Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Wirth1000 posted:

You know what? I'm loving amazed that Bernie is 86 years old and that nimble. Like, wow. Good for you, man.

Hail Satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Wirth1000 posted:

It's going to be fun watching the rookies all suffer this season as F1 cars go back to being F1 cars in terms of gs pulled and speed and not just a slightly faster version of the F3/GP3 cars they all were poodling around in hence how quickly rookies acclimatized during the past horrid formula.
It's going to be hard for Our Nando this year, having driven a GP2 car for two years

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
But that's ok, MCLRN have downgraded to GP3

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The car will just rattle apart on the grid so we will have no formula to compare its pace to. Sorry guys

Norns fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 19, 2017

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Mclaren is bad

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

The car will just rattle apart on the grid so we will have no formula to compare its pace to. Sorry guys

Formula Parkinson's

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

Formula Parkinson's

:lol:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's going to be hard for Our Nando this year, having driven a GP2 car for two years

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Formula Parkinson's

loving :lol:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
OP for the new season's thread (is someone making that btw?) should really have some reference to Bernie out Brawn in right at the top of the page for those who only join us for the race weekend.

Lol https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ecclestone-liberty-wants-to-get-rid-of-my-history-883920/

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
“I was a little disappointed because I was asked before they took over, would I stay here for three years if they took over - and I said, provided I was fit and competent, yes, I would."

He's not got the hint yet has he?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

OP for the new season's thread (is someone making that btw?) should really have some reference to Bernie out Brawn in right at the top of the page for those who only join us for the race weekend.

Lol https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ecclestone-liberty-wants-to-get-rid-of-my-history-883920/

quote:

Bernie Ecclestone says Formula 1's new owner Liberty Media is making an effort to "move on" from the days when he was ruining the sport.

ftfy

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

Ecclestone said Liberty would be looking to introduce a different philosophy to F1, by making the sport less exclusive.

"I look at it in a different way to other people," he said. "Everyone wants to go to a restaurant where you can't get a seat. So I was very strict with things like paddock passes. Liberty's philosophy is more open.

"They have an American culture and at an American race everyone is in the paddock and the pits and they can chat with the drivers and sit in their cars.

"In F1, we have been running a five-star Michelin restaurant, not a hamburger joint. But maybe now the cuisine will be more accessible. Maybe it will even have a better taste."

See, I'm going to be serious for a second. This elitism literally appeals to me when it comes to F1. It's not some redneck moonshine swilling incestual lock 'er up'n'build dat dern wall fuckfest that is NASCAR. The elitism is what gives that image of F1 being the absolute top tier of motorsport to the general public when it comes to its brand.

It's a matter of waiting to see just how far Liberty goes but at least they did mention that the core European races are critical to the heart of F1 a few days ago. But, for fucks sake, it's literally an organization called 'Liberty'.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I would generally agree that the appeal of F1 is the world's fastest cars with the world's best drivers.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

The problem with trading on this sort of elite high class society image is that it's very easy for that kind of thing to turn into kitsch. I get why Liberty would want to move away from that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I would generally agree that the appeal of F1 is the world's fastest cars with the world's best drivers.

Yeah, or worse, a jerk-off session for oil barons.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bernie posted:

Everyone wants to go to a restaurant where you can't get a seat.
Ironically, from the man who in his own approved biography said he'd rather eat beans on toast in his kitchen than go out to some fancy restaurant.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wirth1000 posted:

See, I'm going to be serious for a second. This elitism literally appeals to me when it comes to F1. It's not some redneck moonshine swilling incestual lock 'er up'n'build dat dern wall fuckfest that is NASCAR. The elitism is what gives that image of F1 being the absolute top tier of motorsport to the general public when it comes to its brand.

It's a matter of waiting to see just how far Liberty goes but at least they did mention that the core European races are critical to the heart of F1 a few days ago. But, for fucks sake, it's literally an organization called 'Liberty'.

NASCAR makes bank. It's a dogshit racing series not because it's folksy, but because it's a dogshit racing series. Making F1 more accessible is exactly what it needs - as long as they don't start oval racing and dumbing it down to appeal to the lowest common denominator it will continue to be the pinnacle of motorsport.

What makes F1 elite is that it is the best engineers, the best drivers, the best minds and the best circuits. Being a loving shitlord about doling paddock club passes out to your rich rear end in a top hat friends is a beautiful explanation of why Bernie had to go.

The bottom line is exactly that. F1 needs eyeballs to generate revenue. Revenue attracts sponsors. It attracts teams. It attracts attention. The idea that being popular makes the sport crap is the exact kind of dipshit hipster bullshit logic that needs to do a Bernie and piss off. We have 20 goddamn cars on the grid - 20 years ago we had almost 30. Whether you admit it or not F1 is in a dire state of affairs as of the end of Bernie's reign.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

I kind of agree, but nothing about my perception of F1 as an "elite" sport is derived from them declining to accept money in exchange for people being physically closer to the teams. Bernie's comparison there is idiotic. Michelin starred restaurants can charge a lot of money and be booked to capacity every night. F1 is just leaving money on the table.

And arguably the most "elite" thing you can do is take money from average folks and spend it on dumb poo poo, like race cars.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The elite inbreed as much as hillbillies, anyway.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

quote:

As part of Liberty’s F1 takeover, Ecclestone was given the title of chairman emeritus, with Chase Carey moving into his previous position as CEO.

While that reshuffle nominally keeps Ecclestone as part of the F1 family, he says he no longer has any influence on the way F1 is run.

“I can’t do anything,” Eccelstone said in an interview with the Mail on Sunday. “Even the staff have been told they shouldn’t talk to me."

“So I was a bit surprised the day after they completed the deal that I was asked to stand down because Chase wanted to be chief executive."

Liberty are a criminal organization who have swindled our Bernie and stolen our F1. They are the business equivalent of the scammers who cold-call old people claiming to be long-lost relatives who need money. "Hey Grandpa, it's me your Grandson Liberty I love what you're doing with F1, just sign this contract and I'll help you out running it". And then you show up Monday morning and they've changed the locks. It sure would be nice if the EU used some of the NHS money we send to their court system to do something about it, but I guess they prefer to spend it making sure that Lewis never wins another WDC

poty fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 19, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Alain Post posted:

Yeah, or worse, a jerk-off session for oil barons.

Isn't this just literally everything anyway?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

The elite inbreed as much as hillbillies, anyway.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The "best circuits" thing is also becoming increasingly suspect.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

What tracks do you want to see?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like them to drop rounds actually.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Human Grand Prix posted:

Bernie believes in the free market. The best circuits should be the most successful and be able to afford the greatest fees. You'd think a company called Liberty wouldn't have such a big problem with that...

poty fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 20, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

F1 popup channel does work on Foxtel Go. 2011 Season review currently on. I'd forgotten how different some of the cars were that year. McLaren's unusual sidepods and Renault's Octo-exhaust that year.

Edit; kind of surreal how many names I'm hearing that aren't in F1 anymore:

Kobayashi
Schumacher
Petrov
Sutil
Button (:smith:)
Senna
Maldonado
Trulli
Barrichello
Webber
Algesuari
Buemi

and those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 19, 2017

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'd like them to drop rounds actually.

16 rounds is the ideal amount. The past 2-3 years it's felt like a bit of a chore getting through the last quarter of a season.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
To fellow Britspersons, I realised earlier I had no idea which races were being shown live on poverty TV so here - http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/formula1-on-c4-is-back-for-the-2017-fia-formula-one-world-championship

Bahrain –16th April
Russia –30th April
Monaco –28th May
Azerbaijan – 25th June
Great Britain –16th July
Belgium – 27th August
Singapore – 17th September
Malaysia – 1st October
USA – 22nd October
Abu Dhabi – 26th November

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
They need to get rid of China, Bahrain, Russia and Azerbaijan.

Bring back the German, French, Portuguese and Dutch races.

drat, put me in charge, Liberty.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Norns posted:

As someone who does a lot of sim racing in socks. This made me laugh.

http://www.apexoff.com/2017/03/18/sebastian-vettel-wear-socks-f1-races-season/

How are these fireproof?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

blunt posted:

How are these fireproof?
1) Why does it matter? Brake pedals don't catch on fire.
2) Their race suits are fire-resistant. Surely their socks can be the same.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

blunt posted:

How are these fireproof?

From the article:
"The idea was to make the lightest shoe, so we knitted an upper in one piece made of Nomex."

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Norns posted:

What tracks do you want to see?

Charade :unsmigghh:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

1500quidporsche posted:

16 rounds is the ideal amount. The past 2-3 years it's felt like a bit of a chore getting through the last quarter of a season.

I'd love to see more tracks than their are races in a season/year, so racetracks change seasons.

Eg: Brazil is spring one year, summer the next year, fall the year after, then one year break (winter), then spring again.

This doesn't work for all tracks (Montreal) and you might get some races you have to hold at specific times (Monaco), so it's not perfect, but it would allow a bunch of tracks that have had difficulty filling the stands more time to market themselves (and more time for people to save). Pretty much every team said that 2016 was the max number of races they could hold in a season without adding a whole second pit crew to carry the load, which would be very difficult for the smaller teams.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bring back the nordschleife

imagine verstappen on the nordschleife in the pouring rain.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

wicka posted:

I kind of agree, but nothing about my perception of F1 as an "elite" sport is derived from them declining to accept money in exchange for people being physically closer to the teams. Bernie's comparison there is idiotic. Michelin starred restaurants can charge a lot of money and be booked to capacity every night. F1 is just leaving money on the table.

And arguably the most "elite" thing you can do is take money from average folks and spend it on dumb poo poo, like race cars.

They really are. There are A LOT of people who would pay a nice chunk of change for paddock passes and they would still be exclusive as hell. It was goddamn ridiculously difficult to get one before and it still will be I'm sure.

Up until 2013 my uncle worked as a senior executive for NintendoShell Oil and one of the perks of his job was access to Ferrari's F1 team for a good portion of his 30 year tenure there. When F1 came to Austin for the first time in 2012, I had this stupid idea that he might be able to get us some passes. Nope. He was given enough passes for him and his immediate family and that was it.

I thought it was really strange at the time because I knew very little about F1. It became even more confusing when he invited us to his house after the race on Sunday along with what must have been the entire Ferrari team--even Massa and Alonso were there. Like, if this guy can't get a couple of extra paddock passes, what loving chance does anyone else have? I asked him about it a couple of years later and he pretty much confirmed how stingy they were with those passes, but then he gave a wry smile and said "...but check out what you get from Ferrari when you cut them a check for $30 million." It was Alonso's helmet (signed of course) from the race. :allears:

So what I"m saying is Liberty has a lot of latitude between what existed under Bernie and NASCAR--it'll still be super loving exclusive, maybe just not impossibly so.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Rich people just want exclusive areas the poors can't get in. (See also; Monaco) Give them the corporate boxes along the pit lane and the paddock club. Run events/talks and serve the prawn cocktail sandwiches for them in there before the race while the pit lane is open to the public, and they can look down and say aren't we lucky to be in here and not out there, look Joffrey that man has face paint on haw haw haw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Looks like the weather is going to be nice for the race weekend, mid 20s at the moment.

• Locked thread