Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Junkfist posted:

Finn Jones sucked I wish they had cast Idris Elba.

Show would have owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

It reminds me of this guy I know was trying to explain that Vin Diesal's acting was what was holding back The Last Witch Hunter.

Hahaha exactly.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Drifter posted:

Everyone's physicality was fine. I don't understand why people are throwing shade at that poo poo and not at the poor writing and awful choreography.

But no lol this guy can't do mountain pose right or whatever, yeah, that's the sticking point. :rolleyes:

I don't see why we can't do both.

Because I was laughing seeing Danny doing jazz hands as two Russian bruisers look at him in confusion.

And that involves all of the above sucking!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Finn Jones would have been acceptable if the writers had given him something to work with other than childlike confusion, teen "get out of my room, MOM" angst, and "we'll just go directly to the bad guys yet again and hopefully get less wounded this time" planning. He was written too clueless, too innocent, and too slow to learn from the repeated beatings he got from being clueless and innocent. I can already see that he and Daredevil will charge in to do "what's right" and I am struggling to see what would motivate Luke Cage and Jessica Jones to put up with their sanctimonious, self-destructive crap.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gaunab posted:

Some of you guys are being unnecessarily harsh on this/these shows. I mean comparing this show to Arrow and saying Arrow comes out on top? Crazy.

That's goons.txt for ya. The internet told them to poo poo on this show, so they blindly follow along.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Junkfist posted:

Finn Jones sucked I wish they had cast Idris Elba.

Idris Elba is awesome, but he's not enough to make a bad show good. Evidence: Season 3 of Luther.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So the guy who awesomely played the Drunken Master in episode 8?

Marvel turned him down for Danny :ughh:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Rarity posted:

Good. Because Danny's not Asian.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kheldarn posted:

Good. Because Danny's not Asian.

why not

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Snak posted:

It reminds me of this guy I know was trying to explain that Vin Diesal's acting was what was holding back The Last Witch Hunter.

actually that was the best part. vin diesel rules

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Arist posted:

why not

why would he be

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Probably tough to pick the more laughable part of the series but probably picking some hipster dude for the lead who couldn't sell any of the fight scenes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wanna be clear, it's not all Finn Jones' fault. He's bad, sure. As evidenced by how he delivers the mystical lines and how he does tai chi. He's terrible for the role of a mystical martial artist. But the character itself is terrible and incoherent. Danny Rand spent fifteen years training to do battle with magical ninjas, and also occasionally did illegal street fights for money during that time. But he's childishly naive and trusting and is often taken by surprise and has trouble fighting just regular goons Danny Rand is a devout buddhist who meditates every day and spent the past 15 years living an ascetic life of training and beatings, to the point where he can't sleep in a bed anymore. He's also quick to anger when he doesn't get his way, and his primary motivation is taking over his father's multi-national corporation.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wanna be clear, it's not all Finn Jones' fault. He's bad, sure. As evidenced by how he delivers the mystical lines and how he does tai chi. He's terrible for the role of a mystical martial artist. But the character itself is terrible and incoherent. Danny Rand spent fifteen years training to do battle with magical ninjas, and also occasionally did illegal street fights for money during that time. But he's childishly naive and trusting and is often taken by surprise and has trouble fighting just regular goons Danny Rand is a devout buddhist who meditates every day and spent the past 15 years living an ascetic life of training and beatings, to the point where he can't sleep in a bed anymore. He's also quick to anger when he doesn't get his way, and his primary motivation is taking over his father's multi-national corporation.

I think I'd be more forgiving about this story if like Danny was abandoned as an infant and he's coming back to NYC as like in his mid to late teenage years. At least then you could explain the selfish attitude, the lack of social skills, etc...

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Arist posted:

I wouldn't be so sure about that, dude. I don't remember what episode it is but they explicitly reference the dragon.

Sorry but "referencing the dragon" doesn't cut it. Game of Thrones "referenced the dragon" and so did EVERY OTHER tv show EVER since Lost became a success, from 'Heroes' to 'Westworld' and I'm honestly sick of it. Either make an explicitly supernatural show or just go with mundane stuff, don't pretend you're the first when you're clearly the second. Just gently caress TV and its all-consuming tendency to make everything interesting normal and boring. and gently caress 'Supernatural' most of all. I seriously believe it ruined fantasy television series.

Spidder fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 20, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Spidder posted:

Sorry but "referencing the dragon" doesn't cut it. Game of Thrones "referenced the dragon" and so did EVERY OTHER tv show EVER since Lost became a success, from 'Heroes' to 'Westworld' and I'm honestly sick of it. Either make an explicitly supernatural show or just go with mundane stuff, don't pretend you're the first when you're clearly the second, just gently caress TV and its all-consuming tendency to make everything interesting normal and boring.

Did you not notice the part where his fist glows? I think that is explicitly supernatural?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Finished it the other night.
Non-spoiler review: Did not enjoy

Spoiler review for the whole thing

Iron Fist almost sets itself up to be an origin story. There's plenty of people explaining to him what a real Iron Fist can do; telling him techniques, showing him video, etc. So maybe the most astounding thing to me is that they forgot that in an origin story you actually have to, you know, accomplish something. The finale ending it on a note of 'Danny never becomes full-powered and learned nothing' seems such a waste, especially since they had already ended 12 previous episodes on that same note.

I guess even if the destination sucked the journey can still be entertaining, but it just wasn't. The dialogue and motivations are all over the place especially in the opening acts. The character of Danny Rand in particular jumps all over the map from selfish to selfless, naive to competent, happy-go-lucky to furious. The business subplots are completely nonsensical even for a movie based on funny books. There are four (4!) main villains at different points throughout the story and they're all super weak characters to the point where all of them combined don't equal one Tennant/D'Onofrio/Ali. They nearly tease you with moments that make the bad guys interesting (Like Gao being from Kunlun and apparently having Jedi Powers) and then at best have a throw-away line or two before the plot meanders elsewhere.

Anyways, you won't really miss anything if you pass on Iron Fist unless you feel like you need to fully absorb the NETFLIX CANON. Or I guess if you want to see Rosario Dawson in short shorts.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
What if Idris Elba played both Danny Rand AND Harold Meachum at the same time?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's not so much that it's not explicitly supernatural a explicitly cheap with the VFX budget.

It just doesn't work for something supernatural if you don't pull out any stops; loving CW Flash has better VFX, and we even got a killer shark and gorilla.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

homullus posted:

Did you not notice the part where his fist glows? I think that is explicitly supernatural?

I'm on episode two, so no. But I do remember the last Iron Fist comic I read where he was a Super Saiyan in another world, training his chi and fighting in a universal tournament against Kung Fu masters from all the Kung Fu capitals of other dimensions. And then I saw Normie McTelevision doing his Jackie Chun thing in a campy way and was disappointed.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really enjoyed all of Marvel's efforts on Netflix so far but the reviews for Iron Fist are worrying me. Should I bother checking it out? A bad movie I can deal with but I'd rather not get pulled into a lovely series.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They really should've made it so Danny already knew that the Hand was in Rand. They would've only needed to change some dialogue and the early season story would've been better.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished up Iron Fist last night. I would put it on par with Jessica Jones and Luke Cage as far as quality and my personal enjoyment goes. With DD being the peak of the Netflix Marvels.

The final episode of Iron Fist wasn't all that great though and where the budget constraints of the show really seemed to show through for me.

If this show just serves as a prelude of sorts to The Defenders, then it does a decent job of making me look forward to that series.

(Hopefully more time and money is put into The Defenders than all the shows that have lead up to it)

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

OldTennisCourt posted:

I really enjoyed all of Marvel's efforts on Netflix so far but the reviews for Iron Fist are worrying me. Should I bother checking it out? A bad movie I can deal with but I'd rather not get pulled into a lovely series.

Eh... I guess if nothing else catches your eye. Parts were good, but I'd say the majority of it was mediocre. The lead character is badly written, the lead actor is nowhere near up to snuff for what the role demands, the plot is nonexistent, there isn't much of a visual style at play, and overall by the time it was over I just clicked back and said "well, that's over with."

The side characters didn't so much steal the show as just took it from the lead character's hands. I ended up watching it for them about 2/3rds of the way through.

I will say this though: this show was the first since DD season 1 that felt consistent throughout the entire show. Unfortunately it was consistently dull. It didn't get worse, but it just didn't get much better.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

I gave it the full benefit of the doubt and I made it 7 episodes before quitting. Apparently it "gets bad" after that?

I honestly wouldn't recommend the show. There is plenty of much better television to be watching.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I watched the whole thing and drat I want my 13 hours back.

Pros:

Ward was amazing, his actor was amazing. He had real character arcs and development. His motivations made sense.
The actor that played Harold was a great choice.
The drunken master scene was cool I guess. I laughed anyways.
Colleen Wing had a cool arc but the actress wasn't super strong.

Cons:
I couldn't find a motivation for Danny at all.
The fights were TERRIBLE. DD had better fights, AoS, Arrow, hell even Flash have better fights.
Lmao the one cool Iron First powers scene was in the god drat trailer.
Towards the end Joy went from a good character to a very confusing and not good character.
Danny is supposed to be the god drat Iron Fist but he constantly gets thrown around by random mooks and a god drat CEO who only ever trained by hitting a punching bag very angrily
His weird reluctance to kill the Hand
Claire

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 20, 2017

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So, from a story perspective, could someone give a quick little rundown of anything important that would maybe lead into Defenders I should know that happened in the series then?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rarity posted:

Egads! They shot themselves in the dick!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

There are things to enjoy about it -- I really enjoyed the performances of the actors playing Ward Meachum, Colleen Wing, and of course Jeri Hogarth. I enjoyed the Meachum story much more than the Iron Fist crap, and the Iron Fist crap was most enjoyable when Colleen or Claire or loving Ward Meachum was giving Danny a reality check.There are nods to the other Netflix Marvel properties even when the actors do not appear therein, so there's that too? It's not lovely, but it's definitely not good.

As Nero Danced posted:

I will say this though: this show was the first since DD season 1 that felt consistent throughout the entire show. Unfortunately it was consistently dull. It didn't get worse, but it just didn't get much better.

That's a good insight, about consistency.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I watched the whole thing and drat I want my 13 hours back.

Cons:

Danny is supposed to be the god drat Iron Fist but he constantly gets thrown around by random mooks and a god drat CEO who only ever trained by hitting a punching bag very angrily
Claire

I would like to believe Danny getting shittier in fights was due to his chi getting polluted. If by "Claire" you mean the way she was jammed into the story and kept there in a worse way than ever before, yeah.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

homullus posted:

If by "Claire" you mean the way she was jammed into the story and kept there in a worse way than ever before, yeah.

Pretty much. She felt shoehorned just because I feel like her rolodex is gonna be the founding of the Defenders. She still hasn't learned some people need murderin' like say, an immortal psychopath

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This from an interview with Lewis Tan seemed a bit weird to me:

Vulture interview posted:

It’s not like we really get a chance to hang out and chill. I mean, Jessica Henwick was in the gym training with us every day so we got a chance to become friends. Finn and I never really hung out. If he wasn’t on set, he was doing something else because he’s busy. He’s the lead. So we never really got a chance to connect. But as far as when we’re doing our scenes together, I’m just in character. I’m just there, in the zone, focused on what I have to do.

Make of it what you will.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I've only seen the first half, but Joy seems to be that character that's made to suck in superhero shows because no one tells her stuff she should know.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Pros:
Ward was amazing, his actor was amazing. He had real character arcs and development. His motivations made sense.

Yeah, out of all of the antagonists he's definitely the winner. I think a more interesting (or at least more focused) story would maybe just have him and Gao; one enemy of the Daniel Rand persona and one of the Iron Fist persona.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lewis Tan would have been great as the Iron Fist. Like, without even changing him much from his Iron Fist role -- a different mode of spoiled rich kid, you know? A little smoother, a little more grown up, still a fish out of water. I can totally see it. An alternate universe me got to watch him as Iron Fist and it was great.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So talking villains for going forward.

Daredevil Season 3: Kingpin and Bullseye are the most obvious choice, though I'd be down for Typhoid Mary making an appearance.

Jessica Jones Season 2: Absolutely no clue. This is gonna be by far the hardest one as Killgrave is hands down the best villain Marvel's done full stop.

Luke Cage Season 2: Moses Magnum maybe? Comedy Option Mr Fish

Punisher: My dream scenario is them just redoing the Slavers arc.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

daredevil s1 had the same problem. (spoiled since it would kinda spoil the same thing the quoted post is talking about) kingpin's advantage is supposed to be his resources, not his own power, but when he and daredevil fight in the last episode they're put on even ground for no god drat reason. it would have been an interesting ending in its own way if apprehending fisk was super easy for daredevil when he finally caught up to him, but the netflix marvel writers are locked into this absurdly simplistic notion of what a climactic finale is supposed to look like.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Venuz Patrol posted:

daredevil s1 had the same problem. (spoiled since it would kinda spoil the same thing the quoted post is talking about) kingpin's advantage is supposed to be his resources, not his own power, but when he and daredevil fight in the last episode they're put on even ground for no god drat reason. it would have been an interesting ending in its own way if apprehending fisk was super easy for daredevil when he finally caught up to him, but the netflix marvel writers are locked into this absurdly simplistic notion of what a climactic finale is supposed to look like.

Kingpin is actually supposed to be peak human in the comics, like say Cap.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really didn't like this. The character of Danny is just so thoroughly awful. Let me sum up how this looked for an average member of the company. One day, decades after his presumed death, a shoe less hobo barges into the building, beats up security and demands a majority share of a company he never even worked for just because he claims to be the heir of Rand. He has learned no business skills and didn't even go to a high school but through his pure birth privilege he becomes a billionaire. On his first day in office he loses the corporation millions, by making an uniformed executive decision. Producing a drug at cost is a ridiculous idea, since the real expenses aren't in production but in development and testing. He'd know that if he had any sort of training. And from there on he isn't even interested in doing any kind of work. Compare that to the Meachums, who also grew up rich, but still had to fight themselves up there.

Just imagine how the stocks must have plummeted once he got half of them. I have nothing anything against the idea of a rich super hero, but it doesn't really seem like he wanted the company to help it thrive, but rather just wanted to own it because he felt privileged. Actually I sorta dislike Batman for the same reason. He just owns stuff and neglects it. Contrary to that Tony Stark is actually really involved with his company and is an active part of the research and development.

I guess what I am saying is, gently caress rich people who don't even have to study before taking over their parents company.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 21, 2017

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Venuz Patrol posted:

I actually really really dug Kingpin being tough as gently caress in his own way. He's all about brute strength and totally dominating a fight. In the comics it's the same, he's not fat, he's a big as poo poo dude who can beat the hell out of you. It's been a while since I watched season 1, but I feel like him being able to take Daredevil, especially when he's relatively new to the superhero game, makes a lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

cant cook creole bream posted:

Just imagine how the stocks must have plummeted once he got half of them. I have nothing anything against the idea of a rich super hero, but it doesn't really seem like he wanted the company to help it thrive, but rather just wanted to own it because he felt privileged. Actually I sorta dislike Batman for the same reason. He just owns stuff and neglects it. Contrary to that Tony Stark is actually really involved with his company and is an active part of the research and development.

I guess what I am saying is, gently caress rich people who don't even have to study before taking over their parents company.

Bruce Wayne leaves the actual running of Wayne Enterprises to Lucius Fox. He just stays on as the official CEO in order to maintain his secret identity, and to maintain access to Wayne Enterprises resources should he need them in his fight against crime.