Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

facialimpediment posted:

Just remember, Donnie is really, really unpopular.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/843507898860888065

It took 3 years of war in Iraq, 5 years of war in Afghanistan, and gas prices approaching $3/gal for GWB to hit this level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Godholio posted:

It took 3 years of war in Iraq, 5 years of war in Afghanistan, and gas prices approaching $3/gal for GWB to hit this level.

If this keeps up, the only way the Democrats can lose in 2020 is if they run Clinton again.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

As we saw from the previous 8 years, Democrats winning the White House is basically an attempt at damage control. They need seats in Congress to be relevant.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

As we saw from the previous 8 years, Democrats winning the White House is basically an attempt at damage control. They need seats in Congress to be relevant.

Not to mention state houses.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

BigDave posted:

If this keeps up, the only way the Democrats can lose in 2020 is if they run Clinton again.

The Democrats will find new and exciting ways to gently caress up even without poo poo like swiftboating

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

The Democrats will find new and exciting ways to gently caress up even without poo poo like swiftboating

Zuck.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, this is going to happen no loving doubt :lol:

Not being sarcastic.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I loving hope not. The pod saves America guys were kind of supporting him a bit and it made me feel gross.

Like the last thing we need is someone who is in control of a major information source that is not shy about playing games with what it shows to run for president.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

I think he'll certainly try to run, but I can't possibly imagine any demographic he'd actually appeal to, especially in the primary.

If the Democrats do end up going with an inexplicable celebrity candidate, my money's on Oprah.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

BigDave posted:

Oh my loving god I hope they staple a blue tie to the collar of a golden retriever and run it for president and promise us an invisible ghost as VP, anything at all please

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/843536820503826434

edit: people are getting stupider all the time

https://twitter.com/YahooSports/status/843319793000181760

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 19, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Romneys dog 2020

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/842640421977280512

Proposed to downgrade it to a misdemeanor

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If anyone needs a distraction from US politics here's a long tale about how dysfunctional china can be:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/Murder_lucky_hotel

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Shaq stuff is mostly piggybacking off the Kyrie Irvin flat earth troll thing. Don't put much into it.

But, put some stuff into this! Donnie's basically filling his agencies with political spies because he doesn't trust the cabinet heads enough.

https://twitter.com/edatpost/status/843602638872743937

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

The Shaq stuff is mostly piggybacking off the Kyrie Irvin flat earth troll thing. Don't put much into it.

But, put some stuff into this! Donnie's basically filling his agencies with political spies because he doesn't trust the cabinet heads enough.

well that doesn't scream paranoid dictator at all

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The commissars are in town now it seems

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

I take minor pleasure in seeing Pruitt getting singled out for badgering, but that's about it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

lol. Let's appoint people who don't understand the core missions of their agencies but will totally rat out Trump's cabinet if they deviate from what these assholes perceive as the core missions of their agencies.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/why-are-educators-learning-how-to-interrogate-their-students

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

That's messed up. The Reid Technique is for getting confessions and only confessions.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/SpeakerRyan/status/843574479926247424

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

hahahahahaha

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

wasnt this something states could do without federal approval anyway?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The best part about this is that unemployment is insurance paid for by the beneficiaries. It's like if they required a drug test to get auto insurance benefits.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I want to say Florida started that ball rolling a decade-ish ago when reptilian space Governor Rick Scott took seat and weaseled a clause in about drug testing for unemployment bennies. Not a huge surprise since he formerly was on the board of LabCorp or some other similar company that makes tons of money on little bottles of piss. Want to say that lasted a while, but was eventually struck down by a court.

Or maybe I was just really high at the time and I'm completely misremembering it. Usually the case.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

lol. Let's appoint people who don't understand the core missions of their agencies but will totally rat out Trump's cabinet if they deviate from what these assholes perceive as the core missions of their agencies.

Rick loving Perry.

Edit: Pretty sure every state that's tried a full-scale drug testing for bennies program has found it to be completely ineffective and a huge waste of funding.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 20, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Long time conservative dream finally achieved. But has there been a single state where this is already a thing, where the money saved outweighs the cost to implement the program? Guess it doesn't matter though so long as it lets them continue to perceive all poors and minorities as lazy addicts and welfare queens.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

But I am already drug tested fairly frequently???

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
President of Uber just quit and blasted the company.

https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/843607145589493760

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/03/27/the-reclusive-hedge-fund-tycoon-behind-the-trump-presidency/amp

model trains: check

horse chicks: check

trump as retard clown being steered by retard billionaires and nazis: check

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Why not do this for all federal assistance, starting with those who get the most? I bet a lot of people who take the mortgage interest deduction will get hit before we get to unemployment benefits or welfare. Surely there's nothing underhanded about only applying these conditions to recipients who are likely to be poor.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

FastestGunAlive posted:

Long time conservative dream finally achieved. But has there been a single state where this is already a thing, where the money saved outweighs the cost to implement the program? Guess it doesn't matter though so long as it lets them continue to perceive all poors and minorities as lazy addicts and welfare queens.

It's more about funneling state money to drug testing corporations than it is about preventing crack addicts from getting money.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Yeah the states that have used it have found that something like 95% of the people pass the drug test, 4% just don't take it for one reason or another, and 1% fail it and the vast majority of those failed drug tests are due to marijuana because opiates, cocaine, meth, etc. are all in your system for only a week at most.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
And none of them give a gently caress if you're using your unemployment to go buy handles of Popov vodka.

And for some reason we still don't drug test elected officials.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

So. If someone gets fired for a substance abuse problem, they no longer have the means to support themselves while they enter rehab. So they get another job, repeat until you can't find another or death.

If i am interpreting this correctly, this will literally kill people and make children go hungry.

Since its up to the state, the pain will be concentrated in the red rural areas of trump county. The opioid crises is particularly bad in parts of trump county (plus the northeast). Alabama had more opioid prescriptions written in it than people in 2012. Something like 20% of all people on an opioid prescription >10 days will become addicted.

Unemployment means that you had a job and are (nominally at least) looking to find another. It's like $1600 a month for a year and has been proven as one of the best ways to stimulate the economy. These people aren't freeloaders

There was a huge talk last year about republicans addressing the opioid crises in America and this is honestly one of the worst things I can think of doing to people who can still be saved.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Sacrist65 posted:

So. If someone gets fired for a substance abuse problem, they no longer have the means to support themselves while they enter rehab. So they get another job, repeat until you can't find another or death.

If i am interpreting this correctly, this will literally kill people and make children go hungry.

Since its up to the state, the pain will be concentrated in the red rural areas of trump county. The opioid crises is particularly bad in parts of trump county (plus the northeast). Alabama had more opioid prescriptions written in it than people in 2012. Something like 20% of all people on an opioid prescription >10 days will become addicted.

Unemployment means that you had a job and are (nominally at least) looking to find another. It's like $1600 a month for a year and has been proven as one of the best ways to stimulate the economy. These people aren't freeloaders

There was a huge talk last year about republicans addressing the opioid crises in America and this is honestly one of the worst things I can think of doing to people who can still be saved.

just do hard drugs like coke that gets out of your system faster or smash natty ice all day like god intended

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Iirc Florida actually did this and the number of recipients actually popping hot were so low it was deemed a huge waste of money and resources.

Like somewhere in the high 90s was clean. So the amount saved was nowhere near the amount it cost to test everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Don't the republican proposals disproportionately affect red counties and red states? A lot of suffering which is regretful, but a lot of schadenfreude as well.

• Locked thread