Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hedrigall posted:

Janelle Monae would have been the perfect Belle.

Yeah she's like 30 but so is Emma Watson, almost. And Janelle can loving sing!

This would be awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
But the children like Harry Potters and it makes the money like the Harry Potters? This is most important!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Das Boo posted:

But the children like Harry Potters and it makes the money like the Harry Potters? This is most important!

Breaking: Rupert Grint cast as Aladdin

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I dunno, he's more "rough in the diamond"

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Just got back from seeing it, but mostly I'll be echoing what has already been said. Autotune was distracting (every time it came up but really especially with Belle) and some of the character effects looked really stiff and weird. Most of the new stuff I actually liked; Gaston trying to butter Maurice up but getting sick of playing into the farce and tying him to the tree was pretty good, and I felt like it had a more natural flow than how events played out in the original film. But they had considerably more time to get these ideas across, so they could throw in things like that. Oh and the costumes were terrible. Just, really bad. I knew going in that the ball gown was going to be a disappointment, but I didn't expect that to be a throughline for the entire film.

Overall I would say that while it isn't as good as the original animated feature, it's still a good movie. You're probably not going to take away anything new from the experience but it's worth a watch if you've got nothing better to do.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Man, I would kill to see a movie where Belle uses her inventor's prowess to solve that bullshit magic curse. It'd be Something Ricked This Way Comes. You could even end it the same way.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
The irony of Emma Watson turning down La La Land, where the actors' inability to naturally sing perfectly was a part of the movie's charm (or at least was sold that way), to take Beauty, where there's no room for error and the fans tear the Autotune to shreds.

I'd argue she made the right call, as BatB was a surefire moneymaker while the other was risky - I'm pretty sure La La Land with Miles Teller and Emma Watson doesn't win six Oscars - but it's funny how things work out.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I haven't seen BatB 2017 nor do I particularly care to but in general when something is obviously autotuned it's a stylistic choice because we've been able to seamleasly sweeten singing voices to an unrecognizable degree for decades now.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So I remember in Waking Sleeping Beauty, Jodi Benson was being instructed on Part of Your World and was told "hitting the right key comes second to hitting the emotion" or such. I feel like I might know the answer from what I've seen, but does Watson at least emote her singing?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Das Boo posted:

So I remember in Waking Sleeping Beauty, Jodi Benson was being instructed on Part of Your World and was told "hitting the right key comes second to hitting the emotion" or such. I feel like I might know the answer from what I've seen, but does Watson at least emote her singing?

Not only does she fail to convey a sense of emotion through song, she also sort of blandly emotes pretty much everything else in the movie. My thought coming away was that she was an okay-but-not-stellar choice as Belle in an acting role and a dreadful choice as the singing voice of Belle.

Guy Mann posted:

I haven't seen BatB 2017 nor do I particularly care to but in general when something is obviously autotuned it's a stylistic choice because we've been able to seamleasly sweeten singing voices to an unrecognizable degree for decades now.

It's definitely not a stylistic choice here, because it only occurs in cases where the singer couldn't hit the notes on their own. The villagers were all fine, for instance.

Actually, I remember thinking during Belle's introduction song that she really does stand out as different from the rest of the village, but absolutely not in a good way. And before anyone suggests that as being motivation behind the heavy autotuning, she's not the only one who gets it that bad.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Emma Watson was a bad choice. I don't know why they went with her, surely not for added box office cos this movie was making bank regardless. I'm getting real sick of crewing your musicals with people who can't carry a tune.

I'm not sure who the best Belle was, but I would have liked Allison Brie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CRINDY posted:

The irony of Emma Watson turning down La La Land, where the actors' inability to naturally sing perfectly was a part of the movie's charm (or at least was sold that way), to take Beauty, where there's no room for error and the fans tear the Autotune to shreds.

I'd argue she made the right call, as BatB was a surefire moneymaker while the other was risky - I'm pretty sure La La Land with Miles Teller and Emma Watson doesn't win six Oscars - but it's funny how things work out.

I'd like everyone in this thread to take a moment and imagine Ryan Gosling's character in La La Land, who everyone had issue with for being really obnoxious about jazz and not the greatest singer, and replacing that with Miles Teller, who exudes a level of unlikability and smarm that is second to none in Hollywood.

Like, Ryan Gosling is charming, and replacing him with Miles Teller would have made that movie many degrees worse, regardless of whether you like it as it is. And I like Miles Teller, in the right role.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Alan_Shore posted:

Emma Watson was a bad choice. I don't know why they went with her, surely not for added box office cos this movie was making bank regardless. I'm getting real sick of crewing your musicals with people who can't carry a tune.

They can't because that episode of Community where she's in love with a vampire that literally makes fun of the exact content of BatB.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Pick posted:

They can't because that episode of Community where she's in love with a vampire that literally makes fun of the exact content of BatB.

Wait!

Teach me to read!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Alan_Shore posted:

Wait!

Teach me to read!

I used to dislike that moment in the Special Edition of BatB, but after that episode I just cannot stand it. It's too on-point.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

DC Murderverse posted:

I'd like everyone in this thread to take a moment and imagine Ryan Gosling's character in La La Land, who everyone had issue with for being really obnoxious about jazz and not the greatest singer, and replacing that with Miles Teller, who exudes a level of unlikability and smarm that is second to none in Hollywood.

Like, Ryan Gosling is charming, and replacing him with Miles Teller would have made that movie many degrees worse, regardless of whether you like it as it is. And I like Miles Teller, in the right role.

man, I can't see La La Land being as adored if that were the case, you take Gosling out and put an actor that can really ooze the snobbishness in his place and yowch. Maybe you'd still get the Oscar buzz but I dunno. And I like Miles Teller too, his casting in Whiplash made that movie.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

Breaking: Rupert Grint cast as Mulan

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Alan_Shore posted:

There's a difference between "making bank" and "earning enough money to buy a small country", and Allison Brie doesn't have the star power for the latter.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Alison Brie is also 8 years older than Emma Watson

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Emmy Rossum would have been a superior Belle imo. She can belt out a proper tune.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Counterpoint: Besides her singing (which I really don't mind either, it's not great, but whatever) Watson was wonderful as Belle. I thought the character really shined in her hands, and since she actually doesn't have all that many solo moment singing, I can tolerate her over-produced singing voice.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

man now I'm just gonna be bitter forever there isn't gonna be a Cybeauty and the Dance Beast

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hedrigall posted:

Monae is amazing, and I would have been there Day One when it came out. :allears:

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So when are we going to start getting live-action remakes of Pixar movies? :barf:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

21 Muns posted:

So when are we going to start getting live-action remakes of Pixar movies? :barf:
The Incredibles could sorta work in live-action.

I don't actively want that, mind, just it could work if we had to.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't know guys, I feel like a live action A Bug's Life could be pretty good.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 21, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Live action Toy Story. :ironicat:

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

They're doing Live Action Lion King, so anything's possible.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Das Boo posted:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Live action Up would... kinda work?

Live action Cars :shepface:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Hedrigall posted:

maximum overdrive

Barudak
May 7, 2007

How soon we forget Academy Award winning film, Brave.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Barudak posted:

How soon we forget Academy Award winning film, Brave.
A few days after seeing it

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I remember the bear, that's it really

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
That reminds me, how about a live-action remake of Avatar?

No, I mean the blue catpeople movie

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hedrigall posted:

Just The Fast and the Furious with all the actors Photoshopped out and no other changes

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

21 Muns posted:

That reminds me, how about a live-action remake of Avatar?

No, I mean the blue catpeople movie

Put a filter over Dances With Wolves, done.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

teagone posted:

Emmy Rossum would have been a superior Belle imo. She can belt out a proper tune.

uhhh have you seen phantom of the opera she definitely cannot

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Das Boo posted:

Put a filter over Dances With Wolves, done.

And just put a bunch of "elemental" effects over Bruce Lee flicks for a live-action version of the cartoon Avatar. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh I've got one: live action Wall-E. When it comes to all the obese humans in mobility scooters, they could just do a casting call at Disney World.