Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Can someone post the wsj piece? Paywall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Ben Kesling posted:

WASHINGTON—A small group of Marines that contends the official military response to a nude-photo and cyber-harassment scandal has been too slow is pursuing a vigilante-like name-and-shame campaign in hopes of forcing swifter action.

Both active duty and veteran Marines said they have for days been providing names to investigators, or publishing them on the internet, identifying service members allegedly associated with websites that have posted nude photos of female Marines and harassed other service members.

“Marine leadership hasn’t done much of anything the last six years of this,” Marine veteran Shawn Wylde said in an email to The Wall Street Journal.

Marine Commandant Gen. Robert Neller said he first learned of widespread sharing of nude photographs by Marines in January, and then moved to shut down the main site involved and launch an investigation. Since then the Marine Corps and other branches have broadened the investigation and Gen. Neller has testified in front of the Senate Armed Services Committee about the matter, drawing the ire of some lawmakers who said he hasn't done enough to punish wrongdoers or their supervisors.

Mr. Wylde, who has a Facebook page with tens of thousands of followers, has been posting names of people allegedly affiliated with controversial social-media sites, including the group “Marines United,” attracting attention from investigators.

Mr. Wylde said he is acting now because of a March 10 statement of condemnation about the cyber harassment by Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, a retired Marine general.

“Once General Mattis came out the other day against this online harassment we took it as a signal to move forward in exposing these creeps,” he said.

Other social media users have begun to follow his example by posting names and photos of Marines and veterans suspected of involvement in the offending online sites.

Gen. Neller was criticized by senators at a hearing last week for his handling of the situation. But those familiar with the process said Gen. Neller, while angry about the actions of some Marines, also is constrained by military law.

After victims and their allies bypassed the normal military chain of command, the Marine Corps disavowed the effort.

“These actions are an indication that many Marines, former Marines and individuals who respect our organization are incensed by the recent reports of online misconduct and are making individual efforts to accelerate justice,” said Maj. Clark Carpenter, a spokesman for the Marines. “However, we must operate within the boundaries of the law.”

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service has expanded its investigation and is now working with investigators from other military branches, according to MaryAnn Cummings, a spokeswoman for the service.

“We’re receiving tips and we’re aggressively investigating those,” she said, while declining to comment on specifics.

Investigators told reporters in a briefing Friday that they are willing to turn over suspected offenders to civilian law-enforcement authorities for possible criminal prosecution. Marine Corps officials said in the briefing that they will pursue punishment for Marines whose actions may not have broken laws but who may be subject to disciplinary action.

Many of the online sites have innocuous-sounding mission statements, making them appear to provide a digital support community, while in reality they prey on female Marines and others.

Some sites have been around for years, but over time have shifted their aims. Where once someone might have posted a photo of a Marine with a bad haircut, they have become places where public shaming and mockery of young Marines and women has become legion.

Some sites do little to hide their true mission. One boasts at the top of the page that “The Hate Keeps Us Warm” and warns, “If you are easily offended, feel free to move on and go f— yourself.” The administrator of that site didn’t respond to a request for comment.

One victim of such sites, Lance Cpl. Marisa Woytek, has been subject to cyber-harassment and said until recently she and others didn’t think stepping forward would help.

“We were terrified nothing would get done,” said Lance Cpl. Woytek, who said she had photos pulled from her personal social media account and posted to the offending sites. She is scheduled to meet with Gen. Neller in the coming days.

“Now I’m suffering from severe retaliation” from those who run these websites, she said, adding they now are likely to face repercussions for the harassment.

“My goal is to never hurt the reputation of the Marine Corps,” she said, noting that she thinks the commandant is doing his best to understand and deal with the complicated problem. And while she has worked within the bounds of the Marine hierarchy, she said she sees the value in what Mr. Wylde is doing because it is outing the alleged bad actors for military and civilian investigators.

Offending pages that are removed or shut down on social media networks often reappear under a different name, people who track the pages say. Some of the most egregious sites have gone through dozens of incarnations. That makes it difficult for investigators and officers to root out the problem.

Mr. Wylde is himself associated with a Facebook site and webpage that has sometimes crude content.

He also has a checkered past in the Marines, acknowledging he defrauded the Department of Veterans Affairs of some $100,000. The Justice Department said he pleaded guilty in 2013 and was sentenced to four months in prison in 2014, something his adversaries on social media highlight in trying to discredit his efforts.

He agreed to pay back the money, documents show, and said his current campaign is a form of atonement. “I’m partly doing this as a way to make up for my past,” he said.

The public anger playing out on social media resulting from the efforts of Mr. Wylde and others is helping investigators, military officials and others gather evidence as once-anonymous actors are identified, according to people familiar with the matter.

“I think it takes people policing their own,” Mr. Wylde said in an email. “It’s social media, after all.”

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Usually you can google the title, or copy the URL and google it then click the link. Usually lets you view the article.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

lite_sleepr posted:

Getting a DUI is inexcusable. Two? Drunk drivers kill people and ruin families.

There was no one this dude could call?

Yea, there was someone to call. Why would he call? After the first if he drank again (he never got off no-alcohol restriction) there's no reason for him to believe he wouldn't just get charged again, might as well try to make it home and hope his life remains together.

I hate thinking about what happened to him. gently caress. I hate thinking about standing on that loving Colonel's office trying to explain to him that of course he loving drinks you've ruined his entire loving life, how bout sending him to get help and getting "no help, tough it out".

I am glad he never got another person hurt though, that's a miracle.

I just looked up the CO's linkedin profile and it looks like he retired instead of getting his star. gently caress him.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Zeris posted:

Can someone post the wsj piece? Paywall.

You mean you *dont* subscribe to the wsj?

*chortles fancily*

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
gently caress wsj. I had to change my address to that of another poor gently caress with the same name to get rid of it after my subscription trial. Poor bastard probably still gets it.

They will never stop sending you their lovely paper even if you never pay for it.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I'm on my phone and too lazy to do all the dumb steps

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Zeris posted:

I'm on my phone and too lazy to do all the dumb steps

witnessed

hope you have a good day dude, seems like being the mod of this den of retards is taking its toll on you.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Grem posted:

Yea, there was someone to call. Why would he call? After the first if he drank again (he never got off no-alcohol restriction) there's no reason for him to believe he wouldn't just get charged again, might as well try to make it home and hope his life remains together.

I hate thinking about what happened to him. gently caress. I hate thinking about standing on that loving Colonel's office trying to explain to him that of course he loving drinks you've ruined his entire loving life, how bout sending him to get help and getting "no help, tough it out".

I am glad he never got another person hurt though, that's a miracle.

I just looked up the CO's linkedin profile and it looks like he retired instead of getting his star. gently caress him.

I really hate this about your friend :(

I guess there's something about being in the marines that engenders an attitude of fatalism. Being ordered not to drink is pretty stupid and not helpful. Being the marines I can only guess that if he went to the BAS or clinic and said "I'm a self-destructing alcoholic who medicates with booze for PTSD" he'd have been labeled a weak bitch or something else harmful and stupid. I believe at that point it would have been out of his chains command as medical are obligated to take action.

It's only after the tragedy that folks look to what could have been done instead :(

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 18, 2017

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mike-o posted:

witnessed

hope you have a good day dude, seems like being the mod of this den of retards is taking its toll on you.

nowadays just the act of living takes a toll on everyone.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Clearly there loving wasn't with that kind of CO setting command climate.

A toxic command climate really does make people want to kill themselves, I don't know if this can be stressed heavy enough or the right people killed hard enough. One of the legacies of an amazingly lovely officer I had to work under but who got transferred off a line unit before the war started was a piece of poo poo who learned all the wrong things from him and caused a friendly fire incident, tried to cover it up, refused to take any responsibility then held a formation demanding we not talk about it to anyone like NCIS, and got sped to the rear before we could do anything to him.

Oh and dudes having legit PTSD problems less than a month back in August or September of 2003 being called malingerers, so the fallout from that was fun to deal with. Fourteen years and there are days where it takes a tremendous amount of effort not to just say gently caress it, empty the bank account and hunt him down. Fortunately I'm usually broke.

Was talking to someone from the old unit a week ago after another guy was suicidal, so that's all been coming back. Not even sure if I should have posted this but I'm angry as gently caress again and that's at least an emotion.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If it makes you feel better I'm listening/reading.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Steezo posted:

A toxic command climate really does make people want to kill themselves, I don't know if this can be stressed heavy enough or the right people killed hard enough. One of the legacies of an amazingly lovely officer I had to work under but who got transferred off a line unit before the war started was a piece of poo poo who learned all the wrong things from him and caused a friendly fire incident, tried to cover it up, refused to take any responsibility then held a formation demanding we not talk about it to anyone like NCIS, and got sped to the rear before we could do anything to him.

Oh and dudes having legit PTSD problems less than a month back in August or September of 2003 being called malingerers, so the fallout from that was fun to deal with. Fourteen years and there are days where it takes a tremendous amount of effort not to just say gently caress it, empty the bank account and hunt him down. Fortunately I'm usually broke.

Was talking to someone from the old unit a week ago after another guy was suicidal, so that's all been coming back. Not even sure if I should have posted this but I'm angry as gently caress again and that's at least an emotion.

a mandatory command picnic on the weekend and mandatory command PT will fix that camaraderie right up

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The sad part is that ultimately its not fixable since it'd require admitting that the military isn't actually full of the greatest people ever to live and leadership is in fact a giant cesspool of poo poo. The first important person to say this is going to get beaten to death by an angry mob of "WHY DO YOU HATE ARE TROOPS"

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The sad part is that ultimately its not fixable since it'd require admitting that the military isn't actually full of the greatest people ever to live and leadership is in fact a giant cesspool of poo poo. The first important person to say this is going to get beaten to death by an angry mob of "WHY DO YOU HATE ARE TROOPS"

I'm holding out hope for Mattis

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Mike-o posted:

witnessed

I'm finishing my thesis and it feels like my insides are being eaten alive by the stress. gently caress.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
stay safe mfa ghost

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Let's make this day even worse.

Chuck Berry has passed away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFo8-JqzSCM

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Saw him before I deployed a few years back, figured I should do it once before it was too late.
Glad I did.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stultus Maximus posted:

Saw him before I deployed a few years back, figured I should do it once before it was too late.
Glad I did.

That's generally the perspective I take when I go to concerts. It's the reason I saw the Police at bonnaroo a decade ago, and John Paul Jones. I might not always like all of what I hear, but I might not have the chance again. Not sure at this point who I caught before they died, besides Whitney Houston. There's almost certainly more. Gordon Lightfoot is still alive, if he ever plays around Denver I'm getting tickets.

Never saw Chuck Berry though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

That's generally the perspective I take when I go to concerts. It's the reason I saw the Police at bonnaroo a decade ago, and John Paul Jones. I might not always like all of what I hear, but I might not have the chance again. Not sure at this point who I caught before they died, besides Whitney Houston. There's almost certainly more. Gordon Lightfoot is still alive, if he ever plays around Denver I'm getting tickets.

Never saw Chuck Berry though.

This was more or less my experience:
https://twitter.com/Ben_Fred/status/843232071015436289

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Going from a hand me down vacuum to a brand new vacuum makes me feel like a dirty motherfucker. I just vacuumed Tuesday with the old one and again today with the new one and you wouldn't think I've vacuumed at all in the year and a half I've lived here with the amount of poo poo the new one picked up.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
My dad has his mothers Kirby. It still runs, and it only needs some routine servicing.

I want it :x

I bet it would pull the tacks up from this lovely base housing carpet.

e: I think I want to go get some beers to get buzzed on. What do I get.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 19, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

My dad has his mothers Kirby. It still runs, and it only needs some routine servicing.

I want it :x

I bet it would pull the tacks up from this lovely base housing carpet.

e: I think I want to go get some beers to get buzzed on. What do I get.

30 pack of tecate

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
This is Del Rio...

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
is that suppose to mean something?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Yea that this is Del Rio, Texas. 4 miles from the border of Mexico, so Tecate is abundant.

Abundant

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
so finding a 30 rack should be p easy

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
My wife wouldn't want to live in a world without David Bowie and Chuck Berry anyway.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They didn't want to live in a world without her :unsmith:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Anybody use sling.tv? Hulu is running dry on watchable material for me and I think I'm done with netflix aside from a spattering of things that are probably on amazon anyhow. I figure for $20/mo, it's a fair price for 30 channels, some of which I miss from the last time I had any form of cable, and cost comparable to hulu/netflix combined.

Just curious if there's service issues or any hitches that might annoy the gently caress out of me later.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

if its an option check out PS Vue, i was happy with it when i used it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I have an xbox one. :(

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i think they offer it on fire stick and roku too?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Neither of which I have.

I use the xbox for everything besides antenna tv, and if they went through with their plans to make an antenna adapter for broadcast dvr, I'd probably buy it. That died a year or two ago though.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

My girlfriend was telling me earlier tonight that she used to have a sling and she doesn't have one now. I forgot why she said she didn't like it because if you listen to your significant other you are a baby back bitch.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

At the Bataan Memorial Death March. I swore I would never do it again, but here I am. RIP knees and feet.

If I never post again, someone please shitpost on my behalf.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Arc Light posted:

If I never post again, someone please shitpost on my behalf.

I will take up the mantle.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Anybody use sling.tv? Hulu is running dry on watchable material for me and I think I'm done with netflix aside from a spattering of things that are probably on amazon anyhow. I figure for $20/mo, it's a fair price for 30 channels, some of which I miss from the last time I had any form of cable, and cost comparable to hulu/netflix combined.

Just curious if there's service issues or any hitches that might annoy the gently caress out of me later.

Its fine as long as the channel you are watching is not currently in high demand. Trying to watch football was hopeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

lite_sleepr posted:

Yea that this is Del Rio, Texas. 4 miles from the border of Mexico, so Tecate is abundant.

Abundant

One of the things I've been impressed with living so close to Mexico is how good mexican beer can be. Even their garbage swill is better than anything here in the states aside from MAYBE Highlife. Montejo, Modelo and Noche Buena are all pretty solid cheap poo poo

• Locked thread