Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

Answer to the above - It specifically says 25% of base pay. It isn't the match i'm talking about.

That seems like it should be illegal, but I don't even know how to find out for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

silicone thrills posted:

I'm the low earner in my relationship if that helps put it into perspective. I'm 29 and we have the potential to be FI in about 6-7 years if we keep on track.

The plan is to try to negotiate up to 72 with this in mind for sure. There's enough jobs in my area that I can wait out for something better.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else had ever seen 401k contributions capped like that. I've had alot of job offers in the past month and that's probably one of the odder things i've seen.

Answer to the above - It specifically says 25% of base pay. It isn't the match i'm talking about.
Err sorry good point, it's not just matching percentage, but seriously - worry about total compensation more than how much you can put in your 401k. Maybe double the difference between your new max contribution and 18k to price the difference in? (Add in 7% of your old base as well.) 401k contribution vs post-tax pay is relatively easy to compare, and the latter is generally much more negotiable. If you're not maxing out your IRA, it's almost certainly moot. (Except for the 7%, make sure to price that in.)

Weirdest one I've seen is accounting software that only lets me contribute an integer percentage of my paycheck to a retirement account. This meant I couldn't max it out, because n% was under the annual limit but (n+1)% was over it. The benefits guy who was configuring it for me seemed very confused and mystified by me wanting anything else so I dropped it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
So I had a really nauseating moment in macroeconomics the other week where the professor - really charming guy - goes off on a tirade about the end of growth and pointed toward our demographic boom coming of age during a severe financial downturn as evidence that the long honeymoon would be over - that all of this stuff, large-scale trends away from consumption and toward frugality, spending less, financial independence - would come back to bite us by destroying the engine that brought us to this point.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So I had a really nauseating moment in macroeconomics the other week where the professor - really charming guy - goes off on a tirade about the end of growth and pointed toward our demographic boom coming of age during a severe financial downturn as evidence that the long honeymoon would be over - that all of this stuff, large-scale trends away from consumption and toward frugality, spending less, financial independence - would come back to bite us by destroying the engine that brought us to this point.
I want to punch the idea into him that when we stopped investing in the future by subsidizing education and removing social safety nets and enacted programs that concentrated wealth upward that's what has actually destroyed the engine

Everyone has their personal reasons for frugality and mine are a direct consequence of the inability to take financial risks in our social structure because we could literally end up starving to death on the street.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 15, 2017

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

I have seen online software that caps out at 25% - I never pushed it because 25% was enough to max, but I always kind of wondered if someone in HR could override that. Companies that don't offer a 3% safe harbor contribution are also subject to highly compensated employee rules, where a highly salaried (>120k or so?) employee is limited to a low contribution based on a bunch of factors.

I think 25% is also the contribution limit for some IRA based retirement profit sharing plans like a SEP and SIMPLE IRA, so maybe they have some weird overlap or structure involving one of those instead of a true 401k.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Weirdest one I've seen is accounting software that only lets me contribute an integer percentage of my paycheck to a retirement account. This meant I couldn't max it out, because n% was under the annual limit but (n+1)% was over it. The benefits guy who was configuring it for me seemed very confused and mystified by me wanting anything else so I dropped it.

Every 401(k) I've seen won't let you overcontribute. If the percentage you choose results in overcontribution you'll simply not get as much taken out of your last paycheck(s).

My current Fidelity 401(k) is like this, and even has a separate contribution percentage for roth.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Bhodi posted:

Everyone has their personal reasons for frugality and mine are a direct consequence of the inability to take financial risks in our social structure because we could literally end up starving to death on the street.

But capitalism rewards hard work!!!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That's what mine is. Pain in the rear end trying to max. I could change the contribution by 1% once or twice to get closer but it never seems to take effect on the paycheck I expect it to.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

Every 401(k) I've seen won't let you overcontribute. If the percentage you choose results in overcontribution you'll simply not get as much taken out of your last paycheck(s).

My current Fidelity 401(k) is like this, and even has a separate contribution percentage for roth.
There were a couple of factors that made me reticent. I was one of few employees in a us branch office of a canadian company, and the canadian benefits guy I was talking to had no idea how this SIMPLE IRA worked. Even if it did automatically stop, I was worried I'd lose out on some matching amount if I couldn't contribute the last month. I was ill at ease enough given the layered special cases that I accepted the difference and moved on.

Simple IRA does not have a percentage maximum for you, though it does have a maximum employer match of 3% of your salary.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Bhodi posted:

I want to punch the idea into him that when we stopped investing in the future by subsidizing education and removing social safety nets and enacted programs that concentrated wealth upward that's what has actually destroyed the engine

We're approaching year 10 of a bull market so I think it's premature to complain about a broken engine. Even if it is broken I think it's hard to blame education funding since more people have college degrees than ever. And the US has seen strong economic growth compared to many countries that subsidize education more than we do, France for example.

I think if returns start slowing it's because we don't have the next big invention to drive productivity growth yet. The industrial revolution kicked off in the 1800s and we got steam power, oil, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, cars, airplanes, nuclear and all sorts of totally new stuff that completely changed the world and gave us a ton of growth. Then the 1960s-1970s hit and we had computers which were almost as big of a deal. Now we have computers that are so fast that making them slightly faster doesn't help as much, we only get small incremental improvements. Going from having no computer to a slow computer makes me a much more productive engineer. Going from a slow computer to a fast computer makes me slightly more productive. Going from a fast computer to a really fast computer only helps a tiny bit. So rapid, sustained growth like we saw before is going to be difficult until somebody comes out with the next big thing.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Super Dan posted:

That seems like it should be illegal, but I don't even know how to find out for sure.

I work for one of the biggest companies in the US, and we have a 30% contribution limit as well. I asked HR if I could go over and was told no.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

OctaviusBeaver posted:

We're approaching year 10 of a bull market so I think it's premature to complain about a broken engine. Even if it is broken I think it's hard to blame education funding since more people have college degrees than ever. And the US has seen strong economic growth compared to many countries that subsidize education more than we do, France for example.

I think if returns start slowing it's because we don't have the next big invention to drive productivity growth yet. The industrial revolution kicked off in the 1800s and we got steam power, oil, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, cars, airplanes, nuclear and all sorts of totally new stuff that completely changed the world and gave us a ton of growth. Then the 1960s-1970s hit and we had computers which were almost as big of a deal. Now we have computers that are so fast that making them slightly faster doesn't help as much, we only get small incremental improvements. Going from having no computer to a slow computer makes me a much more productive engineer. Going from a slow computer to a fast computer makes me slightly more productive. Going from a fast computer to a really fast computer only helps a tiny bit. So rapid, sustained growth like we saw before is going to be difficult until somebody comes out with the next big thing.

I think it's safe to say that equity returns are pretty decoupled from the average American's financial situation. Your parents' DB plans + home equity are likely worth more than a millennial maxing out his 401K.

With mass automation looming, something has got to give with wealth distribution in the US.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I feel like the "next big thing" is robotics and AI. I am hoping they alone will be enough to drive economic growth for decades.

Self driving cars will change the world. I am very optimistic about economic growth.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Robots. If by 'rapid, sustained growth', you mean 'rapid, sustained rise in profits/inequality'.. then the answer is robots. It's already happening.
In terms of quality of life improvement, what could be better than a robot doing your job so you don't have to? (Please ignore the fact you are now unemployed)

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 17, 2017

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Chadzok posted:

Robots. If by 'rapid, sustained growth', you mean 'rapid, sustained rise in profits/inequality'.. then the answer is robots. It's already happening.
In terms of quality of life improvement, what could be better than a robot doing your job so you don't have to? (Please ignore the fact you are now unemployed)

The way I see it, those of us who are amassing capital for the purposes of freedom can't lose in this scenario.

Either we continue along the current path and continue to use the robit's profits to heavily reward those who have capital, or we switch gears and more evenly distribute the robit's profits.

In the latter case this still benefits those of us who are in the FI game for freedom, because it means the cost of living should go down, allowing us to draw down less of our portfolios each year.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
if you have more than a year's salary in investments you're already so far ahead of the curve in the usa that the "average american" in virtually any scenario may as well not apply to you.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

if you have more than a year's salary in investments you're already so far ahead of the curve in the usa that the "average american" in virtually any scenario may as well not apply to you.

This is unfortunately the case. If you have a house and a year's worth of pay invested then you are even further ahead. It seems that New Zealand has the same retirement saving problem as the US. People keep tapping into their retirement savings for financial emergencies (that seem to occur on a very regular basis).

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

If only there were some way to know I was going to want a brand new truck 2 years after I got my last brand new truck. Better liquidate my account before those banksters drain it all away with their Ponzis and credit swap tricks and GET WHAT I'M OWED!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
In New Zealand there is a requirement to demonstrate that there is a financial emergency. However having bills to pay and no money seems to be sufficient to tap into it. Seems easy enough to manufacture an emergency.

Although I have friends who would like to be able to tap into it partially to reduce the size of their mortgage and the monthly payments to create some breathing room in their budget. However, that isn't an emergency.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Devian666 posted:

In New Zealand there is a requirement to demonstrate that there is a financial emergency. However having bills to pay and no money seems to be sufficient to tap into it. Seems easy enough to manufacture an emergency.

What kind of hand-holding country are you living in? Is there a penalty for withdrawal?

Here in Canada you can tap into your RRSP for heroin if you want to, but you give up the contribution room forever and you have to pay tax on it (since you didn't pay tax on it when you contributed). Again, they don't care what it's for. Unless it's for a house as a first-time home buyer, or education; then there's no penalty as long as you pay it back over X years.

Basically, since most people see the money as being locked-in when you put it into an RRSP, most people just don't contribute, lol. Which is probably worse than what you're talking about.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 20, 2017

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Bhodi posted:

Sometimes it doesn't feel that way. I've got enough income to max out my tax advantaged accounts leaving me with enough to live a slightly better lifestyle than some of my less well off neighbors. Since real estate is expensive compared to income here I live in a 2 bed 1.5 bath condo while public assistance housing has rent subsidized 2 bed 1 bath places of similar size. It will be years and years and years until I think I can afford a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath 2 car garage style house my parents have.

I make maybe 3 times the household income compared to low income people and the most visible thing I get out of it is an extra toilet and sink.

Why am I not buying an outsized truck like some of my neighbors or an outsized mortgage instead of saving for this retirement thing that could be decades away?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Crazy Mike posted:

Sometimes it doesn't feel that way. I've got enough income to max out my tax advantaged accounts leaving me with enough to live a slightly better lifestyle than some of my less well off neighbors. Since real estate is expensive compared to income here I live in a 2 bed 1.5 bath condo while public assistance housing has rent subsidized 2 bed 1 bath places of similar size. It will be years and years and years until I think I can afford a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath 2 car garage style house my parents have.

I make maybe 3 times the household income compared to low income people and the most visible thing I get out of it is an extra toilet and sink.

Why am I not buying an outsized truck like some of my neighbors or an outsized mortgage instead of saving for this retirement thing that could be decades away?
Statistically speaking, you probably won't ever reach the prosperity and wealth of your parents if you're under 35. Especially not in real estate. But never fear, the hedonic treadmill ensures that except for a little burst of pleasure at the front end you won't be any happier owning any of it anyway, and compared to your neighbors you'll get to retire earlier and in significantly more comfort than them. You're also in a much better position to weather downturns in life like injury or illness.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 20, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Bhodi posted:

Statistically speaking, you probably won't ever reach the prosperity and wealth of your parents if you're under 35. Especially not in real estate. But never fear, the hedonic treadmill ensures that except for a little burst of pleasure at the front end you won't be any happier owning any of it anyway, and compared to your neighbors you'll get to retire earlier and in significantly more comfort than them. You're also in a much better position to weather downturns in life like injury or illness.

I really love this article but again - ding ding ding - it raises the alarm at the arrest of growth.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Rick Rickshaw posted:

What kind of hand-holding country are you living in? Is there a penalty for withdrawal?

Here in Canada you can tap into your RRSP for heroin if you want to, but you give up the contribution room forever and you have to pay tax on it (since you didn't pay tax on it when you contributed). Again, they don't care what it's for. Unless it's for a house as a first-time home buyer, or education; then there's no penalty as long as you pay it back over X years.

Basically, since most people see the money as being locked-in when you put it into an RRSP, most people just don't contribute, lol. Which is probably worse than what you're talking about.

As usual it's an issue of local politics. The Government is entirely focused on baby boomers and they don't care what happens to the younger generations. The withdrawals are allowed but something to keep in mind is most of the money going in is post-tax dollars. There's only a small tax credit of $521 per year (which is obviously crap). There's no penalty or required repayments leaving the only penalty of being hosed when they reach retirement age.

There are also the first home buyer exceptions and benefits that mostly don't work because of over inflated house prices.

People contribute as it's often a part of a negotiated package with their employer but the contributions are 3% employee and 2-3% employer in most cases. For most of the population that's not going to add up to much of a retirement and most low wage earners are in the wrong tax code for their retirement account.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Bhodi posted:

But never fear, the hedonic treadmill ensures that except for a little burst of pleasure at the front end you won't be any happier owning any of it anyway.
The "more money won't make you happier" meme is probably nonsense.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That's a fairly flawed study, fake fichmech. It's chief source of data is self-reporting gallup polls and in closing paragraphs it even acknowledges that it's at odds with the prevailing theory and that there was an interesting study done which presented opposing results.

I also liked this footnote: "While 100 percent of those reporting annual incomes over $500,000 are in the top bucket of “very happy,” it is important to note that there are only eight individuals in this category".

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 21, 2017

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Bhodi posted:

That's a fairly flawed study, fake fichmech. It's chief source of data is self-reporting gallup polls and in closing paragraphs it even acknowledges that it's at odds with the prevailing theory and that there was an interesting study done which presented opposing results.
Their exact judgement of the Kahneman and Deaton study is:

quote:

We are intrigued by these findings, although we conclude by noting that they are based on very different measures of well-being, and so they are not necessarily in tension with our results. Indeed, those authors also find no satiation point for evaluative measures of well-being
In other words, they specifically do not find it at odds with their results, but merely observe that they're measuring different things.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Ralith posted:

The "more money won't make you happier" meme is probably nonsense.

I really enjoy Table 2 of this study. Does it maybe have statistical shortcomings? Sure, whatever, but on the other hand the idea that money isn't a significant source of stress beyond 75k or whatever stupid number gets bandied about is preposterous. I have to tell you, I feel a lot happier in the lower bucket than the higher one.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I really enjoy Table 2 of this study. Does it maybe have statistical shortcomings? Sure, whatever, but on the other hand the idea that money isn't a significant source of stress beyond 75k or whatever stupid number gets bandied about is preposterous. I have to tell you, I feel a lot happier in the lower bucket than the higher one.

I bet that it's less about income in absolute terms and more about overhead; how consistently can you keep your expenses within your income with what kind of variance? Having been laid off twice, it was way less stressful with over a year of expenses socked away and readily liquid than it was with about a month left in my checking account.

It's easier to get to that point with more income if you are mature and responsible with it. I'd be really curious to see the results if you measured for income & also just correlated on self-reported budgeting + meeting that budget on some consistency.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That looks like another one of those studies that doesn't differentiate income and wealth. 250k probably doesn't make you too much happier if you burn through your paychecks each month, but there's a pretty good chance you're happy if you make 30k working at a vet's office with a few million in the bank.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Outside of the 1%ers, income is probably pretty highly correlated with wealth.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

shrike82 posted:

Outside of the 1%ers, income is probably pretty highly correlated with wealth.
I imagine a good portion of people at a wide range of incomes live paycheck to paycheck and no wealth, which immediately breaks that. Among them, income seems like a good proxy to look at in the study.

I'm not so sure about the correlation for people with postive wealth though - a 10 year moving average of income or something like that might work better but I don't know. We are specifically talking about whether or not the "money stops buying happiness at 75k" urban legend is true though, which requires talking about generally high-income earners. I think that group is pretty likely to have a disparity between wealth and income.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 21, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Sorry, I just found the two scenarios you set up kinda funny - 250K household or a millionaire making 30K.
Maybe the latter's more common than I think but it comes off as implausible.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

shrike82 posted:

Sorry, I just found the two scenarios you set up kinda funny - 250K household or a millionaire making 30K.
Yeah I mean, I was intentionally giving the outliers in either direction, results not typical, but my point is that wealth captures both those cases nicely in addition to many others.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

If nothing else, housing should cause those who make more to gain more wealth.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
C'mon, there's no need to pull numbers out of your rear end:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
also stop using papers about gdp vs happiness at a national level in a discussion about individual gdp vs happiness

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

shrike82 posted:

I'd say it's pretty common...for people whose parents were/are millionaires.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Another day, another long-format think piece from an intellectual giant highlighting the problem with the dwindling adult male labor force participation rate and its connection with the death of growth.

I don't know that financial independence is attainable without really pumping that "r" - it's in every formula we bank on - and I don't know that you can say r will be > inflation the way the emergence from this last recession has gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

coffeetable posted:

C'mon, there's no need to pull numbers out of your rear end:

Thanks for posting this.

It is interesting and shows a fairly clear correlation but it also seems to confirm that there is a big chunk of people with high incomes with comparatively small net worths (wealth). While ~100k income looks to be the start of the inflection point, there's still a whole lot of people in that 100k-250k territory with net worths less than 1 year of their income.

Age may play a part of it (younger people haven't had as many years to save as older people), but I don't think that tells the whole story.