Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

500 good dogs posted:

who would be pumped about going to mars?

sounds rad

also i watched Passengers the other day, and it made me wish that was a real thing. i'd totally get frozen for 100 years or whatever to go to some other not-earth planet

Passengers was a good film with some amazing sfx.

As for being put into stasis, I'd worry that my pod might malfunction because of a computer error or else just being a lemon. Or deliberately corrupted by someone with an Agenda, or one of those nasty critters from the Alien movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

King Possum III posted:

Passengers was a good film with some amazing sfx.

As for being put into stasis, I'd worry that my pod might malfunction because of a computer error or else just being a lemon. Or deliberately corrupted by someone with an Agenda, or one of those nasty critters from the Alien movies.

:shrug:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

how we doing goons

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i stopped binging on amphetamines, so that's cool

ended up partaking in ruining pick's e/n thread about her wheelchair friend

still unsure of the future of me and my best friend's friendship, trying to find other ways to deal that isn't snorting speed like no tomorrow to make myself feel better.

also super proud of my sick new avatar, i think it captures exactly what i want you to see when you read my posts.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

How long have you been off the drugs then?

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
one day, all I needed.

took a dose tonight because i wanted to do a lot of stuff that i've been neglecting since im dealing with a disastrous personal life. got a lot done and forgot about the world outside for a while, so mission accomplished.

almost out of it though, i need a restock.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

oh you just stopped the binging part

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
god i'll never stop taking speed are you kidding me?

sobriety is boring as hell and lets go down the list of other drugs im open to taking semi-regularly:

-Salvia: Nope. No psychadelics.
-LSD: Nope. No psychadelics.
-Psilocybin: Nope. No psychadelics.
-DMT: Nope. No psychadelics.
-Booze: Nope. Alcohol blows.
-Weed: Nope. No psychadelics.
-Opiates: Nope. Hate painkillers.
-Benzos: Nope. Hate downers.
-Hal: Nope. Disassociatives suck unless they are psychadelics.
-Ketamine: gently caress off.

A few others I don't care to think of.

I'm happy with my amphetamines. They make me feel good, make my thoughts explode in volume and quality, fight my ADD, among some other things.

Just trying to not develop a dependence of any kind, spacing out my usage and not using it as a crutch for anything.

SpaceClown's internal monologue posted:

This is the last drug you can take to break life up, do not - for the love of god DO NOT - gently caress this up you stupid loving clown

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

SpaceClown posted:

god i'll never stop taking speed are you kidding me?

sobriety is boring as hell and lets go down the list of other drugs im open to taking semi-regularly:

-Salvia: Nope. No psychadelics.
-LSD: Nope. No psychadelics.
-Psilocybin: Nope. No psychadelics.
-DMT: Nope. No psychadelics.
-Booze: Nope. Alcohol blows.
-Weed: Nope. No psychadelics.
-Opiates: Nope. Hate painkillers.
-Benzos: Nope. Hate downers.
-Hal: Nope. Disassociatives suck unless they are psychadelics.
-Ketamine: gently caress off.

A few others I don't care to think of.

I'm happy with my amphetamines. They make me feel good, make my thoughts explode in volume and quality, fight my ADD, among some other things.

Just trying to not develop a dependence of any kind, spacing out my usage and not using it as a crutch for anything.

Interesting stuff. My own drug of choice was pharmaceutical opioids. I was always curious about amphetamines, but never managed to find any before I gave up recreationals.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying reading all the posts about them. Thanks for sharing your experiences, guys.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I believe prescription opioids is how my cousin got into heroin. He was doing pills for years and then switched to heroin for a few years. Heroin is way cheaper and cleaner than it used to be so it's a sound choice. He's dead now. Last year on May 1st he was found after an overdose. I was there before the coroner got there. He was my best friend.

Please don't do heroin people.

I really blame a lot of it on the criminal justice system. He went to jail for heroin possession, became a felon, and then his life was 10x more difficult than it was before. Instead of throwing him in jail and keeping him on probation for years he should have had treatment. When he got out he couldn't get a job for a very long time because he was listed as a felon. He had a bachelors degree and was previously working in a sleep clinic. Then he was barely able to get a job at a cabinet making factory afterwards. He had to move back in with his parents who gave him so much poo poo all the time. His mom and mine are sisters and they can be quite unreasonably harsh. Well, not anymore for my mom. She went to NAMI meetings all the time and learned a lot about mental illness and is now my single best support. His mom however, went to Alanon meetings and they focus on how bad the person who is doing drugs is loving up your life. She went the tough love route and I think that really contributed to his death. I'm very mad but I'd never mention that to her though. Anyway, he couldn't get a place to live because again, he had that felon label. When he finally found a place it was a lovely apartment with, guess what, not so upstanding citizens living there.

So he went to jail for heroin instead of getting treatment. Then the felon label turned him into a second class citizen at best. Then, due to the hardship all of this cost him, he got back into heroin and accidentally overdosed.

Now he's dead.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
seriously guys how do you sleep without drinking? Fiancee wants to stop drinking during weeknights and like, feel like I didnt sleep at all last night and little sleep I got wasnt very deep :sigh:

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I believe prescription opioids is how my cousin got into heroin. He was doing pills for years and then switched to heroin for a few years. Heroin is way cheaper and cleaner than it used to be so it's a sound choice. He's dead now. Last year on May 1st he was found after an overdose. I was there before the coroner got there. He was my best friend.

Please don't do heroin people.

I really blame a lot of it on the criminal justice system. He went to jail for heroin possession, became a felon, and then his life was 10x more difficult than it was before. Instead of throwing him in jail and keeping him on probation for years he should have had treatment. When he got out he couldn't get a job for a very long time because he was listed as a felon. He had a bachelors degree and was previously working in a sleep clinic. Then he was barely able to get a job at a cabinet making factory afterwards. He had to move back in with his parents who gave him so much poo poo all the time. His mom and mine are sisters and they can be quite unreasonably harsh. Well, not anymore for my mom. She went to NAMI meetings all the time and learned a lot about mental illness and is now my single best support. His mom however, went to Alanon meetings and they focus on how bad the person who is doing drugs is loving up your life. She went the tough love route and I think that really contributed to his death. I'm very mad but I'd never mention that to her though. Anyway, he couldn't get a place to live because again, he had that felon label. When he finally found a place it was a lovely apartment with, guess what, not so upstanding citizens living there.

So he went to jail for heroin instead of getting treatment. Then the felon label turned him into a second class citizen at best. Then, due to the hardship all of this cost him, he got back into heroin and accidentally overdosed.

Now he's dead.
You know that could just as easily be the end of your story. "Now he's dead."

I don't say that as some like scare tactic but just to underline how we all as addicts have the same disease. Every time I think of going and buying dope that what I think of, dying. You want to live, don't you? I do. It doesn't require anything else except your heartbeat.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Gonna have some sleepless nights at first

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Hardawn posted:

Gonna have some sleepless nights at first

Yeah there's no way around this it's gonna suck and it is going to be difficult but at the end of the day do you want to live your life? That's what you have to ask yourself.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jim Barris posted:

You know that could just as easily be the end of your story. "Now he's dead."

I don't say that as some like scare tactic but just to underline how we all as addicts have the same disease. Every time I think of going and buying dope that what I think of, dying. You want to live, don't you? I do. It doesn't require anything else except your heartbeat.

I guess I can't argue that. We both had the same life growing up due to the closeness of our moms.

I'm not worried at all about drinking too much alcohol and drowning in my own vomit or something. I am however worried that I'll get the courage to shoot myself though. I'm on and off the fence about living. In fact now that my brain is starting to come back to reality, I've been thinking about it more which is a bit unsettling. I have a good support system with the VA though. I can always go on a vacation there for a while.

BTW, we need stricter gun laws.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 21, 2017

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I guess I can't argue that. We both had the same life growing up due to the closeness of our moms.

I'm not worried at all about drinking too much alcohol and drowning in my own vomit or something. I am however worried that I'll get the courage to shoot myself though. I'm on and off the fence about living. In fact now that my brain is starting to come back to reality, I've been thinking about it more which is a bit unsettling. I have a good support system with the VA though. I can always go on a vacation there for a while.

BTW, we need stricter gun laws.

Don't hesitate to seek help if you feel like it is getting too intense. It's understandable that you would see some things worsen for a while - it takes a bit for your neurotransmitter levels to stabilize after you remove a stimulus which has been artificially altering their levels for a while. That's true of any pretty much any addiction, with or without bipolar as a complicating factor. I know it can be of little comfort in the moment, but the more time you put between yourself and the substance (or whatever addiction) the more things level out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Don't hesitate to seek help if you feel like it is getting too intense. It's understandable that you would see some things worsen for a while - it takes a bit for your neurotransmitter levels to stabilize after you remove a stimulus which has been artificially altering their levels for a while. That's true of any pretty much any addiction, with or without bipolar as a complicating factor. I know it can be of little comfort in the moment, but the more time you put between yourself and the substance (or whatever addiction) the more things level out.

That's what I'm hoping. The bipolar really throws a wrench in the gears because I have no way of telling if it's just my brain adjusting with the lack of alcohol or if it's my mental illness. It's a bit disheartening because I don't know what symptoms may go away or if they're here to stay. I've already noticed that I'm far less reserved and am quite blunt about everything which is something I REALLY have to look out for because I don't want to scare or push people away. Surprisingly the alcohol was suppressing my openness, in regards to possibly inappropriate actions. Now, I am excellent at putting on a good face so nothing has happened but I have to question everything in my brain to see if it's appropriate or not to say or do. Only time will tell how this pans out.

Also, I think some people in here really deserve some sort of gift like plat or something. Some of you have PM'd me about this and it's interesting seeing the lovely goons talk to me behind their face on SA and expressing concern for me or offering support. That is very encouraging and even though I may not have messaged back too much, it's just amazing to see someone else care. Especially from these forums.

I don't know how to do it but I'm pretty sure you can purchase an upgrade for other users. If I find some of you without plat or something and you haven't been a serious dick then you might see something coming your way. No promises though. But some of you really deserve it for being good people. I always appreciate that.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Jim Barris posted:

Yeah there's no way around this it's gonna suck and it is going to be difficult but at the end of the day do you want to live your life? That's what you have to ask yourself.

its not even withdrawls though its just like brain wont shut off and it loving sucks

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok so I don't know how to buy someone plat. Do I need their email address?

man, most of you nice fuckers have plat already.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nooner posted:

its not even withdrawls though its just like brain wont shut off and it loving sucks

You know that scene in X-Men: Days of Future Past where Charles stops taking that drug to help him walk and all of the voices start coming back into his head and he breaks down because he can't take it?

Kinda feel like that? Because that's what I feel.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Take 30 deep breathes then try to hold your breath for 2+ minutes

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The easiest way to deal with the restlessness (whether mental or physical) is to find something that requires two hands and full attention.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

satanic splash-back posted:

The easiest way to deal with the restlessness (whether mental or physical) is to find something that requires two hands and full attention.

pinball

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Double fisting yourself works

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nooner posted:

best advice i can give: just chill.

just. chill.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
nooner's just a dorkus, he'll be fine

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
best advice i ever got for craving drugs: just chill.

do it. just chill. can't chill? don't worry, just chill. can't stop worrying? forget about it, just chill. etc.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ive determined to harden my resolve so im supplementing my regular breakfast of boiled oats with a bowl of concrete

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Spirituality isn't so much about signing up for dogmatic Christian God but acknowledging the lack of control you actually can exercise in your life. Drunks in particular will sit and rage about the control they perceive they have when you really have even less than you'd think.

Acknowledging this is something that leads to a sense of peace. Everything works out how it needs to because it couldn't any other way.

You can see this thorough line through any religion or whatever

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Spirituality isn't so much about signing up for dogmatic Christian God but acknowledging the lack of control you actually can exercise in your life. Drunks in particular will sit and rage about the control they perceive they have when you really have even less than you'd think.

Acknowledging this is something that leads to a sense of peace. Everything works out how it needs to because it couldn't any other way.

It's true. The most devout Christians I have ever known have been terrible criminals.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nonviolent J posted:

Double fisting yourself works

Hey, can you PM me your email associated with your account?

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

Hey, can you PM me your email associated with your account?

Oh Penny, you can't PM without plat. It's a chicken and egg problem for sure.

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot
How you doing, BTW, Penny? Still going strong?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Ice Blue Mink posted:

lmao

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

12-step approaches are fine for some people, and not fine for others. Being proselytic about it isn't really helping anyone.

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot

CaptainSarcastic posted:

12-step approaches are fine for some people, and not fine for others. Being proselytic about it isn't really helping anyone.

Isn't proselytizing the whole point of teaching people about God? So you can get all your friends on board and bring them to your church to toss in their 10% tithes? Of course you kick some of that money back to the elders (who brought in their friends) in the form of church trips to the Bahamas or what not. It's like a pointy triangle shaped system.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ice Blue Mink posted:

Lol right, well poo poo. I want to get Nonviolent J plat for just making this thread and allowing this discussion.

As to how I'm doing, I'm all over the place. I don't know what's happening right now.

Ice Blue Mink
Mar 21, 2017

by zen death robot
Yes but are you sober still? That's the most important part.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
You having a place to talk this all out is good enough for me man!

If you really want to get people something that already have plat or whatevs you could get them a nice fresh avatar

But really you should save your money and get a kickass new shirt or a steam or gog game for yourself to have a fun time with!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I guess I don't subscribe to a specific religion or anything so I have a difficult time understanding the precise issue and I've always been a pretty staunch atheist.

It's cool and fine if people don't like AA or 12 step programs, but focusing on dogma is missing the point to me. Smart recovery tells you you have power and aren't helpless, and fundamentally so does AA (you decided to not drink today didn't you? You decided to start work on the Change you need) aside from the what is supposed to be humbling confession where you "admit your life ain't going how you always wanted it to go" in step 1. Considering the lengths I went to maintain my denial, it was necessary for me to claim the title of alcoholic. I would encourage exploring or seeking out agnostic or atheist recovery groups if that's your inclination and it's something that'll help. Really, if it helps, that's what matters.

Doing it alone, I know it didn't work for me. The most frightening thing was always thinking I had a "time limit" that I was waiting to pass, and once things fell into place I'd automatically start drinking. Oh boy was it a treat when that time came and went and I was hitting it harder than before, feeling even more out of control than at any point before then.

Connecting with you with supportive people who've been through the same wringer as you is really the focus anyway. Otherwise you have people saying "75 drinks a week!! That's nothing. Call me when you've learned how to really drink"

Of course some people are going to lean into dogma but it's more of a pity IMO cause it's so boring. You'll also run into people who don't think you're "clean" unless you're not on any anti depressants either. Which is destructive as hell.

To me, any spirituality is firmly planted inside yourself. "the reality deep down within you" and harnessing it doesn't rob you of anything. That well springs forth from within. Like nomad was saying earlier in the thread, what would your heart have you do?

Ultimately I just want people to be happy with their lives and their choices. For themselves.

• Locked thread