Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mostly named Batman because I remember the marketing at the time made a semi-big thing out of giving Bruce Wayne a very distinct fighting style and how there was going to be impressive hand-to-hand combat, and after all that, seeing it on the big screen was decidedly an "uhm" moment. By the time Dark Knight Rises came around they again talked up Bane's fighting style and I just thought "yeah not falling for that again." Editing to enhance action scenes is fine and a lot of perfectly good movies do the thing where you don't see an impact, but thanks to good editing you think you did. It's when you cobble a fight scene together entirely out of individual moves and stunts, while having thematic ties to a genre that lives off "legitimate" fight scenes, that things start to stink.

So, what Iron Fist comics are good? I actually know next to nothing about him, just how the idea for him came up and that he showed up occasionally in the Spider-Man comics I read as a kid, which isn't exactly a unique selling point (I imagine there was a line).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

So, what Iron Fist comics are good? I actually know next to nothing about him, just how the idea for him came up and that he showed up occasionally in the Spider-Man comics I read as a kid, which isn't exactly a unique selling point (I imagine there was a line).
Immortal Iron Fist by Fraction, Brubaker, and Aja.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Batman may well have had impressive hand-to-hand combat, but the main problem was that it's in vogue to quick-cut edit fights to highten the tension of the action scene - an effect achieved because the quick cuts bring the audience into the 'chaos' of a fight and the moment to moment decisions. The whole idea behind martial arts is control and not moment to moment but always having the next moment in mind, and quick-cuts directly undercut the martial artist by making the audience feel like the fight is out of control. If the quick-cuts were focused entirely on the opponents, and the Batman shots were static and held for a few seconds, then the fight would appear a lot more one-sided and enhance the character and by sacrificing the 'tension' of him fighting mooks you could use the editing later to even further heighten the tension during your climactic fight where he actually gets challenged.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my friends last name is Swain and they're naming their kid Bruce and I've been waiting my entire life for this!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

One of my friends last name is Swain and they're naming their kid Bruce and I've been waiting my entire life for this!

They could be more subtle and give him another name that could be shortened to a 'Bru' nickname.
That way he might not wish his parents death at every rollcall.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

They could be more subtle and give him another name that could be shortened to a 'Bru' nickname.

He's gonna wish death on ME. I'm gonna be that uncle (we're really good friends) who showers him in Batman poo poo.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah, that's going to get real old, real fast. Poor kid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's not even a comic book guy, his wife just really likes the name Bruce!

One of my groomsmen named his daughter Rahne (after Wolfsbane) and his last name is Wilson. So his daughter appears to be named after Dwight from the Office and I never miss a chance to bring that up.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Waiting to tell them not to do this, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Waiting to tell them not to do this, right?

After the last two months of my life I need as many smiles as I can get.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How could Wolfsbane have fans?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

How could Wolfsbane have fans?

Scottish furries

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wish they were giant modern inhumans fans http://comicvine.gamespot.com/swain/4005-124556/images/
World, meet Swain Swain.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I told my fiance that if we have any kids I would name one of them Jethro but it isn't because I give a flying gently caress about Deathstroke's son.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Immortal Iron Fist by Fraction, Brubaker, and Aja.
Sweet. Specifically the Fraction/Brubaker/Aja half of the run, I take it?

Episode 4: reporter lady it is 2017 there is the internet. Also it's actually getting kind of sad how the show is obviously trying to hit all the standard kung fu staples but the fight scenes themselves are just kinda there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sweet. Specifically the Fraction/Brubaker/Aja half of the run, I take it?

Episode 4: reporter lady it is 2017 there is the internet. Also it's actually getting kind of sad how the show is obviously trying to hit all the standard kung fu staples but the fight scenes themselves are just kinda there.

No, no, keep reading after Brubaker leaves.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

That fight scene is godawful. Slow clumsy fighting can't even be covered up by those edits. Every punch is just laughably telegraphed. I mean Luke Cage had a bit of that blaxploitation vibe I was really hoping they were gonna have fun with the 70's kung fu thing.

I really wish they would knock the episode counts down to 5 or 8. I wonder if there is certain rules for Emmys or whatever that a tv show has to be considered a certain number of episodes otherwise it falls under miniseries or movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No the rules are that the entire deal signed 4 years ago was for 13.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

No, no, keep reading after Brubaker leaves.
Cheers.

That synth theme they have in Iron Fist feels really out of place too. I keep thinking I'm watching Stranger Things.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

joehonkie posted:

Mr Hootington, pubic works project, bobkatt013, Lightning Lord, do you still want Legion Flight Rings?

Ugh, I don't have PMs so I must divulge PERSONAL INFORMATION. I knew this was a bad plan.

Nah, I already have one. It was just anger about you disrespecting the future's greatest heroes.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

He's gonna wish death on ME. I'm gonna be that uncle (we're really good friends) who showers him in Batman poo poo.

That's loving awesome.

Our niece is named Kara and she gets tons of Supergirl poo poo from us. She loves it.

My wife wants to name any future daughter we have Diana, cuz of Wonder Woman. She's not even a comic fanatic like I am!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't Danny Rand supposed to be a kung fu master? Why does he fight like that?

Because they didn't bother hiring a fight choreographer.

But seriously the only thing I can figure is that no one in charge thought filming good fights was important. In a kung fu show.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 20, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

That's loving awesome.

Our niece is named Kara and she gets tons of Supergirl poo poo from us. She loves it.

My wife wants to name any future daughter we have Diana, cuz of Wonder Woman. She's not even a comic fanatic like I am!

Ooooh! My future sister in law is named Karah and her mom is Lara!

They stared at me like I was an idiot when I brought it up.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I'm gonna name my next kid Seven.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm gonna name my kid The Beyonder and my other kid The Living Tribunal.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My kid's name is Blackagar.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm gonna name my kid The Beyonder and my other kid The Living Tribunal.

Acceptible.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

*whistles and draws a 7 in the air with index finger*

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Ghostlight posted:

My kid's name is Blackagar.

This is only acceptable if your family name is Boltagon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

My family name is also Blackagar.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I can't have kids.

Edit: which is good because I would name them Eel and Woozy.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 20, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hi, these are my beautiful children, The First Couple Years Of Lobdell And Bachalo's Generation X and his sister Cassandra Cain Batgirl But Not The lovely Ones Where She's A Villain

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
*very D_T voice* *showing picture of family* these are my boys Jason Todd and Jason Todd and this little princess is Jason Todd.

*nervous person* who is the other young boy with their face scratched out?

*very D_T voice* that is our Tynion run Jason Todd

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 21, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

*very D_T voice* these are my boys Jason Todd and Jason good and this little princess is Jason Todd.

LoL. Fastest CPS visit in history.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

purple death ray posted:

Hi, these are my beautiful children, The First Couple Years Of Lobdell And Bachalo's Generation X and his sister Cassandra Cain Batgirl But Not The lovely Ones Where She's A Villain

My ugly and brutish child, Larry Hama's Generation X Run, is going to beat the crap out of your kid on the playground

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Tato posted:

My ugly and brutish child, Larry Hama's Generation X Run, is going to beat the crap out of your kid on the playground

This is why abortion needs to be legal.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr Hootington posted:

*very D_T voice* that is our Tynion run Jason Todd

:vince:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
These are my least favourite offspring, Identity Crisis and Avengers 200.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Good to see the editor from Catwoman is still getting work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

My family name is also Blackagar.

If someone can tell me why I did this, I'd love to know.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 21, 2017

• Locked thread