Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

A Centrelink Officer wrote, “While I accept that your right, dominant hand is non-functional as a result of the amputation, there is no objective medical evidence to indicate that there is a severe functional impact on activities like turning the pages of a book, using a pen or pencil or using a keyboard or carrying most objects with your functional arm.’’

Is this as a result of a medical assessment? I don't know the clink process for appraising an injury, but this guy is arguably a 75% incapacity worker under work cover which means you get paid. Obviously he can't do this because it isn't work related, but you would think that an independent medical board/examiner would reach the same conclusion as the hardcore shitcan work cover system.

What on loving earth it this "centrelink officer" on about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

cohsae posted:

I mean poo poo the claw arm already has a skull on it.

The whole arm is a tribute to this:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

JBP posted:

Is this as a result of a medical assessment? I don't know the clink process for appraising an injury, but this guy is arguably a 75% incapacity worker under work cover which means you get paid. Obviously he can't do this because it isn't work related, but you would think that an independent medical board/examiner would reach the same conclusion as the hardcore shitcan work cover system.

It's a result of a tribunal.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

JBP posted:

They have a list of things to tick off and a certain number of points are assigned to each item. If you don't get enough points you don't get a pension. It's not about medicine.

https://www.dss.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/05_2012/dsp_impairment_tbls_final_rpt.pdf

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

"why I bet that robo arm could carry 20L of VB."
*stamps page with red FIT TO WORK stamp*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Does putting a pencil in my mouth count as holding it?

Also thanks for showing me something worse than commcare and wc, what a time to be alive.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Send me your disabled

To the mines!

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

JBP posted:

There is a two (well, actually, multiple but I'll describe two) step process to get disability. In the first, a medical doctor fills out a form in which they describe your medical conditions and the impact it has on your life. On the second step, a different person employed by Centrelink takes that information and applies it to a series of tables that allocate numbers to each individual impost to your quality of life. The second step does not have to be done by someone in the medical field; I was performing the second step of this process ten years ago as a psychologist. In some ways it's easy because the application of functional impact to the tables is really straightforward and typically unambiguous. But medical doctors describing the condition usually aren't trained in the manner in which their statements will be mapped to the disability tables and the tables have very rigid boundaries and rules. For example, you can attract points for decreased respiratory function; a doctor might write down "decreased exercise tolerance, can't run anymore" but in the tables they might use qualifiers like "can't walk 50 steps up a 45 degree incline" and even if they're unable to do this, unless the doctor has specifically articulated a measurement of the disability as specified by the table, assessors are coached to not allocate points to it.

Mind you, 10 years ago there wasn't any real audit of the work of the second assessor so I tended just to allocate the maximum points I could, even where the descriptors used on the medical form didn't align well with the information contained in the table. I also spent some time calling doctors back, requesting clarification about some disabilities, and coaching them on how to fill out the medical form better to give their patients a better chance. I understand now that assessors aren't allowed to be creative and they've added a third step where another medical practitioner employed by Centrelink gives a final look at every completed application and has the authority to veto the whole thing. I don't want to accuse doctors of being scrupulous but I can't imagine a doctor that just waves everything through would remain in that role for very long; they added that position specifically to make getting DSP harder.

*edit* that picture illustrates what I'm talking about really well. If you were a medical doctor, it's not reasonable to expect you'll know that Centrelink counts "being unable to hold a pen or pencil" as a 20 point item and they might just write down "has trouble writing" in complete good faith. But because they didn't use the specific code word, they've now described a 10 or 5 point disability. And the responsibility falls on the DSP applicant; Centrelink doesn't call the doctors back to clarify, in this situation they'd just write 10 points and deny the application. It's unimaginably difficult to then try to audit the process once you've been declined to find out, specifically, why your doctor's statements were insufficient to maximize your points.

Serrath fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 20, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

An idea so bad even Coles and the SDA agreed it shouldn't be put to workers

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Solemn Sloth posted:

Was this from Coles? I'm sure the 400 million plus profit could handle the extra hours

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The trick is to go and get the free pizza and then go to fair work to collect your pay too.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

bowmore posted:

Was this from Coles? I'm sure the 400 million plus profit could handle the extra hours
what are the odds the store/shift manager has strong incentives to pull a stunt like this?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Writing a note is amateur hour material.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm guessing the original version of the note had a line about "everyone knows hours are being cut back by head office and not everyone will be getting the numbers of hours they want and many casuals will be moved to zero hours on the roster. In light of that I will be taking note of everyone who volunteers and take it into account when making the schedule."

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Chips posted:

what are the odds the store/shift manager has strong incentives to pull a stunt like this?
have to make sure that end of year bonus stays intact

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/843646910762110976

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/843646388558745601

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Plan to hold national plebiscite on same sex marriage via postal vote

CONSERVATIVE Turnbull Government ministers are pushing to hold a national plebiscite on same sex marriage by postal vote.

The Daily Telegraph understands conservative Liberal MPs have held recent discussions with their cabinet colleagues about the feasibility of holding a plebiscite by postal vote.

Under this model, the Australian Electoral Commission would send out postal ballots and it would be voluntary for Australians to partake in the vote on same sex marriage.

MPs told The Daily Telegraph this option does not require legislation change and would get around the decision by Labor and the Greens to kill-off the plebiscite.

The Australian Electoral Commission’s chief legal officer Paul Pirani has confirmed to the parliament that a plebiscite could be held without the Parliament passing enabling legislation, using a “voluntary postal vote methodology.”

But moderate MPs have expressed reservations that this model would create public anger that the party was bypassing the parliament.

It would also be a non-compulsory ballot, so could undermine the outcome if there is a low voter-turnout.

There are also concerns a plebiscite of any nature would also dominate the political agenda for the months leading up to it.

Ministers in the Turnbull Government have been pushing to get same-sex marriage off the agenda.

It is a divisive issue in the Coalition, with the Nationals and the right of the Liberal Party strongly against holding a free conscience vote on the policy.

The Nationals have not budged from their view that a conscience vote would be a breach of the Coalition agreement Leader Barnaby Joyce signed with Malcolm Turnbull.

http://www.dailyterror.com.au/news/...cbf550345d370fe

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

At this point why are they still trying to push for some form of plebiscite? Do they really expect to get a majority in it, or is it just about trying to get one more excuse to have a campaign telling homosexuals they don't like them?

Christ, it's the latter isn't it.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
ne: ^ it's political football to get factional power back from the right, thats all.

:allears:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They want to do as little as possible about it without looking like they're doing nothing. Ideally they'd do something that might have a chance of rejecting SSM too.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

If you've ever wanted to get a politician's personal number, you may have just missed your chance.

The phone numbers of politicians and their staff have been published online - but have been pulled by the Department of Parliamentary Services (DPS).

In a statement, DPS told the ABC that they were published as part of the Parliamentarians’ Mobile and Telecommunications and Data Services Expenditure reports, which are collated and provided to the Department by a private contractor, TELCO Management.

The statement continued:

quote:

Typically, the information displayed in those reports only displays the identity of the parliamentarian and aggregated total expenditure.

In the most recent report provided by the contractor, it became possible to view the official mobile phone number of parliamentarians and their staff even though they appeared redacted from the published files.

So instead of actually redacting the information someone just changed the text background to black :cripes:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

So instead of actually redacting the information someone just changed the text background to black :cripes:

No they changed the text to white.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wonder how long it will take them to change the numbers...

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

No they changed the text to white.

even better

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Wonder how long it will take them to change the numbers...

Malcolm what's that man doing with his anus?

Hey Barnaby check out what this guy is doing with his anus.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 20, 2017

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Malcolm what's that man doing with his anus?

Hey Barnaby check out what this guy is doing with his anus.

I hope this has happened.

Turnbull doesn't have his number in the list :(

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/843678624746098688

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/beneltham/status/843675469790629891

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The creature that was once Gillian Triggs roams the desolate countryside, her horrifying roars of "please stop being a racist shithead" strike terror into conservatives everywhere.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Lid posted:

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Hammerschlag's nickname in lawyer circles is The Hammer. He does not gently caress around.

Feel like they missed a trick not calling him The Gavel

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The ABC posted:

Treasurer Scott Morrison says the Government has no plans to allow first home buyers to access their retirement savings so they can afford a deposit.

It follows widespread criticism from the superannuation industry and economists about the idea.

Government figures repeatedly refused to rule out the proposal last week, instead saying they would not speculate on any measures to address housing affordability before the May budget.

That led the Opposition to accuse the Government of planning changes that would allow younger Australians to raid their retirement savings, warning it would push up property prices.

But Mr Morrison ruled out the idea during Question Time when asked by shadow treasurer Chris Bowen if the Council of Financial Regulators had expressed concerns.

So give it a week before they announce that they want to make it happen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Oh yes, please, make the campaign happen so you can get all that hate speech out into the open, then hold the vote in such a way that it's easy to argue the truth of the numbers anyway.

Frankly I'm surprised they didn't suggest this earlier.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/smurray38/status/843591547014660096

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

It's great to see that the bad ideas of the past and being recycled as the bad ideas of the present.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
It wasn't quite so bad before the housing market went mental.

If the tories wanted to do something to help first home buyers, ditching the FHSA scheme wasn't a great idea.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
How do you get a complexion like Barnaby when you spend comparatively gently caress all time outside in direct sunlight. Is he putting away a half case of shiraz a day or something

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

quote:

WA sources have told The New Daily that a spike in voter enrolments in Pilbara’s declining electoral roll immediately after Mr Grylls announced the iron ore royalty plan last August caught people’s attention.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2017/03/19/big-money-miners-got-wa-politician-booted-out-claim/

Seems like now would be a good time for the new WA Government to do something to raise the 5 cents a tonne royalty that the big oversears miners pay. The Nats' proposed levy would've raised an extra 1.5-1.8 billion for WA per annum.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

aejix posted:

How do you get a complexion like Barnaby when you spend comparatively gently caress all time outside in direct sunlight. Is he putting away a half case of shiraz a day or something

It's funny I was wondering the same thing. He can't be getting enough sun for the red face so I think it's got to be booze.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
He got skin cancer on his face so he's probably had some time in the sun,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2017/03/19/big-money-miners-got-wa-politician-booted-out-claim/

Seems like now would be a good time for the new WA Government to do something to raise the 5 cents a tonne royalty that the big oversears miners pay. The Nats' proposed levy would've raised an extra 1.5-1.8 billion for WA per annum.

The common argument is that mining jobs will be lost, which stands up until you actually put any sort of critical thinking towards it, and completely forget that the mining industry has been on a cost cutting drive for the last decade and if you think there are any extraneous jobs in mining right now I have a bridge to sell you.

• Locked thread