Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

spog posted:

In my case it is because I am tripping balls on flu medication.

I can taste the colour mauve.

When I smell heat it tastes like iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
I think they're cut at 45°, but they hosed up the length. The "line" from the house is more like a lightning bolt. If you look at the pointy ends of the boards on the left, lots of them don't line up with the boards beside them.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Last time I laid out a deck like that, we used this plastic spacing block thing that you sat between the screwed-down plank and the one being positioned. One side was a 1/4" gap, the other was 3/8". That photo looks like somebody didn't realize the two sides of the thing were different and just never managed to flip it over until they went to lay down the other side of the house.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/londons-worst-flat-tiny-kilburn-studio-for-rent-slammed-as-cupboard-with-plumbing-a3493131.html

Say what you want, at least the stuff in San Francisco is new.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Check out how the Russians do security doors, it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdETcsa5Otw

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

:psyduck: please explain both to me like i'm five I'm very dumb.

2. While trying to look smart on the Internet, I demonstrated that I can't do basic arithmetic without making an error. It was pointed out to me, and I decided to play along, because it's not like I'm going to insist that 47 + 42 = 90.

1. In olden times before the invention of Teflon, when you made scrambled eggs, about one egg's worth of egg would stick to the pan, so when counting how many eggs to cook, you always just added one egg "for the pan." I'm old so I still remember this as something my grandma or someone told me, even though by the time I was born, people had non-stick pans. What I was told actually was that "one for the pan" was really just a way of padding how much scrambled eggs you were making, because if you're making eggs for a bunch of people, and each of them say they want like one or two or three eggs worth, that winds up not being as much eggs as each of them take when you portion out the eggs, so you throw in an extra one "for the pan" but actually it's for the egg eaters. E.g. it's a lie. A lie based on an older truth. A bonus egg masquerading as an obsolete method for compensating for obsolete technology. Everyone thinks they're eating 2 eggs but they're actually eating 2.2 eggs or something, and they appreciate that extra fractional egg subconsciously by having just a wee bit more delicious egg. This was in an era when the government announced eggs were bad for you because of cholesterol so people wanted more eggs but also declared they wanted less eggs. The lie helped them have both. "One for the pan."

So, one degree for the pan. Cut 47 and 42 and get 90. Everyone gets a little extra degree, unmentioned. Or maybe the one degree is stuck in the saw. Something like that.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

So, one degree for the pan. Cut 47 and 42 and get 90. Everyone gets a little extra degree, unmentioned. Or maybe the one degree is stuck in the saw. Something like that.

They do this with tea, as well. You brew a cup with a teaspoon of leaves, but if you brew a pot you add a teaspoon for every cup, plus "one for the pot". I'm guessing it's a bit older tradition than governments deciding to regulate food and health though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lime Tonics posted:

Check out how the Russians do security doors, it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdETcsa5Otw

Kazakhstan, but holy poo poo. It's just like tinfoil around a cardboard honeycomb.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slugworth posted:

the person just assumed the house walls were square
Rookie mistake 1A.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Leperflesh posted:

2. While trying to look smart on the Internet, I demonstrated that I can't do basic arithmetic without making an error. It was pointed out to me, and I decided to play along, because it's not like I'm going to insist that 47 + 42 = 90.

1. In olden times before the invention of Teflon, when you made scrambled eggs, about one egg's worth of egg would stick to the pan, so when counting how many eggs to cook, you always just added one egg "for the pan." I'm old so I still remember this as something my grandma or someone told me, even though by the time I was born, people had non-stick pans. What I was told actually was that "one for the pan" was really just a way of padding how much scrambled eggs you were making, because if you're making eggs for a bunch of people, and each of them say they want like one or two or three eggs worth, that winds up not being as much eggs as each of them take when you portion out the eggs, so you throw in an extra one "for the pan" but actually it's for the egg eaters. E.g. it's a lie. A lie based on an older truth. A bonus egg masquerading as an obsolete method for compensating for obsolete technology. Everyone thinks they're eating 2 eggs but they're actually eating 2.2 eggs or something, and they appreciate that extra fractional egg subconsciously by having just a wee bit more delicious egg. This was in an era when the government announced eggs were bad for you because of cholesterol so people wanted more eggs but also declared they wanted less eggs. The lie helped them have both. "One for the pan."

Oh cool thank you.

And your joke makes sense to me now. I didn't know that one for the pan thing; that makes a lot of sense -- if people didn't grease their pans.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's why you cook the bacon first.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
House for sale, only €250,000

this is the backyard?

rest of the album here,

https://imgur.com/gallery/NCrZg

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

First picture: "Ok that doesn't look too bad."
Second picture: POP ART INFERNO :supaburn:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lime Tonics posted:

House for sale, only €250,000

this is the backyard?

rest of the album here,

https://imgur.com/gallery/NCrZg

The yard is what you notice and comment on?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Indolent Bastard posted:

The yard is what you notice and comment on?

:thejoke:

also OH NOOOOOO that poor house!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I think we found her killer.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
And yet they didn't even have the decency to have one of the kitchen cabinets open to display 100 cans of Campbell's soup.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

First picture: "Ok that doesn't look too bad."
Second picture: POP ART INFERNO :supaburn:

It's like she first moved into Peewee's Playhouse, but decided it was too "drab".

vvvvv yup

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 21, 2017

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Is that an upturned tanning bed in the kitchen?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Is that an upturned tanning bed in the kitchen?

Tanning bed, yes. Upturned, no. It's just a standing tanning bed...in the kitchen.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Does anyone remember that one house in the original Sims? Like the Meshugas or something? It was the gaudy, garish octagonal house that came with Livin' Large in Neighborhood 2. Bright colors, ugly-as-gently caress carpets and decorations?

THEY wouldn't live in that house, holy poo poo. And yes, I believe it is.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Painting is easy, a cheap good sized house is great. I'd get it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

Painting is easy, a cheap good sized house is great. I'd get it.

I don’t want a house that was maintained or modified by lunatics.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So what, you have to put another 100k into it tops to make it nice and all up to code. If that house was for sale near me I'd be snatching it up and gushing about their cool pop art to the sellers and how I totally appreciate what they've done with the place.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I don’t want a house that was maintained or modified by lunatics.

lol if you think they maintained it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

HardDiskD posted:

lol if you think they maintained it.

One phrase: 'Load bearing drywall'.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Do you have insulated stairs in your house?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
There's nothing about bright walls and Marylin decals that suggests poor upkeep of the actual structure anymore than beige walls and hotel art do. At least you know there's no way anyone dug rooms full of literal trash out and redecorated like that in a month.

If the price was good, I'd at least actually go look and see how bad the renos are and if there's any serious problems. That's not something you can say about most DIY coke-dens.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
This article about zoning regulations in Japan is very interesting. They set their zoning regulations at the national level with little power for cities to vary substantially, and it seems to be based on a "nuisance" or activity level, so any uses less impacting than a given level are permitted. This means that residential and light commercial use is allowed in nearly every zone. There also isn't any zoning distinction between single-family and multi-family residential. Overall it encourages efficient mixed-use communities.

Edit: Actually, check out the most recent couple pages of the OSHA.jpg thread where I found that link for a related discussion of houses in China and Japan that would be well at home in this thread.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 21, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah japanese zoning is amazing and I wish it was the norm here, just without the hideous architecture.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah japanese zoning is amazing and I wish it was the norm here, just without the hideous architecture.

Plus you just pull down a house and rebuild it every few years. A good use case for mcmansions

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

canyoneer posted:

Plus you just pull down a house and rebuild it every few years. A good use case for mcmansions

When the land is worth about 10x what the house is, it makes sense to treat the house as a more disposable asset, especially with how small they are. Average in Tokyo is like 105 m^2, which is ~1k square feet. Also, average not-a-condo house age is like 20-25 years, which is pretty decent for a house.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our new house in rural Japan is 1300 sq ft and it's bigger than average, with the equivalent of 4-5 bedrooms (no basements). I think houses in the US waste a lot of footage on extra bathrooms and massive kitchens.

The per rate I see in most residential land listings is 60%.

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 21, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

peanut posted:

waste a lot of footage on extra bathrooms and massive kitchens.

Does not compute.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah man, gotta make all that food and then put it somewhere

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

peanut posted:

Our new house in rural Japan is 1300 sq ft and it's bigger than average, with the equivalent of 4-5 bedrooms (no basements). I think houses in the US waste a lot of footage on extra bathrooms and massive kitchens.

The per rate I see in most residential land listings is 60%.

I've noticed american kitchens are inverse to the amount of actual cooking the person does. The family with the cramped little galley kitchen and lovely appliances are cooking every day. The massive sprawling granite and stainless steel palace is mostly just for show.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Baronjutter posted:

I've noticed american kitchens are inverse to the amount of actual cooking the person does. The family with the cramped little galley kitchen and lovely appliances are cooking every day. The massive sprawling granite and stainless steel palace is mostly just for show.

Probably true. Also the open concept houses with kitchen + diner + living room all in one room don't seem viable if you do cook all the time, at least not if there are more than 2 of you.

If I want to listen to the radio while I cook, everyone else has to listen too. Even if they're watching TV.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I love ridiculous houses and would totally buy that Marilyn Mansion if I lived in whatever European country (guessing former Soviet Union) it's in.

As long as it doesn't have a carpeted bathroom.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

wooger posted:

Probably true. Also the open concept houses with kitchen + diner + living room all in one room don't seem viable if you do cook all the time, at least not if there are more than 2 of you.

If I want to listen to the radio while I cook, everyone else has to listen too. Even if they're watching TV.

Yeah I have one and I have mixed feelings about it. It's nice that you don't have to be isolated while cooking, but I have a crappy builder-grade dishwasher that is loud as crap so I hear it in like half the square footage of the home when it's running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sure but do you rinse your dishes?