Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

I think it would be difficult to accurately measure the current rate of populist thinking, whatever that is, and even harder to prove that what largely fuels it right now is the media.

Really? The numerous scholars on the issue don't agree with you, somethingawfulforums user Breath Ray.

https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?as_ylo=2016&q=rise+right+wing+populism+Europe&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/843791559816568832

Trolling hard.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Quoting myself on how apocalyptic a snap GE would be for Labour:

Darth Walrus posted:

Labour is in a peculiar situation right now. It's rich as hell, and also broke as hell. See, it comes down to the division between national and local. The central party is in a better situation than it's been in in years, which means that it's a net benefit rather than a net drain for the local parties. The problem is that there's a lot of local parties, and local membership fees plus central party stipends only make up a small part of their finances. The rest is from fundraising campaigns, which are the fastest way to regenerate your funds after a period of heavy expenditure. Local parties have been through a period of extremely heavy expenditure. The general election, first leadership campaign, local government election campaign, and EU referendum campaign completely exhausted their coffers - for instance, it was a considerable surprise that the Labour candidate for Avon and Somerset PCC managed as close a second place as he did, because thanks to the campaigns for the referendum and the other local government posts, he ran with literally zero campaign budget. The plan was to go back into some heavy-duty fundraising once the dust settled from Brexit, and start reaching out to the new arrivals from the leadership election, getting them used to the attending meetings and learning the inner workings of the party.

Then the morons in the PLP launched their coup and - this is the important bit - shut down all CLP activity for the next three months, paralysing them as their chances to secure money and members trickled away into the ether. It was a tremendous blow, and one they're still trying to recover from. It also means that if a snap election happens, Labour will be at an enormous financial and organisational disadvantage - you need tens of thousands of pounds to run a serious general election campaign in your constituency, and our CLP's budget is barely over a thousand, and it's still only just starting to spin up its member induction campaign.

Source: a chat with the CLP treasurer at our last local meeting. Seriously, truly attending some. The local officers have had it up to here with the PLP's poo poo.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jakabite posted:

Really? The numerous scholars on the issue don't agree with you, somethingawfulforums user Breath Ray.

https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?as_ylo=2016&q=rise+right+wing+populism+Europe&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

Put down those goalposts! You said the rise in populist thinking, not in populism. And you said it was largely fuelled by the media. You can't prove that and you never will.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gonzo McFee posted:

Nick Cohen is an Islamophobic right wing poo poo.

Who nailed corbynismo to the wall in that essay.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
ToK lessons were awesome. We learned all about logical fallacies, getting good sources and the How and Why of knowing.
Is there any point in converting the majority of my savings into euros before next Wednesday? I've put a bit outside the country already, but it doesn't look like the exchange rate could crater any worse, so...

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Lunar Suite posted:

ToK lessons were awesome. We learned all about logical fallacies, getting good sources and the How and Why of knowing.
Is there any point in converting the majority of my savings into euros before next Wednesday? I've put a bit outside the country already, but it doesn't look like the exchange rate could crater any worse, so...

Doubt the exchange rate is going to get any better, so probably wise.

Wonder if I can open an account in Europe somewhere and move my savings into the Euro. Girlfriend and I are seriously considering moving out of the country in two years time.

haakman
May 5, 2011
We teach critical thinking in History all the time. In order to make history enjoyable to students you have to make it relevant to today. We are constantly looking at modern sources and critiquing them.

Also the whole logical fallacy thing drives me insane. There seems to be a generation of nerds whose only response is beep boop that's a <insert fallacy taken from Wikipedia> here. FFS it's a small part of one single school of philosophy, you loving androids. If only Foucault had gained as much traction.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

PMs spokesperson strongly ruled out early election again today.

Personally I think a snap GE would certainly change the landscape, but not as radically as some people assume/hope. Labour would likely lose a lot of seats, the Tories would have a stronger majority, and they'd have an easier time getting legislation through.

Having said that, I think Labour needs a general election to put its new policies to the public. Whether that happens in 2020 or earlier doesn't matter much, but the majority of the public still seem to feel Labour hasn't really changed apart from electing someone the press says is bad. Corbyn really needs a chance to set out a radical manifesto, and I do think it will gain more traction than the polls at the moment suggest.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Corbyn really needs a chance to set out a radical manifesto, and I do think it will gain more traction than the polls at the moment suggest.

This is the wishful thinking strategy.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

This is the wishful thinking strategy.

This is defeatist.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Darth Walrus posted:

Quoting myself on how apocalyptic a snap GE would be for Labour:

That was more posts than I expected before we reached "It'd be bad but it's PLP's fault, not Corbyn's"

jabby posted:

I presume this is like the 'Vote of Confidence' for managers in sport? The fact that the statement has to be made at all means there's enough momentum that it has reached that level?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
How do you even go about changing money into euros/dollars outside of using the holiday exchange people, who are obviously not going be giving you a good price?

Breath Ray posted:

Put down those goalposts! You said the rise in populist thinking, not in populism. And you said it was largely fuelled by the media. You can't prove that and you never will.

Jesus Christ, what's the difference?

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 20, 2017

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010

Jakabite posted:

How do you even go about changing money into euros/dollars outside of using the holiday exchange people, who are obviously not going be giving you a good price?

Post Office

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Is that really the best way? I assumed there'd be some sort of arcane online platform that was optimal for this sort of thing.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Tom Watson attacks Momentum-Unite Labour 'plot'
The unions are plotting to destroy the party of labour! :jerkbag:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Watson is such a dick. Any time there's the semblance of stability within the party, and after a week of poor headlines for the Tories no less, he pops up to deliver some more negative press. And people wonder why Corbyn supporters pin some blame on him and his allies for poor polling.

Does anyone know how delegates are chosen for the labour conference? What are the odds of the Mcdonnell amendment going through?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Oberleutnant posted:

The best bit is if you listen to the smoking-gun evidence, which was just on the news. Momentum... feels that some of the CLP's values aren't in line with what they believe and wants to lower the nomination threshold, and apparently said so in a public talk. So, uh, expect the NKVD at the door any day, I guess?

Jesus wept.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Momentum should be purged to be honest and i hope Watson is the man to do it

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Jakabite posted:

If you turn up and buy at the airport - or at your destination - you get scalped, but you can get competitive rates from Travelex etc by ordering online and collecting at airport, or you can buy online / in person from companies like Ace FX who send it to you by post

For larger amounts, companies like HiFX or TransferWise can quote and do the trade for you

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

jabby posted:

Personally I think a snap GE would certainly change the landscape, but not as radically as some people assume/hope. Labour would likely lose a lot of seats, the Tories would have a stronger majority, and they'd have an easier time getting legislation through.

Having said that, I think Labour needs a general election to put its new policies to the public. Whether that happens in 2020 or earlier doesn't matter much, but the majority of the public still seem to feel Labour hasn't really changed apart from electing someone the press says is bad. Corbyn really needs a chance to set out a radical manifesto, and I do think it will gain more traction than the polls at the moment suggest.

I don't think a snap GE would be as great for the Tories as a lot of people are claiming. They stand to gain Labour seats in a bunch of places, like Cumbria (Copeland and both adjacent Labour seats swung against Labour in 2015 against the national trend in England) but they also risk losing back a lot of the gains they made from the Lib Dems. It's not impossible to imagine the Tories getting 40% of the vote and a hung parliament.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I can imagine it no bother.

Though what would actually happen is a 100 seat Tory majority.

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010

Jakabite posted:

Is that really the best way? I assumed there'd be some sort of arcane online platform that was optimal for this sort of thing.

They don't charge commission and they do also have a website, so...

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

HJB posted:

Article 50 to be triggered on the 29th.

Typical lefty UKMT with their Trigger Warnings

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

I can imagine it no bother.

Though what would actually happen is a 100 seat Tory majority.

How though? The biggest drop in Labour support relative to 2015 has occurred in London and that's remain voters flirting with going back to the Lib Dems. There aren't enough Labour MPs in the south or midlands where the Tories have really gained support because of Brexit to produce that kind of a swing.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

spectralent posted:

The best bit is if you listen to the smoking-gun evidence, which was just on the news. Momentum... feels that some of the CLP's values aren't in line with what they believe and wants to lower the nomination threshold, and apparently said so in a public talk. So, uh, expect the NKVD at the door any day, I guess?

Lansman stating that Momentum will continue to ignore Momentum's own rulebook forbidding members of rival political parties to Labour from being members is pretty damning or the organisation.

you've ignored that part

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

How though? The biggest drop in Labour support relative to 2015 has occurred in London and that's remain voters flirting with going back to the Lib Dems. There aren't enough Labour MPs in the south or midlands where the Tories have really gained support because of Brexit to produce that kind of a swing.

Copeland isn't in London.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

Copeland isn't in London.

And as I pointed out in my previous post the Labour seats in Cumbria went against the Labour vote trend in England in 2015 so it's an exception rather than a pattern.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cerv posted:

Lansman stating that Momentum will continue to ignore Momentum's own rulebook forbidding members of rival political parties to Labour from being members is pretty damning or the organisation.

you've ignored that part

That's not the part the news lead with which is weird because that actually does sound like something you could justifiably be mad about, but I also feel like membership rules are generally kind of dumb so it doesn't personally upset me since I'd prefer labour convert other left-wingers under FPTP.

EDIT: In fact that allegation doesn't appear at all in the news article there, either, but it does contain this:

quote:

Friends of Mr Watson say they believe there is an orchestrated attempt by Momentum and Unite to take control of the machinery of the Labour Party.

They claim there are plans to introduce mandatory reselection of MPs, remove critical councillors, take over regional Labpur parties, change the leadership rules, and ignore restrictions on the activities of non Labour Party members.

One said the situation was more serious than the 1980s because now Labour was facing a threat from within its own organisation rather than an external group like Militant.

It was claimed that despite denials by Unite an assurance had been given by Mr McLuskey's allies that he was willing to fund Momentum.

"Ignore restrictions on the activities of non-Labour party members" might mean "join other political parties" but it's vague as gently caress and appears at the end of a long list of stuff that's A: Mostly unsubstantiated and B: In the case that it isn't, is a sensible thing anyone who didn't like New Labour would want.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 20, 2017

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Isn't there a whole rival Grassroots Momentum thing now

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

And as I pointed out in my previous post the Labour seats in Cumbria went against the Labour vote trend in England in 2015 so it's an exception rather than a pattern.

It's not credible to suggest there could be a 4% swing from labour to the Tories on the 2015 result and somebody there isn't a Tory majority.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jakabite posted:

Jesus Christ, what's the difference?

You are confusing the part with the whole. And please - call me breath ray.

Ive found the best way is to set up a bank account in euros and the more you transfer the better the exchange rate. Of course this works best with international banks that offer both sterling and euro accounts.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

kustomkarkommando posted:

Isn't there a whole rival Grassroots Momentum thing now

Given the left's amazing ability to co-operate this doesn't surprise me.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

It's not credible to suggest there could be a 4% swing from labour to the Tories on the 2015 result and somebody there isn't a Tory majority.

I see you're struggling to understand the concept of non-uniform swings.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 20, 2017

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I can't parse this but I do have a question. Would you like to see a token lefty on each leadership ballot? I think I would. Although it might push the others further to the right.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think its a faction within a faction, its the folks that opposed glasmans changes to the groups constitution. They had their own conference and elected their own steering committee and everything

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

I see you're struggling to understand the concept of non-uniform swings.

Sure I understand the concept.

Doesn't mean I'm going to join you in pretending that there's any realistic chance of your scenario actually playing out.

It's not going to happen.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

kustomkarkommando posted:

I think its a faction within a faction, its the folks that opposed glasmans changes to the groups constitution. They had their own conference and elected their own steering committee and everything
Lansman, not Glasman - the latter is the guy behind Blue Labour, and I can't imagine he has a whole lot of time for Momentum or its supporters.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

Sure I understand the concept.

Doesn't mean I'm going to join you in pretending that there's any realistic chance of your scenario actually playing out.

It's not going to happen.

I agree it won't happen. There isn't going to be an election before 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lansman
Glasman

Glansman

• Locked thread