Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Can someone link the sweet AoS battle report the goon wrote that was basically an exercise in futility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

muggins posted:

Can someone link the sweet AoS battle report the goon wrote that was basically an exercise in futility

Or did you mean this one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802686&userid=192807&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post469611122

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 20, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Good lord, that is awesome. I love the guy who runs by at the end.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

SteelMentor posted:

Here goes, I'm not much of a writer so do forgive the :words:. I'll try to add some pictures if our camera guy actually gets back to me with those he took.

Game started as a 800pt per-player multiplayer game, with the gimmick of players being able to add in a Trivumulate character of their choice for free if it was fully painted and built. Second gimmick came in with a random table rolled on at the start of each game turn, effects like turning on Shrouded for all units, or putting a 10 min timer on each team's turn for the round.
Forces were Mechanicum, Dark Angels, Eldar and Genestealer Cult on my team, with Mechanicum, Tank company IG, Artillery company IG, airborne Veteran IG and some late Black Templars on the other. Short-edge deployment, team with the most models in 6" of the central objective by the end of each game round scored one point.

First problem came in with the other team, the Mechanicum and mechanised/artillery IG players had all conspired together over the week leading up to the game and had built a lot more synergistic/competitive lists than on our team, which consisted of two newer players and one who was essentially a dead-weight (more on him later). Things got worse when a 9th player showed up late and got sorted into the enemy team for 'thematic' reasons, with the manager giving my team an extra 800pts that got spent on a Knight and more Purestrain 'stealers.

We decided to go ballsy and and deployed the bulk of the Genestealer Cult in the building holding the objective, with the idea of at least scoring an extra point before they could rush in, with the Eldar working as troubleshooters with their jetbikes and the AdMech and DAngels providing the bulk of the firepower, while the enemy team deployed as a gunline, with tanks on the flanks and a core of Skitarii and Kataphrons to rush the building.

First turn went to the enemy team and took an hour to complete as they meticulously argued where to move their units when only about 10% of our forces could actually shoot at them on that turn. Then came their shooting phase which was bogged down by the artillery player taking his sweet goddamn time picking his targets, then revealing he had only a partial understanding of how shooting templates actually works in 40k, requiring multiple explanations and reminders as he pounded the 'stealers sneaking up their flank into a fine mist. Eventually it was finally over and we moved on to our first turn.

This is where the Eldar player on our side really became a problem. I believe I've bitched about him before in this thread, but he's our store's resident Autistic Tankie and really cannot handle a game more complex than an intro with the staff going easy on him. Rather than do what we asked him to do, he held his entire force out of range behind a tiny building at the back of our side of the field, all while smugly stating "It's in character for Eldar!". Dude then spent the rest our turn complaining things were taking too long, then proceeded with this little conversation:

:downs:: So the Sisters of Silence, do you think you could brainwash them if you tortured them enough?
:shepface:: Erm, no. That's kinda weird dude...
:downs:: It's just that I really hate them, them trannies. The look like trannies.
:shepface:: Dude, don't call them trannies. That's real loving gross.
:downs:: I just really hate them, trannies I mean, they always call me names and they're gross freaks!
:shepicide:

Game continued on slowly from there, rules lawyer guy tried to argue that Cawl's Canticles would count all friendly units in order to check for potency (despite what the loving book clearly lays out) and then argued about the angles on the Knight's Ion Shields. First meltdown started here when the artillery player hit the Eldar hiding in the backfield, Tankie decides he wants a 10 min break to de-stress after visibly becoming upset at losing one whole Windrider, game continues without him. Nothing much happens as the tank company just kinda doddles around the middle of their deployment away from the Knight and one Celestine gets tied in combat with a Patriarch.

Game continues into our turn two, nearly three hours have passed at this time. People spending much more time referencing other nerd poo poo than focusing on the nerd poo poo going down on the table. Rules lawyer guy starts bellyaching about Dangerous Terrain, spending 15 mins flicking back and forth through the rulebook despite being told the correct ruling by four separate people. So starts his meltdown, as his tanks come under a lot of fire and one or two get popped/weapons destroyed and he starts losing all interest with the game. Celestine downs the Patriarch, Airborne IG downs my Knight, DAngels reinforce our hold on the centre while my robutts start chewing through their flank. Eldar cautiously advance to another piece of terrain in the backfield.

Turn three starts and the time limit rule gets rolled, 10 mins to try and finish the turn or you lose the rest of it. Enemy team goes into a bit of a flap, practically falling over each other to shove their units up the board. Several army mans get broken in their ham-handedness and this is where my Cawl almost met his maker when one of them knocks over their drink, which barely missed him and mangled some of the terrain. Artillery player decides to have his meltdown now, sitting off by the painting stations sullenly while Eldar Tankie decides to have his fifth time-out of the hour. Mechanised player manages to immobilise 2/3 of his remaining tanks and decides to go off in a huff as well, giving the rest of his remaining tanks and his Celestine to his team to deal with.

Our turn 3 starts, timer gets started. Finally convince the Eldar player to move up the board, everyone advances up. Kataphrons take aim and down the first Celestine, who fails her Jesus act and dies for real. Second lot follow their success with the other, though she gets back up again. Genestealers manage to make it to their Cawl while mine pops a Hellhound. 'Stealers manage to remove two wounds from Cawl as he swats 4 of them back. Eldar player finally does something and finishes off a weakened Command Tank, immediately claims it was his plan all along. Game then ends, it took us nearly 6 hours to get to the bottom of Turn 3 and the store is about to close. Handshakes are exchanged but it's obvious no-one had fun, people then decide to seriously argue about whose dice are whose.

So yeah, just really boring with minor instances of :wtc:. Most of the game was spent arguing about rules minutia, trying to steer players away from quoting internet memes at each other or trying to get people to stop sulking and finish their goddamn turn. It was all the 'fun' of an Apocalypse game, with none of the booze or pizza that generally make them at least bearable.

And of course, I signed up for the Sigmar multiplayer game next weekend. Like the loving idiot I am.

Oh 40k thread.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

I love the gif but the link isn't what I was looking for. It was an epic report of this guy finally giving in and trying AoS with someone who basically made it a living hell

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My knowledge on 4Ed D&D includes;
Page after page of actions,
Artwork has squares everywhere, even the faces and,
"Why the gently caress is the old man with the stick called a 'Control Wizard' now? That's the sort of name you give to some random enemy in a computer game."

As you can see, veeeeery comprehensive :v:

As far as I can understand, you have; people who view the rules in D&D as something to be followed in the strictest way possible, like you would a wargame and you have people who view it as a framework, to tell random, crazy stories with, that everyone participates in. Not to say I agree with throwing out shoddy writing and calling it a day (Hi Games Workshop!) but if the writing is sound and if the intent of that writing is to encourage role play, while also letting people feel like they're having an effect in whatever scenario is conjured (whether that be playing a game in a world where open, brazen use of magic of any kind is met with awe and or fear and playing into that/using player relationships with NPCs in inventive ways, taking them by surprise for good or ill intent/in Russia, hobos murder you! etc.)

I've always wanted to play D&D but I'm a dumb introvert that can't stand people. So, I live that vicariously through Critical Role. The way they play is amazing and oft times, funny as gently caress. :)
http://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/

Edit: This is one of my all time favourites and yes, I know it's not D&D =P
http://geekandsundry.com/critical-role-one-shot-brought-to-you-by-pathfinder-and-syrinscape/

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 20, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Can we talk about RPGs and stuff in this thread too? I know we go off on tangents about game design a lot and I think there's fertile ground in discussing RPGs. Anyway, I got into a stupid Facebook discussion about DnD editions and everything positive I had to say about 4e was met with the response that 5e did the same things but better. Not having any experience with 5e, I couldn't really say. So to fill in my own knowledge gaps, I looked through the 5e PHB and what I saw didn't impress me.

What exactly is different between 5e and 3e? I'm sure there are numerous differences, but surface level they look identical to me except that they carried over Dragonborn into the PHB and Fighter's can now choose a skin at a certain level. Is there anything at all resembling the tactical combat and defined combat roles of 4e? Outside of a particular Fighter skin's alternative actions, is the Fighter just swinging his sword most of the time? Is casting basically how it was back in 3e for every class?

Not to be flip but the op of the 5th edition thread has a full break down of the differences compared to 3rd and 4th. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647634&perpage=40

The biggest sin, for me, from 5th is that is goes back to every class having its own fun to play scale from 2nd and 3rd that 4th was able to avoid. Casters start out with limited abilities that quickly balloon while what you're doing as a level 1 fighter largely stays the same straight to 20.

If you want a game that does everything that 4th was able to accomplish but better try 13th Age.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pash posted:

Oh 40k thread.

It's as has been said before, none of these guys actually wants to play a game. They aspire to.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not to be flip but the op of the 5th edition thread has a full break down of the differences compared to 3rd and 4th. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647634&perpage=40

The biggest sin, for me, from 5th is that is goes back to every class having its own fun to play scale from 2nd and 3rd that 4th was able to avoid. Casters start out with limited abilities that quickly balloon while what you're doing as a level 1 fighter largely stays the same straight to 20.

If you want a game that does everything that 4th was able to accomplish but better try 13th Age.

I try to stay out of the RPG threads so wasn't aware that they had a breakdown, but I like the opinions and way several of the posters in this thread discuss rules and game design theory so figured I'd skip the middleman and go straight to them. Thanks for the thoughts though! It doesn't like like 5e is anything at all special and markedly worse than 4e.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's as has been said before, none of these guys actually wants to play a game. They aspire to.

I try to stay out of the RPG threads so wasn't aware that they had a breakdown, but I like the opinions and way several of the posters in this thread discuss rules and game design theory so figured I'd skip the middleman and go straight to them. Thanks for the thoughts though! It doesn't like like 5e is anything at all special and markedly worse than 4e.

Depends on your preferences in game design, really. I enjoy 5e D&D as a throwback to 2e, because 4e felt way more like running an MMO party than a tabletop RPG.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's an ongoing problem--those states will always be considered undesirable, so each time you give them a new label, that same label will be adopted by society at large as a pejorative.

e: still worth fighting, though

Yeah, it's euphemism treadmill stuff, but I feel like autism's already hit the point where it's rolling off the end.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

or Strike which is very directly 4e but better.

The biggest sin 4e has is how much fuckin' work it is to prep and run. There's too many powers and items and feats and paragon paths and aaaaagh. Strike's so much easier to handle.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Can we talk about RPGs and stuff in this thread too? I know we go off on tangents about game design a lot and I think there's fertile ground in discussing RPGs. Anyway, I got into a stupid Facebook discussion about DnD editions and everything positive I had to say about 4e was met with the response that 5e did the same things but better. Not having any experience with 5e, I couldn't really say. So to fill in my own knowledge gaps, I looked through the 5e PHB and what I saw didn't impress me.

What exactly is different between 5e and 3e? I'm sure there are numerous differences, but surface level they look identical to me except that they carried over Dragonborn into the PHB and Fighter's can now choose a skin at a certain level. Is there anything at all resembling the tactical combat and defined combat roles of 4e? Outside of a particular Fighter skin's alternative actions, is the Fighter just swinging his sword most of the time? Is casting basically how it was back in 3e for every class?

1) Don't play D&D friend. It's basically the textbook example of a badly designed game that actively fights what most people are trying to get out of an RPG. It's absolutely the GW product of the RPG industry. Huge player base who brush off every issue as if the only time its a problem is when you're playing some WAAC ultra competitive player or something.

2) 3e is a game almost entirely about character creation as its heart. The key selling point is to be getting into crazy combos of characters where you are drawing from 8 different books take 12 different classes and prestige classes to make your character. Thats fantastic for people who like that but the downsides of the system are well documented (wizard supremacy, hosed up math, martial's fail to scale remotely reasonably, huge gaps between functionaltiy of classes)

3) 5e does improve on some of the 3e failings as its not quite a complete shitshow in terms of combat and character building (in large part because there is almost zero content for the game so its just a lot less customization of your classes in general and the very limited increase of natural +1s means your numbers never get to the crazy levels that 3e. Unfortunately none of the actual problems 3e are solve in this and the lovely natural language 5e is determined to used makes it a pain in the rear end to read through and parse half the mechanics of the game. The spell casters are still king poo poo of poo poo design mountain (though bards are consider the master race class now) and can basically trivialize half the problems in the game with a wave of their hand, combat is hyper lethal low levels, the game actively lies to the GM about how to build a balanced encounter for the group and while its never as bad as 3e in terms of the math you're adding up its definitely a game about putting together a series of chain bonuses and triggering everything off.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mcjomar posted:

In which case holy poo poo at the GW price hikes.
I've not bought one of those things in years so if they now coat that much then holy gently caress that's expensive as all hell. GW can get hosed with their pricing. I mean I know I shouldn't be surprised but it's worse than I thought.

It was another casualty of kit consolidation. They started shipping the kit with the bits to make each of the three variants and took the opportunity to jump the price because of all those extra bits.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Irate Tree posted:

My knowledge on 4Ed D&D includes;
Page after page of actions,
Artwork has squares everywhere, even the faces and,
"Why the gently caress is the old man with the stick called a 'Control Wizard' now? That's the sort of name you give to some random enemy in a computer game."

As you can see, veeeeery comprehensive :v:

As far as I can understand, you have; people who view the rules in D&D as something to be followed in the strictest way possible, like you would a wargame and you have people who view it as a framework, to tell random, crazy stories with, that everyone participates in. Not to say I agree with throwing out shoddy writing and calling it a day (Hi Games Workshop!) but if the writing is sound and if the intent of that writing is to encourage role play, while also letting people feel like they're having an effect in whatever scenario is conjured (whether that be playing a game in a world where open, brazen use of magic of any kind is met with awe and or fear and playing into that/using player relationships with NPCs in inventive ways, taking them by surprise for good or ill intent/in Russia, hobos murder you! etc.)

I've always wanted to play D&D but I'm a dumb introvert that can't stand people. So, I live that vicariously through Critical Role. The way they play is amazing and oft times, funny as gently caress. :)
http://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/

Edit: This is one of my all time favourites and yes, I know it's not D&D =P
http://geekandsundry.com/critical-role-one-shot-brought-to-you-by-pathfinder-and-syrinscape/

Few things I'd thought I would mention. You're all time favourites is actually just D&D in all but name. Pathfinder is essentially D&D 3.5e with someones houserules run over the top of it, its got some numbers changed around here and there but it acts and runs almost identically to 3.5e

The main point is that misconception you have about people who follow the rules in the strictest way or others who just want to tell stories. The reason people get upset at D&D's hot mess of mechanics is that everything in it is designed to actively stop you from telling a story. It's a system that is fighting you from trying to roleplaying and doing what you're trying to do with it but nobody who plays it seems to realize whats going on. A lot of those people will just try and ignore rules that get in the way and assume that this is just naturally how an rpg works. The super important point is that a lot of roleplaying games out there actively encourage you play and the mechanics themselves are built upon getting players to tell those stories and act in such a way that they are rewarded for playing those classic storytelling moments.

One of the big points is that the core 'conflict resolution mechanic' is a fundamental issue in D&D. A d20 (a 20 sided dice) is inherently very swingy as to its results for almost no payoff and with D&D5e trying to limit the number of +1s the players get it means all resolution falls down on that dice. Its a simple pass or fail mechanic that sets out if you can succeed or fail on random chance. A lot of rpg systems came up with alternatives because its pretty critical to make sure the mental conditioning thats going on in a game leads people to continue to be creative and encourage a positive response. If a player tries something creative for the first time and simply fails it then puts a huge roadblock on the scene and discourages the player from trying again. The systems core mechanic is set up so you have simple binary pass/fail mechanic which hinges a games tone on. This is a lovely design for a game where you're trying to tell a story.

On top of that you have the character classes themselves wildly varying in power. Sure you can tell your story with that in mind but you need to actively design around that, something D&D doesn't. Its very difficult to tell a story where everyone is involved and contributing when you have a contrast of 'a fight swinging his sword and merryly chanting a battle song' next to the 'wizard who has constructed their own interdemensional plane of reality and is currently removing his opponents from existence' . Its a contrast that usually leads to some bitterness especially as people realise the way they advance doesn't compare in the slightest. On top of that D&D is pretty traditional in being a number crunch game and a game where you tend to need to plan out your character for a few levels at least. Any time you have a pause in a fight scene to add up numbers means you a both undercutting the tone and tension of a scene and are probably making everything drag out much longer than it otherwise should (D&D is renowned for making combat take for ever).

A game's mechanics should actively encourage the players to roleplay and even D&D5e is still a decade or so behind the ball on introducing mechanics that encourage creativity rather than stifle it. Some people like the number crunch rpgs and there are many out there like it but I would point out the people who like roleplaying and telling stories often dismiss D&D because they have gotten used to system that encourage that stuff rather than bury it.

EDIT:My go to example of other systems that encourage that kind of behaviour in very simple ways is the Star Wars RPG system Edge of the Empire, known for its unique dice:

I don't know if people want me to go into detail and talk about design philosophies and stuff about what its trying to achieve and why it takes the risk by using its own special dice versus conventional ones but the simple point is that the dice system results in players rolling off and ending up with a pool of points on two different axis:success/failure (determine if you passed or failed at whatever you were trying to do) and advantage/threat (determines if something unexpectedly good and unexpectedly bad that is spent by the players to do something creative or trigger a special quality/ability) so that you end up with a dice roll that almost always results in something happening and pushing the action forward. Its something that people look at being far too complicated but literally everyone who you plays a session or two is immediately able to comfortably do it far quicker than a traditional d20 system when you realise theres no little modifiers and +1s you ever need to look up and deal with, its just build dice pool, roll dice, interpret results.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 20, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Amen, brother. I used to love crunchy systems that accurately modeled reality (or the verisimilitude thereof). Then I discovered the "Powered by the Apocalypse" games and never looked back. Now the thought of even creating a character in D&D just pains me.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ilor posted:

Amen, brother. I used to love crunchy systems that accurately modeled reality (or the verisimilitude thereof). Then I discovered the "Powered by the Apocalypse" games and never looked back. Now the thought of even creating a character in D&D just pains me.

Yeah its just too much of a grind to get through a lot of these systems and I would prefer ones where interesting things happen as a result of the rolls rather than a skill check or something just being a big barrier to doing something interesting. Also FFG star wars taught me that if combat works the same as any other skill check it makes everything go soooo much faster. A battle with storm troopers and a heroic escape to a ship all wraps up in 20 minutes of play time. Lol at trying to do that in D&D.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

D&D is a bad game with enough market saturation that you can basically find people who know how to play it anywhere. And it's still synonymous with RPGs since people very often do conflate it, and systems derived from it, with tabletop roleplaying in general. And you can't really blame them for that.

From the beginning, D&D has mechanically always been an imbalanced dungeoneering game that you are encouraged to also roleplay in on the side. You can also try to hammer its square peg into as many roleplaying round holes as you'd like, as people have done and will continue to do, but from a game design standpoint it's obvious it's all about running those dungeons that are mentioned in the name. The closest the game has ever gotten to being a balanced incarnation of itself was in 4e, and that was controversial for a number of reasons that have been talked to death elsewhere. 4e was the closest D&D has ever gotten to being a good game and 5e doesn't really fix the problems that 3.x has. Incidentally, Pathfinder is functionally D&D 3.75 and doesn't really fix the fundamental problems with the 3.x D&Ds either and I still remember the incredibly ludicrous Gunslinger nerf anecdote.

Note that D&D 5e splits its core rulebook into three parts (which is something only D&D does) and the part for players is still almost entirely character creation, combat rules, and magic (most of which is used in combat, or to trivialize challenges out of combat to get back into combat). It's the most mechanically rigorous of the three and is clearly all about fighting, which says a lot about the game. The part for GMs, the Dungeon Master's Guide, gives a lot of ideas for inspiration, some extra rules clarification information for running the game, a bunch of random tables for when you're really out of ideas, and magic item catalog, most of which is for combat. And the Monster Manual is literally a catalog of monsters to throw into combat encounters.

Even the 40K RPGs have more mechanical support for social characters. The very idea of a "social character" whose effectiveness is out of combat, and who doesn't actually develop combat skills or powers, is something completely outside of D&D's paradigm, but is a staple of nearly every other RPG out there. The FFG Star Wars games even have multiple options for different kinds of social characters, as well as other flavors of out-of-combat utility, and they all have character advancement as crunchy and satisfying as combat types.

Some of which are pretty drat powerful, actually.

This is not an emptyquote.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Oh, you don't have to convince me that DnD is bad. I knew that from the start. I was mostly just looking to reject the idea that 5e does everything 4e did well better.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Oh, you don't have to convince me that DnD is bad. I knew that from the start. I was mostly just looking to reject the idea that 5e does everything 4e did well better.

5e doesn't even do half of what 3e did but better, and it's basically a retroclone of 3e.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Slimnoid posted:

5e doesn't even do half of what 3e did but better, and it's basically a retroclone of 3e.

This seems obvious, but I was hoping for more specific examples of things to cite, which is why I asked the questions that I did.

They changed everything back into feet and miles for "realism" I guess but I hear it's still supposed to be played on a grid where you have to convert? But without the push, pull, and AoE mechanics the combat seems like it would just be a grind where the DM could actively block you from doing anything interesting.

I can't just say "the balance is gone" without being able to point to a specific example of broken math or progression.

As far as I can tell, a level 1 Fighter can do little more than "swing sword" but most of the other classes get access to spells, which now have a hit/miss mechanic that 3e never had. Is this correct?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Atlas Hugged posted:

As far as I can tell, a level 1 Fighter can do little more than "swing sword" but most of the other classes get access to spells, which now have a hit/miss mechanic that 3e never had. Is this correct?

As an example: a wizard with the Animate Dead spell can summon enough skeletons with bows to out-damage the fighter as early as 6th level. As you can imagine, this only gets worse with higher levels, as you can summon more and more undead that will simply murder most enemies by sheer weight of attacks, as well as slow the game down to a crawl (have fun rolling 24 attacks!).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Never change, DnD, never change.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ilor posted:

:yeah: I like the FFG Star Wars RPG myself. I threw away the idea that verisimilitude was in any way good a long time ago from the grognards.txt threads, but I didn't really know how much I hated it until I started playing lots of board games and recognizing the value of abstraction. The difference between, say, Chicago Express and 1846 is that of accounting and number crunching, but ultimately, how much more do you get out of the 18xx than chicago express, when CE gets the feel and playstyle right anyway? The 18xx is deeper, sure, but does it offer that much more enjoyment than the much lighter game? The other thing I realized was the difference between depth of play and complexity. Food Chain Magnate is a good one. Extremely simple game. It's dominion, but with a board. Just do what the cards say. But it's a hard game to play right and it's extremely punishing and satisfying. However, there's no hidden gotchas or bullshit rules that are hidden at the bottom of page 62.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Atlas Hugged posted:

Never change, DnD, never change.

That's the idea. :xd:

(FWIW I like D&D when played like Tower of Gygax where it's just a series of random puzzle rooms but I admit that that's in no small part due to nostalgia for being 12 and playing AD&D all night with my friends.)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Avenging Dentist posted:

That's the idea. :xd:

(FWIW I like D&D when played like Tower of Gygax where it's just a series of random puzzle rooms but I admit that that's in no small part due to nostalgia for being 12 and playing AD&D all night with my friends.)

This is basically how 4e is supposed to be played. It's a really good dungeon crawler and anything else attached to it is just vestigial design that they couldn't completely eliminate. I mean, sure, you could do a political simulator, but it would work really poorly.

Also, I was thinking about that 40k post and how the IG guy didn't really understand how blast templates worked. I have to say that blast templates are the coolest thing I'm glad Mantic have done away with because I don't think they have have ever actually worked well. It's super neat to put down a flame template, but it just leads to so much bitching and wasted time in the movement phase placing models just so.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is basically how 4e is supposed to be played. It's a really good dungeon crawler and anything else attached to it is just vestigial design that they couldn't completely eliminate. I mean, sure, you could do a political simulator, but it would work really poorly.

I couldn't give less of a poo poo about combat in D&D though. For me, entering combat is a sign that things went seriously off the rails. While I know 4e lets you do other stuff, it never felt quite close enough to AD&D to me so the nostalgia is ruined. At that point I might as well pick a game that's closer to the kinds of stuff I really like (Torchbearer seems really up my alley).

It's a hard problem because, as a business, you obviously want to use the D&D name but you're forced to grapple with either keeping the original flavor (and what that constitutes varies from person to person) or making a good game that throws away all the busted parts. Unfortunately, I dislike nearly every element of D&D (classes, levels, D20-based skill rolls, etc) except when it hits the nostalgia center of my brain.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 21, 2017

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Avenging Dentist posted:

I couldn't give less of a poo poo about combat in D&D though. For me, entering combat is a sign that things went seriously off the rails. While I know 4e lets you do other stuff, it never felt quite close enough to AD&D to me so the nostalgia is ruined. At that point I might as well pick a game that's closer to the kinds of stuff I really like (Torchbearer seems really up my alley).

It's a hard problem because, as a business, you obviously want to use the D&D name but you're forced to grapple with either keeping the original flavor (and what that constitutes varies from person to person) or making a good game that throws away all the busted parts. Unfortunately, I dislike nearly every element of D&D (classes, levels, D20-based skill rolls, etc) except when it hits the nostalgia center of my brain.

That's an odd way to view DnD since it started as a war game where the players can pretend to be an elf. Combat is part of DnDs bones

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Bad Moon posted:

That's an odd way to view DnD since it started as a war game where the players can pretend to be an elf.

Yeah well that's the wrong way to play D&D. :colbert:

e: In any case, I think my point still stands. A lot of people's complaints about D&D (when you filter out the dumb) boils down to "it's not what I was looking for" which is fine. Obviously my issues are based on an idealized version of "playing a game with my friends" but that's what I liked about D&D.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 21, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kingdom and Microscope are Good RPG Systems.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Slimnoid posted:

As an example: a wizard with the Animate Dead spell can summon enough skeletons with bows to out-damage the fighter as early as 6th level. As you can imagine, this only gets worse with higher levels, as you can summon more and more undead that will simply murder most enemies by sheer weight of attacks, as well as slow the game down to a crawl (have fun rolling 24 attacks!).

Does Animate Dead still have the 25gp per hit dice cost for the spell, or was that dropped for 5th Ed? I can't remember exactly what the material is, but it costs 25gp per hit dice. Then you need to have the bodies and weapons at your disposal to cast the spell on.

Edit: The math seems off here - a 3.5/Pathfinder 6th level wizard can't cast animate dead as it's a 4th level spell.
Then there's the 25gp per hit dice (600gp total, for 24 single hit dice, if my sums-in-my-head-math is right) in onyx gems.

A 5th edition, 6th level wizard can cast the spell three times a day, each creating one skeleton/zombie. And each time it takes a minute to cast.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 21, 2017

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone tried this?
http://www.openlegendrpg.com/

Apparently, it's supposed to allow you to do whatever you want?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Chill la Chill posted:

:yeah: I like the FFG Star Wars RPG myself. I threw away the idea that verisimilitude was in any way good a long time ago from the grognards.txt threads, but I didn't really know how much I hated it until I started playing lots of board games and recognizing the value of abstraction. The difference between, say, Chicago Express and 1846 is that of accounting and number crunching, but ultimately, how much more do you get out of the 18xx than chicago express, when CE gets the feel and playstyle right anyway? The 18xx is deeper, sure, but does it offer that much more enjoyment than the much lighter game? The other thing I realized was the difference between depth of play and complexity. Food Chain Magnate is a good one. Extremely simple game. It's dominion, but with a board. Just do what the cards say. But it's a hard game to play right and it's extremely punishing and satisfying. However, there's no hidden gotchas or bullshit rules that are hidden at the bottom of page 62.
I think that 18XX and CE are different enough in feel that making the comparison is not quite as valid. CE feels like playing a Euro with a traintrack building theme and I don't get that same feeling playing 18XX, where i actually feel like I'm manipulating a stock market/railroad company:

On the other I'm personally a crazy person that doesn't mind complexity or huge rulesets because I play board wargames and enjoy all and think minis wargamers (which I used to be one) should just simply upgrade to board wargames if they are looking for mechanically tight games and are not too bothered about the lack of minis.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Atlas Hugged posted:

This seems obvious, but I was hoping for more specific examples of things to cite, which is why I asked the questions that I did.

They changed everything back into feet and miles for "realism" I guess but I hear it's still supposed to be played on a grid where you have to convert? But without the push, pull, and AoE mechanics the combat seems like it would just be a grind where the DM could actively block you from doing anything interesting.

I can't just say "the balance is gone" without being able to point to a specific example of broken math or progression.

The DM can always block you from doing anything interesting, friend. Otherwise, we'd be playing a wargame where nobody has actual narrative control. Half of the point of having a DM setting up scenarios is that they challenge the players by avoiding one size fits all solutions, and this necessarily means limiting the players' options in some way.

This is kind of inherent to D&D as a 'GM creates a dungeon, characters crawl it.' battle game rather than a more open system designed for cooperative storytelling.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 21, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've played every edition of D&D from ~1985 through 4th edition (but not 5th). Of all of those, 4th was by far the most balanced, mechanically interesting, and useful rule set. I say "useful" meaning that the rules - such as they were - were designed from the outset to generate and support the expected gameplay experiences. It was also vastly improved for the GM, especially when you took advantage of the digital tools.

That said, it is definitely first and foremost a tactical combat game. 4th edition made that combat game much more interesting, fair, and manageable. Breaking up all character classes into four broad categories (controller, leader, striker, and defender) and then ensuring every character class could perform well within that category was a huge step forward for the game. Standardizing all combat actions as powers, and ensuring that powers of a given level were of equivalent... uh, power ... across all classes, races, etc. meant that players were far less likely to be penalized for making a "trap" choice, and conversely, it became very difficult to make a character that categorically outshined another character in the party.

But. 4th edition did not really take on the challenge of the game outside of combat. It has a tacked-on-feeling Skill Challenge system that simply falls on its face - skill challenge math was broken and had to be fixed in later books, but even with fixed math, skill challenges always feel either like dumb exercises in players contriving to justify using their good skills and then rolling lots of dice with a near-inevitable outcome. In the end you feel like you'd have been far better off just roleplaying out what happened and ignoring your character sheets, and that's not a great outcome.

It also had a "ritual" system that mostly replaced noncombat magic that - in my very limited experience - was mostly ignored by everyone, and that's unfortunate because the mechanic had some potential. But I think it just didn't fit into most players' expectations of what a game of D&D was like? I dunno.

Ultimately, though, you are engaging with the game's mechanics when you're having combat encounters, and the rest of the time, you're free to RP all you want and maybe make some skill rolls occasionally and you can totally play a game that way... but if you spent the time and effort to make a D&D character, you were wasting your time if you aren't mostly using it to chop up monsters and take their stuff.

In any case 4th edition made it very straightforward to just build a character with the mechanics you wanted, and then re-skin anything you wanted (race, class, powers, feats, whatever) to suit the flavor you were going for. Some groups cottoned on to that and went hog wild, and others apparently felt constrained by the flavor text and then complained that it was all too samey or video-gamey. :shrug:

The other complaints about the game are valid. It is not a good system for any of: fast lightweight gameplay, mechanically-supported noncombat character interactions, storytelling as a mechanic, or settings other than the default D&D "everything and the kitchen sink, with lots of magic" setting.

4th edition could have been better. A number of innovations just didn't go far enough. I had a strong sense that the designers understood they were making a big step forward, but felt constrained by Tradition and Expectation to keep some sacred cows that basically held the whole system back. poo poo like still having ability scores from 3 to 18, rolling a d20, huge lists of basically indespensible magic loot without which your character is hopeless, etc. I had some hope that the next edition of D&D would follow through on what was set up by 4th, but it seems that the backlash by grognardy fans, coupled with the massive cuts in spending and the game being in the control of basically a grognard, regression was the choice that won out.

Anymore I have no patience for rules-heavy RPGs. I just don't feel like I have the time to master a system just so I can play lets pretend. I kickstarted the new Conan RPG and I'm liking what I see in the books as they come out, although I haven't gotten to play it yet. It's not what I'd call a true lightweight system (like say PDQ or Fate Accelerated) but it's much lighter than D&D and seems to be designed to encourage "adventure" as the core gameplay rather than "murder things and take their stuff."

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 21, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Liquid Communism posted:

The DM can always block you from doing anything interesting, friend. Otherwise, we'd be playing a wargame where nobody has actual narrative control. Half of the point of having a DM setting up scenarios is that they challenge the players by avoiding one size fits all solutions, and this necessarily means limiting the players' options in some way.

This is kind of inherent to D&D as a 'GM creates a dungeon, characters crawl it.' battle game rather than a more open system designed for cooperative storytelling.

This seems like a weird response to what I was actually talking about. As far as I can tell, there's nothing in any edition of DnD that really encourages novel solutions to combat situations. Every class has their weapons and abilities in some form or another and those are what are mechanically outlined and what they bring to every encounter. In 4e, since the players could affect their positions in addition to the positions of their enemies in an encounter, the game lent itself to synergy between players in sort of a combo system. This was of course not unbreakable and enemy abilities would counter or limit this or that and they were pulling similar tricks on the PCs. The players couldn't approach every combat the same, they had to figure out what would work on the targets in front of them and the environment they were in. And the DM could accomplish all of this without relying on fiat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

This seems like a weird response to what I was actually talking about. As far as I can tell, there's nothing in any edition of DnD that really encourages novel solutions to combat situations. Every class has their weapons and abilities in some form or another and those are what are mechanically outlined and what they bring to every encounter. In 4e, since the players could affect their positions in addition to the positions of their enemies in an encounter, the game lent itself to synergy between players in sort of a combo system. This was of course not unbreakable and enemy abilities would counter or limit this or that and they were pulling similar tricks on the PCs. The players couldn't approach every combat the same, they had to figure out what would work on the targets in front of them and the environment they were in. And the DM could accomplish all of this without relying on fiat.

Yes. A huge improvement.

You were also kind of supposed to (allowed? Encouraged in some places, but people missed it?) to reflavor your powers to support a creative narrative. Just because your power says something like "you bluff your opponent with a feint and then stab him when he's vulnerable!" doesn't mean that's what you have to describe your guy doing when you (mechanically) force an enemy to slide one square and then do a weapon + 1d8 damage attack.

But in my experience, in live play people tend not to want to try to reskin every power use on the fly. In PbP it seemed a lot more common, but eventually when you're making the 43rd attack of the adventure you just don't have the heart to keep inventing new creative descriptions for your guy using that same bluff power again. So that only goes so far.

The game absolutely does not allow you to just improvise an attack action that isn't one of the powers on your character sheet. You can do some kind of non-damaging thing with a skill roll, usually, but in a combat it's usually strictly better to do damage to an enemy (or cause a status effect or whatever - use an attack power, basically) than doing anything else, so the classic "I want to leap from the balcony, swing on the chandelier, and then crash into the bad guy with a mighty kick!" requires the GM and player to more or less improvise a mechanic on the fly (a bad GM just says "you can't do that" but D&D does not actively support the GM beyond saying "just improvise something" while many other games actually give the GM and player real tools to make this kind of play not just possible, but encouraged).

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Irate Tree posted:

Has anyone tried this?
http://www.openlegendrpg.com/

Apparently, it's supposed to allow you to do whatever you want?

I too am now curious about this.
I it worth spending money on this elfgame?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Leperflesh posted:

Yes. A huge improvement.

You were also kind of supposed to (allowed? Encouraged in some places, but people missed it?) to reflavor your powers to support a creative narrative. Just because your power says something like "you bluff your opponent with a feint and then stab him when he's vulnerable!" doesn't mean that's what you have to describe your guy doing when you (mechanically) force an enemy to slide one square and then do a weapon + 1d8 damage attack.

But in my experience, in live play people tend not to want to try to reskin every power use on the fly. In PbP it seemed a lot more common, but eventually when you're making the 43rd attack of the adventure you just don't have the heart to keep inventing new creative descriptions for your guy using that same bluff power again. So that only goes so far.

The game absolutely does not allow you to just improvise an attack action that isn't one of the powers on your character sheet. You can do some kind of non-damaging thing with a skill roll, usually, but in a combat it's usually strictly better to do damage to an enemy (or cause a status effect or whatever - use an attack power, basically) than doing anything else, so the classic "I want to leap from the balcony, swing on the chandelier, and then crash into the bad guy with a mighty kick!" requires the GM and player to more or less improvise a mechanic on the fly (a bad GM just says "you can't do that" but D&D does not actively support the GM beyond saying "just improvise something" while many other games actually give the GM and player real tools to make this kind of play not just possible, but encouraged).

Note the the Dungeon Master's Guide for 4e did have a mechanic for improvisation, complete with a damage table:

4e DMG posted:

Actions the Rules Don’t Cover
Your presence as the Dungeon Master is what makes D&D such a great game. You make it possible for the players to try anything they can imagine. That means it’s your job to resolve unusual actions when the players try them.
Setting Improvised Damage: Sometimes you need to set damage for something not covered in the rules—a character stumbles into the campfire or falls into a vat of acid, for example. Choose a column on the Difficulty Class and Damage by Level table based on the severity of the effect. Use a normal damage expression for something that might make an attack round after round, or something that’s relatively minor. These numbers are comparable to a monster’s at-will attack. Use a limited damage expression, comparable to a monster’s special powers, for one-time damaging effects or massive damage.

Example: Shiera the 8th-level rogue wants to try the classic swashbuckling move of swinging on a chandelier and kicking an ogre in the chest on her way down to the ground, hoping to push the ogre into the brazier of burning coals behind it. An Acrobatics check seems reasonable.
This sort of action is exactly the kind of thinking you want to encourage, so you pick a moderate DC: The table says DC 14. If she makes that check, she gets a hold on the chandelier and swings to the ogre.

Then comes the kicking. She’s more interested in the push than in dealing any damage with the kick itself, so have her make a Strength attack against the ogre’s Fortitude. If she pulls it off, let her push the ogre 1 square and into the brazier, and find an appropriate damage number.Use a normal damage expression from the table, because once the characters see this trick work they’ll try anything they can to keep pushing the ogres into the brazier. You can safely use the high value, though— 2d8 + 5 fire damage. If Shiera had used a 7th-level encounter power and Sneak Attack, she might have dealt 4d6 (plus her Dexterity modifier), so you’re not giving away too much with this damage.

The biggest problem with this system is that it doesn't really give a tangible benefit to the players for trying something thematic, as compared to just utilising their powers that can also synergize with their feats and come with conditions. The closest benefit I have is that making a moderate DC check with a favoured skill would be easier than hitting a monsters defences, so you're more likely to get the effect than using a power that has to hit. (note that Shiera only has to make a DC 14 check. The weakest monster at level 8 has AC 20, and as a Rogue, Shira is at 4 + her Dex to hit DC 14. If she has training in Acrobatics, that's a 9 + Dex.) but all of that is for 2d8 +5 fire, as compared to just hitting with a weapon.

Without thinking about it, it could be easy to shy away from something like that by reasoning that trying the fancy, thematic action means that failure is much worse, as compared to just using a power and missing, even though the swashbuckling manoeuvre is actually more likely to occur. .

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Leperflesh posted:

And this is where you fall back on "it's an abstraction with a tangible in game effect". What's interesting is that particular encounter and the overall strategy used to defeat the enemies, not the description of every attack. I hardly think that when people were playing 3e and casting the same spell every time or making the same sword attack every time that they were coming up with unique descriptions on every turn.

My group didn't burn out because aside from the first time they used an ability and read the flavor text or the odd time when they wanted to do something cool with the same mechanical result, we all knew that they were more or less doing something at that moment that would get them the result of the power.

I think back on "The Book of the New Sun" when Severian says something to the effect of, "I practiced my art in the various villages we passed through. I will not describe each time I did so. Assume it was similar to other times," and the book carries forward from there.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah well that's the wrong way to play D&D. :colbert:

e: In any case, I think my point still stands. A lot of people's complaints about D&D (when you filter out the dumb) boils down to "it's not what I was looking for" which is fine. Obviously my issues are based on an idealized version of "playing a game with my friends" but that's what I liked about D&D.

It is a point that is often lost when people say 'D&D is bad' - 4E and the old school B/X editions of the game actually do their particular thing really well. On the other hand 3.5 only does wizard supremacy simulator and it doesn't do it particularly well.

You can pitch a game concept to which the right answer to 'what system should I use for this' is 4E but I have no idea what that pitch would be for where the right answer is 3.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I have no idea what that pitch would be for where the right answer is 3.5

I want to run a game where a bunch of nerdy wizards who were bullied in high school try to wipe out all martial fighters.

• Locked thread