Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I think Bill earns around $39,000/year because in the episode where Hank inadvertently shuts down the barber corps, he gets a check for $3,900 which is 10% of what he "saved" the government by eliminating waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hank goes to Arlen University to sell the arrowhead

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
It's almost as if a tv show doesn't have a completely consistent universe so that it can conveniently advance the plot...

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
true for most cartoons but actually King of the Hill is the most realistic so

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Testikles posted:

it might be based on a suburb but it's not meant to be a Dallas suburb. It appears to be a town separated from any major city. Characters have to travel out of their way to go to major cities and in Nancy Does Dallas, she moves out of the Gribble household to work in Dallas.

We gotta get to Dallas before the gangs wake up

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Arlen is simultaneously every east Texas town.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Arlen always struck me as somewhere on I-35 between Temple and Waco. That's roughly 3 hours away from Houston, so if you take traffic into account, it would match Kahn's 4 hour commute to the city that is mentioned multiple times. Love Field in Dallas would have been the closest major airport in the 90s, since Austin-Bergstrom only just opened as the series began. Fort Blanda where Bill works could be a fictionalized version of Fort Hood. There's even a real life Belton (as in Belton beat down) close by.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Rubber band reality

The show as a whole is whatever the plot of the episode needs it to be for that moment only

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

JediTalentAgent posted:

tl;dr: I'm obsessed with cracking the Arlen socio-economic riddle.

Hey, I still try to rationalize how Chinese fits into Firefly given that which I've learned in the China.jpg thread.

Also, all this talk of West Texas, but no mention of McConaughey as Rad Thibodeaux? Love the pronunciation.

Thee-buh-day-uks.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

mojo1701a posted:

Hey, I still try to rationalize how Chinese fits into Firefly given that which I've learned in the China.jpg thread.

Also, all this talk of West Texas, but no mention of McConaughey as Rad Thibodeaux? Love the pronunciation.

Thee-buh-day-uks.

"....sss---sss"

I'm your little Candy Man.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 20, 2017

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I love you! And Bobby! And Luanne! To a lesser extent!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

it's a shame this article didn't mention the miniatures museum: http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/port-aransas-spring-break-was-basically-one-gigantic-day-long-riot/

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

walgreenslatino posted:

We gotta get to Dallas before the gangs wake up
Dallas? That place is crawling with crackheads and debutantes.. and most of them play for the Cowboys!

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Hank gets really angry and defensive whenever Bobby gets any sort of world culture or view. He got super pissed off at the Buddhists because they think he is a a Lama.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
He's the San Glug.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Houle posted:

Hank gets really angry and defensive whenever Bobby gets any sort of world culture or view. He got super pissed off at the Buddhists because they think he is a a Lama.

quote:

MONK # 1: But that was Sanglug's mirror.
HEAD MONK: I know, but he didn't pick it.
MONK # 1: But he used it.
HEAD MONK: Tough call. But it's mine, and I made it.

gently caress I'm going to actually have to rewatch this show.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
What in the hell, thats the inside of a womb. A womans womb!

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Houle posted:

It makes sense because Bobby is impressionable, and he gets carried away in his new interests. Being god to billions of Asians can definitely go to his head.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Isaac posted:

What in the hell, thats the inside of a womb. A womans womb!

Every woman has a period.... uh, of time... every month...

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

http://kingofthehill.wikia.com/wiki/Lady_Bird I never realised there was a space in her name :eyepop:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

HAT FETISH posted:

http://kingofthehill.wikia.com/wiki/Lady_Bird I never realised there was a space in her name :eyepop:

whaaaaat

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Then, when you were standing there shocked that a one-legged man had kicked ya, he'd bite ya.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mike Judge's Silicon Valley is well worth checking out. Just finished season 2 and it is amazing. I like the hold over of making most characters good at what they do, I might put it ahead of Bob's Burgers.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Mike Judge's Silicon Valley is well worth checking out. Just finished season 2 and it is amazing. I like the hold over of making most characters good at what they do, I might put it ahead of Bob's Burgers.

I loved season 1 but for some reason it's lost its charm as it has continued.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i fuckin love king of the hill and this stupid commercial made me not want to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yj6X1-vnYM

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hank would NOT care about pulp

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

FuhrerHat posted:

hank would NOT care about pulp

But it's medium.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Hank only cares when people drink his grapefruit juice

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Wicker Man posted:

It makes sense because Bobby is impressionable, and he gets carried away in his new interests. Being god to billions of Asians can definitely go to his head.

The scene where Rev. Stroup starts being chill with it was funny.

I never knew it was originally Mary Tyler Moore that voiced her at first. Seems like when she stopped doing it, they really emphasized the Minnesotan accent.

"Bobby, d'ya love Gahhhd?"

Yabanjin
Feb 13, 2007

I AM smiling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LWl1jIsCFI

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

:perfect:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Then, when you were standing there shocked that a one-legged man had kicked ya, he'd bite ya.

The way he delivers the "he'd bite ya" line is making me laugh even remembering it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

FuhrerHat posted:

i fuckin love king of the hill and this stupid commercial made me not want to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yj6X1-vnYM

That's because you're actually part of the target audience, that commercial was an attempt to bring in mouth breathers.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I'd say Arlen sits somewhere between Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio but really the place is like Springfield in that it kind of floats about and its features change depending upon the episode.

That being said...

THE GATSBY COLLECTION

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Such a well written show. In that Santa Ana's leg episode they have middle schoolers doing class projects as exposition.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Someone stole Santa Clause's leg!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Someones got a birthday, I won-der who?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Testikles posted:

I'd say Arlen sits somewhere between Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio but really the place is like Springfield in that it kind of floats about and its features change depending upon the episode.

That being said...

THE GATSBY COLLECTION

Well, I do like delayed gratification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I just noticed in the Big Willie Lane episode he offers to sell Deion Sanders' truck to Hank. However, later on, Dale ends up buying Deion Sanders' Hyundai from him.