Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
First competitive match! Lost 5-0. Played mostly at rightback (a little near the start as leftback which felt a lot less comfortable), my first and hopefully last experience with a weird artificial pitch. We tired late on in the match, their left winger was extremely fast, I'm... kind of not extremely fast, our right winger during the late stages was a lazy oval office and the only person on the entire pitch not putting a shift in (either in defence or attack) so I got overrun by multiple guys and murdered repeatedly. I really need to learn to just foul people.

Was still a great experience! And we were missing a few of our really good defenders, so hopefully we'll be crushed less when the season proper starts in two weeks (this was just some kind of pre-season friendly tournament... thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Arquebus posted:

First competitive match! Lost 5-0. Played mostly at rightback (a little near the start as leftback which felt a lot less comfortable), my first and hopefully last experience with a weird artificial pitch. We tired late on in the match, their left winger was extremely fast, I'm... kind of not extremely fast, our right winger during the late stages was a lazy oval office and the only person on the entire pitch not putting a shift in (either in defence or attack) so I got overrun by multiple guys and murdered repeatedly. I really need to learn to just foul people.

Was still a great experience! And we were missing a few of our really good defenders, so hopefully we'll be crushed less when the season proper starts in two weeks (this was just some kind of pre-season friendly tournament... thing).

Best way to foul opposing wingers quicker than you is to guess which way they're going to go and try block their run when you turn. You can get away with it half the time and it's unlikely going to result in a yellow card.

Failing that give him a Ben Thatcher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v0CdBqUmNA

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
As a variation on that theme, one shameful old man tactic I have adapted against very quick players in space is to invite the nutmeg, and as they put it through my legs turn around and treat that ball as mine/shield it.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

If you're not fast, best thing you can do is learn to use your body. You can deal with not being able to catch a speedy winger if you're too fat to get around in the first place.

I've been on crutches over the last couple of days since playing the first game of our new season on Wednesday, won the ball in a tackle and went to dribble it out of defense when my knee collapsed beneath me like a coke can and I in turn collapsed onto the ground in agony. Haven't been able to straighten my leg since and have only been able to put weight on it today. Just hoping I haven't hosed the ligaments again

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
found out the manager invited his friend (that i know) to join the team. he just started playing soccer a couple months ago and has only played indoor so far.

we're already the worst team in the league so poo poo like this gets frustrating :guinness:

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Ewar Woowar posted:

.. . .. If you don't enjoy muscling some little punks off the ball and them whinging to the ref about you being a oval office then you don't know what you're missing.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Bio-Hazard posted:

.. .. ... you don't need a huge amount of technical ability to play as a defender.
Ahem!

Bio-Hazard posted:

I don't have to be bigger, I'm just faster and think a little quicker. Also dirty as gently caress.
True Dat.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Bogan Krkic posted:

If you're not fast, best thing you can do is learn to get quick .... .... FTFY

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fat jammy cunts and goalkeepers. TRP players thread.

You guys make me sad.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What the gently caress are these ellipses things you're doing

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What the gently caress are these ellipses things you're doing

Intrigued are you?

The ellipses indicate other words in the quoted post that don't feature in my smart-rear end retorts.

Apologies all around for trying to inject a bit 'o class in a footy thread.
As penance, in future I'll mis-speel mor wurds and gently caress-up the quote thingie.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Nucken Futz posted:

Intrigued are you?

The ellipses indicate other words in the quoted post that don't feature in my smart-rear end retorts.

Apologies all around for trying to inject a bit 'o class in a footy thread.
As penance, in future I'll mis-speel mor wurds and gently caress-up the quote thingie.

Don't let them get to you.

I've moved from 5aside with bullshit rules like throw ins and unlimited passbacks and no over head height to the old one where the pitch is half the size and there's a wall and I scored my first hat-trick in months. Way more fun.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Walled indoor is great, and after playing years and years I haven't seen but a couple of the wall-related injuries that people always fret about. Your mileage may vary.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Tongues posted:

And playing in defence is loving ace if you've got a keeper and centrebacks who are good at organization. I mean no one watches matches to see defenders play but jesus it is fun to shut down prima donna strikers as a unit

This is why I loved playing defense. Being able to be the big guy in the box and jump up and knock people around too is a big thrill. Especially when people try to out muscle you and just bounce the gently caress off.

I really wish I could play again.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Shrapnig posted:

Fat jammy cunts and goalkeepers. TRP players thread.

You guys make me sad.
Can we at least agree the divers are the worst.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

pangstrom posted:

Walled indoor is great, and after playing years and years I haven't seen but a couple of the wall-related injuries that people always fret about. Your mileage may vary.

You know what's better than walled indoor? Walled outdoor!

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Breath Ray posted:

You know what's better than walled indoor? Walled outdoor!

Dude, you're almost there!!!

Outdoors with no walls.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i play on a 7v7 outdoor league with a shortened field. anytime the ball goes out, it's at least 2-3 minutes off the clock and destroys the pace of the game. it drives me nuts

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Yeah you get a lot more of the ball with walls. Sounds obvious but in half an hour you get a lot more playing time than with 11 a side. If anyone is looking for a computer game analogy to help them understand I would say it's the Arcade mode of football.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Although if you're older less fit like me you'll grow to love the breaks in play afforded you by outdoor 11-a-side

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Actually futsal is the best

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

iajanus posted:

Although if you're older less fit like me you'll grow to love the breaks in play afforded you by outdoor 11-a-side
The walled indoor leagues I played in were sub-on-fly (like hockey). I think the games where we played with zero subs took years off my life.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Same but actually if it doesn't kill you high intensity interval training is good for you.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

pangstrom posted:

The walled indoor leagues I played in were sub-on-fly (like hockey). I think the games where we played with zero subs took years off my life.

I did this the day after moving to Denver from sea level. That was not my best idea.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

I did this the day after moving to Denver from sea level. That was not my best idea.

I like the people dying at the Pikes Peak summit.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I've scored two hat tricks (and another two including a nice free kick off a lay-off last week) in this 30+ shite indoor turf league I joined a couple months ago. There's a good mix of solid players and our team is in the upper middle of the 6 since last session. There's a couple spicy vets and I'm just getting set up to crush the ball. Being 30+ :feelsgood:

For now.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

iajanus posted:

gently caress, Yeah!

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
Indoor on turf is the best for conditioning unless you're old like me.

I fuckin' Hate turf.

My achilles has been wrecked since mid-January all due to scrimmaging on a god-damned state-of-the-loving-art turf field.

It took 'till last week before I could run at more than half-speed, then last Thursday something went POP.

I fuckin' Hate turf fields.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
turf = injuries

I refuse to play on it anymore

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Huskalator posted:

turf = injuries

Luckily for me our home ground is turf! Fortunately I think I've got enough scar tissue holding the ligaments together I should be fine unless I have to make a single turn in any direction.

First match of the new season tonight :ohdear:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Huskalator posted:

turf = injuries

This. I also used to throw my body into stuff so landing at speed on anything like a shoulder or knee with those goddamn rubber pellets suck dick. The rooster tails look cool but gently caress does it suck for everything else.

Grass is best, always.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Our first two real games of the year (a cup game and a league game) have been called off for rain so I'm going to take the opportunity and get laser eye surgery this week so I can miss a minimal amount of games.

I'll be able to see the ball! What an age we live in!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I loved indoor and futsal but after snapping my Achilles playing and then doing my MCL a couple of years later (in the same league and on the same part of the pitch no less) I had to give it up. It's just too hard on my joints after playing for so long (I'm now 36). Definitely miss it though.

Finally started playing with the older lads now and joined an over 35 side. It's pretty fun as there are some great players that have absolutely no running. Means that when you get done it's down to skill rather than athleticism. Still though, as I just qualify for the side I'm one of the quickest. Because of that I'm back playing where I started off when I was young and am playing left wing. Had an interesting career LW/RW->CM->ST->CB->LW

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Become a keeper and your journey towards the dark side will be complete.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

pangstrom posted:

Become a keeper and your journey towards the dark side will be complete.

I actually filled in for a mate's team in goal and it was pretty fun. It's hard to train yourself out of using your feet to make saves though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Diving on turf is awful, I bruised my ribs once on a 3G turf pitch and also my hips feel bad from diving on turf.

I am not a fan, you def need good padded trousers playing in goal on turf.

Grass only for me now please

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I always wear padded keeping pants, no matter the surface. I bruise like a peach so anything that can help avoid that is to be grasped at.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
But grass IS turf

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Give me a smooth field turf pitch over bobbly natural grass every day, thanks.

My knees are totally hosed and I'd much rather play on artificial turf rather than poo poo natural grass fields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Shrapnig posted:

Give me a smooth field turf pitch over bobbly natural grass every day, thanks.

My knees are totally hosed and I'd much rather play on artificial turf rather than poo poo natural grass fields.

In my old age I feel this way as well. Anything without massive divots and dried out patches of concrete dirt is fine with me.