Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

old-school kayak spam shitpost so people will stop doxxing me:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

MinorInconvenience posted:

But it will probably be too late very soon. You will know this once the refunds are granted slower or refused and employees start to be laid off ("stealth" layoffs for "performance" reasons are still popular among most shitbag HR types). Unlike the principled folks at other bankrupt Kickstarter-funded companies that I will not name here, Star Citizen backers' money is at risk and apparently not protected by an escrow account. You backers need to get out right now! Please. I hate to see the little guys get hosed by the corporations, the fat-cat directors and officers, and their secured lenders (i.e., banks). Get out while you still can. I beg you.

The most stubborn, retarded or outright shills seem to believe that they are sticking it to the corporations and AAA games publishers by backing pre-paying thousands of dollars for a game that doesn't exist, based on marketing videos (that have nothing to do with the actual playable mess). And the parpy promises of a guy, who proved (yet again) to be incompetent to manage a project he himself pitched (but competent enough to scam people to keep giving him money).

It'd be nice if most of their backers arrive at the realization of how hosed up this project has become, but yeah, that ain't happening.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Multiple prompts for one action:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/CrispForcefulAustraliankelpie.webm

Multiple actions for one prompt:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/HilariousAppropriateGalapagospenguin.webm

Wow. CrispForcefulAustraliankelpie and HilariousAppropriateGalapagospenguin

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Kickstarter. Get Sandi as your marketing agent.

For the first time in my personal SC history, I am conflicted. Seriously.

Visit triumphant goons in celebration of the fall of CIG or
Actually acknowledge Sandi as valid for ANYTHING...

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
So isn't 2.6.2 supposed to go LIVE in 3 days?

Then backers will have almost all of the 2.6's features in their hands by April.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

So isn't 2.6.2 supposed to go LIVE in 3 days?

Then backers will have almost all of the 2.6's features in their hands by April.

Fear not - 3.0 can still arrive in time for December 2016.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I told you my thoughts, oh, maybe 4 times so far? I expect a 3.0 drop by end of summer 2017. I also expected at least one level of sq42 to drop (including evocati drop) sometime this year. I don't expect them to release much more of that because it's a story line they want to share with everyone all at once.

The pricing structure for the ships was always discussed to be: cheapest upon initial offering and going up in price with each anniversary of the ship until release. We've already seen this with ships like SH and Retaliator. So, if a ship costs $100 now (and at a UEC conversion of 1000 to $1USD,, then it stand to reason that the in-game UEC cost for the ship will be 100,000 UEC. If it increases in price at least 4 times to let's say: $300 before release, then we're looking at a ship costing 300,000 in UEC. Now it may not be a true 4x original price structure for all ships. I'm assuming there are other factors such as rarity, lore, etc, but I fully expect ships costing much more in game after release than now.

When SC is released, it's said that we'll have the capability of trading ships for UEC, etc. I fully expect people to make out-of-game sale arrangements that involve the transfer of real cash instead of in-game UEC.

Fine, fine, forget December 2016. Who mentioned that unrealistic date, anyway?

Reset that 3.0 delivery to a far more realistic "by August 2017". That's 4.5 months from now... plenty of time to deliver:

BASIC PROFESSION FUNCTIONS
- Trading – Be able to buy/sell commodities via kiosks and NPCs among the various landing zones.
- Cargo Transport – Pick up hauling jobs between landing zones. Automatic cargo load/unload, manual cargo transport.
- Piracy and Smuggling – Establish secure/non-secure areas. AI Security response to attacks. Add the ability to retrieve floating cargo from destroyed ships. Create buy/sell system for illicit cargo.
- Mercenary – Create Service Beacon System (for Combat Assist Contracts). Create AI distress scenarios.
- Bounty Hunter – Accept missions to terminate wanted players and NPCs.

STANTON SYSTEM ROLL-OUT
Travel around the various planets and stations within the Stanton System. Although technically a UEE system, all of these planets were sold to MegaCorps to help fund the government.

Debut of Planetary Tech

Expanding the Stanton System
- ArcCorp
- Hurston
- Microtech
- Crusader
- Delamar

New Space Stations, moons and Asteroid belts

RSI Ursa Rover – This rugged all-terrain vehicle is perfect for exploring vast planets.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Why do they do that dumb hand wave thing? It's like kids tv presenters who do weird 'bu-bai' waves.

It's cheesy, corny, all kinds of condescending to adults and just a little bit culty secret handshake/hand symbol lovely.

It's archered from Mr Hankey the xmas poo's greeting wave as well.

Around the verse?

Stick that right up your arse.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 20, 2017

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Mr Fronts posted:

Fine, fine, forget December 2016. Who mentioned that unrealistic date, anyway?

Reset that 3.0 delivery to a far more realistic "by August 2017". That's 4.5 months from now... plenty of time to deliver:

BASIC PROFESSION FUNCTIONS
- Trading – Be able to buy/sell commodities via kiosks and NPCs among the various landing zones.
- Cargo Transport – Pick up hauling jobs between landing zones. Automatic cargo load/unload, manual cargo transport.
- Piracy and Smuggling – Establish secure/non-secure areas. AI Security response to attacks. Add the ability to retrieve floating cargo from destroyed ships. Create buy/sell system for illicit cargo.
- Mercenary – Create Service Beacon System (for Combat Assist Contracts). Create AI distress scenarios.
- Bounty Hunter – Accept missions to terminate wanted players and NPCs.

STANTON SYSTEM ROLL-OUT
Travel around the various planets and stations within the Stanton System. Although technically a UEE system, all of these planets were sold to MegaCorps to help fund the government.

Debut of Planetary Tech

Expanding the Stanton System
- ArcCorp
- Hurston
- Microtech
- Crusader
- Delamar

New Space Stations, moons and Asteroid belts

RSI Ursa Rover – This rugged all-terrain vehicle is perfect for exploring vast planets.

5 years to deliver a vertical slice. Wonder if their long term estimates predict the game coming out within a decade.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

When SC is released, it's said that we'll have the capability of trading ships for UEC, etc. I fully expect people to make out-of-game sale arrangements that involve the transfer of real cash instead of in-game UEC.

Chris Roberts has said dozens of things that he later changed his mind on. The problem with people not holding him to account for this is that there's no downside to him saying whatever suits him best at the time.

So when raising money on kickstarter and giving interviews in 2012, he only needs 500k, then he needs 2 million to prove to investors, then he needs 14 million to do without investors. It's only going to take 2 years as any longer than that and it would get stale. Then later once we reach 23 million we'll be at full funding, honest guv.

During kickstarter, buy this alien vanduul ship for $300, your only chance to get it, $300, bargain, buy this Idris Corvette your only chance to get it $1000, both come with LTI which we won't sell again. What's LTI do? Who the gently caress knows I'll make up some bullshit, but it's great and you don't want to miss out.

Later when they want to raise money, LTI is staying for a year, you can gift packages freely between accounts do whatever you want, you only have a year though you don't want to miss out. Also buy this Idris Corvette, yeah we said we won't sell it again but this one is slightly different, it's an Idris P, doesn't come with the big railgun and it costs more, $1250. Good price really and we said we won't sell the Idris M before, not the P which we'd never mentioned. Sure you can get the big gun in game and make your Idris P into Idris M, buy now.

We've going to sell a new Vanduul ship, it's not the $300 one we promised not to sell again, it's a $350 one with more guns.

The Dog fighting module will be out in about November 2013, later it's the end of the year. We'll have a big sale in Nov 2013, the end of LTI sale which we'll never sell again, buy now you don't want to miss out.

2014, we're going to sell LTI again, people missed out and we need the money really.

There's dozens more examples. How can you not see that Chris Roberts seems to have an irresistible urge to say things that later turn out not to be true when changing his mind results in raising more money?

We're not going to have subscriptions, oh wait, you get loaner limited edition ships and special video shows to answer your questions if you subscribe, you also get automatically picked to enter the special tester group, it's special you don't want to miss out.

We won't sell ships after release, oh wait they'll sell game packages that include larger ships but we're not selling ships.

Give more you gullible idiots and no you can't have a refund you gifted items around, who told you to do that you muppet? We owe you nothing, you should thank us for letting you experience all our great video content. 829 videos, sure the game is poo poo but look at how great our offices are.

Give more.

AP fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 20, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sabreseven posted:

Why do they do that dumb hand wave thing?
Have you seen Chris?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Come on Mr Fronts, be realistic, no one ever said they would have all that in 3.0 - Only a fool who say that.

I think we will all be happy if 3.0 only has 'all new'* hair cuts and some new pants, that's more realistic. (and maybe a hidden leather jacket that you can fine that was wavy hand designed over a whole day by the Chairman)

*brand new, custom made technology, never before done**

**never before done to this level of fidelity***

***Christ Roberts level of fidelity****

****You know Chris only accepts to very best, as displayed by the state of the art, never done***** before patching software.

*****While this patching software WAS done before, in the late 90's by a few dumb programmers, it as never before been done for software that is 30 gigabytes plus.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 20, 2017

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Have you seen Chris?

Yeah, I edited my post to let Mr 42 pence gesticulate my thoughts everytime I see them waving their hands around a la Chrisp :)

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Chalks posted:

5 years to deliver a vertical slice. Wonder if their long term estimates predict the game coming out within a decade.

Yes but if you remember Chris cutting the cake at citizen con, you would see that he struggles making any kind of slice, vertical or otherwise.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKTaXj7JtV4

:gary:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Kosumo posted:

Yes but if you remember Chris cutting the cake at citizen con, you would see that he struggles making any kind of slice, vertical or otherwise.

:bravo:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

An bug which pre-dates the begining of Helion development :D (It did used to happen in AC didn't it)

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 20, 2017

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

AP posted:

Chris Roberts has said dozens of things that he later changed his mind on. The problem with people not holding him to account for this is that there's no downside to him saying whatever suits him best at the time.

So when raising money on kickstarter and giving interviews in 2012, he only needs 500k, then he needs 2 million to prove to investors, then he needs 14 million to do without investors. It's only going to take 2 years as any longer than that and it would get stale. Then later once we reach 23 million we'll be at full funding, honest guv.

During kickstarter, buy this alien vanduul ship for $300, your only chance to get it, $300, bargain, buy this Idris Corvette your only chance to get it $1000, both come with LTI which we won't sell again. What's LTI do? Who the gently caress knows I'll make up some bullshit, but it's great and you don't want to miss out.

Later when they want to raise money, LTI is staying for a year, you can gift packages freely between accounts do whatever you want, you only have a year though you don't want to miss out. Also buy this Idris Corvette, yeah we said we won't sell it again but this one is slightly different, it's an Idris P, doesn't come with the big railgun and it costs more, $1250. Good price really and we said we won't sell the Idris M before, not the P which we'd never mentioned. Sure you can get the big gun in game and make your Idris P into Idris M, buy now.

We've going to sell a new Vanduul ship, it's not the $300 one we promised not to sell again, it's a $350 one with more guns.

The Dog fighting module will be out in about November 2013, later it's the end of the year. We'll have a big sale in Nov 2013, the end of LTI sale which we'll never sell again, buy now you don't want to miss out.

2014, we're going to sell LTI again, people missed out and we need the money really.

There's dozens more examples. How can you not see that Chris Roberts seems to have an irresistible urge to say things that later turn out not to be true when changing his mind results in raising more money?

We're not going to have subscriptions, oh wait, you get loaner limited edition ships and special video shows to answer your questions if you subscribe, you also get automatically picked to enter the special tester group, it's special you don't want to miss out.

We won't sell ships after release, oh wait they'll sell game packages that include larger ships but we're not selling ships.

Give more you gullible idiots and no you can't have a refund you gifted items around, who told you to do that you muppet? We owe you nothing, you should thank us for letting you experience all our great video content. 829 videos, sure the game is poo poo but look at how great our offices are.

Give more.

Way to make up FUD, none of that is true, just ask Moma or anyone on r/starcitizen.

Next you'll be saying that Chris was deceptive about Sandi being his wife for the first few years of the project. Or some other silly thing like them have one price on their concept sale ships for store credit and another for fresh money.

Spose you'll try to make out that as Chris was get those millions between $15 and $40 he was saying that having more money would not slow things down but in fact make it faster due to being able to hire more people.

If any of what you have said is true, then why has Derek Smart not written a July Blog post about it?

FUD.

And anyway, Moma says " I fully expect " so we all know that means that that is what Chris Roberts, Game Designing God, is going to do (because he can, he's a creative genius because he has seen movies and TV shows (read books, not so much) and knows how to copy things and make them the best bland they can be.)

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Citizen: It would be Development Hell, only to be fair, Satan runs that place better than Chris runs CIG

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Strong tongue game

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

I told you my thoughts, oh, maybe 4 times so far? I expect a 3.0 drop by end of summer 2017. I also expected at least one level of sq42 to drop (including evocati drop) sometime this year. I don't expect them to release much more of that because it's a story line they want to share with everyone all at once.

The pricing structure for the ships was always discussed to be: cheapest upon initial offering and going up in price with each anniversary of the ship until release. We've already seen this with ships like SH and Retaliator. So, if a ship costs $100 now (and at a UEC conversion of 1000 to $1USD,, then it stand to reason that the in-game UEC cost for the ship will be 100,000 UEC. If it increases in price at least 4 times to let's say: $300 before release, then we're looking at a ship costing 300,000 in UEC. Now it may not be a true 4x original price structure for all ships. I'm assuming there are other factors such as rarity, lore, etc, but I fully expect ships costing much more in game after release than now.

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding exactly where you're coming from. Between Chris's legendary ineptitude playing out exactly the way it did last time he tried this, a "game development studio" loving up in directions we never thought possible, what little being "released" admissible as evidence against the game rather than for it, there's just no way to look at this project and this it's even close to realistic at this point.

Yet you remain relatively calm. I don't get the vibe of cognitive dissonance from you, nor do I feel you're stuck in sunk cost fallacy. You simply parrot the company line, note-for-note, like a mimeograph machine, with neither emotion nor critical thought.

It's as if you're passively delusional.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

It's as if you're passively delusional.

The oddest thing was the original release of 2.6 and if Star Marine was enabled or not. There were pages on a pointless argument about something that in the wider picture was totally unimportant, a few days here or there, but the desperate need to prove Derek wrong about anything.

Also the hilarious iron clad TOS period.

Yet he's spoken about selling some ships even if you absolutely cannot get him to total up the RSI credit value of ships he currently owns. He's odd, I hope he's not trolling about believing the 4x ship cost after release thing because the reaction when CIG is finally forced to come clean is going to be wonderful, unless he just disappears never to be seen again during the end times.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

All I want is for MOMA to give us 10 minutes of exiting SC gameplay, prove us wrong. Show us what you are seeing in this game, show us why we are wrong.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I'm now going to list the things Chris Roberts has told the truth about:-

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

I'm now going to list the things Chris Roberts has told the truth about :-

- We need more money

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

AP posted:

- We’re already one year in, another two years puts us at three total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Daztek posted:

- We need more money

- i am the Tickler

Jiz
Jan 7, 2016

Trans and Drag Queens doing cocaine, once you're a Jiz Whore you're never the same.
I got my refund.

It's a damned shame, such high hopes for this but the whole thing descended into a paper thin charade. The real sad times will be when SC implodes and potentially drags the whole kickstarter revolution down with it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

The table might be hard to shift after everything closes down.

http://i.imgur.com/sTuX9f1.mp4
Those sofa/armchair things look pretty odd too. And by odd I mean, both terrible and almost certainly very expensive.

Kosumo posted:

EDIT: Romani Leather Sofa Set 3+2 Black & White was $899 pounds now $699 - not to bad really. (just a few concept jpegs of something to some idiots would cover it.)
aha

Seriously though can you not get a bigger pool table for £5000? Jesus

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 20, 2017

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

AP posted:

-Community is the most important aspect of the project.

-The community is the thing that makes star citizen special.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

AP posted:

quote:

You had a first-time director dealing with a compressed pre-production schedule, and a smaller than average budget for the effects-driven science fiction movie. Roberts said he wished someone had sat him down, forced him to pick four or five things that it was important to do well, and focus on those. Instead he tried to do too much, and didn’t have the budget nor time to do any of it particularly well.

That was the Wing Commander movie, where he was surrounded by industry professionals and millions of dollars - and yet, his own personal failure emission field was powerful enough to take down the film.

Here we have him surrounded by non-professionals, given millions of dollars, a history of failure that has long since eclipsed his initial success, and a documented inability to learn from those failures.

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those of us who do study history are doomed to watch others repeat it.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
They've walked back cargo/trading for 3.0. Cargo will only exist as "stat" that goes up and down when you buy/sell.

The dev literally said they'd 'layer in the fidelity' later.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:siren::siren:The Final Round of America's Next Top Mongrel is live!!:siren::siren:

Please go vote for the dog of your choosing or the dog of my choosing, either way dogs are good!

Voting is HERE!!

e: Charity donation toxx thread is here!!

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 20, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Well, you can't pick up a pussy.

Too soon?

Hi Eyonwe.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kosumo posted:

:vince:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

Has anyone discussed the tax burden of said 'real cash' laundering?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ManofManyAliases posted:

This is against the rules of every released game ever, and for good reason.

e: But I guess if you like dealing with shady chinese farmers for pennies on the dollar, yeah, you'll get a deal.

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 20, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

bbchops posted:

I've been playing home computer games basically since there were home computers, and this is an insane thing to think.

I was mulling this the other day with regard to board games. I've been picking up a few modern ones because I played some quite complex poo poo back in the day, and they're all pretty much streamlined to provide for easy play within an hour.

To counterpoint, Star Fleet Battles at the higher points end would take half an hour for an entire turn because of the loving depth. The rulebooks are dense, numbered rulesets without pictures. It takes some serious work to engage a victim to play that game these days. It's effectively harpoon with spaceships.

Car Wars required actual measuring of ranges, which pretty much strayed into wargaming territory. Again, the setup can take an hour or so, but it's a faster paced game.

I think that many people mistake complexity for 'fidelity', although I'm never entirely sure why CiG are using that word.

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's this poo poo about Vulkan? Aren't they already delayed enough? They've some semblance of working 3D graphics, how about finishing the loving game (lol)?

Technically, bringing their poo poo up to date on Lumberyard will 'add' functionality and create the illusion of progress.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MinorInconvenience posted:

I have a professional interest in hosed-up and dying companies. I am a corporate bankruptcy attorney with a masters in business, with over ten years experience in the industry, and with post-graduate experience in the tech industry. I have seen many companies before, during, and after their descent into insolvency and am admitted in all of the major jurisdictions handling corporate bankruptcies in the US.

I was merely alive and trying to draw a paycheck during the dotcom boom, which gave me a lot of free time to read about all the companies, business plans and the way in which they were raising money between 1996 and 1999, with the VCs getting itchy feet at exactly the same time.

One of the most common threads is that they tended to keep things going way beyond the cessation of revenue, and the actual collapses were sharp, quick affairs once there was nobody signing paychecks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Abongination posted:

No idea why Red Bull keeps pushing this poo poo, I thought their games team was pretty on the ball.

Red Bull makes money on kids risking their health without any of that messy entanglement of 'looking after the talent', so it's pretty much what I expect for those taurine-slinging whores.

Meanwhile, in 'probably actually going to be a thing' VR Sport news;

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-27-eve-online-devs-vr-sports-game-project-arena-becomes-sparc