Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm convinced that nobody outside of apple really truly knows core data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Steve Jobs took that secret to his grave.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it's literally named after the bit of the apple that you're supposed to throw away

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Opening and closing sub forum listings seems to completely break the forums list. About 80% of the time the list doesn't visually expand/collapse, but tapping on the screen will lead me to a seemingly random forum.

Current App Store version, iPhone 7, most recent iOS.

Edit: attempting to refresh the forums list page causes everything off screen to vanish; scrolling down leads to a blank abyss.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A tiny bug I found that's tricky to reproduce unfortunately, but if you open an unread thread, go back and try to tap and hold the same thread before/right as it adds the unread post number and makes its way up to the top of the forum thread list, the forum freezes. The top bar still works so you can go back to the forums list after which everything is fine. Like I said, a tiny bug.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I just pushed a change to include an Empty Cache button in Settings. However, I was never really affected by the original problem, so I'm not really sure if it clears the right things. People who had Awful taking up nearly a gig of space: what's your favorite threads?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

carry on then posted:

I just pushed a change to include an Empty Cache button in Settings. However, I was never really affected by the original problem, so I'm not really sure if it clears the right things. People who had Awful taking up nearly a gig of space: what's your favorite threads?

Awful takes up 3.28gb right now. I blame the Trump thread, but most of my bookmarks have a lot of embedded tweets or gifs. I also saw a new glitch yesterday. Part of the share page stayed open, which persisted across many pages. I can't upload the pic to imgur for some reason.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
3.32 here, Trump thread and lots of PYF and the DnD Picture thread.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Hmm okay, I was able to get Awful from 55MB to 500MB and the button took it down to 80MB. So this might help.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

carry on then posted:

Hmm okay, I was able to get Awful from 55MB to 500MB and the button took it down to 80MB. So this might help.

Thanks

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
1.21 GB, and lots of screenshot let's play threads.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
2.8 gigs of glorious Trump thread on my iphone. This is going to get me killed by the Trump police if I try to flee to Canada. Glad I ponied up extra to buy the 64 gig phone.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
1.5 here and trump thread

also a request: when composing a post and a new line begins with a colon cuz of a smilie can the app suppress wanting to capitalize the first alpha character?

:getin:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BeOSPOS posted:

also a request: when composing a post and a new line begins with a colon cuz of a smilie can the app suppress wanting to capitalize the first alpha character?

That's iOS default behavior. I don't think there's much that can be done about that.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GutBomb posted:

That's iOS default behavior. I don't think there's much that can be done about that.

I suspected as much. I know first word capitalization was suppressed in yospos threads but maybe that's an all or nothing approach?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It's tricky. The only thing I can think of would be to intercept editing events and, when it's a single uppercase character following a : following a newline, toLower it but I'm not sure if that's really recommended or not. Could try something out though.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah itd be simple enough to replace it with a lowercase character but getting it to suppress the keyboard behavior might not be doable

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

TsarZiedonis posted:

It's pretty much any thread after reading two or three pages, or if I switch between more then a few threads. I get about a dozen crashes a day or so.

I have an iPhone 6S with almost all of its memory free and iOS 10.2.1

Yep that's pretty lovely! I'll trawl the crash logs and see if I can spot anything. Or maybe it's something already on my list, who knows.

carry on then posted:

Hey pokeyman, the crash on login after changing password/logging out is coming from Core Data:

quote:

'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: 'Object's persistent store is not reachable from this NSManagedObjectContext's coordinator'

Of course the stack trace is way off into the weeds so I'm not sure I'll be of much help here. All I could see is that at some point around merging the managedobjectcontext with the contextdidsavenotification causes the problem. This jog your memory?

Sure does. My guess is some view controller has a Forum or something that it tries to read after the store gets wiped. Maybe the answer is some kind of "we're about to clear Core Data, hold on to your butts" notification and everything can dump its managed objects.

Snuffman posted:

Can the cache be capped or a delete cache button added? I don't like having to delete this app every other week.
(also many others reporting same issue)

It is definitely on the list. Unfortunately the zero minutes I'm putting into Awful these days is paying few rewards.

dont be mean to me posted:

Log out and log back in.

Doesn't seem to save your settings if you log out, though.

They need to fix both of those. Maybe a 'clear cache' button in Settings > [apps section] Awful? But I have no idea the technical issues behind clearing cache.

I'm still on the side of wiping settings after logging out. 100% agree about storage space though.

JazzFlight posted:

If you see Lowtax's newest announcement thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

He seems to want to move to a different service for the forums. I'm completely dumb about all of this: would this break the Awful app and require a full redesign?
I get that Lowtax is all about ignoring that this app exists and prefers making a mobile-friendly version of the forums to just browse using Safari or whatever, but I really prefer using the Awful app. I'm on it like all the time.

It would completely break the Awful app. My motto for Awful has always been "better than Safari", so imo the first step after a migration would be to give an honest try to just using the Forums as intended. If the experience is poo poo, maybe it's still app time. I doubt there's much value in porting Awful to the new system, and I'd advocate for just starting from scratch. There's also no reason I'd have to lead any new app, and I'd be more than happy to contribute to some other project if one starts up.

But I'm not holding my breath waiting for the migration. Basically this:

ulmont posted:

1. Yes.
2. There are existing Xenforo mobile apps.
3. Judging by past performance, this will never happen anyway.
though if there exist compatible apps already then I'd tack those on the "try these first before GOON PROJECT" list.

TBeats posted:

This isn't really a big deal to me but I'm just curious about something: why does the app sometimes get an SSL error on my school's wifi and other times works fine? If I turn wifi off and then on again the error goes away but comes back randomly.

My guess is your wifi has some kind of captive portal thinger ("please sign in", "click here to agree") that's intercepting requests.

carry on then posted:

Not ours because I believe ours is a core data store the OS has no concept of it to be able to provide something like that without substantial logic on our part. All I know about core data is it can store things and something something it breaks a lot. I'm learning as I go but this is tough.

There is a Caches folder that we should probably put the Core Data store in. But I have no idea when iOS actually cleans out Caches folders, so it may not be of any particular help.

I did try to automatically prune the Core Data store, but it crashes a lot, so it's hard to say whether it's a net improvement.

Soricidus posted:

it's literally named after the bit of the apple that breeds more and more apples until you run out of space

jivjov posted:

Opening and closing sub forum listings seems to completely break the forums list. About 80% of the time the list doesn't visually expand/collapse, but tapping on the screen will lead me to a seemingly random forum.

Current App Store version, iPhone 7, most recent iOS.

Edit: attempting to refresh the forums list page causes everything off screen to vanish; scrolling down leads to a blank abyss.

I, uh... sorry. On the list with you!

Stare-Out posted:

A tiny bug I found that's tricky to reproduce unfortunately, but if you open an unread thread, go back and try to tap and hold the same thread before/right as it adds the unread post number and makes its way up to the top of the forum thread list, the forum freezes. The top bar still works so you can go back to the forums list after which everything is fine. Like I said, a tiny bug.

That's fun! It seems tiny but I bet it's a symptom of some larger stupidity on my part, so it might fix some other things too. On the list!

BeOSPOS posted:

This bugs me too, but I haven't come up with a clean way to deal with it :(

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

It would completely break the Awful app. My motto for Awful has always been "better than Safari", so imo the first step after a migration would be to give an honest try to just using the Forums as intended. If the experience is poo poo, maybe it's still app time. I doubt there's much value in porting Awful to the new system, and I'd advocate for just starting from scratch. There's also no reason I'd have to lead any new app, and I'd be more than happy to contribute to some other project if one starts up.

Any interest in writing up an Awful postmortem? You probably have more insight into what to do or not for this kind of project if we start it over.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The clear cache in the beta version immediately freed up 2.5gb for me. Just would like the button to have some sort of feedback that it did something. If it could tell me how much space was cleared that would be even better.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
What's this empty sub forum that I can only see in awful? Apps In Developmental States

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

`Nemesis posted:

What's this empty sub forum that I can only see in awful? Apps In Developmental States

It's a "Dev" forum, for testing posting / making threads, without having to poo poo up an existing forum. It's only available on a per-user basis.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The Dave posted:

The clear cache in the beta version immediately freed up 2.5gb for me. Just would like the button to have some sort of feedback that it did something. If it could tell me how much space was cleared that would be even better.

Like this?

Honestly with as simple as this was, maybe we can think about just autopurging if it gets beyond 1GB, or maybe a percentage of free space? I'd probably keep the button as a manual override.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yep!

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Yay I went hog wild. Only 8mb this time since I cleared it pre popup.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I had 8.2 GB :catstare:

After logging out and back in it's 48.2 MB so that's cool. The button in settings to delete the cache would be a great thing

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I use a password manager that I only keep on my computer, so it's a pain to log out/log in to reset cache. A button would be very convenient :)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

331,5MB here, though I did a relog a few weeks back after a password reset and I do browse pretty image heavy threads on a daily basis so I'm surprised it isn't a lot more (I have a 64GB phone). I think the most I've had was about 1,5GB though so a button to clear it all would be very nice!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

carry on then posted:

Any interest in writing up an Awful postmortem? You probably have more insight into what to do or not for this kind of project if we start it over.

I'll probably jot down some thoughts when we wrap this all up. Again, a new forums is confidently expected any decade now, so I'm not feeling any rush.

Keith Atherton posted:

I had 8.2 GB :catstare:

After logging out and back in it's 48.2 MB so that's cool. The button in settings to delete the cache would be a great thing

I'm hoping it'll be released by the end of the week!

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hello. Thanks for the cache button. Good poo poo.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The app doesn't hang on switching orientation in bookmarks anymore as well! Thanks!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Keith Atherton posted:

The app doesn't hang on switching orientation in bookmarks anymore as well! Thanks!

An amazing feature!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ty for the 5 gigs back carry on then

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Good update, thanks all

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Thank you for this good update

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Random question: for those who cleared several GB, did the app pause for awhile while clearing? Didn't even think to put in a throbber.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

carry on then posted:

Random question: for those who cleared several GB, did the app pause for awhile while clearing? Didn't even think to put in a throbber.

Yeah it paused for a few seconds to clear 1769 MB for me, though it didn't feel excessive. But on the other hand, more excellent throbbers are always a plus.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don't know how much my opinion matters but I'm okay with the app pausing for a bit if it ultimately clears up several GB of space. I'd rather that be the case than having to log out and log back in.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
Who doesn't like a good throbbing? You should make that the note when adding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Heh, nice

• Locked thread