're easy to ride when you've spent years developing your not-a-retard sense but 100hp is a shitload for a rank amateur.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
How many bikes / miles do goons need to ride before anything beyond a modern 600CC standard is ok?

A Superhawk isn't anything like an RC51. I would be shocked if the RC51 and superhawk share any parts at all. The newest superhawk you can buy is a 2002 - and I believe that was the only year with a tank large enough to give you a range beyond 120 miles. They're good bikes, the motor is a less fun versions of the Aprilia Rotax, but the range is awful. It'd be a fine second bike, but you're talking about a 15 year old bike at the newest.

At some point if you're going to ride a fast bike, you have to make the transition from a slow one. Should zero do that after only a year of riding, probably not. If you don't have the throttle control and coordination to handle a fast bike coming from a 300, you probably shouldn't be riding a motorcycle.

I would choose an SV650 over an FZ6/1. I've never ridden an sv1000, maybe that's a great bike I don't know. I found the FZ6/1 to be really boring and really buzzy. Another decent option would be an VFR800.

If you want to get more interesting BMW / Ducati / Aprilia all have bikes that are in that range of SV/VFR stuff. An Aprilia Shiver would be an interesting option.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

n8r posted:

How many bikes / miles do goons need to ride before anything beyond a modern 600CC standard is ok?

A Superhawk isn't anything like an RC51. I would be shocked if the RC51 and superhawk share any parts at all. The newest superhawk you can buy is a 2002 - and I believe that was the only year with a tank large enough to give you a range beyond 120 miles. They're good bikes, the motor is a less fun versions of the Aprilia Rotax, but the range is awful. It'd be a fine second bike, but you're talking about a 15 year old bike at the newest.

At some point if you're going to ride a fast bike, you have to make the transition from a slow one. Should zero do that after only a year of riding, probably not. If you don't have the throttle control and coordination to handle a fast bike coming from a 300, you probably shouldn't be riding a motorcycle.

I would choose an SV650 over an FZ6/1. I've never ridden an sv1000, maybe that's a great bike I don't know. I found the FZ6/1 to be really boring and really buzzy. Another decent option would be an VFR800.

If you want to get more interesting BMW / Ducati / Aprilia all have bikes that are in that range of SV/VFR stuff. An Aprilia Shiver would be an interesting option.

I don't think zero has bought a gopro yet so...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Two bikes and ten to twenty thousand miles.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

n8r posted:

Where'd you get that new title? If anything, you've calmed down a lot in the last year.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Where'd you get that new title? If anything, you've calmed down a lot in the last year.

it is so accurate im assuming his "wife" bought it for him

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Trolling biz/fin.

I haven't posted much in CA because meh.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Slavvy posted:

They're easy to ride when you've spent years developing your not-a-retard sense but 100hp is a shitload for a rank amateur.

Wouldn't the rank part be gone after a year or does that stick until you've literally won a trophy of some sort.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Space Whale posted:

Wouldn't the rank part be gone after a year or does that stick until you've literally won a trophy of some sort.

go buy a literbike and im sure you will win something

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Shouldn't driving a 600+ hp CTS-V count for something?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Shouldn't driving a 600+ hp CTS-V count for something?

hahaha

zero post gopro footage of your lines railing through summit county so we can decide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

just get a VMAX