Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I geared according to the 50-55 guide on the Maehwa discord, and actually have slighly better gear than that guide. Since the guide implies that said gear should be good all the way to 55 i was a bit surprised/frustrated i got so wrecked at 50, against "green" enemies (which means they are a bit lower level, no?)

I guess i can enchant my Grunil Iron Wall a bit more, all the pieces are +5 at the moment. From what i understand i need additional pieces of Grunil Iron wall (and not just regular Grunil) if enchantments fail though. I have yet to see any enchanted Iron Wall pieces on the TP so buying some high enchants have not been possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Those mobs wrecked my Sorc at 50. I'm surprised your witch breezed through it, but it may be witch skills that have accuracy built in or something. Your Maewha's experience is much more the norm.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wizard and witch do have high innate hit. But they also have the best healing and sustain of any of the classes. Maehwa does have a strong healing ability but it's more finicky to use and if it's on cool down you are hosed

You seriously need more dp on you. At 15 on every part with a mix of grunil and taritas I would still be chunked bad on my DK when I was leveling down there.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 13, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Ineptitude posted:

I geared according to the 50-55 guide on the Maehwa discord, and actually have slighly better gear than that guide. Since the guide implies that said gear should be good all the way to 55 i was a bit surprised/frustrated i got so wrecked at 50, against "green" enemies (which means they are a bit lower level, no?)

I guess i can enchant my Grunil Iron Wall a bit more, all the pieces are +5 at the moment. From what i understand i need additional pieces of Grunil Iron wall (and not just regular Grunil) if enchantments fail though. I have yet to see any enchanted Iron Wall pieces on the TP so buying some high enchants have not been possible.

Try to buy a piece of ultimate grunil or two around +15. There's no point in buying enhanced iron wall because ultimate grunil is just better

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gwrtheyrn posted:

witch/wizard are by far the easiest pve classes to play pre awakening since they have great aoes, great damage, and insane sustain. The guys under the monastery, kzarka shrine, and serendia shrine do not gently caress around compared to the other things in the area, but I think most of the rest of the calpheon content should be doable if maybe a little difficult. It shouldn't be hard to get your DP up though, 98 is barely anything.

Awakened witch is basically "lol content" as you AOE down groups of purple mobs in Valencia with your terrible base hit stats because you just don't care.

Then you go to Gahaz bandits and they die the same speed Catfishmen did.

Opening lighting thing, earthquake stomp, other lightning thing, group of mobs dead. Next group.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 14, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Awakened witch is basically "lol content" as you AOE down groups of purple mobs in Valencia with your terrible base hit stats because you just don't care.

Then you go to Gahaz bandits and they die the same speed Catfishmen did.

Opening lighting thing, earthquake stomp, other lightning thing, group of mobs dead. Next group.

Last time I went into valencia at 55, I got half of my health taken by a single basilisk hit :downs:

That being said, so far fissure wave is my favorite skill, in part because it's the only skill with a flow at 56, so it does like 9000% damage. It has the least accuracy but that damage

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 14, 2017

J
Jun 10, 2001

Valencia is a little bit weird in that if you go in and just naturally follow the questlines, you'll get sent to basilisk and centaurs pretty quickly. Both of which are 2 of the harder enemies there. Even if you're not following quests and just checking out valencia, basilisks and centaurs are both right near the entrance from altinova so you bump into them quickly regardless.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

Those mobs wrecked my Sorc at 50. I'm surprised your witch breezed through it, but it may be witch skills that have accuracy built in or something. Your Maewha's experience is much more the norm.

Well sorc is a melee class (at least my experience playing one to 30ish); my witch killed everything before they got in melee range. Lightining + combo skill then fireball + comboskill would kill most enemies, short of those big skeletons

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Wizard and witch do have high innate hit. But they also have the best healing and sustain of any of the classes. Maehwa does have a strong healing ability but it's more finicky to use and if it's on cool down you are hosed

You seriously need more dp on you. At 15 on every part with a mix of grunil and taritas I would still be chunked bad on my DK when I was leveling down there.

Which skill is the maehwa healing ability?

I mean, carver (E) heals, and i have also socketed it with healing, so it provides an alright amount of healing, but i wouldn't call it a "healing ability".

gwrtheyrn posted:

Try to buy a piece of ultimate grunil or two around +15. There's no point in buying enhanced iron wall because ultimate grunil is just better

I finally finished my Black Spirit quest in the area with the knights in the south west so i could go back to town and buy some +15 pieces. I managed to find 2 +15's on the TP so i bought those and now have 168 DP.
I went down south west again afterwards and fought the catfishmen and breezed my way through all those quests in half an hour, taking no damage.

I haven't looked it up but it looks to me like DP provides a flat damage reduction? If an enemy does 100 damage and you have 90 DP you take 10 damage, if you then increase your DP to 100 you take no damage. I noticed this on my first character which just used whatever i found on enemies. I took no damage at all until i got to the gnoll looking guys just west of the harpies when i started taking damage. I enchanted all my armor pieces a few times and went back to taking no damage.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

loving finally!

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Is PvP competition over levelling spots going to be something I just have to deal with post-50? I've been playing casually just to level and progress and really didn't have any PvP encounters until Mediah where I was ganked a few times. I don't object to pvp, although the flagging/karma system is something I don't know much about. Is there much incentive/disincentive to squashing other players?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Kore_Fero posted:

Is PvP competition over levelling spots going to be something I just have to deal with post-50? I've been playing casually just to level and progress and really didn't have any PvP encounters until Mediah where I was ganked a few times. I don't object to pvp, although the flagging/karma system is something I don't know much about. Is there much incentive/disincentive to squashing other players?

It's not super common outside of pirates and sausans, the two best exp spots for 52+. You can change channels, ask to join their group, or throw your body into them to force them to lose karma by killing you over and over. Very few players WANT to go negative karma, it's called karma bombing and high geared people revile it as horrible to not let them just do whatever they want.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Kore_Fero posted:

If you hit P and look in the top left it'll show how much karma you have. It caps at 300k, and bottoms out at negative 1 million I think. Killing a player by flagging on them costs 60-70k karma or so, I forget exactly. Killing mobs in pve raises your karma. If somebody flags on you and you kill them while not flagged yourself, you don't lose any karma. Dying in pvp doesn't cost you anything if you are positive karma, although some people might try and get you low health and let the enemies kill you for a pve death. For negative karma players if they die outside the desert even in pvp, they can lose exp and have their crystals shattered, meaning most players are not willing to go negative karma. This creates a phenomenon that eltoasto mentioned that people call "karma bombing" where if someone kills you, you just come right back and keep doing what you're doing no matter how many times they kill you, which sends their karma into the shitter in a hurry. A lot of players think this is the most terrible horrible thing in the world but it isn't against the rules of the game or anything they'll just complain and call you a noob or whatever.

The main spots you have to worry about pvp are pirates and sausans. These are considered the 2 best spots for exp and money, and tons of players in this game can't ever bring themselves to do anything but the best, most efficient thing at any given time so they dogpile into those areas and slapfight each other constantly. There are plenty of other spots that aren't nearly as crowded, and still aren't bad. You can almost entirely avoid pvp if you stay out of pirates/sausans, and when you come up to a new area just do a quick circle around the area first to see if anyone is already farming there. If they are, then switch channels or go elsewhere and you can pretty much grind in peace a vast majority of the time.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It happens a lot more on newbie/returning channels than it does in the other ones. There are so many channels that you will usually find one that is empty or just doesn't have people in a particular circuit in the area that you are grinding.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Did they take away warrior Bern armour? It was the best!

J
Jun 10, 2001

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It happens a lot more on newbie/returning channels than it does in the other ones. There are so many channels that you will usually find one that is empty or just doesn't have people in a particular circuit in the area that you are grinding.

Oh yeah I didn't think about the olvia channels, I bet those are a complete clusterfuck at every single grind spot.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

If you want to see what happens when someone has too much money AND a weird fetish, check out the top ranked residence for Heidel 6-4, 1st floor.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Huh they give you a bunch of stuff for taking a DK to 45 (total of 5 million + 3 hards/sharps to 45, which takes an hour or two with the daily XP buffs). Looks like 55 gets you 2 jewelry boxes too. And she seems a fun class so I want to do that. But it looks like it'll have to be self-enchanting up to +15 weapons...not looking forward to that first time experience.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

lurksion posted:

Huh they give you a bunch of stuff for taking a DK to 45 (total of 5 million + 3 hards/sharps to 45, which takes an hour or two with the daily XP buffs). Looks like 55 gets you 2 jewelry boxes too. And she seems a fun class so I want to do that. But it looks like it'll have to be self-enchanting up to +15 weapons...not looking forward to that first time experience.

If you camp the market you can probably find one. I've seen some stay up for a couple minutes late at night but it wasn't ultimate or Rosar/krea

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Are NA and EU servers separate? I seem to be able to connect to both (although the client download has not finished yet, so I dont really know).

Which one do I have to join for Parks and Rec?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

The EU and NA regions are separate. You can play on both if you like with 1 account, but would need to create a new "family" and new characters on each. I am not sure how the IAP currency interacts with this.

The goon guild Parts and Rec is in the NA region.

If you are in EU this is 1 game you might want to consider not playing with goons. I have never seen a less active goon guild (for an european), particularly considering how new this game is. I am used to goon guilds not having a lot of activity since goons are heavily NA centric and rarely have guilds in the EU versions of the game (WoW being the exception) but even in somewhat old MMOs there has been a lot of activity when i have been on. In BDO however it can go literal days between any chatter in guild chat :(

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Ineptitude posted:

The EU and NA regions are separate. You can play on both if you like with 1 account, but would need to create a new "family" and new characters on each. I am not sure how the IAP currency interacts with this.

The goon guild Parts and Rec is in the NA region.

If you are in EU this is 1 game you might want to consider not playing with goons. I have never seen a less active goon guild (for an european), particularly considering how new this game is. I am used to goon guilds not having a lot of activity since goons are heavily NA centric and rarely have guilds in the EU versions of the game (WoW being the exception) but even in somewhat old MMOs there has been a lot of activity when i have been on. In BDO however it can go literal days between any chatter in guild chat :(
Does the worse ping to NA from here make a notable difference for a EU player? Also, are there guild activities (that I would never ever be able to join due to the timezone difference)?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Nektu posted:

Also, are there guild activities (that I would never ever be able to join due to the timezone difference)?
Not particularly. The occasional gather-athon, weekly scrolls (basically shared summon bosses, but pubs frequently organize those too). Basically the guild's there for the +3 to gathering and +1 to fishing.

gwrtheyrn posted:

If you camp the market you can probably find one. I've seen some stay up for a couple minutes late at night but it wasn't ultimate or Rosar/krea
Self-enchanted a Kalis to +15, which went alright. Those are cheap as gently caress (26K), dunno why you'd want a Yuria at 300K per repair (I spent more stones than average according to the charts, and I think I had to throw 20ish fresh weapons for repair, which is a 5 million difference) for basically no difference at PvE. Just the thoughts of a noob enchanter.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

lurksion posted:

Not particularly. The occasional gather-athon, weekly scrolls (basically shared summon bosses, but pubs frequently organize those too). Basically the guild's there for the +3 to gathering and +1 to fishing.
Self-enchanted a Kalis to +15, which went alright. Those are cheap as gently caress (26K), dunno why you'd want a Yuria at 300K per repair (I spent more stones than average according to the charts, and I think I had to throw 20ish fresh weapons for repair, which is a 5 million difference) for basically no difference at PvE. Just the thoughts of a noob enchanter.

Common opinion is that yuria is garbage. Rosar/krea are the new cool items since they supposedly have higher base accuracy, have two slots, and have higher base AP. Honestly the difference between 300k repair and 26k repair isn't the biggest deal since you're blowing like 600k of black stones each time you need a repair.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

gwrtheyrn posted:

Common opinion is that yuria is garbage. Rosar/krea are the new cool items since they supposedly have higher base accuracy, have two slots, and have higher base AP. Honestly the difference between 300k repair and 26k repair isn't the biggest deal since you're blowing like 600k of black stones each time you need a repair.
I mean, that's a 50% difference right there.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Nektu posted:

Does the worse ping to NA from here make a notable difference for a EU player?

I haven't found an ingame ping meter but when fighting tougher single enemies it does seem like there is a ping component to the fights, particularly enemies that stun or knock you down.
Yesterday i was fighting an energetic fat catfishman on my kunoichi and just could not kill him at all. I would be to his side and see him pound the ground and i would get knocked back despite not being hit by the attack on my screen (so the server saw me in front of him)
I also could not kill any cyclopses because of the same issue, they have this aoe centered around themselves that knock players in a direction (i am not sure if it is supposed to knock us back or drag us towards the cyclops) but on my screen my characters keep being knocked in directions that make no sense.
I have not tried fighting enemies like this in EU since i don't play there so maybe this is simply the norm.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

lurksion posted:

I mean, that's a 50% difference right there.

well first off kreas are only 50k and rosars are only 100k, so it's a lot less. there is no reason to be enhancing yuria in tyool 2017. It's like a 15% difference or so for rosar and 5% for krea vs kalis

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 21, 2017

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
How do I go about joining Parks and Rec or whoever is the active guild? I have mountains of questions.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Ineptitude posted:

I haven't found an ingame ping meter but when fighting tougher single enemies it does seem like there is a ping component to the fights, particularly enemies that stun or knock you down.
Yesterday i was fighting an energetic fat catfishman on my kunoichi and just could not kill him at all. I would be to his side and see him pound the ground and i would get knocked back despite not being hit by the attack on my screen (so the server saw me in front of him)
I also could not kill any cyclopses because of the same issue, they have this aoe centered around themselves that knock players in a direction (i am not sure if it is supposed to knock us back or drag us towards the cyclops) but on my screen my characters keep being knocked in directions that make no sense.
I have not tried fighting enemies like this in EU since i don't play there so maybe this is simply the norm.
Yea, that decides it. I guess I have to find my gathering speed upgrade elsewhere.

One question regarding channels: some of the channels have an XP bonus (for catiching up I guess). Do those have special restrictions? Is it possible to move characters to a different "server"?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Nektu posted:

Yea, that decides it. I guess I have to find my gathering speed upgrade elsewhere.

One question regarding channels: some of the channels have an XP bonus (for catiching up I guess). Do those have special restrictions? Is it possible to move characters to a different "server"?

As long as you are eligible for the Olvia channels, you can channel swap to them just like other channels. So you could grind mobs there, then swap to Velia to kill a world boss, then swap back. No restrictions for the time you have access, they don't have bosses and node wars and stuff on them though.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Nektu posted:

Well it is a balance between playing with EU and perhaps having less lag but having to be in a guild with pubbies, or play in NA where you at least play with goons even though there isnt a whole lot of activity in EU primetime.

The Olvia channels have a 100% XP bonus but are only accessible for the first 30 days after your account is created and a maximum level of 58,999. They lack world bosses and node wars.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Umbreon posted:

How do I go about joining Parks and Rec or whoever is the active guild? I have mountains of questions.

I'd like to know this too

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

https://discord.gg/tXJYW48 i think is what we use or at least it's what's in the motd. Get on calpheon 5 channel and bug someone for an invite

we really need to get a discord link in the op or something

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
IMO, despite the low activity, it might be worth just rolling NA if the following conditions apply:
1.) The ping isn't poo poo.
2.) You don't give a poo poo about Node Wars (spoiler: it's mega-AIDS.)
3.) You're pretty casual and don't mind getting killed a few times when someone wants the spot you're grinding in. If they kill you multiple times their karma gets hosed and usually most won't because they're afraid of the chance to de-enchant items.
4.) You're ok with most of the other Goons having low expectations/goals.

There's about 6-10 people usually online although many may be just AFK fishing. We usually will fill the group on scroll nights.
Just about everyone is officer so they can invite and start guild quests.
I'll usually start some GQs when I have time but Mass Effect Andromeda just came out so my activity will be lower than usual for a little bit. GQs cost nearly nothing to start so just drop, pick up new one.

PSA for GQs:
If you pick up a GQ but it's poo poo, don't pick up the same one again. It will be the same GQ. You need to get a different one on that list or wait till the reset (every 10mins)

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
So I remember looking into this game forever ago but I completely forgot about it, could you all try to sell me abit before I try jumping in since apparently it's pay to play for North America.

Is it mostly PvP or PvE?

If I go in blind how high a level can I hit before I realize how useless I am and reroll?

Is it pretty? Like can I just wander around for a while and be entertained? (at least at first when it's new and all)

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

So I remember looking into this game forever ago but I completely forgot about it, could you all try to sell me abit before I try jumping in since apparently it's pay to play for North America.

Is it mostly PvP or PvE?

If I go in blind how high a level can I hit before I realize how useless I am and reroll?

Is it pretty? Like can I just wander around for a while and be entertained? (at least at first when it's new and all)

PvP is crap, PvE is just a nonstop grind or a prettier Farmville.

1-50 is stupidly fast now and you can get a good taste of a class during that time. You have a few free slots you can use for alts. If you want to buy more, you can do it with Loyalty (f2p reward bonus) or with real money.

Quite a good looking game, fairly big world that has a lot of nice environments.

If you want to play I think they had a half off sale for the higher tiers, but it's over now.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

PS if you're going to just get the base package, say something here because I want the polar bear pet but don't want to make an alt account

J
Jun 10, 2001

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

Is it mostly PvP or PvE?

You can get a 7 day free trial from the main page. The community seems to generally think that it is some kinda serious business pvp game when it really isn't, most of your time spent is going to be on pve stuff. The pvp is laggy, desync-y, and gear beats skill, so if you want a pvp game I would recommend trying something else. The pve is good fun though as long as you take your time and enjoy the ride. All the crafting/profession type stuff is available pretty much from the start as well. This isn't one of those games where you have to reach max level to unlock most of the content, there actually is no max level.

Regardling levelling, 1-50 is fast, it slows down considerably 51-56, and then at 56 you get an awakened weapon which is going to unlock a different playstyle and set of abilities. Most classes tend to spend most of their time playing with the awakened weapon, only using the original weapon every now and then for utility type abilities. It's tough to make a judgement call on a class pre-56 because of that.

The game is extremely pretty, if you want to just wander around and ogle at the environments it does that very well. Except in city areas which have fps drops and bad pop-in issues. But overall the visuals are great. And you can run past most enemies without getting hit much so if you want to go to high level areas just to look around you can generally do that so long as you keep moving.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
When I was playing I really liked everything in the game (I stopped because the post 50grind was poo poo). The combat system owns, it's about the only action mmo besides vindictus that actually feels close to a bayonetta/dmc mmo; blade and soul,tera don't even come close.

Leveling up is really enjoyable and the story characters are pretty cool, your black spirit thing that posses you is a huge dick and it's hilarious. He even gets larger as the story progresses.
There's random forage nodes scattered goddamn everywhere, so even when you're exploring weird corners of the map there's actual stuff to get from them, even rare-ish veins of like gold or whatever.

No fast travel is interesting, and your horse becomes really important. Attaching your wagon to your horse (so you can carry a shitload of loot back) and heading off in a direction for a few hours is a weird feeling that only this game has really given me ever.

There's a lot of amazing elements in the game, even if you don't touch endgame so it's worth a shot. If you think of it like breath of the wild or dragon's dogma in that way, it's still pretty good.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I haven't really spent much time in combat since awakened wizard came out. Do the awakened skills do a lot more damage? What awakened skills should I be putting points in and what's the typical combo of abilities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

fletcher posted:

I haven't really spent much time in combat since awakened wizard came out. Do the awakened skills do a lot more damage? What awakened skills should I be putting points in and what's the typical combo of abilities?

Awakened skills have higher multipliers in general--maybe not right away at 56, but as you get the higher levels and especially the flows they start to hit really high multipliers. This is in addition to the fact that MH ap supposedly adds hidden AP to awakening.

I don't play a wizard, so I can't help you as far as combos. At least for witch, I pulled out all of the sp from mh except for healing aura/lighthouse, mma (boss spam), and teleport then added as many sp as i could into awakening. I have a ton of sp leftover, but I don't really use any other skills in mh so I'm just sitting on them

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 25, 2017