Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Chocolove all the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymx-hWG5TNI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

McSpankWich posted:

For now just run the story, you'll get plenty of stuffs and level at a good pace.
Ok, good to know.

Cartoon Man posted:

How new? I'd re-roll like hell till I score Noctis or Gilgamesh...or Noctis and Gilgamesh!
I'm far enough along I don't want to reroll but I did roll some 6* that seem to be well regarded, including Cecil and Exdeath.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I'm a new player currently planning on spending all my energy farming gil snapper this weekend. I noticed you can buy 4 metal cactuar on the store for 20,000 gil. Would that be worth buying?

Don't forget to run the Ifrit raid as much as you can. Get all the high attack Noctis buddies you can find and use them to clear Pro since you can fire flask to paralyze Ifrit then spend the following turns hitting with Warp Break/Link to debuff Ifrit's defense and then buff your own stats. Those clears with then get you 5.1k (and counting) coins per win which you can spend on the event's special banner and run ADV any time you don't have a whale Noctis friend available. As a result you'll get a ton of Thancreds to smash together for his Trust reward, and you'll get Minfilia before too long. Ideally you'll get Y'shtola as well and she'll cover your healing needs indefinitely as long as you get enough of her event-specific materials (you'll get these before you get her unless you're very lucky). Basically make sure you're running the Ifrit raid if you have orbs to spend because the rewards from doing so will be a huge help to you in the form of an extremely good healer, a solid supporter, and an army of Thancreds to feed to each other for their 10% hp/atk TMRs. :chef:

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
So if I use 500 coins I get nothing but mats, but if I use like +2k I get units + mats?

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

hagie posted:

So if I use 500 coins I get nothing but mats, but if I use like +2k I get units + mats?

Its just RNG. There's X things you can "win" from a pull and they all have different odds.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
:negative: over 100 points of stamina spent on TM farming, less than 10 TM % points gained team-wide. This game is incredibly disheartening this week.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Is it possible to play this game as a casual peasant who just wants to play a bit and pick characters for their looks or because I like the game they're from instead of stats, or is it one of those games where you either put a lot of effort into grind and minmaxing or you can't do poo poo

I read the OP and the stuff like grinding trust and tier lists and rerolling is making me wonder if i should uninstall before i waste too much time

On a more positive note, if nothing else this looks and plays better than Record Keeper, though I wish this had RK's access to just directly grabbing whatever characters i like instead of praying to gacha gods while crying

RottenK fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 19, 2017

Dockworker
Feb 22, 2011

Just you wait, the union is gonna hear about this.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't forget to run the Ifrit raid as much as you can. Get all the high attack Noctis buddies you can find and use them to clear Pro since you can fire flask to paralyze Ifrit then spend the following turns hitting with Warp Break/Link to debuff Ifrit's defense and then buff your own stats. Those clears with then get you 5.1k (and counting) coins per win which you can spend on the event's special banner and run ADV any time you don't have a whale Noctis friend available. As a result you'll get a ton of Thancreds to smash together for his Trust reward, and you'll get Minfilia before too long. Ideally you'll get Y'shtola as well and she'll cover your healing needs indefinitely as long as you get enough of her event-specific materials (you'll get these before you get her unless you're very lucky). Basically make sure you're running the Ifrit raid if you have orbs to spend because the rewards from doing so will be a huge help to you in the form of an extremely good healer, a solid supporter, and an army of Thancreds to feed to each other for their 10% hp/atk TMRs. :chef:

This is incredibly helpful. Do the "inflict 2 random status ailments" abilities roll only from the list of applicable ailments? (For ifrit, blind and paralyze.)

I hadn't even considered fire flask since ifrit is the fire element esper and all...

I've been having trouble with pro, since my team is level 50-70ish 5 star units with mostly story gear. I take it everyone clearing pro on their own merits has mostly 6 star high level units?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason to hold on to more than one Minfilia? I got lucky and got 5 from my last raid pull, should I just smush them together or is there realistically any reason why I would want more than one around in a party (I'm not sure there's reason for even one)? The only real benefit to her that I see is that she actually seems pretty useful for this boss, an early +70% fire resistance spell seems handy, although I've given up on Elite, my best run ever still got me 40 fewer points than Pro, and I thought I had a pretty good team, although it's certainly not as good as it was 3 months ago before all these 5* bases I'll never pull released.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

RottenK posted:

Is it possible to play this game as a casual peasant who just wants to play a bit and pick characters for their looks or because I like the game they're from instead of stats, or is it one of those games where you either put a lot of effort into grind and minmaxing or you can't do poo poo

I read the OP and the stuff like grinding trust and tier lists and rerolling is making me wonder if i should uninstall before i waste too much time

On a more positive note, if nothing else this looks and plays better than Record Keeper, though I wish this had RK's access to just directly grabbing whatever characters i like instead of praying to gacha gods while crying

Yes and no. If you play your favorite characters all the time, such as Shadow or Sabin, you'll hit a wall on the fourth island when a wind boss forces you into a fight with no friend unit. That said, there might be some of your favorite characters that can carry you, it all depends on who.

Check here for rankings, reviews:
http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Unit_Rankings

You should know after a few weeks whether this game is for you or not. Don't spend a dime in the store unless you decide to stick around.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
RIP me, i have no idea who most of the people on that tier list are and don't care about the ones I do know :v:

uhh well i guess i can hope to get a better Cecil, I don't know who he is but I have a low star one who was my first pull so I'm used to having him around

the halloween dracula could be neat too but there's approximately zero percent chance that I'll be lucky enough to get him

How's Kuja, google tells me that no one likes the poor guy but I put him as my party leader :(

RottenK fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 19, 2017

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

RottenK posted:

RIP me, i have no idea who most of the people on that tier list are and don't care about the ones I do know :v:

uhh well i guess i can hope to get a better Cecil, I don't know who he is but I have a low star one who was my first pull so I'm used to having him around

the halloween dracula could be neat too but there's approximately zero percent chance that I'll be lucky enough to get him

How's Kuja, google tells me that no one likes the poor guy but I put him as my party leader :(

Not just approximately zero, it's actually zero, Since the Halloween units are no longer available in the regular gacha. Also Kuja sucks in the grand scheme of the game, but I used him for a really long time, as I pulled him as a 5* on my initial draw and he could level higher than everyone else. Don't worry about what star level you pull your units at, since you can awaken them as high as they go no matter what level you pull them at. Your little Cecil will eventually grow to be the 6* tanking superstar we all use and love.

Note: If you happen to pull a bunch of mages capable of the same -aga, you'll actually be able to breeze through most of the game using element chaining, including big scary wind boss cartoon man was talking about. I was able to down him pretty quickly with characters not even on that tier list because of element chains.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 19, 2017

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
That's a bit reassuring, I like my very handsome wizard a lot and want to keep him around to make my party beautiful and stylish. The chaining mechanic is neat, kind of assumed that that's what mage endgame will be about when i saw it.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
So it looks like on a average day I'm getting + or - 80k points. To get to the 1.2mil that would require 15 days 80k points.

We don't have that long unless we get to like 300% or something

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
80k a day for the duration is very close to the 1.2 million required to get Y'shtola, unless I've munched my numbers.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

hagie posted:

So it looks like on a average day I'm getting + or - 80k points. To get to the 1.2mil that would require 15 days 80k points.

We don't have that long unless we get to like 300% or something

14 days of 80k will get you to 1.12mil points, just 80k short of the goal. If you're that close, just blow 400-500 laps in refills and get your last bit over the finish line. Besides, the point values of the later days will probably be higher than those of the first 2 days, we're still building levels.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
how's everyone doing for points

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MrLonghair posted:

80k a day for the duration is very close to the 1.2 million required to get Y'shtola, unless I've munched my numbers.

80k a day means you're only going to be clearing pro maybe 15-16 times a day, which is easy to hit.

Also, you're getting 10% of your score as coins to spend on the event banner so in the process of hitting 1.2million points it means the person will have collected 120k coins for 1200 pulls on the banner. :eng101:

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Cry Havoc posted:

I just cracked 200k. My party isn't nearly high enough to do ELT, so I've just been farming PRO, which I also wouldn't normally be able to do if it wasn't for high level goon buddies. I should be able to comfortably get 1.2m within the 2 week window, and maybe even have a shot at the trust moogle.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Cry Havoc posted:

Hair's breath shy of 430,000. 25% of the way towards the Moogle!

Meanwhile, Just Thancred Things:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Finally beat GIlgamesh and got Bushido. Took 3 back to back tries. I hosed myself over twice because I went "Oh, his magic debuff isn't on, better use Full Break!" at 25%HP, completely forgetting electric element, and got Electrocuted.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I'm just above 200k points just grinding Pro over and over again since Elite kicks my teeth in. It's been great for rank grinding at least, don't need to spend energy to run Ifrit and it's free 300 exp per run.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Scrublord Prime posted:

I'm just above 200k points just grinding Pro over and over again since Elite kicks my teeth in. It's been great for rank grinding at least, don't need to spend energy to run Ifrit and it's free 300 exp per run.

307k, but finally hit my stride in reliably completing (or mostly completing) ELT.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Mile'ionaha posted:

307k, but finally hit my stride in reliably completing (or mostly completing) ELT.

I have discovered it's literally impossible for me to beat ELT without a friend Ling. (please put up your Lings, on Ifrit, NOT ODIN for the love of god why)

I'm up to 216k. Wasted a lot of orbs getting stomped. Still really irked about this fight.

Noctis / Lightning / Cecil / CoD / Refia / Friend Ling is my party.

Ling: Daunting Step, Entrust (Cecil)
Cecil: Provoke, Sacred Guard, Focus, off-healer
Refia: Embolden, Dualcast Curaja
CoD: Barfira, Barrage
Noctis: Warp Break, Thunder Flask, Cover, Point-Warp
Lightning: Crushing Blow, normal attacks (for limit crystals)

If nothing goes wrong, he doesn't splat me. I'm wondering if the first 5+ times were literally just bad RNG not applying breaks. That would fit my luck pretty much to a tee. This raid is dumb.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

:woop:

Only 220 pulls into the raid banner, too!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So has anyone else been rolling a bizarre amount of gaffgarions? Or am I just being weirdly lucky on that front. Because I've gotten like six since this banner started.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Do I have a chance to get Thancred or a few if I'm a new player still in chapter 1? I want to rebuild my record keeper boy band. Not that I can, only two of the characters are even in this game right now, but still, gotta start.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

RottenK posted:

Do I have a chance to get Thancred or a few if I'm a new player still in chapter 1? I want to rebuild my record keeper boy band. Not that I can, only two of the characters are even in this game right now, but still, gotta start.

I've smashed at least 20 together so far so I'd say odds are good

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RottenK posted:

Make some goon friends and let them carry you. The first few levels of Ifrit are easily oneshot by most decent goon friend units. From there earn as many points as you can for free rewards and roll on the raid machine for a ton of thancreds and if you're lucky, a really good healer for a brand new player.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Okay boys, Yun is where its at. I just found a fully decked pubbie Yun and 4 rounded level 17 ELT. That's over 1m per round with 2 Yuns chaining Raging Bird.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Vax posted:

Okay boys, Yun is where its at. I just found a fully decked pubbie Yun and 4 rounded level 17 ELT. That's over 1m per round with 2 Yuns chaining Raging Bird.

Chaining being the operative term there, wouldn't get as much mileage if it was only one Yun, so, grats on pulling the time-limited 5*, jerk. :)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think that banner is the single banner we all wish we could go back in time and whale harder on.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dana Crysalis posted:

I have discovered it's literally impossible for me to beat ELT without a friend Ling. (please put up your Lings, on Ifrit, NOT ODIN for the love of god why)

I'm up to 216k. Wasted a lot of orbs getting stomped. Still really irked about this fight.

Noctis / Lightning / Cecil / CoD / Refia / Friend Ling is my party.

Ling: Daunting Step, Entrust (Cecil)
Cecil: Provoke, Sacred Guard, Focus, off-healer
Refia: Embolden, Dualcast Curaja
CoD: Barfira, Barrage
Noctis: Warp Break, Thunder Flask, Cover, Point-Warp
Lightning: Crushing Blow, normal attacks (for limit crystals)

If nothing goes wrong, he doesn't splat me. I'm wondering if the first 5+ times were literally just bad RNG not applying breaks. That would fit my luck pretty much to a tee. This raid is dumb.

How are you equipped? I don't have Noctis but could match that party with a friend Noct, but I'm just not getting any damage out before getting blown away. I think part of problem is I can't beat Gilgamesh so I don't have any way to dispel.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Palleon posted:

How are you equipped? I don't have Noctis but could match that party with a friend Noct, but I'm just not getting any damage out before getting blown away. I think part of problem is I can't beat Gilgamesh so I don't have any way to dispel.

I actually don't dispel, it's too mana intensive and rebuffing is costly.

Noctis: on Ifrit for 50% fireres, has a Ribbon, StQ/Genji Blade
Lightning: 100% dodge, NO fire res (she gets flattened occasionally), Excalibur/Twin Lance (she's my main source of limit crystals)
Cecil: Flame Shield, Flame Mail (100% fire res), Black Belt (for minor free dps and lots of limit), Dualcast
CoD: Rising Sun / Werebuster, Minerva Bustier (80% fire res total)
Refia: Flame Shield, Minerva, Melody of Life, Soul Crown (105% Fire res total), Dualcast

I think that covers the highlights, if you need more I could just screenshot later on.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I gotta step up my TM game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

I think that banner is the single banner we all wish we could go back in time and whale harder on.

No, because it was before the roll fix and even when I did get rainbows on it, they were all Vaan.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
BTW keep your Vaans and Penelos for the FF12 event, they'll be bonus units unless GUMI goes nuts and changes things from JP. Same goes for Gaff & Alma, Kefka & Terra.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Dana Crysalis posted:

If you need another fire resistant Ling, you and any other goon that doesn't have me yet can add me,

204 877 895

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Refia or Luka?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What do you need to make your ling 100% fireproof?

• Locked thread