Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Thank you, I have been searching for that for ages and by that I mean I googled 'fighter flowchart' couple times. The results were depressive.

Have this as reward.
https://vid.pr0gramm.com/2017/01/03/75a3a68d87fb112b.mp4

throw to first DAMN IT fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

ARB is actually 100% correct though and this has long been a problem semi-plagueing L5R. "I want to run a samurai game" is close to meaningless because of how broad that is. Do you want high flying over the top swordplay action? Because that's going to be extremely different from a far more drama heavy Seven Samurai style game! Do you just want to be a cool duder with a katana in an otherwise standard fantasy setting? And what kind of samurai are we talking here anyways - are you anime as gently caress, wearing little armor and focusing entirely on your GLORIOUS FOLDED STEEL, or are you someone in armor, on horseback, with a bow and a spear?

L5R's been plagued by it's on indecision and the rules have long been a hot mess trying to figure it out. You have shugenja which are supposed to be pacifist holy men and women but in practice end up being D&D wizards, you got a system heavy on lethality and meaningless death in a game advertising being a rad warrior who dies gloriously, it constantly tries to beat you over the head over the idea that you are just another dumb shmuck in a setting that is filled to the goddamn brim with rad heroes who do the impossible, and etc, etc.

There should be a full game about being a samurai aesthete that appraises teaware masterpieces and decorating and hosting tea ceremonies.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Basically read/watch Hyouge Mono you barbarians.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Reflections is perfect for Samurai. It's a narrative game that tries to tell a specfic kind of Samurai story: the two friends who grow to hate and kill each other.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

There should be a full game about being a samurai aesthete that appraises teaware masterpieces and decorating and hosting tea ceremonies.

So it would be a literal Magical Tea Party? :rimshot:

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Covok posted:

Reflections is perfect for Samurai. It's a narrative game that tries to tell a specfic kind of Samurai story: the two friends who grow to hate and kill each other.

Oh dang; I listened to an actual play of that on One Shot and it seemed perfect for that sort of thing.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

From a little bit back...

Waffleman_ posted:

Speaking of deck building games based on nerd stuff, did that Space Dandy game that got Kickstarted a couple years ago ever come out?

It did. No idea if it's actually good though.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Does anyone have a link to Liesmith's old paladin threads? My google fu is failing me.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Doodmons posted:

Does anyone have a link to Liesmith's old paladin threads? My google fu is failing me.

I didn't knew he was a F2P Hero Shooter fan

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Doodmons posted:

Here's one. I don't have the other one handy, so if you find it I'd love to see it again.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, I see Blades in the Dark has been finally released. How did it turn out?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

ZearothK posted:

So, I see Blades in the Dark has been finally released. How did it turn out?

It's very good. During the first few pre-release versions, I felt like it was suffering feature creep and kind of lost interest. The final version turned out great. It's got very cool, solid rules specifically for playing heists, which is the bulk of what the game wants you to do with it. The opening scene and flashback mechanics are interesting things that people might want to check out even if you're not interested in heist games.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

That Old Tree posted:

It's very good. During the first few pre-release versions, I felt like it was suffering feature creep and kind of lost interest. The final version turned out great. It's got very cool, solid rules specifically for playing heists, which is the bulk of what the game wants you to do with it. The opening scene and flashback mechanics are interesting things that people might want to check out even if you're not interested in heist games.

Have the hard copies been sent out yet?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

LeSquide posted:

Have the hard copies been sent out yet?

I believe they're supposed to be shipping sometime in the next month or two.

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k
Speaking of awkward segues...

My app, Dave's Mapper, now runs on https and has like a 400x speed and bandwidth improvement. If you need some randomly generated dungeon or cavern or city or spaceship maps or just feel like loving around with a web app for a few minutes, please check it out. And then whine to me and tell me what you hate about it so I can improve it. Or something.

Also, I still haven't managed to play an RPG yet, but I did see the movie Mazes and Monsters. Does that count for anything?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

davmillar posted:

Also, I still haven't managed to play an RPG yet, but I did see the movie Mazes and Monsters. Does that count for anything?

Well, you've now seen one of the best RPG movies ever.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

davmillar posted:

Now watch Stranger Things and you'll have seen everything most people know about RPGs in 2017.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kai Tave posted:

Now watch Stranger Things and you'll have seen everything most people know about RPGs in 2017.

Don't forget the D&D episode of Dexter's Laboratory

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Don't forget the D&D episode of Dexter's Laboratory

that episode is twenty years old

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cease to Hope posted:

that episode is twenty years old

Maybe but it's still how a fairly good sized amount of people were introduced to RPG's as a concept back then(how I found out about it for example), and it more or less continued being aired for about 10 of those years as well

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Regular Show and Community had D&D episodes more recently

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

That Old Tree posted:

Well, you've now seen one of the best RPG movies ever.
I get the B-movie appeal, but I couldn't really bring myself to enjoy a movie that was born out of the anti-gaming hysteria of the 80s.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Just imagine your favorite fictional character saying "my character kills/fucks [random npc]" while all their friends laugh or look weirded out and you've properly emulated how RPGs are portrayed in the vast majority of media.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, most RPGs are just an elaborate version of kill-gently caress-marry.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I just found out that there's a D&D version of Dogs Playing Poker and I kind of want one.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rockopolis posted:

I just found out that there's a D&D version of Dogs Playing Poker and I kind of want one.
You can't say this and not post the image.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, most RPGs are just an elaborate version of kill-gently caress-marry.

Kill-gently caress-marry: a beholder, a mind flayer, or a red dragon. Discuss.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jimbozig posted:

Kill-gently caress-marry: a beholder, a mind flayer, or a red dragon. Discuss.

Semi-serious answer, kill the mind flayer because they eat human brains, gently caress the beholder because I'm curious how that would even work, and marry the red dragon because fire-breathing spouse with shapeshifting, spell-casting ability, and mad treasure.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kwyndig posted:

Semi-serious answer, kill the mind flayer because they eat human brains, gently caress the beholder because I'm curious how that would even work, and marry the red dragon because fire-breathing spouse with shapeshifting, spell-casting ability, and mad treasure.
Agreed, but you gently caress the beholder because their eyes have beauty in them.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Yawgmoth posted:

You can't say this and not post the image.
There's multiple versions - this one is listed on Amazon

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

The same artist also did Dogs Playing Magic.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Nuns with Guns posted:

The Regular Show and Community had D&D episodes more recently

I think it's fair to say everyone's mom has seen at least one episode of Big Bang Theory where D&D happens.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

If I remember correctly beholders have cloacas and give live birth.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This is just a foot in the door for that 4chan monster princess thing, isn't it? Fess up.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kwyndig posted:

Semi-serious answer, kill the mind flayer because they eat human brains, gently caress the beholder because I'm curious how that would even work...

I have answers if you really want them.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

i'm reasonably certain this is an anime genre these days

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

absolutely not

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm going to politely decline and leave it at that.

Rockopolis posted:

There's multiple versions - this one is listed on Amazon

Blue box? And Red Bull? Dog's aren't supposed to have caffeine :argh:

Asimo posted:

Of course it is.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
On the note of Dogs & Dragons, the comics anthology I work on did a short story about monsters playing D&D called Dundas & Dragons, and you might enjoy it. God knows I miss the days of being able to casually roll dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Asimo posted:

It's really good

• Locked thread