Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

Do you have it dressed up in anyway, or does it just sit there? I'm dying to get one but my SO seems to think it will be unconscionably ugly. I think the utility of it would be so good that I would be willing to suffer a lot of ugliness, but she does not feel that way.
I do not have it dressed up.

Not all of them are this ugly.

Some of them aren't too bad.

I've had mine for years and every time I get a drink of water I celebrate.

e: Forgot to mention that your bottled water company will almost surely rent you a water cooler if you want to try the service before really investing. If you buy your own cooler it will look nicer, have more features, and eventually pay for itself.

AnimalChin has a new favorite as of 21:16 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I would like some very comfortable and also very durable slip on sneakers like these:

I own those in a size 13. For whatever reason while I normally get great fit out of that brand, the toebox in that particular style is too small. I think it has something to do with the stitching across the upper. I would like that, but with a big toebox in a size 13. Thanks fam

edit: not Toms. Nothing that makes me look like some kind of weird hippie, I'm just trying to get through TSA faster

signalnoise has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Mar 14, 2017

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I'm also looking for the exact same thing, shoe size and toebox issues included.

Also, fyi, I recommend the sanuk sidelines for more casual, less durable slip-ons (aka boardwalk/boat shoes)

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

not slip on but oboz hiking shoes are super comfortable and great for the huge toe box i need

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Recommendations for luggage?

I'd like:
Carry on size but bonus if it can expand to larger and check if needed.
Spinner wheels, preferably the rollerblade-style wheels (assuming those are actually good?)
No real preference between hard and soft shell but don't want something too heavy.
Sturdy telescoping pull handle.
Good zipper(s) that aren't going to gently caress up the first time I try to cram in an extra pair of socks.

Basically, just a solid, dependable bag for air travel.

I've been looking at this Delsey; kinda ugly but has good reviews.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
^^^ I highly, highly recommend the TravelPro FlightCrew5 22" Rollaboard.

I'm looking for a laptop bag. My dad gave me his old one when I went off to college a decade ago, and it's now so decrepit from hundreds of trips and flights that I need to replace it. It's had a good run, and I'm hoping to get something similar but nicer:

My needs are:

* Laptop compartment is large enough for a 15.6" laptop
* Separate compartment for chargers and other equipment
* Reliable shoulder strap
* Not completely ruined by a little rain or snow

My wants are:

* Another separate compartment for papers
* Stylish; preference for tan leather

A <$200 price range is ideal; but I'm willing to go up to ~$500 if it'll last me a decade plus.

surf rock has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Mar 17, 2017

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Seconding TravelPro, I've had this one (Crew 9) for years and it still looks like new after 9 or so trips. I also have a bigger version that I check in and it's also like new, while most other luggage I've had falls apart after 3 or 4 trips at most.

As for laptop bags I am using a Chrome Soma bag that is perfect for a 15" Macbook and holds a bunch of other stuff, the sling style strap is really comfortable and reliable.
I know it's not really the style you're asking for, but it's an option that I recommend. It's also pretty good about handling heavy rain, no snow here so I haven't tested that.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I have a Chrome messenger bag in snow and it holds up like a champ, even if you get splashed with slush or go through heavy, wet snow.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

surf rock posted:

^^^ I highly, highly recommend the TravelPro FlightCrew5 22" Rollaboard.

I'm looking for a laptop bag. My dad gave me his old one when I went off to college a decade ago, and it's now so decrepit from hundreds of trips and flights that I need to replace it. It's had a good run, and I'm hoping to get something similar but nicer:

My needs are:

* Laptop compartment is large enough for a 15.6" laptop
* Separate compartment for chargers and other equipment
* Reliable shoulder strap
* Not completely ruined by a little rain or snow

My wants are:

* Another separate compartment for papers
* Stylish; preference for tan leather

A <$200 price range is ideal; but I'm willing to go up to ~$500 if it'll last me a decade plus.
https://www.sfbags.com/collections/laptop-bags/products/cargo-laptop-bag

Ballistic nylon durability with a tan leather flap to match your aesthetic

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Lawen posted:

Recommendations for luggage?

I'd like:
Carry on size but bonus if it can expand to larger and check if needed.
Spinner wheels, preferably the rollerblade-style wheels (assuming those are actually good?)
No real preference between hard and soft shell but don't want something too heavy.
Sturdy telescoping pull handle.
Good zipper(s) that aren't going to gently caress up the first time I try to cram in an extra pair of socks.

Basically, just a solid, dependable bag for air travel.

I've been looking at this Delsey; kinda ugly but has good reviews.

No handle or wheels but Tom Bihn Aeronaut and Tri Star are amazing. (I used to have a wheel and pull carry on and I'll never go back.) They're designed for one bag travel and function extremely well for that. Took a relatively lengthy international trip with them last year and there was room to spare.

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/travel-bags

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Annual Prophet posted:

No handle or wheels but Tom Bihn Aeronaut and Tri Star are amazing. (I used to have a wheel and pull carry on and I'll never go back.) They're designed for one bag travel and function extremely well for that. Took a relatively lengthy international trip with them last year and there was room to spare.

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/travel-bags

Seconding the Aeronaut, it's fantastic.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have had Timbuk2 rollerbag for like 3-4 years now with about ~60 flight ls a year. It has held up great and is a dream to travel with. I bought it on the recommendation of a friend, she has had a set of them for like 7-8 years of constant touring and still loves them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have had Timbuk2 rollerbag for like 3-4 years now with about ~60 flight ls a year. It has held up great and is a dream to travel with. I bought it on the recommendation of a friend, she has had a set of them for like 7-8 years of constant touring and still loves them.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks for the luggage suggestions. bongwizzard, I like the look and layout of the Timbuktu, have you had any problems with the telescoping handle? That seems to be the major complaint in reviews -- that the tolerances are too loose for a ~$200 bag and that it eventually just fails outright.

Leaning towards a TravelPro, going to look through their whole line and see if I can find one that ticks all or most of my boxes.

I'll take a good look at the Aeronaut too but I feel pretty strongly about spinner wheels.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lawen posted:

I'll take a good look at the Aeronaut too but I feel pretty strongly about spinner wheels.

OK so... why? What is it about that kind of luggage you need?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Lawen posted:

Thanks for the luggage suggestions. bongwizzard, I like the look and layout of the Timbuktu, have you had any problems with the telescoping handle? That seems to be the major complaint in reviews -- that the tolerances are too loose for a ~$200 bag and that it eventually just fails outright.

The handle does have some play in it, which imho is good as it lets it function even when it gets full of grit/debris. It seems quite strong and has survived me being a jackass and swinging the entire, fully loaded bag, up into the back of a tractor trailer by the handle.

Really the wheels are the best part, I walk fast as hell and that thing will roll like a champ even on like cobblestone. I usually load it to like ~35lb jammed full and the zippers track smooth and easy even when I have to put my knee on it to close it.

I have the Medium and love it enough that I am buying the Large the next time I get a +2 week gig.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

signalnoise posted:

Uh...going with the obvious answer here. I'd prefer to have a bag that stands upright on its own and can be easily pushed in front of me, wheeled beside me, or pulled behind me with minimal effort. I travel with a backpack in addition to a carry-on bag so the backpack straps on the Aeronaut wouldn't do me much good and wearing a backpack and a shoulder bag at the same time is awkward. If I'm walking a mile from a train station to a hotel or going from one end of the Atlanta airport to the other, carrying my luggage the whole way sounds unnecessary.

I mean, is there some obvious benefit to a suitcase without wheels (or the Aerornaut specifically) that I'm not seeing? Wheels on a suitcase doesn't seem like some crazy idea that should require an explanation.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

signalnoise posted:

Lol, "justify your personal preferences to me!"

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

1redflag posted:

Lol, "justify your personal preferences to me!"

More like checking to see if there's a preference that is covered by something else.

Lawen posted:

Uh...going with the obvious answer here. I'd prefer to have a bag that stands upright on its own and can be easily pushed in front of me, wheeled beside me, or pulled behind me with minimal effort. I travel with a backpack in addition to a carry-on bag so the backpack straps on the Aeronaut wouldn't do me much good and wearing a backpack and a shoulder bag at the same time is awkward. If I'm walking a mile from a train station to a hotel or going from one end of the Atlanta airport to the other, carrying my luggage the whole way sounds unnecessary.

I mean, is there some obvious benefit to a suitcase without wheels (or the Aerornaut specifically) that I'm not seeing? Wheels on a suitcase doesn't seem like some crazy idea that should require an explanation.

That answers it fine though. If you're the type to walk the mile instead of take an uber, or don't check your luggage, absolutely get the one with wheels.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Blankets. I love big bulky and comfortable blankets and could definitely use another to add to my general purpose use/bed for colder nights. I'm in Canada for what it's worth re: shipping and availability.

Ideally it's be something that would be somewhere around the size of a queen size bed, but anything that's generally around that area is fine. Price range is flexible given product, but I'm definitely not springing for those classically made wool blankets that run like 400 dollars, as nice as they may be.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kalsco posted:

Blankets. I love big bulky and comfortable blankets and could definitely use another to add to my general purpose use/bed for colder nights. I'm in Canada for what it's worth re: shipping and availability.

Ideally it's be something that would be somewhere around the size of a queen size bed, but anything that's generally around that area is fine. Price range is flexible given product, but I'm definitely not springing for those classically made wool blankets that run like 400 dollars, as nice as they may be.

Pendleton.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The place I'm moving to is such that the only AC I can use is one of those standup units with a hose. Or I could use an in-window one but I don't think they come in vertical varieties.

It's a two bedroom apartment with a loft so one half has a very tall ceiling. Noise is a factor, of course.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I would like a decently sized beverage center kind of thing that doesn't have a radiator on the back. What's the keyword for no radiator

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

signalnoise posted:

I would like a decently sized beverage center kind of thing that doesn't have a radiator on the back. What's the keyword for no radiator

Not to sound glib, but it seems like you could use a cooler, my dude.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

FutonForensic posted:

Not to sound glib, but it seems like you could use a cooler, my dude.

Those don't cool things, they just keep things cool. It's a grave miscarriage of marketing!!!!!!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kalsco posted:

Here

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

signalnoise posted:

Where is the removed heat (and waste heat) going to go with no radiator?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

taqueso posted:

taqueso posted:

Just feed the coolant line back into the refrigerator so it gets cooled it ain't rocket science

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

taqueso posted:

Fan assisted thermoelectric cooler as the heat/refrigeration source. They don't have an external radiator but do make a lot of noise and take forever to heat/cool about a glass and a half's worth of water.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Geoj posted:

Fan assisted thermoelectric cooler as the heat/refrigeration source. They don't have an external radiator but do make a lot of noise and take forever to heat/cool about a glass and a half's worth of water.

This is what I was looking for and I must say I'm disheartened

Alternatively, I guess you could just put a slotted metal plate behind the radiator so you never have to see it. So I should rephrase, I'm looking for a cooler I can put flush up against a wall without a radiator touching the wall. This is like a 90% aesthetics-based product request.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It would be possible to make the entire exterior enclosure out of aluminum and use it as a radiator. No idea if that exists, but if it does I bet it is expensive.

You can totally build a box (with holes) around the radiator if you have a fan to circulate fresh air past the radiator, maybe even no fan if you get enough air movement from convection.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

This is what I was looking for and I must say I'm disheartened

Alternatively, I guess you could just put a slotted metal plate behind the radiator so you never have to see it. So I should rephrase, I'm looking for a cooler I can put flush up against a wall without a radiator touching the wall. This is like a 90% aesthetics-based product request.

If it's pushed up to a wall, why does the appearance of the back matter?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

If it's pushed up to a wall, why does the appearance of the back matter?

You can see it from the side, and I don't wanna gently caress up the wall with constant heat

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
About to start a dedicated midnight shift so I need pretty much everything that can help you sleep soundly through the day.

My bed room window is set up in such a way that black out curtains are a no go so I'm thinking sleep mask, white noise machine (I live in the city), and some kind of sleep aid. For that sleep aide I'm looking for a tea or maybe melatonin. Nothing too hardcore.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Melatonin is melatonin, one bottle should more than cover you until you are adjusted. Mask wise get one for the moulded ones so you don't have stuff pressing on your eyeballs. Be prepared to replace masks every six months or so, the elastic starts to go.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Chug Zquil and embrace the darkness.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

You can see it from the side, and I don't wanna gently caress up the wall with constant heat

Assuming there is no baseboard molding to make it standoff and that the wall and the floor are reasonably perpendicular to each other, what you can do is push it as close as you can, pull some measurements for what you need to close the gap, and find print shop I can color match and print to a hard substrate like Sintra, or another type of plastic board. Then you can just get some good double face VHB tape and secure it neatly around the sides of the enclosure like a little trim piece. I would absolutely leave the top open of course to let heat vent.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

bongwizzard posted:

Assuming there is no baseboard molding to make it standoff and that the wall and the floor are reasonably perpendicular to each other, what you can do is push it as close as you can, pull some measurements for what you need to close the gap, and find print shop I can color match and print to a hard substrate like Sintra, or another type of plastic board. Then you can just get some good double face VHB tape and secure it neatly around the sides of the enclosure like a little trim piece. I would absolutely leave the top open of course to let heat vent.

And the bottom.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Puppy Bowl posted:

About to start a dedicated midnight shift so I need pretty much everything that can help you sleep soundly through the day.

My bed room window is set up in such a way that black out curtains are a no go so I'm thinking sleep mask, white noise machine (I live in the city), and some kind of sleep aid. For that sleep aide I'm looking for a tea or maybe melatonin. Nothing too hardcore.

CPAP machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Iron Crowned posted:

CPAP machine

Why stop there? Get intubated and put on propofol.