Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
On the other hand, after listening to Buck all year, having the TNT or whatever announcers imposed for the Jays' ALDS and ALCS was like having someone take a piss in my ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

But how did Erik Bedard do?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

The Pussy Boss posted:

Giants have some tough roster decisions to make by Opening Day, more so than in recent years.

Mac Williamson and Jarrett Parker are slugging it out for left field, it's been fun. Mac looks ready for his shot, hitting .324/.378/.559, squaring up the ball all spring. Unfortunately for him, Parker's having a monster ST. Hit his 4th dinger last night, way deep off Hisashi Iwakuma, and he's slashing .333/.455/.694. Mac is 26 and still kind of a prospect; Parker is two years older, so less projectable, but he's done more at the MLB level. He's also out of options. I'm thinking they both make the team, and Parker is the Opening Day LF, but playing time is TBD.

Matt Cain is toast. Still has an OK breaking ball I guess but who cares, he can't throw a fastball by anybody. 8.4 ERA and 25 hits in 15 innings, it's been ugly. Ty Blach was getting good results until the Angels babipped him to death the other day. I'm not a huge fan, I think he's a 5th starter at best, but unlike Matt Cain he looks like he belongs in the big leagues. Giants need to DFA Cain and give Blach a shot. If he bombs then call up someone else. I'll be pissed if they give Cain a couple months in the rotation to prove that he's bad. We know that already.

Hwang, the third baseman we signed out of the KBO, might just make the team. He's hitting .321 with 3 HR and getting good reviews from the coaching staff. He's probably the favorite to beat out Kelby Tomlinson, Aaron Hill, Jimmy Rollins, and a cast of thousands for the last infield spot. This is tough because Kelby is easily the best defender of the bunch, and it's nice to have a slick fielding SS/2B on the bench. If Hwang gets it then the backup shortstop is... Eduardo Nunez? Who looked shaky there last year.

You forgot to mention the Giants two best hitters right now are Tim Federowicz and Conor Gillaspie

E: This is important for perspective, imo

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 19, 2017

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I have the opportunity to see a Giants game at ATT Park in April, and I realized the A's are in town that same weekend, so I'm thinking I'll try to complete my California Stadiums punch card. Any recommends on the best places to sit/eat in either park? I know to not sit in the Rivers of poo poo Section at the Coliseum.
At AT&T, the best variety of eating places is behind the center field bleachers, and there's the garden under the video board nearby for even more (salad-y) options.

For sitting, at day games I like the lower box, rows in the 30s, especially on the 1st base side for good shade all day. The club level is nice and swanky, has a lot of good eating and is relaxed and uncrowded compared to the main promenade level. I keep meaning to try out the arcade seats on the Mays Wall in right field, but those seem fun and novel. Also, the 1st row of the 139 bleacher section is a set of seats right on the left-centerfield wall, which are kind of cool and can sometimes be found at a reasonable price on StubHub.

Really, there aren't a lot of bad spots in the park, but I'd avoid view reserve left field due to the foul pole and missing any action in deep left. I also wouldn't sit in the first couple rows of the view box sections, as the railing in front is a little obstructive.

Ticket prices tend to be high, so I recommend looking around on SeatGeek and StubHub and the like. Have fun--it's a great park, and IMHO Renel Brooks-Moon is the best PA announcer ever.

Phonoxen
Feb 15, 2017

As you can see, we've had our eye on you for some time now, Mr. Anderson.

Chris James 2 posted:

I've been looking for a new book to read on my Kindle, and have always been interested in hearing about one team's season/period, or just one period in general in a league. Has anyone read Split Season 1981? That and Dynastic, Bombastic, Fantastic: Charlie Finley's Swingin' A's caught my attention

I could also take recommendations of course

I haven't read either of those, but Joe Posnanski's The Machine fits the bill too. It's about (obviously) the 1975 Reds team.

MerklesBoner posted:

and IMHO Renel Brooks-Moon is the best PA announcer ever.

This is what I remember more than anything about visiting that stadium!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MerklesBoner posted:

IMHO Renel Brooks-Moon is the best PA announcer ever.

I've only been to AT&T Park once but I agree with this 100%.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

IMB posted:

"Santa Maria" is the worst call in sports.

The only way I can stomach the Davis HR in the 8th of game 7 is with the Santa Maria call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z44Zz1UU_FQ

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

On the other hand, after listening to Buck all year, having the TNT or whatever announcers imposed for the Jays' ALDS and ALCS was like having someone take a piss in my ear.

I don't doubt that. Only when nationally televised games recognize Buck's announcing supremacy will baseball be whole. gently caress a Joe Buck.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Didi Gregorius was removed from the Dutch WBC roster because he might have a tear in his rotator cuff. He's being flown to Tampa for an MRI. I'm guessing the Yankees will start either Tyler Wade or Torreyes at SS if he's out for a significant amount of time.

https://twitter.com/therealarieber/status/843850903358787584

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
it's me, I'm the bad person that gets happy when someone in the same division as my team gets injured in the preseason

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

Didi Gregorius was removed from the Dutch WBC roster because he might have a tear in his rotator cuff. He's being flown to Tampa for an MRI. I'm guessing the Yankees will start either Tyler Wade or Torreyes at SS if he's out for a significant amount of time.

https://twitter.com/therealarieber/status/843850903358787584

Is that a rotator cuff tear? That's the first time I've heard it described in shorthand like that.

My brain says they just run Tejada out there until Didi's back, but my heart wants Wade (and also wants him to hit well while he's there.)

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Inspector_666 posted:

Is that a rotator cuff tear? That's the first time I've heard it described in shorthand like that.

My brain says they just run Tejada out there until Didi's back, but my heart wants Wade (and also wants him to hit well while he's there.)

There are four muscles that stabilize the shoulder and form the rotator cuff: the subscapularis, supraspinatus, infraspinatus and teres minor muscles.

Reports are saying that one of these muscles, the subscapularis, has a hematoma. There is a possibility that it's torn, as a muscle hematoma can form due to a tear, which is why he's going in for an MRI.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

IMB posted:

"Santa Maria" is the worst call in sports.

I want to say I've heard worse, but I can't think of any examples and I'm not sure that Berman's "BACK BACK BACK"-ing counts as a call, per se.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
back back back is bad and yet at the same time "up up up and there she goes yes sir she's gone" is great, baseball truly is a game of subtleties

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Walrus posted:

back back back is bad and yet at the same time "up up up and there she goes yes sir she's gone" is great, baseball truly is a game of subtleties

The way he delivers back back back is a prime example of the flaw in American speech in which yelling a thing repeatedly with no variation in volume or tone = emphasis.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I've been feeding my baseball hunger with videos of huge dingers over the winter, and whoever calls Rockies games says "Take a good look, you won't see it for long!" all the drat time. Maybe I'm just annoyed hearing it several times a minute, because there is naturally a lot of Coors footage in huge dinger compilations.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

tadashi posted:

The way he delivers back back back is a prime example of the flaw in American speech in which yelling a thing repeatedly with no variation in volume or tone = emphasis.

Hey, it works for monster truck rally commercials.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

The Walrus posted:

Yes, but is the ball long gone like an ex-girlfriend who will never return?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The Yankees' announcer's "SEEYA" is also terrible.

But to be fair, the Mariners' announcer has some pretty terrible home run calls too.

Buck Martinez is one of the few good home run announcers I've heard.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

But to be fair, the Mariners' announcer has some pretty terrible home run calls too.

Hearing "Boomstick Baby!" less often would almost be worth Nelson Cruz having a terrible year.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Tony Phillips posted:

Hearing "Boomstick Baby!" less often would almost be worth Nelson Cruz having a terrible year.

Nah

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Some Numbers posted:

Buck Martinez is one of the few good home run announcers I've heard.

Git up ball, aaand GONE!

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

YeahTubaMike posted:

I want to say I've heard worse, but I can't think of any examples and I'm not sure that Berman's "BACK BACK BACK"-ing counts as a call, per se.

"Touch 'em all time" is the worst call in baseball.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DIDI NO

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone please hire me to do play-by-play so I can call home runs Quadrangulars

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

TYLER a yellow ribbon around that one! AUSTIN powers it over the wall in right. Yeeeaaaah baby!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
"Hi hits it high. He hits it deep. It. Is. Outta here!" works because Kuiper can change the enthusiasm based on the situation and it makes for build up. It's not the same every time.

Jon Miller's "adios pelota" is charming but that's just because he's your baseball loving great uncle.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Pat Hughes's "It's got a chaaaance...GONE!" works pretty well. I also like that Len Kasper doesn't have a set call, though they're usually punctuated by "Gone!" or "Outta here!"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tom Gorman posted:

TYLER a yellow ribbon around that one! AUSTIN powers it over the wall in right. Yeeeaaaah baby!

Sterling loving sucks but I love puns and especially how tortured his are getting.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'll loving fight you about John Sterling

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'll loving fight you about John Sterling

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the Yankees radio crew. gently caress 'em.

*put up fists*

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Inspector_666 posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the Yankees radio crew. gently caress 'em.

*put up fists*

Your opinion IS HIGH IT IS FAR IT IS GAAAAAAHHHN

WAIT ITS CAUGHT at the warning track

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

you can't predict baseball, zen

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spoeank posted:

"Hi hits it high. He hits it deep. It. Is. Outta here!" works because Kuiper can change the enthusiasm based on the situation and it makes for build up. It's not the same every time.

Jon Miller's "adios pelota" is charming but that's just because he's your baseball loving great uncle.

Miller also has the best "Swiiiiiiiiiiiiing and a miss!" call in baseball.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

Charlie Steiner forums account spotted

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hawk Harrelson's homerun call is actually good because it's so bad. It's like the movie Demolition Man.

Also, I miss Dan Patrick's "the whiff" during Sportscenter highlights. Holy gently caress ESPN still has a catchphrases website up that has it in Real Player Audio format lol.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RHcGWHuThE

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

*wild pitch* Juuuuuuuuust a bit outside

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sydin posted:

Miller also has the best "Swiiiiiiiiiiiiing and a miss!" call in baseball.

Ernie Harwell had the all-time best struck out looking call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Michael Kay is a terrible baseball announcer and I will go to the grave saying this; he ruined Jeter's 3000th hit and never lets the moment breathe

• Locked thread