Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Lid posted:

So... they don't have the numbers?
https://twitter.com/Nick_Xenophon/status/844060185068896256

Insert a sad trombone sound here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
They introduced it in the senate so MPs in marginal seats wouldn't have to vote for it.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So did the babies whining about not being allowed to be racist win or not? There is a lot of noise that contradicts what I've read on my Facebook feed atm.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

They introduced it in the senate so MPs in marginal seats wouldn't have to vote for it.
They could achieve the same result by not introducing it at all.

Seriously what is the game here? They're breaking an election promise for no policy result and I can't see what they think they will get out of this.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Lets all take a tour through suburban racism stories!

https://twitter.com/mrbenjaminlaw/status/844020354448211968

(Read through the comments, if you really want to)

I mean, as a not-white person I've had a few instances of "go back to where you come from gook" or "I don't wanna date a yellow person", but a couple of the stories in that comment section are pretty bad.

Spudd posted:

So did the babies whining about not being allowed to be racist win or not? There is a lot of noise that contradicts what I've read on my Facebook feed atm.

They haven't officially had the vote yet, but if Nick Xenophon's party votes en bloc, then it's hosed and it won't go further than announcing and re-raising it as an issue.
I can't seriously believe they thought all the saccharine bullshit being thrown out by the media (not even the right wing media, jesus) over Bill Leak's death would get it through.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 21, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

quote:

NSW Police Minister fined for using phone in car, says he didn't know it was illegal

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Hahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhaahhahaa

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

They've got maybe a month to get Brandis out of the country before the Bell Group case returns and Brandis gets properly hosed for being an immensely stupid, and incompetent lawyer.

All the WA Liberals were gonna be hosed too, but their lawyers successfully argued for an adjournment until after the election they knew they were going to lose. Friend of mine on the case was pretty bitter about that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Don't laugh, he's a Nat, so it sounds plausible.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I was visiting some friends in the APS a few weeks back, and they were of the legit opinion that Brandis' downfall isn't necessarily a lack of intelligence but rather a complete and total inability to delegate anything ever due to his belief that no one else could do anything as intelligently as he can.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Schlesische posted:

They haven't officially had the vote yet, but if Nick Xenophon's party votes en bloc, then it's hosed and it won't go further than announcing and re-raising it as an issue.
I can't seriously believe they thought all the saccharine bullshit being thrown out by the media (not even the right wing media, jesus) over Bill Leak's death would get it through.

Even in death he still serves, but Jesus Christ this entire thing is stupid I can't believe how loving often I have to explain what 18D is to people who want 18C repealed.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I was visiting some friends in the APS a few weeks back, and they were of the legit opinion that Brandis' downfall isn't necessarily a lack of intelligence but rather a complete and total inability to delegate anything ever due to his belief that no one else could do anything as intelligently as he can.

Thats still a lack of intelligence. Being too stupid to know that you need help in a job as big as the AG is pretty loving stupid.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Solemn Sloth posted:

So... being too dumb to know any better is what they meant.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

NTRabbit posted:

They've got maybe a month to get Brandis out of the country before the Bell Group case returns and Brandis gets properly hosed for being an immensely stupid, and incompetent lawyer.

All the WA Liberals were gonna be hosed too, but their lawyers successfully argued for an adjournment until after the election they knew they were going to lose. Friend of mine on the case was pretty bitter about that.

Please tell me they're still exposed as gently caress and Colin might go to jail HNNGGG

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Bogan King posted:

Thats still a lack of intelligence. Being too stupid to know that you need help in a job as big as the AG is pretty loving stupid.

At any high level job the ability to delegate is paramount. Judging who the right resource is also critical as while you may delegate you never abdicate responsibility.
I think Brandis is just straight out incompetent from basic office skills through to his legal opinions which seem to be wrong at every instance.
I would have sacked him long ago if he was one of my employees.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

What was adjourned?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

hooman posted:

What was adjourned?

I don't know the specifics, either because he can't tell me or my eyes glazed over when he tried. Something about a motion to force ministers to testify or some such, I think. His firm represents one of the other debtors from the collapse, and it was his firm that figured out the WA government wasn't legally entitled to any of the money, which spurred the midnight session to pass hilarious unconstitutional laws that said "nu uh, we're actually entitled to all of it now", which is where Brandis was involved, and the ATO, and where he tried to circumvent the Solicitor General in all things in the future, because the SG was busy telling everyone just how wrong the laws were instead of goose stepping to the Liberal party tune.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 21, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Uhhhh.....

Peter Dutton working behind the scenes to legislate same-sex marriage before CEO spray

quote:

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton - who last week lambasted corporate leaders for publicly supporting marriage equality - has been working behind the scenes to help Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull find a path to legalise same-sex marriage in this term of Parliament.

Mr Dutton, one of the government's leading conservatives, told colleagues following the defeat of the plebiscite in the Senate last year that the issue would be an ongoing distraction unless it was dealt with before the next election.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
It's that lovely postal vote plebiscite idea. Of course he supports it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling corporations

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
If only they had control of the lower house and could find some way to legalise it!

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

LNP have mastered the art of postal vote harvesting. Their bloc voters respond very well to postal vote solicitation.

Hell, Morrison admitted that they had a superior postal vote scam on election night last year, that's why he was confident close seats would fall their way.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Absolutely leaked by Dutton himself to boost his preferred PM numbers

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
https://twitter.com/amazon_au/status/844052388826697728

freebooter posted:

Absolutely leaked by Dutton himself to boost his preferred PM numbers

To 3.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

MiniSune posted:

At any high level job the ability to delegate is paramount. Judging who the right resource is also critical as while you may delegate you never abdicate responsibility.
I think Brandis is just straight out incompetent from basic office skills through to his legal opinions which seem to be wrong at every instance.
I would have sacked him long ago if he was one of my employees.

But have you seen his bookcase? It's so big, it's so impressive. Anyone with a bookcase that full of books, which they have obviously read and not bought as a prop piece, must be of an immense intellect. How could you fire such a brain?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/844121059406180352

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Konomex posted:

But have you seen his bookcase? It's so big, it's so impressive. Anyone with a bookcase that full of books, which they have obviously read and not bought as a prop piece, must be of an immense intellect. How could you fire such a brain?

I have all these nice book shelves ordered at very high taxpayer expense. What can I fill them with?

I know - I'll order ten sets of encyclopedias to load them up. That way everyone will know how intelligent I am.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
He buys printed copies of the Commonwealth Law Reports FFS.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

He buys printed copies of the Commonwealth Law Reports FFS.

And keeps them in pristine condition. Some would say mint.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

DancingShade posted:

And keeps them in pristine condition. Some would say mint.

Never Read

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

Howdy D&D

Vote for my dog as best dog so the RSPCA and the Animal Shelter I got him in gets goon money.

Also Rusty is a good dog.

I'm sorry, I had to vote for Dogface. I... I didn't have a choice...

she knooows

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Measly Twerp posted:

I'm sorry, I had to vote for Dogface. I... I didn't have a choice...

she knooows

You can vote for more than one thing in those polls :ssh:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
VOTE RUSTY
Receive...First Dog?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

haha time for culture wars

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why does gender matter?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is it because we use it to form identity?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
because we have to know if you like pink or blue

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bowmore posted:

Why does gender matter?

Because a bunch of people hate women.

Adbot