Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
[[ Please wait, retrieving information... ]]

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't think that's true either, since one of the issues with taking kickers is that there are a lot of good ones available every year as cheap free agents.

No there isn't. Kicker is almost as bad as QB when it comes to quality at the position.

korrandark fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Edit not quote.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

korrandark posted:

No there isn't. Kicker is almost as bad as QB when it comes to quality at the position.

Kickers do not absolutely kill teams though, so even if we accept this (and I do not) it becomes much less worthwhile to spend a draft pick on one.

I'm sure Minnesota fans and maybe old Bills fans will tell me they kill seasons and I'll tell them to gently caress off, because it happened to me too and the problem was the actual football players didn't do their jobs.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

Kickers do not absolutely kill teams though, so even if we accept this (and I do not) it becomes much less worthwhile to spend a draft pick on one.

I'm sure Minnesota fans and maybe old Bills fans will tell me they kill seasons and I'll tell them to gently caress off, because it happened to me too and the problem was the actual football players didn't do their jobs.

Counterpoint: The Bengals last year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

korrandark posted:

[[ Please wait, retrieving information... ]]

Even if this were true (it isn't) it wouldn't follow that you should try to find a kicker in the draft, since that would require that NFL front offices were adept at scouting them, and they aren't. Kickers are cheap to sign and hard to scout, which means sorting through the pile until you find one that sticks is the exact right approach.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Volkerball posted:

If you try to kick a 74 yard field goal and don't even consider that hey, maybe this might not make the distance and they'll try to return it, it's not the kickers fault.

of course not

it's the refs because had they reviewed it properly they would have seen that guy step on the white line during the return

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Considering how inconsistent all kickers, including the best of the best, were last year with elongated extra point, there is a strong argument in the minimal value provided by kickers in today's NFL. Why wasting limited resources on a kicker when even the absolute elite in the game today are shanking kicks? Spend the time and money on other aspects of the team so that you never are in a position to depend on the kicker in the first place.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

korrandark posted:

Counterpoint: The Bengals last year.

Nugent was 48/49 on extra points the previous year.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I mean if the point was that kickers can kill a season he absolutely did more than his share. As did Fat Randy. but that doesn't make me feel like drafting a kicker high is good

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Cavauro posted:

I mean if the point was that kickers can kill a season he absolutely did more than his share. As did Fat Randy. but that doesn't make me feel like drafting a kicker high is good

I never said anything about drafting a kicker. My point was that it was bullshit that there are a bunch of good kickers just waiting to get snapped up.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

big money big clit posted:

Nugent was 48/49 on extra points the previous year.

Yeah, kickers have a huge variance year to year, and the generic kickers you can find have such a relatively high floor. Kickers do provide a bit more value when it comes to touchbacks, but that value has been eroded by rule changes.

There is something to be said about the best kickers allowing you to try longer FG's, but I don't think that matters that much and might even be a negative reinforcement since you should pretty much never gameplan around trying a 45+ yard FG.

That said, each year there's 2-5 teams with an awful kicking situation, and you really just don't want to be one of those teams, and sometimes a 5th round pick can make that problem very unlikely for awhile, so go for it. But beyond that, the difference between a top 5 kicker and one of the worst in a given season is like 4-5 missed FG's really, add in a TD's worth of missed extra points and that's still just a a tiny variance between one of the best and one of the worst. (Compare to say, the difference between one of the top 5 tight ends and like, one of the Jets' TE's).

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Also worth mentioning that teams shouldn't need or want an elite kicker until the team is already competitive. Kicking is conservative, and playing conservatively only benefits that favored team. An underdog pissing away opportunities for 4th down plays and 2 point conversions because they want to trot out the world's greatest kicker undermines the primary high variance strategies they need to be using to have any chance at winning. Kickers are only important for the winning team, because it allows their low variance choices to have the highest expected value.

It's possible a peak Gostkowski is worth a 1st to the Pats. This was an issue of a front office that didn't understand why a peak Gostkowski isn't worth anything close to that for them too.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

korrandark posted:

I never said anything about drafting a kicker. My point was that it was bullshit that there are a bunch of good kickers just waiting to get snapped up.

Right, I was trying agree and point out that it's irrelevant if Nugent was better in the past since he hosed them up pretty bad either way. Just didn't say it that well

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Cavauro posted:

Right, I was trying agree and point out that it's irrelevant if Nugent was better in the past since he hosed them up pretty bad either way. Just didn't say it that well

I'm sorry too. We should be talking about cool stuff, like Kevin Minter signing with the Bengals.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
It's a one year deal so they'll probably still draft an ILB early. It owns. Hopefully it's THE CHEF

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
I am just happy they signed someone who hasn't been on the team before. Him being a need position is just gravy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

korrandark posted:

Ted Nugent was a good kicker in 2015 and a bad kicker in 2016. That's because the difference between a good NFL kicker and a bad one isn't that great. The fact that they are generally so good makes the bad streaks really stand out.

It's definitely nothing like the disparity between the best and worst QBs.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's definitely nothing like the disparity between the best and worst QBs.

Imagine if it was.

Imagine if every QB was like Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Kickers are more important than anyone else, in the lives of their children. youve lost the argument to me

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Cavauro posted:

Kickers are more important than anyone else, in the lives of their children. youve lost the argument to me

Less so in the lives of spouses.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Shayne Graham went to my high school to give us a massive check to buy a turf football field. Two seasons later, iirc, he lost the Bengals a playoff game and was released

The moral of the story is don't give bad HS programs a $750k check because you'll be cursed in a small way several years later

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SKULL.GIF posted:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/16/washington-redskins-nfl-dysfunction-scot-mccloughan-dan-snyder-bruce-allen

Essentially McCloughan wasn't a loving hidebound idiot and that pissed off Allen who wanted things to be done traditionalistically, then it got even worse because McCloughan was succeeding.

The Redskins fired a successful GM because he tried to get everyone involved instead of meekly submitting to the Established Hierarchy.

gently caress this stupid team. It really does belong in Washington.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Ted Nugent was a good kicker in 2015 and a bad kicker in 2016.

Mike Nugent hasn't been a good kicker since 2011. Unless you believe being near the bottom of the league in field goal accuracy and having no range makes a good kicker. The blame for it getting so bad lands on the Bengals for keeping him so long.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Grittybeard posted:

gently caress Blair Walsh, and gently caress Gary Anderson

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Burginator posted:

gently caress Blair Walsh, and gently caress Gary Anderson

You know that Blair Walsh is going to hit a game winning field goal during the playoffs against the Vikings at some point in his career, right?

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Whooping Crabs posted:

You know that Blair Walsh is going to hit a game winning field goal during the playoffs against the Vikings at some point in his career, right?

Oh yeah, I'm fully aware. My liver has been preparing itself for that night for years, and I fear that it will not be powerful enough when that day comes.

Burginator fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 19, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trading into the second for a kicker lmao

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kalli posted:

Imagine if it was.

Imagine if every QB was like Ryan Fitzpatrick.

We would have no idea that they were bad and just assume that the forward pass isn't a reliable method for playing the game, and it would be 50s football

Which probably means the NFL would have folded or at the very least wouldn't be popular

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Whooping Crabs posted:

And he's going to do it for Seattle :unsmigghh:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Trading into the second for a kicker lmao

Remember that year carolina lost like 4 games becasue of olindo mare because the team decided to short Kasay like 500k. Then he went to the saints and was good.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
https://twitter.com/oneangrymidget/status/843619402058809344

I get all my Saints news from angry midgets.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/843805924938694656

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Better thank McCown I guess. Or not.

All is lost.

Send help.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

All is lost.

Send help.

I for one am excited. Chase was the real deal, we all got sidetracked by Gabbert.

Honestly though given the other options if you're not going after Cutler (or Romo somehow) he seems fine? He'll throw less interceptions than Fitz and you don't have to commit to him, and you're tanking anyhow.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Maybe we can bring back Brad Smith to steal his job.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

All is lost.

Send help.

Does it really matter at this point?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Ehud who is Jelani Jenkins and if you post anything other than glowing reviews I'm going to start cherry picking in his PFF numbers

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Blitz7x posted:

Ehud who is Jelani Jenkins and if you post anything other than glowing reviews I'm going to start cherry picking in his PFF numbers

Can be pretty good if healthy, can be pretty awful if not. Was mostly column two last year, hence being a FA that none of the Dolph-bros give a poo poo about.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Chase Daniel is 30, has thrown 78 passes in his career, and has made almost $20 million

Good work if you can get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jenkins had a few great plays and showed potential but his injuries have made him slow

He was a backup on the worst LB unit in the NFL last year so

• Locked thread