Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

teagone posted:

Is this canon? Because haha.

Cannon is that Kyber crystals are inherently light side, and that in order to use them Sith have to use their force prowess to dominate them, which turns them red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, if someone had told me in 1999 that two cartoon series would make Darth loving Maul a compelling character I'd have laughed in their face.

Gennedy Tartarkovski made General Grievous an unstoppable Jedi-killing motherfucker. Boy was that a disappointment when Episode 3 came out afterwards.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Was it kotor that said that red crystals were actually really lovely and easily manufactured in bulk which is why sith use them?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Was it kotor that said that red crystals were actually really lovely and easily manufactured in bulk which is why sith use them?
I don't think so. The idea that Sith use red crystals because they're the easiest to create artificially was from a source anterior to KOTOR.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

Cannon is that Kyber crystals are inherently light side, and that in order to use them Sith have to use their force prowess to dominate them, which turns them red

Man am I sick of this nucanon Kyber crystal crap. It's like they saw the word once and couldn't stop using it. Oversimplifying the universe makes it less interesting. Not all crystals have to be the same. It's not an interesting spin to assert that the Death Star uses the same crystals. The specific name doesn't have to be repeated in every source of media ad nauseum.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chickenwalker posted:

Man am I sick of this nucanon Kyber crystal crap. It's like they saw the word once and couldn't stop using it. Oversimplifying the universe makes it less interesting. Not all crystals have to be the same. It's not an interesting spin to assert that the Death Star uses the same crystals. The specific name doesn't have to be repeated in every source of media ad nauseum.

I dunno, I kind of enjoy that the giant turbolaser inside the Emperor's death star is actually a giant lightsabre

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Chickenwalker posted:

Man am I sick of this nucanon crap

You and me both.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gennedy Tartarkovski made General Grievous an unstoppable Jedi-killing motherfucker. Boy was that a disappointment when Episode 3 came out afterwards.

Ah but did you miss how at the end of the Clone Wars cartoon, Mace Windu does massive damage to Grievous which explains why he's such a bitch in episode 3?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Chickenwalker posted:

I get it, and per nucanon, they're not all the same. There are sources of crystals all over the galaxy, it's just that there's only one reliable, plentiful source, and that's where the Jedi sent younglings to gather crystals to make their sabers, where Sheev sent his inquisitors to corrupt crystals, and what got blown up in TFA.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

twistedmentat posted:

Ah but did you miss how at the end of the Clone Wars cartoon, Mace Windu does massive damage to Grievous which explains why he's such a bitch in episode 3?

I remember it, and it still means we didn't get badass Grievous in the actual movie :argh:.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

Which would you rather have for your super science weapon of mass destruction, a normal focusing crystal or a crystal with a proven track record of high energy efficiency? Personally, I'd prefer the latter.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

twistedmentat posted:

I almost have to wonder if that happened because he actually saw Grevious in the films and went "oh poo poo, this is a mismatch in expectations if I've ever seen one. Welp, got to unfuck this."

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what you guys are saying is that the Death Star planet-destroying laser is inherently light-side.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Elentor posted:

So what you guys are saying is that the Death Star planet-destroying laser is inherently light-side.

It was before the Sith corrupted it. I mean, couldn't the same be said of all Force Sensistives in NuCannon? Since we've yet to hear of any species in NuCannon with natural affinities to the Dark Side?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shouldn't the laser be red then? I'm trying to understand the logic of corrupting a laser.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

The Death Star being powered by kyber crystals was a thing before the new canon. It was in the Clone Wars show. Lately a lot of the media has had kyber crystal stuff because of Rogue One. It'll pass. Probably already has.

Also, the kyber crystals used for the Death Star weren't corrupted by the Sith as far as I know. The design for the weapon was probably of Sith origin, however.

Minnesota Manatee fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 21, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Quite frankly I like the idea of the Death Star's beam being a giant lightsaber that they're just expanding and contracting through planets

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Minnesota Manatee posted:

The Death Star being powered by kyber crystals was a thing before the new canon. It was in the Clone Wars show. Lately a lot of the media has had kyber crystal stuff because of Rogue One. It'll pass. Probably already has.

Also, the kyber crystals used for the Death Star weren't corrupted by the Sith as far as I know. The design for the weapon was probably of Sith origin, however.

When did they show up in Clone Wars as the reason for powering the death star? I don't think that is true.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Burning_Monk posted:

When did they show up in Clone Wars as the reason for powering the death star? I don't think that is true.

There was a bunch of unfinished episodes that they released after the show had ended - the "Utapau" arc, I think. It ended with Obi-Wan and Anakin securing a huge kyber crystal from some enemies, and it was strongly hinted that given enough energy, this crystal could power a huge weapon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Quite frankly I like the idea of the Death Star's beam being a giant lightsaber that they're just expanding and contracting through planets

Good news! There's a book with just what you're looking for!

Yes, this is a trap.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I remember reading in a book when I was a kid about Luke sitting in Obi Wan's house, staring at a forge and using the Force to remove all the impurities in a light saber crystal and practically making GBS threads himself as a moments distraction would cause the whole thing to explode and probably kill him. I always liked the idea as I thought the idea that a Jedi having a light saber was an implicit acknowledgement of their mastery of the Force and Luke getting his as an inheritance was a sloppy short cut due to desperation

What was that from? I don't think it wa the novelizations of the movies but maybe it was?

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 21, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bad Moon posted:

I remember reading in a book when I was a kid about Luke sitting in Obi Wan's house, staring at a forge and using the Force to remove all the impurities in a light saber crystal and practically making GBS threads himself as a moments distraction would cause the whole thing to explode and probably kill him. I always liked the idea as I thought the idea that a Jedi having a light saber was an implicit acknowledgement of their mastery of the Force and Luke getting his as an inheritance was a sloppy short cut due to desperation

What was that from? I don't think it wa the novelizations of the movies but maybe it was?

So not a novelization of the movies, but about as close as you can get, given the weird history/project surrounding that book.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Death Star is a giant lightsaber because it fills the role the Jedi previously held in the government.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Who would he have killed in Episode 3? Obi Wan and Anakin have to live.I mean he killed a fair number of jedi in the Clone Wars.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

thrawn527 posted:

So not a novelization of the movies, but about as close as you can get, given the weird history/project surrounding that book.

No wonder I forgot! Yikes!

MrJacobs posted:

Who would he have killed in Episode 3? Obi Wan and Anakin have to live.I mean he killed a fair number of jedi in the Clone Wars.

It was a big ol space battle. Not hard to cram a couple more Jedi to get chumped to make Grievous look menacing despite being a robotic luchador

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Shaak Ti dies twice in ROTS deleted scenes, once at the hands of Grievous.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Bad Moon posted:

It a big ol space battle. Not hard to cram a couple more Jedi to get chumped to make Grievous look menacing despite being a robotic luchador

okay, now I too want to see Grevious flying in space killing jedi ships while in a big space battle.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

1 deathstar is so old at this point. The next logical step is for the rebels to build their own Lifestar and have a DS vs LS lightsaber fight.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Lifestar should shoot a laser that rebuilds a planet with everyone back in it, but it has no offensive capabilities whatsoever. The death star then shoots again. Everyone is trapped in a nightmarish horror of constantly being blown apart and being reborn.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Elentor posted:

The Lifestar should shoot a laser that rebuilds a planet with everyone back in it, but it has no offensive capabilities whatsoever. The death star then shoots again. Everyone is trapped in a nightmarish horror of constantly being blown apart and being reborn.

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in joy and were suddenly boisterous."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

banned from Starbucks posted:

1 deathstar is so old at this point. The next logical step is for the rebels to build their own Lifestar and have a DS vs LS lightsaber fight.

They need to transform like Unicron and Primus.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

Duelling Death Stars turns out to not be a good idea as famed space anim Legend of Galactic Heroes happily demonstrates

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Moon posted:

One of the things from the original EU is that Jedi have to assemble their lightsabre using the Force as part of their training, because it's an insanely precise puzzle to bring all the pieces together. Even then turning it on for the first time involves Shepard's Prayer; "Dear God, please don't let me gently caress up :pray:", because the drat thing might blow up when the button is pushed.

I assume opening a lightsabre is one of those things that will just spit out tiny parts every-loving-where, and you'll never find where that one bit went after it pinged off behind the couch.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Surprised nobody posted this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDHdOIymFAI

Covok
May 27, 2013

I wish I knew what the code is for the emoticon holdings its head up with its hands with glee because I am so hype for this.

:allears: Those spacesuits are 50s as gently caress and I love it!

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 22, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
:swoon: :neckbeard:, :allears:?

Covok
May 27, 2013

That also works. But, no, I'm thinking of a different one.

No, not that one either. Also, why is its code neckbeard?

There's the one I wanted.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Covok posted:

No, not that one either. Also, why is its code neckbeard?

People were probably overusing it, like :iamafag:

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of the things from the original EU is that Jedi have to assemble their lightsabre using the Force as part of their training, because it's an insanely precise puzzle to bring all the pieces together. Even then turning it on for the first time involves Shepard's Prayer; "Dear God, please don't let me gently caress up :pray:", because the drat thing might blow up when the button is pushed.

I assume opening a lightsabre is one of those things that will just spit out tiny parts every-loving-where, and you'll never find where that one bit went after it pinged off behind the couch.

One of the things I didn't like about the prequels was that it made green a standard Jedi lightsaber color. I always liked the idea of Luke throwing together a bunch of spare parts and hoping it would work. He powers it up, sees it's green, and goes "Eh, close enough." Seeing every other Jedi have a green one made his less special. And yes, I know the behind the scenes reason it was green was probably because the effect would look better in the daylight scenes if it was green instead of blue, and to help show the audience that it is in fact different. In the PT it looks more aesthetically pleasing to have some contrast. It does look better to have different colors on camera than if everyone's was the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Catching up with season 2. That first half is rough, and aimless.

And now I'm in the back half and good god is the show not firing blanks.

Cham Syndulla's episode might be the best 20 minutes they've done yet. And I haven't seen an episode of the Clone Wars.

• Locked thread