Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Groovelord Neato posted:

speaking of specre what was the original third act that the execs were upset about in the email leaks? i'm a huge bond fan and man was that movie just a loving mess. i don't know how the reveal of who blofeld was got past an initial brainstorming sesh.

the only good part of the movie is that hinx's death is a reference to jaws (the movie). i hope it was intentional.

My favorite part of the movie was when Bond walked in on the council of doom or whatever they were called and they're just listing off all these cartoonishly evil acts like it's an ordinary board meeting. It was kind of hard to take things seriously after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

and then hinx gouges out a guy's eyes to take his seat after he fucks up lmao.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

If Catherine Hardwicke had directed it I would go see it on that alone. Bill Condon's movies are a total coinflip so I'll you guys tell me if it's worth my time.

Apparently Cinderalla is good because of Kenneth Branagh. Haven't seen it though...

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Cinderella is all right, but it wastes Hayley Atwell and that is a crime.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

21 Muns posted:

They advertised this and a lot of naive journalists wrote enthusiastic thinkpieces about it, but then it turned out that she was a one-scene character and the movie actually had a main character Bond girl who's a little girl again
I'd say that's pretty typical of secondary Bond girls. At least they didn't kill her off.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

My favorite part of the movie was when Bond walked in on the council of doom or whatever they were called and they're just listing off all these cartoonishly evil acts like it's an ordinary board meeting. It was kind of hard to take things seriously after that.
Yeah but that's basically what happens in Thunderball too. Biggest problem with Spectre for me is that they were trying to make a throwback movie so you have so many scenes and characters that solely exist for the purpose of being callbacks or references and a pointless twist lifted straight from Star Trek Into Darkness/Austin Powers that nobody would ever care about.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"Hey, let's get 2 time Oscar winner Christoph Waltz to play an iconic Bond villain in this movie."

"Great idea!"

"Yeah! And let's have him in the movie for about 13 minutes."

"Hell yes!"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gonz posted:

"Hey, let's get 2 time Oscar winner Christoph Waltz to play an iconic Bond villain in this movie."

"Great idea!"

"Yeah! And let's have him in the movie for about 13 minutes."

"Hell yes!"

It's a shame they didn't even consider Forest Whitaker as Blofeld. I mean, he's already got the weird eye.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To be fair, those 13 minutes were really good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Considering Eddie Murphy's Dr Doolittle had sequels and spinoff, maybe RDJ is hoping this could be his new franchise after Iron Man.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

feedmyleg posted:

Digital color grading didn't exist when they shot The Matrix..
Yeah, the w siblings knew the living poo poo out of film, before Bound came out I read an amazing article about how they shot parts of it with ends of no-longer-made stocks to get specific looks.

Digital grading is great, I wouldn't have by job without it, but drat I miss geeking out on this kind of poo poo.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Or that stupid gurgling sound when Smith slo-mo walks into the scene.

Edit: just watched the Burly Brawl again and one thing I never really notice before but which is bothering me now is how none of the Smiths stay down. No matter how savage the blows Neo dishes out, they all get up again. The place should be littered with broken Smiths, or better yet his broken hosts. That would have been a horrific visual and a much better reason for Neo to retread.

The sequels are espescially cartoony compared to some of the beatings the characters take in the first Matrix.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

Considering Eddie Murphy's Dr Doolittle had sequels and spinoff, maybe RDJ is hoping this could be his new franchise after Iron Man.

Would RDJ even want another franchise? He's well past however many movies were in his original contract, so he's been making movie star money again for quite some time, god knows the only reason they wouldn't cast him as Iron Man would be if he said no, and the physical demands of the role aren't exactly the same as any of the Chris's.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Both RDJ and Gaghan are recovering addicts who may have been looking for a project to do together for a while now. I wouldn't be surprised if Mel Gibson somehow gets a small role.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Neo Rasa posted:

I forget, didn't they even end up going back and re-coloring the first one so that the in-Matrix scenes matched the look of the sequels more or something?

Did they ever.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Did they ever.

nah

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Grendels Dad posted:

Or that stupid gurgling sound when Smith slo-mo walks into the scene.

Edit: just watched the Burly Brawl again and one thing I never really notice before but which is bothering me now is how none of the Smiths stay down. No matter how savage the blows Neo dishes out, they all get up again. The place should be littered with broken Smiths, or better yet his broken hosts. That would have been a horrific visual and a much better reason for Neo to retread.

The thing that gets me is the Foley effects for punches and kicks. They're all so... 'whippy'. There's no weight to them at all.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Also, the fight is completely pointless and resolves nothing. It's not even clear what both of them were trying to do. Especially since Neo is on the defensive immediately and could have escaped at any time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, the fight is completely pointless and resolves nothing. It's not even clear what both of them were trying to do. Especially since Neo is on the defensive immediately and could have escaped at any time.

I guess at the onset of the fight Neo's motivation to stay was "I kicked this guy's rear end before and now I'm god, this will be easy!" I actually like how the fight had a sense of escalation with the ever increasing number of Smiths, and I like how they get more and more punches in on Neo. Of course Neo isn't affected by them but that's because he's god, the idea was clearly "constant dripping wears the stone".

One of the reasons the fight fails is because Neo has no reason to leave. Yeah he gets dogpiled and realizes that he could spend the rest of the day kicking Smiths around... but why wouldn't he? He's clearly able to, he has this Hulk-out moment and simply flies off because picking off Smiths from the air or hurling cars at them from above is too difficult I guess. He simply stops fighting them and then everybody shrugs and goes back to the main plot.

Samovar posted:

The thing that gets me is the Foley effects for punches and kicks. They're all so... 'whippy'. There's no weight to them at all.

I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same effects as for the Smith/Neo fight at the end of the first movie, making this a problem of finding the right balance. One whoosh sound every two seconds might be OK, but they were just wildly mashing the whoosh sound button during the Burly Brawl.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What will Cruise get up to now?

https://twitter.com/chrismcquarrie/status/843975214203650048

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

He's probably going to free fall from the mesosphere.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Human Centipede 4, he's going to stick his head up his own rear end.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 21, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Did they ever.

This is garbage and I really wish there was a de-graded version.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Josh Lyman posted:

This is garbage and I really wish there was a de-graded version.

I think you're already looking at the degraded version.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I think you're already looking at the degraded version.
Acceptable execution of pun setup.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy Mann posted:

Did they ever.

Fuckin A, this is almost as bad as what they did to Do The Right Thing or Flex Mentallo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Fuckin A, this is almost as bad as what they did to Do The Right Thing or Flex Mentallo.

After the Flex atrocity I'm scared to even look at the rerelease of Miracleman. I don't know if my heart could take it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Yesss

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

He's probably going to free fall from the mesosphere.

Run so fast that he burrows through the earth's core, runs up into Hong Kong, gets the movie into china.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shageletic posted:

Run so fast that he burrows through the earth's core, runs up into Hong Kong, gets the movie into china.

Finally outrun all those pesky body thetans?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

DeimosRising posted:

After the Flex atrocity I'm scared to even look at the rerelease of Miracleman. I don't know if my heart could take it.

I haven't heard about Miracleman being recolored and it looked fine to me, although I don't have the originals to compare them to. It's worth noting Miracleman was reprinted by Marvel, who I don't think does the aggressively bad recoloring that DC does.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

GrandpaPants posted:

I haven't heard about Miracleman being recolored and it looked fine to me, although I don't have the originals to compare them to. It's worth noting Miracleman was reprinted by Marvel, who I don't think does the aggressively bad recoloring that DC does.

It was definitely totally recolored digitally. I have seen exactly one comparison page and it's similar to Flex in that it is a completely changed palette.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This and DtRT are the examples I always point to when this comes up. It's offensive.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

weekly font posted:

It's offensive.

I know what you mean, but I'm now imagining someone messing with Do The Right Thing's visuals so bad every character becomes white.

Violator
May 15, 2003

weekly font posted:

This and DtRT are the examples I always point to when this comes up. It's offensive.

My GoogleFu is failing me, what did they do to Do the Right Thing? Any examples?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandpaPants posted:

DeimosRising posted:

It was definitely totally recolored digitally. I have seen exactly one comparison page and it's similar to Flex in that it is a completely changed palette.

Miracleman:

Batman: The Killing Joke:

Flex Mentallo:

The Incal:

Just suck allllll the life out of that art, boys! Beige beige beige is the way!

Edit: Jack Kirby art? Larger than life? gently caress that, let's drag it back down to regular ground level!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 21, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Miracleman:

Flex Mentallo:

The Incal:

Just suck allllll the life out of that art, boys! Beige beige beige is the way!

Those Incal and Killing Joke pages are abominable but the first MM is the worst because the original color job isn't even very good and they STILL made it worse. The Dream of Flying title page is tragic. Please don't post any Totleben pages. If they do Swamp Thing I'll go on a rampage

Edit: just saw your edit. I'm dead

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

:stare:

The only explanation I can possibly imagine for this is that the remaster team outright lost the original coloring, and figured "gently caress it, it doesn't matter, we can just guess what the original colors were based on context" because they were very bad at their job.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

21 Muns posted:

The only explanation I can possibly imagine for this is that the remaster team outright lost the original coloring, and figured "gently caress it, it doesn't matter, we can just guess what the original colors were based on context" because they were very bad at their job.

It was actually overseen/produced by Brian Bolland, the original artist. The Flex Mentallo recolor was also done, according to Doherty, "in close collaboration" with Quitely. Pretty odd.

Most of these edits are explicitly/intentionally done to make the comics look more 'modern' which in the 2000s means muted more realistic colors. Not saying that to defend it, but I don't think they set out trying to recreate the colors at all. They probably got directed to get rid of some of the more 'garish' colors of the originals or whatever, for presumably stupid reasons.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Electromax posted:

It was actually overseen/produced by Brian Bolland, the original artist. The Flex Mentallo recolor was also done, according to Doherty, "in close collaboration" with Quitely. Pretty odd.

Most of these edits are explicitly/intentionally done to make the comics look more 'modern' which in the 2000s means muted more realistic colors. Not saying that to defend it, but I don't think they set out trying to recreate the colors at all. They probably got directed to get rid of some of the more 'garish' colors of the originals or whatever, for presumably stupid reasons.

He didn't do the original colors, so that's misleading. He's still replacing another artist''s work. Almost inevitably, if the penciller and/or inked is not a colorist, they just try to make the colors bland to emphasize their linework. Would have sucked less to just release the inked pencils uncolored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DeimosRising posted:

He didn't do the original colors, so that's misleading. He's still replacing another artist''s work. Almost inevitably, if the penciller and/or inked is not a colorist, they just try to make the colors bland to emphasize their linework. Would have sucked less to just release the inked pencils uncolored.

It's pretty much the same as re-releasing a classic old song but replacing one of the musicians. It becomes a different work of art. "Eh, that drummer is a bit too 60s for modern audiences, replace it with a drum machine and slow it down 20%."

DeimosRising posted:

Edit: just saw your edit. I'm dead

:tipshat:

• Locked thread