Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

the_american_dream posted:

Also can someone explain to me as you would to a child the difference between Ray Allen to the heat and why that's cool and understandable and why Durant to GS is not

The Celtics tried to trade Ray Allen multiple times. He owed them no loyalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

WhyteRyce posted:

Dejan I need to know the Balkan equivalent of PB&J. Western Europe certainly doesn't understand

Eastern Europe doesn't really understand the concept of sandwiches. Or Hungarians don't, anyways. They'll lay out the most beautiful homemade bread and meat platter for you. But ask them to put a second slice of bread on top of the first meat and bread layer and they get real confused.

Things that they do have in their favour: high level lard and pate game.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Dejan I need to know the Balkan equivalent of PB&J. Western Europe certainly doesn't understand

I'm on my windows laptop (windows is awful) so I can't use the right letters, makovnjaca with some jam on it? That's a nut bread. Or palachinka maybe when it has fruit and nut filling is probably the closest to balkan pbj, that's like a flaky crepe with both fruit filling and nuts from time to time.

Cevapi is the closest to a true balkan dish you can get that's a sandwich, sausage in a flatbread

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Also can someone explain to me as you would to a child the difference between Ray Allen to the heat and why that's cool and understandable and why Durant to GS is not

The better example is Ray Allen to the Celts, who had just eliminated the Bucks from the playoffs and had multiple all stars on it. Makes Pierce's non-stop gum flapping even more hilarious.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ray allen was old. Nobody cares about durant after he retires this season.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

gently caress em both

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Both were lovely moves but Durant's was worse

scrutineer
Jan 11, 2005
kevin is a common name for a punk rear end bitch

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

warcrimes posted:

The better example is Ray Allen to the Celts, who had just eliminated the Bucks from the playoffs and had multiple all stars on it. Makes Pierce's non-stop gum flapping even more hilarious.

My memories are vague, but it seems like Ray Allen was very unhappy in Milwaukee for quite a while, and they were just a middling good team. People speculated about Durant leaving Oklahoma City, because it's Oklahoma City, but he never seemed disgruntled, and they were on the verge of making the finals several times.

It seems like there can only be one of everything, there's only store, there's only one website, there's only one NBA team. People are nostalgic for the time when the world wasnt filled with monoliths and so they take it out on Kelvin "Tupac" Durant

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

warcrimes posted:

Ray Allen was traded, though.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Ray Allen was on the Sonics. Bucks traded him there because George Karl hated him.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Who are the Sonics? is that a d-league team?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Dejan Bimble posted:

Who are the Sonics? is that a d-league team?

Wow. You're such an idiot.

It's a series of Sega games IDIOT

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I was trying to figure out what universe I was in where Ray Allen left the bucks in free agency to join the Celtics.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

warcrimes posted:

None of this happened. The celtics and bucks haven't met in the playoffs in 30 years

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Surely the most shocking betrayal is when the entire Minneapolis team defected to Los Angeles.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Durant let his team blow a 3-1 lead and left to join the team he couldn't beat, making him certified Bitch Made

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

None of this happened. The celtics and bucks haven't met in the playoffs in 30 years

I really enjoy how some of us remember all of this in crisp detail and to some of us it's a blinding fog to stagger through

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
You guys remember Shazaam??

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Time posted:

You guys remember Shazaam??

Brb writing some basketball creepypasta

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BobHoward posted:

If Karl Malone didn't get hurt that Lakers team probably wins the title. When he was on the floor their offense clicked, when he wasn't it was a tire fire.

Wasn't the bigger issue with them that Gary Payton never figured out how to run the offense, and Shaq and Kobe were back to fighting like spoiled brats?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Man those Big Dog vs. Antoine Walker playoff matchups of the early aughts were loving legendary

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
When was the last time we were two weeks from the end of the season without a more-or-less clear cut MVP favorite? I am utterly fascinated by this race and I cannot decide who I think will win of Westbrook/Harden/Kawhi/LeBron/Derrick Rose

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Most Valuable Tank Commander

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Intruder posted:

Durant let his team blow a 3-1 lead and left to join the team he couldn't beat, making him certified Bitch Made

I still think this is more surprising then the Finals. On paper the the team with the all time wins record losing is more relevant. I watched both series and really thought OKC exploited major weaknesses and had the 2 best players. And then they just choked!
The Finals were crazy but one could argue Lebron was the best player and Kyrie had a Dwayne Wade-like finals. Add in the whole Draymond drama and i'm still more shocked that OKC lost their last best chance to win a ring.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Went to my first ever NBA game last night, Atlanta at Charlotte. It was the best live sporting event I've ever been to, so much better than an NFL game, better than a Triple A baseball game, and I haven't been to an MLB game in ages so I can't really compare the two.

We had really good seats, thanks to free tickets from one of my wife's coworkers.

Trip report:

Cody Zeller is even ganglier and more awkward in person than he appears on TV.

Dwight Howard is a gigantic specimen of a genetic freak human. He backed Zeller down like he was made of tissue paper, and put in a solid two-hand jam, one of several of those he had during the game. I can only imagine what he must have been like to watch during his prime.

Kemba, one of my favorite players and a fellow UConn alum, didn't have a great game. He seemed out of sorts somehow.

Jeremy Lamb, also a UConn product, looked pretty good.

Briante Weber, Charlotte's backup PG, is faaaaaaaaast. He had a couple fast breaks that led to nothing, but he can really move.

Jose Calderon, despite being 35, is deceptively athletic and quick. I was honestly surprised at that old man.

Dennis Schroder's hair is just as dumb in real life. He is also quite fast.

Nic Batum forced too many ugly shots, and both teams (but Charlotte was worse about it) were shooting way too early in the shot clock, and bad shots at that.

The crowd was pretty lifeless. Spectrum Center was only 2/3 full, and most people were busy just looking at their phones all night.

My wife didn't like me yelling trash at Atlanta, but I had to tell her it's just part of the fan experience.

Marvin Williams is good, and he looks rather chunky in his uniform, haha.

The halftime entertainment was utterly terrible. It was about twenty-five young girls doing some sort of riverdance bullshit in different-colored sequin getups. Just terrible.

For a game featuring two garbage teams in a meaningless contest, it was so much goddamn fun and I cannot wait to go to another one.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Awesome.

Free tickets from my girlfriend's work is how we got into the sport at all.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
If you made a longer list of MVP candidates how high up is John Wall? At least in the top 8...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SHOAH NUFF posted:

If you made a longer list of MVP candidates how high up is John Wall? At least in the top 8...

I don't think he'd even be top ten

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Without thinking at all, he may be #5. If they end up #2, he's gotta be #5.
2 seed that startef like 1-13 or whatever, being a real good defender and cool at lefty dunks. He gets my vote. Who elsr is on there?
Russ
Harden
Kawhi
Lebron
---
IT
Wall
Butler
George
Derozan
Cp3
AD
Gasol
Hayward/gobert

Im not saying these are in contention for mvp btw

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 21, 2017

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Presented without comment:

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/844224278304346114

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

SHOAH NUFF posted:

John Wall is not even the MVP of his team lmao

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Would have been more fitting if they were wearing Sixers jerseys.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Intruder posted:

Left a team that blew a 3-1 lead to join a team that blew a 3-1 lead.

That's some inception level poo poo right there, a blown lead within a blown lead....is Kevin Durant ....Cobb?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

John Wall is not even the MVP of his team lmao

Who is? Otto Porter? 15% usage with 67% of your shots assisted is the definition of "really good role player"

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Shirley Temple-flavored Jolly Ranchers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That's skip bayless tier of not paying attention

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Who is? Otto Porter? 15% usage with 67% of your shots assisted is the definition of "really good role player"

There is this cool dude named Bradley Beal, you might have heard of him

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

one of thems an mvp from a championship contender the other is a roleplayer from a good eastern conference team

one of them is in his prime the other was 37 when he joined the heat

also one of them went to a 73 win team the other...didnt

lotta huge, glaring, obvious differences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Ray Allen: roleplayer

• Locked thread