Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

She didn't start the war, she just introduced Buddhism because she thought it would be a good way to pacify the populace and reduce unrest. It's not like she egged on the Mononobe family to start burning down temples. Frankly, that part didn't help her plans at all. The worst you can accuse her of there, imo, is spreading Buddhism without believing in it. She really considered it nothing more than an opiate for the masses.

She like basically took advantage of the war though didn't she? Like under her orders Futo secretly helped the Sogas and the war was eventually a big win for Buddhism and stuff. And didn't it help obfuscate the fact that she and her pals were secretly studying Taoism to attain immortality or something?.

I guess it was incorrect to say she started the war though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She like basically took advantage of the war though didn't she? Like under her orders Futo secretly helped the Sogas and the war was eventually a big win for Buddhism and stuff. And didn't it help obfuscate the fact that she and her pals were secretly studying Taoism to attain immortality or something?.

I guess it was incorrect to say she started the war though.

Well, historically Prince Shotoku is known as a saint who brought Buddhism to Japan. Naturally, the new religion caused a lot of friction with practitioners of the old religion, which led to a lot of strife which would now be considered terrorism. The Shinto faction was led by the Mononobe clan, and the Buddhist faction was led by the Soga clan. There was never an all-out war, just a lot of unrest until people got comfortable with the new religion over the decades. Ultimately the country accepted both Shinto and Buddhism as complementary religions that can be believed in at the same time, which is still the case today.

The Touhou Twist™ was just that Shotoku never believed in Buddhism in the first place, and merely spread it to cement her eternal rule as an immortal Taoist wizard. She's joined by a representative of both the Soga and the Mononobe, although Futo is implied to be betraying her clan for power. Civil unrest is the exact opposite of what Miko wanted, since the whole point of Buddhism was to make the populace not question anything she did, but she probably just saw it as a temporary thing was was ultimately irrelevant.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 20, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Miko or Kanako are like Trump in that they're demagogues; Marisa is like Trump in personality, in that she's a compulsive bullshitter who says whatever sounds good at the moment and possibly doesn't even really know she's lying.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

CLOWNPIECE

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
of poo poo

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Still waiting for a better photo of that book. I'm actually interested in what Clownpiece's new un-American outfit looks like.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Namtab posted:

CLOWNPIECE

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Rand Brittain posted:

Miko or Kanako are like Trump in that they're demagogues; Marisa is like Trump in personality, in that she's a compulsive bullshitter who says whatever sounds good at the moment and possibly doesn't even really know she's lying.

The main problem with all of these is that Miko, Kanako, and Marisa are all competent. They're not big dumb idiot morons.

So who's an incompetent with a huge ego and a bizarrely large following who has managed to pull of achievements that by all means they should not be capable of?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

She will Make Gensoukyo Strongest-er Again!

e: Seen here with her chief strategist.

Rectus fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 20, 2017

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Miko is also the only one in Touhou in a same-sex marriage.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The main problem with all of these is that Miko, Kanako, and Marisa are all competent. They're not big dumb idiot morons.

So who's an incompetent with a huge ego and a bizarrely large following who has managed to pull of achievements that by all means they should not be capable of?

Okay, I can't argue with that.

The fact that her biggest victory was the result of her opponent blatantly going easy on her without her noticing just makes it perfect.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wild and Horned Hermit 38, in which old plans finally come to fruition.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sanae needs to learn better business sense from her mums.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sanae needs to learn better business sense from her mums.

Well, according to Kasen the Tengu were playing Kanako directly anyway.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
This is what happens when you don't have someone on site to check that they're actually doing what they're supposed to.

Businesses all the world over.

Edit : Also isn't Sanae a science geek? She should know how difficult it is to have a waterfall freeze under natural causes, right?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, difficult doesn't mean impossible. Her flaw here is just that she's too trusting.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Well, according to Kasen the Tengu were playing Kanako directly anyway.

Yeah, but at least there's a bit of give and take there. Kanako's still getting what she wants out of the deal.

Sanae is just getting taken advantage of for being a good person.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I love how lovely all the kappa are so much. Put in the absolute minimum amount of effort, don't make plans, and be a huge skinflint about every single project that isn't one of their weird passion projects.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The chapter in which Kasen is flabbergasted.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I love how lovely all the kappa are so much. Put in the absolute minimum amount of effort, don't make plans, and be a huge skinflint about every single project that isn't one of their weird passion projects.

Remember when she was first introduced in MoF and some fans wanted to believe she was a sweet and shy nice girl just because she was surprised by a human on Yokai Mountain? Good times.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Remember when she was first introduced in MoF and some fans wanted to believe she was a sweet and shy nice girl just because she was surprised by a human on Yokai Mountain? Good times.

Yeah, now the phrase "character assassination" comes up a lot. Their waifu... dead.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

The chapter in which Kasen is flabbergasted.

Welp, pack it up. Sanae guessed her secret.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It's interesting how both manga kind of converged on this same point. They must be receiving some guidance from ZUN; maybe this will be relevant in upcoming games.

We rarely see Tengu society in this series. I wonder how they're benefiting from this? Aya is relatively friendly but I can't see the Tengu selling tchotchkes to tourists.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

HellCopter posted:

It's interesting how both manga kind of converged on this same point. They must be receiving some guidance from ZUN; maybe this will be relevant in upcoming games.

He writes the scripts, the mangaka just do the art.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The only manga that ZUN did not personally write was Inaba of the Moon & Inaba of the Earth.

Edit: Also all but the first from Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red and all of the ones from Strange Creators of Outer World, but I think those should go without saying.

mdct fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 23, 2017

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I guess he just saves all his good ideas for Suzunaan, then :v:
Fantasy land or not, it still took Sanae 5+ years to get the permits for that ropeway.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
SoPM mentions that they've been working on getting approval for the ropeway since at least 2009.

Bureaucracy is a hell of a thing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're Gods. They've got time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Forbidden Scrollery 49! In which there's no such thing as an enemy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Clarste posted:

I can't wait to get home to read this one

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Suzy is going to die.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Reimu is going to kill a child.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm glad that Yukari is here to remind us that Reimu can and will murder you, lest we become complacent and forget that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

On an unrelated note, I was wondering if the book Aya was talking about cancelling was Alternative Facts.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Leave kosuzu alone!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chapter read.

Only one thing to say:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Clarste posted:

everyone dies for a bit at the end of persona

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
We're finally encroaching in on the ending where Reimu just murders Kosuzu and it's worrying :ohdear:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wonder what Reimu's going to do when she realises she's basically a big reason Kosuzu's become more interested in Youkai anyway.

Also, i'm unsurprised it turns out Mamizou purposefully let her identity slip to Akyuu. She was being a bit too obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I wonder what Reimu's going to do when she realises she's basically a big reason Kosuzu's become more interested in Youkai anyway.

I'm not sure how big an influence Reimu had. I mean, Forbidden Scrollery starts with Kosuzu already being an avid collector of Youma books and that's why Reimu put her under surveillance, not the other way around.