Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

pwn posted:

Exactly, local news. I expect this calibre of pseudo-investigative journalism from Action StormDoppler Team News 6, not so much from NBC News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdE-WzSIGoQ
I used to subscribe to the NBC Nightly News podcast, they're usually about 20 minutes long and almost always have at least 3-5 minutes of fluff piece about supporting some troops by baking them cookies, or how there's a new elderly scam out, or how a little kid raised some money for some huge issue that the federal government won't handle but they frame it as "aww golly ain't that cute? And so American!"

The fact that the host of that podcast shouts for most of the time doesn't help - he's constantly acting like we need to be in a state of panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

coyo7e posted:

I dunno, Sam Bee kills him on viral clip-shares according to my social media feed.

I think the distinction there is the John Oliver has significant international appeal, whereas, anecdotally, I'm only vaguely aware Sam Bee has a show after The Daily Show, and I've certainly never seen a link or video on my feed or in our local media, whereas Oliver is very common.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Tons of women I know share her clips all the time, I think it started with that "Milk" song thing, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would be happy if Oliver and Bee combined their shows because they're both terrific.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

coyo7e posted:

If you only ever played the NES version of Rampage you were done a disservice, man. It was an arcade cabinet game, had WAY nicer graphics and allowed two or three people to play at the same time - you could also beat the poo poo out of other players and then eat them when they reverted to human, and basically force them to use another quarter to play again. I am pretty sure that even my copy of Nintendo Power said "yeah... This game is just nowhere near as good as the arcade version."

There was also Rampage World Tour which I think might've been on Neo Geo or something, it had slick graphics but wasn't as fun a game as the original imho. Also they couldn't put as many windows in the buildings on the NES version so the combat was a little simpler.

Arcade

NES

You've just reminded me how much fun I had as a kid playing that with other people and just refusing to smash buildings but just chasing the other person, beating them up, and eating their human versions and forcing them to start over. Again and again until they just lost it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pararoid posted:

I think the distinction there is the John Oliver has significant international appeal, whereas, anecdotally, I'm only vaguely aware Sam Bee has a show after The Daily Show, and I've certainly never seen a link or video on my feed or in our local media, whereas Oliver is very common.

You're missing out then, Sam Bee's show is hilarious and has the rage that Jon Stewart did that none of the other daily show-adjacent shows really do.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
John Oliver's thing is vigorously taking an opinion, and especially at first drat near calling the viewer if they didn't agree with him. Sam Bee seems less about evangelism and a little more smug, but also actually doing more real comedy.

Stephen Colbert's strength was that he actually understood conservative arguments on topics, and mock-promoted them in a way that also pointed out any glaring logic flaws or deliberately ignored downsides. Both LNT and Full Frontal are like his unified approach to comedy and commentary was split in two and went their seperate ways.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What's nice is we still have Colbert.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I can't loving wait for these zebra videos

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
His Zebra edits were goddamn amazing. The compositing alone was impressive as hell.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Pope Glitterhoof is perfect and there is nothing wrong with that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

bull3964 posted:

I hate the piano+obnoxious laughing from the band guy after every joke on that show. I get that it's always been a "thing" for the late show but it always comes across to me as forced.

Anyway I liked the zebras on lwt but felt like that segment went on about twice as long as it needed to. It wasn't as bad as when he drove the drumpf stuff into the ground but by the end I was still pretty tired of it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I hate the piano+obnoxious laughing from the band guy after every joke on that show. I get that it's always been a "thing" for the late show but it always comes across to me as forced.

Anyway I liked the zebras on lwt but felt like that segment went on about twice as long as it needed to. It wasn't as bad as when he drove the drumpf stuff into the ground but by the end I was still pretty tired of it.

A lot of stuff on Letterman was forced, which was the joke. Doing the same thing Dave did because Dave did it sort of misses the point.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Late Show is bad. I like Colbert and always will but network TV is poison to a show's quality in the current year

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I get that it's always been a "thing" for the late show but it always comes across to me as forced.

And that's why The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson was by far the best late night show.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've mentioned this before but it's the audience that ruins Colbert for me. There was a slight feeling of anxiety when I watched the show because the audience was constantly wound up to launch into another 20-second cheering and whooping session and then Colbert mentions that it's Friday or that beer or weed exist or there's a slight pause and off they go. I actually got really good at skipping ahead in the show exactly to the point where the noise died down but it became too insufferable so I stopped watching the show.

E: Whoops, this isn't the late night thread at all. Oliver's audience is all right in comparison. And I liked the zebras.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

I made a zebra video because I would like to be on the tee vee box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xQAP_lwn0Q

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

MasterSitsu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xQAP_lwn0Q

They Should Have Sent A Poet

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I hate that as well, but in Jon Batiste is actually genuine about it. Not that it makes me dislike off-camera-pianoman-laughing any less, but if there's one thing about Jon, it's that he's a pretty genuine fellow. And i've rarely ever seen a group of people that seem to enjoy music so drat much, it's almost nauseating.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
It pains me to admit it, but Colbert is significantly weaker as a late night host. And the jokes are a lot miss than hit. The one where he busted out a guy that looked vaguely like Hillary's running mate to see if people couldn't tell the difference was pretty good though. And the crowd is definitely like Bill Maher tier of incredibly loving obnoxious when he does a dig on anything related to conservatives

Sam Bee is pretty funny too but gets kinda preachy. But she does use a song from Peaches, one of the weirdest loving musicians on earth but is also kinda incredible as her theme

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 21, 2017

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Fox News pulls Judge Napolitano over his Trump wiretap claims. I'd link it, but it's the LA Times website and is employing adblocker-blocker garbage to prevent you from seeing the article without whitelisting them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Seth Meyer's Closer Looks have been consistently more entertaining and intelligent than whatever Colbert's been doing on his show regarding the news.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Also me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qqH761XfBA

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

To be fair, Oliver didn't really drive the Drumpf stuff into the ground; dumb people on social media did.

Drifter posted:

Seth Meyer's Closer Looks have been consistently more entertaining and intelligent than whatever Colbert's been doing on his show regarding the news.

Colbert's been ridiculously on-point for the last few weeks. (before 2017, I'd agree, though)

Majorian fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 21, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Majorian posted:

To be fair, Oliver didn't really drive the Drumpf stuff into the ground; dumb people on social media did.

Colbert's been ridiculously on-point for the last few weeks. (before 2017, I'd agree, though)

Colbert found his balls again after his 2016 "let's try good-faith centrism for a spin" stint wandering the desert. He's better, but he seems a little....broken? now.

LWT and A Closer Look are doing fantastic work of factually revealing doublespeak and bullshit. The Daily Show is getting pretty good, too.

Samantha Bee has even worked the couple of nights I've wanted to start strangling people.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Majorian posted:

Yeah the Drumpf thing was like a 3 minute bit that went viral. The only time I ever heard Oliver mention it again was when he went on Colbert or Fallon and said Jay Z asked them for a hat.

My theory on Colbert was the CBS (like all the other networks) was afraid of politics because of how polarizing it can be and was basically muzzling him on that topic, so he tried to do the traditional talk show stuff. When he did go political, ratings went up and CBS finally decided to let Colbert be Colbert, and thats why he has been so good lately.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Drumpf thing was just one regularly paced and toned segment that just hit enough of a chord that it went viral (which always means nerds running it into the ground) and then got a huge backlash from the Trump people who seemed to actually be bothered by it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

swickles posted:

My theory on Colbert was the CBS (like all the other networks) was afraid of politics because of how polarizing it can be and was basically muzzling him on that topic, so he tried to do the traditional talk show stuff. When he did go political, ratings went up and CBS finally decided to let Colbert be Colbert, and thats why he has been so good lately.

Is there anything - anything at all - to indicate CBS was muzzling him? My impression from Colbert's interviews with other media from last spring through the election was that he was giving nonpartisianship an earnest go. Interviews in late Nov through January have him not picking sides but heavily disturbed by next-gen Truthiness.

Given that this election came down to false equivalencies and 80k voters, I can't help but wonder how America would look different right now if John Stewart and Colbert Colbert had stayed on with Comedy Central one final election and held "I would have voted Obama a third time" crossover protest voters to reality. We might be all up in arms about Merrick Garland's moderate tendencies as opposed to the full-force constitutional crisis of the muslim bans, Sean Spicer bringing 1984 to life, and the ostrich head-in-sand stance on climate change that is turning off atmospheric survey satellites.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you think Colbert and Stewart could have had any sway at all with the election, you are pants on head crazy.

The election was decided by people who don't even know who those two are.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I think election night just broke Colbert a bit and he gave up on hosting a non-partisan show. Fortunately his show is a lot better as a result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT4MZLl0v_c

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not sure I even like the framing of what Colbert is doing as rejecting being non-partisan. Calling Trump on his bullshit is called being a rational human with empathy and shouldn't be aligned on party lines.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'll check out some recent COlbert shows if you guys say he's found his teeth again. I just tuned out hard when he stopped being funny and smart way back when.

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure I even like the framing of what Colbert is doing as rejecting being non-partisan. Calling Trump on his bullshit is called being a rational human with empathy and shouldn't be aligned on party lines.

Trump's bullshit, but the GOP is for sure enabling that crap to slink their petty poo poo through.

Trump's a stupid bully and the GOP is the corrupt principal that doesn't give a poo poo about it so long as they can avoid the blame.

The dems are the spiteful special needs kid who would be a bully if they could, but they lack the coordination.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its less "partisan" then it is that Colbert seemed to be making a concentrated effort to stay largely apolitical pre election so he didn't turn away one side or another. After Trump he just seems to have embraced that politics are too much of current life and too extreme to stay on the fence like he was. And Trump is such a blatant liar, bully, and buffoon that any fair representation of him is negative.

A lot of shows and hosts really went through that. I remember watching even like sports shows going through this weird process post election where they didn't feel it was the place to talk politics but they also felt like they couldn't ignore it.

Its just more of a constant and noticeable thing with Colbert since he was political before he wasn't.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I can't be arsed to dig up links right now, but Colbert was very, very, transparently clear about being anti-Trump well before the election.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MasterSitsu posted:

:stare: These are both amazing. God bless both of you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mental Hospitality posted:

:stare: These are both amazing. God bless both of you.

Yeah I'm expecting to see both of these on TV this Sunday night

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I'm expecting to see both of these on TV this Sunday night

*Next* Sunday. They're off this week. :(

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

timp posted:

I can't be arsed to dig up links right now, but Colbert was very, very, transparently clear about being anti-Trump well before the election.

He was. It wasn't until Trump got elected that he also gave us Spicer press conferences and Kellyanne being on TV all the time and other comedy staples. There was all that Hunger Games crap and his appearances at the conventions.

Trump stuff has given Colbert improved numbers, and the other week Letterman told an interviewer that if he still had the show he'd be talking about it every night and asking aloud if the world had gone mad. If the network wanted him to avoid Trump, that's gone now.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

timp posted:

Being anti-Trump is one thing, but not doing the Colbert dry decoding of red hypocrisy is another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

bull3964 posted:

If you think Colbert and Stewart could have had any sway at all with the election, you are pants on head crazy.

The election was decided by people who don't even know who those two are.

To avoid getting back into what classes and backgrounds comprised the Obama Coalition red states refer to, it should be sufficient for us to agree that much of the young generation of otherwise well-educated, well-informed Obama voters drank the Both Sides koolaid and dropped out this time, yes?

• Locked thread