Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Visual is passive and difficult to jam. If you can overcome the issues with data interpretation and pair it with an INS, you have a system that's essentially immune to EW and able to self-correct and re-orient without external aid.

You can jam it with clouds. I'd get it if you wanted to supplement the sensor suite of drones so they could self navigate with no signals emission. Navigating by stars would also be a good way to enhance INS.

Platystemon posted:

Cruise missiles have navigated by landmarks for decades—using terrain, not visual, granted.

Yeah, radar-enhanced INS. Not exactly dead reckoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Jonny Nox posted:

um, excuse me, but cruise missiles know where they are at all times because they know where they aren't.

:colbert:

:golfclap::grin:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Computer vision is among the constellation of AI-related technologies that have been 5 years from maturity since the mid-80s. Like just the other month I was reading a Daniel Dennett chapter where he takes AIs reliably interpreting visual stimuli for granted in posing a philosophy of mind question and in a footnote goes "We don't have this now but Berkeley is networking 100 Apple IIs together and they're confident they'll have it cracked soon"

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
For a laugh I suggested a local air taxi client of mine gets a Combat Caravan to add to their EX fleet and pitch it for contract for law enforcement, borders, and fisheries. They laughed for a minute as intended then the MD looked thoughtful and said something about "we should put it in the missions brochure anyway"... our local sea fisheries agency wants to spend £2.4m on a new patrol boat and the issue is a long-burning political flaming turd. It will never happen of course, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAUOPHqx5Gs

Comrade Gorbash posted:

If you can overcome the issues with data interpretation

You can't just hand wave this away though. It's way, way harder than is obvious. Humans use immense amounts of imagination and intuition in decoding the visual world. It has been estimated that at any given time our brain is making up 70% of our perceived vision. As such visual interpretation seems incredibly obvious and easy to us, and it's hard to grasp for most why it's so hard for our robot pals.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My friend at work dropped this pearl of wisdom the other day: "we all have to die first". He explained it thusly.. Our generation, and the generation before, want a human up there controlling things. But everyone that comes after us is going to have grown up with self driving cars, Amazon drones, machine learning, and automation in all things, and they won't care if there isn't a human pilot up there flying the aircraft.
Here's my half baked scheme for the (sufficiently distant) future of air navigation: cruise and taxi is fully managed by computers. For takeoff and initial climb, approach and landing, ATC employs ex-air force drone operators to oversee and if necessary remotely operate aircraft in their airspace for those flight phases.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Ola posted:

I'd get it if you wanted to supplement the sensor suite of drones so they could self navigate with no signals emission.
Then you do get it, because that's precisely the point I was making.

For your other two points, a thick fog would be a problem, but you can't exactly call that up on demand. Automated celestial navigation is also a computer vision problem to begin with, and is a lot more difficult to compute than I think you're giving it credit for.

ReelBigLizard posted:

You can't just hand wave this away though. It's way, way harder than is obvious. Humans use immense amounts of imagination and intuition in decoding the visual world. It has been estimated that at any given time our brain is making up 70% of our perceived vision. As such visual interpretation seems incredibly obvious and easy to us, and it's hard to grasp for most why it's so hard for our robot pals.
I'm not. The question being asked was why do people keep bothering with such a difficult problem when we already have other systems to do the same job.

There are enormous benefits to solving the problem, thus why people keeping throwing money at it. And there has been progress - when the systems work, they have some pretty amazing results. That they're still terribly unreliable after all the money, time, and effort shows just how hard the problem is.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The device ban talked about yesterday came down for ME carriers.

quote:

Officials said devices like tablets, cameras, laptops, portable DVD players, e-readers, portable printers and scanners, and video games will have to be placed in checked baggage under the new policy, but medical devices will be permitted. The restrictions won't affect crew members.

The policy covers about 50 direct daily flights into the United States from nine airlines flying from 10 overseas airports.

The airlines are:

Royal Jordanian
EgyptAir
Turkish Airlines
Saudi Arabia Airlines
Kuwait Airways
Royal Air Maroc
Qatar Airways
Emirates Air
Etihad Airways

The airports are:

Queen Alia International, Amman, Jordan
Cairo International, Egypt
Ataturk International, Istanbul, Turkey
King Abdulaziz, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
King Khalid International, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Kuwait International, Farwaniya, Kuwait
Mohammed V International, Casablanca, Morocco
Doha International, Qatar
Dubai International, United Arab Emirates
Abu Dhabi International, United Arab Emirates

No U.S. airlines are affected because none operate flights directly to the United States from those airports.

A senior Trump administration official said the airlines are being given 96 hours to fully implement the rules, starting 3 a.m. ET Tuesday, because "evaluated intelligence indicates that terror groups continue to target aviation, to include smuggling explosives in electronic devices."

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Computer vision is among the constellation of AI-related technologies that have been 5 years from maturity since the mid-80s. Like just the other month I was reading a Daniel Dennett chapter where he takes AIs reliably interpreting visual stimuli for granted in posing a philosophy of mind question and in a footnote goes "We don't have this now but Berkeley is networking 100 Apple IIs together and they're confident they'll have it cracked soon"

American infrastructure is the great white whale of autonomous driving technology.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

I could've sworn I'd seen ATL-DXB on Delta and IAH-DXB on United when passing through ATL/IAH.

Apparently no US flag carrier flies into DXB now? Hope you have club access in AMS or uh where would you go for star alliance, LHR?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

Edit: Last year a Navy exercise employing GPS jamming forced a bizjet to declare an emergency after it hosed with his autopilot, which started making unexpected control inputs. Read your NOTAMS, people.

IIRC, that was caused because new Embraers use GPS as an input to their yaw damper, and it started seeing impossible position changes and kicked offline. Most autopilots won't function without an active yaw damper.

Which is a little like a car where the steering wheel falls off when the nav system loses GPS signal.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Which is a little like a car where the steering wheel falls off when the nav system loses GPS signal.

Which is bound to be released anytime soon in this age of the internet of lovely things.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
internet of things devices would be far more tolerable if it weren't for the fact that everyone does them entirely wrong.

Like suppose you have a thermostat that you can control from a cellphone or whatever. Instead of *directly connecting to the thermostat* the thermostat connects to some server and then you connect to the server and the server tells the thermostat what temperature it should be set to. Then this server is actually running on amazon AWS. Then to pay for this server the company collects data on your home heating habits and sells it to advertising data analytics companies. And then when the server dies your home freezes and your loving pipes burst.

It's aggravatingly stupid. Just make the device the server.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 21, 2017

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mortabis posted:

internet of things devices would be far more tolerable if it weren't for the fact that everyone does them entirely wrong.

Like suppose you have a thermostat that you can control from a cellphone or whatever. Instead of *directly connecting to the thermostat* the thermostat connects to some server and then you connect to the server and the server tells the thermostat what temperature it should be set to. Then this server is actually running on amazon AWS. Then to pay for this server the company collects data on your home heating habits and sells it to advertising data analytics companies. And then when the server dies your home freezes and your loving pipes burst.

It's aggravatingly stupid. Just make the device the server.

The problem with that is you're relying on Joey Homeowner to manage things like DNS and NAT and dealing with it when his ISP changes his IP address for no good reason. A lot of time and effort has gone into getting technology to a point where people don't have to be CCNA certified to google "ask jeeves dot com" any more.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wonder if the recent AWS outage caused any dehydration deaths when smart water bottles failed to notify their owners they were thirsty.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The Concorde wasn't a comfortable plane to be in. Sure the service was nice, but cabin-wise it's CRJ coach with nicer materials and maybe more legroom.
And cost like twelve thousand quid for a ticket, when the Pound was strong (tbh , that's the "buy a ticket on the next flight" price, booking in advance it was ONLY 8k USD.) Same reason people still took ocean liners into and well after transatlantic Zeppelin service in half the time was a thing -- you could have a real nice berth, take all your poo poo with you, and more smoking areas on a boat for half the price of a tiny cubbyhole on a Zeppelin.

Also that "Why don't planes fly faster" video takes ten minutes to say "it gets real expensive real quick if you go any faster than they do, and people won't pay for it." The do actually fly a bit slower these days than they used to, at best fuel economy speed rather than the fastest they can before Mach effects become a problem, as they did in the '60s when Jet A was cheap.

PT6A posted:

Has anyone been working on making an autopilot based on computer vision instead of external navaids? If so, how successful has it been?
Yes, if you count the USAF's nap-of-the-earth terrain-following-radar in the F-111 and (IIRC) B-1B as "computer vision" (the computers are driving by what they "see", it's just not a human-visible wavelength) it was solved likely before you were born. In civil aviation where you're five miles up, just point it in the direction, correct for wind, and have the collision-avoidance system wake up the pilots is all they need.

And since somebody mentioned cruise missiles, ICBMs navigate by getting a fix on fuckin' stars, same as the mariners of old. GPS is easy to jam/spoof, the view of the sky from just above the atmosphere is somewhat more difficult to gently caress with.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Drones like the RQ-170 use also terrain radar and stored onboard terrain data to navigate without GPS, which punches some holes in the Iranian hijacking story.

This was done in 2012 by MIT and I'm sure there are even cooler things under development with classified money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYs215TgI7c

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vitamin J posted:

Drones like the RQ-170 use also terrain radar and stored onboard terrain data to navigate without GPS, which punches some holes in the Iranian hijacking story.

This was done in 2012 by MIT and I'm sure there are even cooler things under development with classified money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYs215TgI7c

There been autonomous drone contests for students for at least a decade. The problem with all this is that if things go off the rails they completely go off the rails. Human being are really good at adapting to little changes that may cause your neural net created control system to go off to infinity.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

This popped up in my local pilots group, and I don't recall this being posted here. It's the cabin of the Challenger 604 that hit the A380 turbulence.

Sauce

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
:catstare: not sure if blood or raspberry cheese cake

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

PT6A posted:

Has anyone been working on making an autopilot based on computer vision instead of external navaids? If so, how successful has it been?

Wouldn't the best way to make a vision-based airplane nav system be to just point a camera at the cockpit guages

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Entone posted:

This popped up in my local pilots group, and I don't recall this being posted here. It's the cabin of the Challenger 604 that hit the A380 turbulence.

Sauce

:stare:

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

There been autonomous drone contests for students for at least a decade. The problem with all this is that if things go off the rails they completely go off the rails. Human being are really good at adapting to little changes that may cause your neural net created control system to go off to infinity.

In an older report, the chief scientist of the USAF said that a problem with autonomy is verifying the autonomy algorithm. An autonomous algorithm has potentially an infinite input space, so testing cannot cover all possibly inputs. Yet, such exhausting testing is necessary to avoid the autonomy algorithm being vulnerable to a shift in inputs.

For example, attacks are possible against neural networks where a tailored adjustment to the inputs causes the network to change it's decision output significantly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sperglord posted:

In an older report, the chief scientist of the USAF said that a problem with autonomy is verifying the autonomy algorithm. An autonomous algorithm has potentially an infinite input space, so testing cannot cover all possibly inputs. Yet, such exhausting testing is necessary to avoid the autonomy algorithm being vulnerable to a shift in inputs.

For example, attacks are possible against neural networks where a tailored adjustment to the inputs causes the network to change it's decision output significantly.

That’s also true of the human brain, though.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Ugh. Because a bomb in an overhead bin is so much more dangerous than a bomb in a luggage hold.

Guess I'm never flying Emirates again. No-way in hell I'll check my laptop so it can get lost or stolen. I can't work without it and it's the sole loving reason I'm traveling.

And if you think my expensive camera lenses can get thrown around by your average baggage handler monkey, thing again.

Countdown until Qantas is hit too.

[Note: The same rule applies to the UK now]

e: looks like the UK considers Emirates, Etihad and Qatar safe enough.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 21, 2017

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Device ban strikes me more as a protectionist thing than security thing. Gives a competitive advantage to domestic carriers.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Mortabis posted:

Device ban strikes me more as a protectionist thing than security thing. Gives a competitive advantage to domestic carriers.

The ban isn't airline specific. If US carriers flew those routes, they would face similar requirements.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

HookedOnChthonics posted:

No. Those two examples are nothing alike, the Apple IIs one is TRL 0 or TRL 1 if it actually sorta works. The Tesla is TRL 9. It is a working system.

We have actual cars that navigate on computer vision, or CV with sensor fusion now. You posted a video of one. Cars which are statistically half as likely to get into accidents as their human counterparts despite millions of miles driven in hundreds of environments. Its the highest technology readiness level on the DoD scale, significant actual use of the complete system in a range of environments.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Mortabis posted:

They make a point of saying there aren't any domestic carriers on those routes (to the US).

It's definitely a "all Muslims are terrorists" thing combined with a "you SHOULD be scared" thing and a dash of "only conservative governments can keel you safe" thing. And you'll be reminded every time you travel.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 21, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Comrade Gorbash posted:

For your other two points, a thick fog would be a problem, but you can't exactly call that up on demand.

Edit: Being able to call it up on demand is only part of the problem. It's an environmental concern that you can't just ignore.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ola posted:

Don't know if the best ones are accurate enough to autoland after an intercontinental trip.

The best ones? Yeah, the best ones are that accurate. No one is paying to put the best ones on commercial aircraft though. The IMU alone might cost almost as much as the aircraft carrying it.

Maybe in another couple decades. Gyros and accelerometers are progressing pretty steadily.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Murgos posted:

The best ones? Yeah, the best ones are that accurate. No one is paying to put the best ones on commercial aircraft though. The IMU alone might cost almost as much as the aircraft carrying it.

Maybe in another couple decades. Gyros and accelerometers are progressing pretty steadily.

We currently have UAVs capable of landing on carriers autonomously right now. I tend to believe they can do so with a lot of degraded conditions such as no GPS.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Automating landing on some early drones instead of letting military do it reduced crashes.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Captain Postal posted:

Ugh. Because a bomb in an overhead bin is so much more dangerous than a bomb in a luggage hold.
Well, lithium batteries are getting very powerful these days, they can be over 100 watt-hours in a laptop. You could take a ballpoint pen and stick it through the battery or simply short it out and cause a fire pretty easily that would be hard to put out.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Not sure if you're serious or /s

When was the last time you checked in on an international flight and they asked "do you have any spare batteries in your carry on luggage"? Spare batteries (regardless of size) can't go in checked luggage because of the actual risk of fire. Now batteries can't go in carry on because of the imaginary risk of terrorists.

Unless you remove the battery from your laptop so it can go carry on and the laptop is checked. In which case, what have you achieved from a safety perspective?

In case you weren't being sarcastic, the perceived "threat" is bombs in laptops. Maybe they should - I dunno - x-ray the laptops then? (The actual threat is the batteries though)

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 21, 2017

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Captain Postal posted:

They make a point of saying there aren't any domestic carriers on those routes (to the US).

It's definitely a "all Muslims are terrorists" thing combined with a "you SHOULD be scared" thing and a dash of "only conservative governments can keel you safe" thing. And you'll be reminded every time you travel.

Yes, but people connect through those hubs on those airlines to other final destinations, which competes with US routes.

e: so, I don't have any evidence that this was motivated behind the scenes by trying to help out US airlines, but regardless of whether it was I bet they're happy about it. And I'm curious if it could violate WTO.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 22, 2017

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

We currently have UAVs capable of landing on carriers autonomously right now. I tend to believe they can do so with a lot of degraded conditions such as no GPS.

With just the imu? Or are they using other systems when they get close to the carrier?

I agree that a moderately priced IMU will get you close enough to an airport after a transatlantic flight to pick up other nav aids that aren't GPS and land relatively safely. That's not what I interpreted the question to be though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mortabis posted:

Yes, but people connect through those hubs on those airlines to other final destinations, which competes with US routes.

e: so, I don't have any evidence that this was motivated behind the scenes by trying to help out US airlines, but regardless of whether it was I bet they're happy about it. And I'm curious if it could violate WTO.

Oh, probably. The current administration doesn't really do "consult with experts."

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Murgos posted:

With just the imu? Or are they using other systems when they get close to the carrier?

I agree that a moderately priced IMU will get you close enough to an airport after a transatlantic flight to pick up other nav aids that aren't GPS and land relatively safely. That's not what I interpreted the question to be though.

If I knew I couldn't say but I'd have to assume they'd use a variety of nav and landing aids. Really I should've probably quoted the original post and not yours.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mortabis posted:

Some more speculation along these lines. I believe WTO has a security carveout generally, but yeah you'd think you'd have to be prepared to prove it up.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.57f59da77133

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Godholio posted:

Edit: Being able to call it up on demand is only part of the problem. It's an environmental concern that you can't just ignore.
Yeah, it's a pretty desperate move. And if stopping your drones pushes your opponent into wrecking their economy and maybe the country as a whole...

CarForumPoster posted:

No. Those two examples are nothing alike, the Apple IIs one is TRL 0 or TRL 1 if it actually sorta works. The Tesla is TRL 9. It is a working system.

We have actual cars that navigate on computer vision, or CV with sensor fusion now. You posted a video of one. Cars which are statistically half as likely to get into accidents as their human counterparts despite millions of miles driven in hundreds of environments. Its the highest technology readiness level on the DoD scale, significant actual use of the complete system in a range of environments.
The problem here is conflating two different kinds of error, systematic and random. Humans tend to make random errors - if you run someone through the same situation a hundred times, they'll probably screw up at some point, but you can only predict it as a statistical chance. Programmed systems already do far better than humans with random errors.

What's holding programmed systems back currently is that they keep finding systematic errors. That is, if it screws something up, it'll screw it up exactly the same way every time. That's a huge issue when you're talking about large scale deployment.