Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, I think Adams said that he wanted to keep each different incarnation of the story fresh so you have a reason to experience all of them.

A poster:

http://i.imgur.com/qtaXWK8.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Book to movie chat:
I saw someone post this to my Facebook a while ago and I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
A stack of discs that high could fit WAY more information than that book ever could!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Book to movie chat:
I saw someone post this to my Facebook a while ago and I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough:

Jesus Christ

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Mr. Glum posted:

I don't know how he was in the mini-series, but Steven Weber did a hell of a job on the audio book of "IT".

... really? I couldn't stand his narration. I got about 30 hours into the audiobook before I just had to stop. I couldn't stand to listen to him speak another word. He was so insistent on showing off what an ACTOR he is, doing a unique voice for every single character, each one more grating than the previous. Thankfully audible is incredibly forgiving about giving you your money back if you don't like the book.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

A stack of discs that high could fit WAY more information than that book ever could!

I don't think I have a book on my kindle that goes over an MB.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bobby The Rookie posted:

lol, Dwayne "Johnson." Good one, poster.

Is the other one "vas efrons"?

Good time to remind people of this masterpiece of a poster:

Other stuff:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What's Shudder?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Vagabundo posted:

What's Shudder?

I assume one of the thousands of new streaming services that's desperate for netflix bucks

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Netflix but for horror.

I hear the selection is great but the UI is wonky.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Detective No. 27 posted:

Book to movie chat:

That's an astonishingly clean cut.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Squishy posted:

Out of interest can anyone think of an adaptation where reading the book is preferable?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Detective No. 27 posted:

Book to movie chat:

Is there a lot of great stuff in the Harry Potter books that didn't make it into the movies? They should've used Lord of the Rings instead. Even the super extended editions of those don't have Tom Bombadil, tragically.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is there a lot of great stuff in the Harry Potter books that didn't make it into the movies? They should've used Lord of the Rings instead. Even the super extended editions of those don't have Tom Bombadil, tragically.

The only real thing I can even remember being cut was Peeves the Poltergeist.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I seem to recall that by the 4th or so book, JK Rowling wrote so much stuff that did not really tie in with the main plot that they can be safely ignored for the movie (although certain things did turn out to play a part in the final book). Hermione's house-elf-rights activism is one of the bigger things I remember.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

One of the few adaptations where it might be quicker to read the book.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skwirl posted:

One of the few adaptations where it might be quicker to read the book.

It's almost faster to read the book out loud. The three Extended Edition movies have a combined running time of 9h2m. The unabridged audiobook of The Hobbit is 11h2m.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Jedit posted:

It's almost faster to read the book out loud. The three Extended Edition movies have a combined running time of 9h2m. The unabridged audiobook of The Hobbit is 11h2m.

I'd like to see a sentence by sentence adaptation of something. Sentences where it's just someone thinking have to be close ups of the character's face, or you can do cheesy Dune voiceover.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Nihonniboku posted:

... really? I couldn't stand his narration. I got about 30 hours into the audiobook before I just had to stop. I couldn't stand to listen to him speak another word. He was so insistent on showing off what an ACTOR he is, doing a unique voice for every single character, each one more grating than the previous. Thankfully audible is incredibly forgiving about giving you your money back if you don't like the book.

30 hours? How long is that thing??

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

THE BAR posted:

Well the book's definitely over a thousand pages, so that checks out.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Schwarzwald posted:

That's an astonishingly clean cut.
It's CG.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rahonavis posted:

I must add "The Golden Compass" to the Book Is Better pile.

That movie they literally removed the climax and big twist from the movie during postproduction in order to have an exciting opening to the sequel. Which of course never got made because the movie was so mediocre and didn't really have an ending. Even a bunch of the trailers have shots from the completed, fully special-effect-ed ending.

Fortunately, the Beeb is making a series.

Guy Goodbody posted:

More that it's missing a whole bunch of the slice-of-life stuff that happened around the main plot during school which filled out the characters more.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Yeah. It's been a while since I read the series, but the Harry Potter films cut out most of the incidental scenes meant to give the protagonists more personality and fill out some of the background characters. The Dursleys and their awful parenting make up significant portions of each book. Many of the teachers and staff at Hogwarts get backstories. Hermione starts a house elf civil rights movement and Ron becomes a sports star. J.K. Rowling has always been better at writing characters and dialogue than plotting, in my opinion, so I understand some of the angst, but nothing substantive is really lost in translation. The worst cuts, to my knowledge, involve Peeves and the slow reveal that Dumbledore was an extremely lovely person who manipulated everyone in his life.

I would have actually preferred it if the films had gone the Douglas Adams route and done their own thing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Netflix but for horror.

I hear the selection is great but the UI is wonky.

Depends on the service you use. You can get it through Amazon as a "channel" and their UI ain't that great, but the player is good. If you get Shudder through Shudder's website you can't use the Amazon "channel" but you can use Shudder's app where I hear the UI is a bit better, but the player is worse. On my Fire TV it works well, I usually search for a specific movie so the browsing UI isn't a big deal. The selection is incredible and gets better every week for horror fans.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

THE BAR posted:

45 hours.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

tvgm2 posted:

45 hours.

That's a lot of listening to do!

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

The Big Bounce was better than the book, even though both the book and the movie were not the best things. Be Cool and Get Shorty were pretty close to equivalent to their books but with Be Cool being worse while Get Shorty was better. Jackie Brown is much better than Rum Punch. Out of Sight as well. Also, I can't believe loving Elmore Leonard has 21 film adaptations. I haven't even seen half of them. A lot of them are westerns though.

As for another crime novel author, Donald Westlake, I am of the opinion that Whats the Worst That Could Happen with Martin Lawrence and Danny DeVito was more enjoyable as a movie than a read - The book has a lot of cruft the movie cuts out. Payback is not as good as The Hunter.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.

MacheteZombie posted:

Depends on the service you use. You can get it through Amazon as a "channel" and their UI ain't that great, but the player is good. If you get Shudder through Shudder's website you can't use the Amazon "channel" but you can use Shudder's app where I hear the UI is a bit better, but the player is worse. On my Fire TV it works well, I usually search for a specific movie so the browsing UI isn't a big deal. The selection is incredible and gets better every week for horror fans.

Don't mean to go off topic but while I love Shudders selection and ShudderTV is great for background noise, I can't get the player to actually play consistently. I don't have a problem with the UI (and apparently the app isn't out here yet) anytime I go to play the video doesn't load fast enough. And the videos don't buffer!? So it stops every 2 minutes to load for 5.

My internet speed is fine, this is the only streaming service I have had issues with and it sucks because I would be using it every day if I could.

Have you had this issue?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ravenkult posted:

My pet theory is that King identifies with Jack and like any other alcoholic, would like to downplay the lovely things he has done to his family (I mean, I assume he's done some lovely things, I'm not saying he broke his kid's arms or anything). So Jack isn't supposed to be a ''bad guy'' because that would mean he himself is a bad guy too.

</armchair psychology>

A few years ago King wrote a sequel to The Shining called Dr Sleep, which followed a grown-up Danny dealing with his own crippling alcoholism, working as an orderly in a retirement home using the Shining to help people pass away peacefully, and fighting psychic vampires (!) with the help of a little girl with super powerful Shining abilities that she channels by pretending to be Kahleesi from Game of Thrones(!!!). It was OK as far as late-life King books go but the way it handled Jack definitely lines up with your interpretation since now that he's 20-odd years sober King has pulled a complete 180 on how he views him and now he's such an irredeemably monstrous presence that the climax of the book is Danny using his Shining to channel the spirit of his dead dad as unstoppable tornado of rage that brutally kills all the vampires and is so toxic that just summoning him almost kills him.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

the popular kids posted:

Don't mean to go off topic but while I love Shudders selection and ShudderTV is great for background noise, I can't get the player to actually play consistently. I don't have a problem with the UI (and apparently the app isn't out here yet) anytime I go to play the video doesn't load fast enough. And the videos don't buffer!? So it stops every 2 minutes to load for 5.

My internet speed is fine, this is the only streaming service I have had issues with and it sucks because I would be using it every day if I could.

Have you had this issue?

Weird, where are you and what are you watching it on? Just a browser?

I haven't had any problems watching movies on Shudder through Amazon, so I won't be much help. You might ask in the horror thread if anyone's been having issues, feels like over half of us in that thread have Shudder now.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3030395

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.

MacheteZombie posted:

Weird, where are you and what are you watching it on? Just a browser?

I haven't had any problems watching movies on Shudder through Amazon, so I won't be much help. You might ask in the horror thread if anyone's been having issues, feels like over half of us in that thread have Shudder now.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3030395

Watching it in browser (I've tried Chrome and Firefox). I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada so my speeds are not great but they are perfectly fine for everything else (streaming, downloading, gaming).

I'll maybe check out that thread when I have time, thank you.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

the popular kids posted:

Watching it in browser (I've tried Chrome and Firefox). I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada so my speeds are not great but they are perfectly fine for everything else (streaming, downloading, gaming).

I'll maybe check out that thread when I have time, thank you.

Glad to help even a tiny bit if I did. I usually watch stuff on Fire TV, but I've used Chrome a few times and it worked without issue for me. I know there's some Canadians in the horror thread so hopefully they can provide a better answer than I can.

Since you have ShudderTV I assume you subscribed through Shudder's website? In the USA at atleast, if you subscribe through Amazon you don't Shudder TV which bums me out.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Is the other one "vas efrons"?

Good time to remind people of this masterpiece of a poster:

Great things comes in..Harts?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Is this about who I think it's about?

While it's evocative, it's not "Icarus". Then again, the reaction of a poster of him being crucified on a VW Bug would be hilarious , rolling around in broken glass, or having someone shoot him in the arm with a .22 less so.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Young Freud posted:

Is this about who I think it's about?

While it's evocative, it's not "Icarus". Then again, the reaction of a poster of him being crucified on a VW Bug would be hilarious , rolling around in broken glass, or having someone shoot him in the arm with a .22 less so.

What are you talking about?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hmm:

Old version:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
i'm sorry

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Palpek posted:

Old version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgs9QUtWc3M

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

What are you talking about?

This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBQJgN0MVOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

THE BAR posted:

As another poster said, it's 45 hours long.

It's a very, very bloated book. It was written at the height of King's alcoholism and drug addiction, and after he had already gotten significant fame. He was cocksure, and no editor was willing to reign him in. So you just get hundreds of pages of useless sideplots. The book was very much of it's time, with often racist and homophobic caricatures.

Stephen Weber's awful narration and voices for each character, which only heightened the racist and homophobic caricatures, was only one of the many problems I had with the book. I'm really glad I cut out before the child orgy at the end.