Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Lakbay posted:

I wonder if this fall and winter when it's usually crowded is going to be super barren this year

This is what I'm worried about.

I shouldn't have bought Horizon at launch, because I still haven't touched it yet. Nier Automata being so good screwed up everything. Still only like halfway through BotW, but putting that aside for Mass Effect multiplayer... Also doesn't Dark Souls 3 dlc come out next week? I've got DS3 from gamefly so I'll have to switch to that at some point.

Too much good gaming so close together :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lakbay posted:

I wonder if this fall and winter when it's usually crowded is going to be super barren this year

I doubt it. We're now in the leadup to e3, so anything that might come out in the months after it are gonna be radio-silent until the show.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I'm considering saving Horizon until after summer just to see what's coming out. I can't WAIT to play the new DS3 DLC, it looks excellent. I also have the original Nier on the way for PS3 so I'm gonna do that before Automata.

All the while I'm finishing Yakuza 0.

gently caress!

lol I just remembered I haven't even touched FFXV or Dishonored 2 :stare:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I doubt it. We're now in the leadup to e3, so anything that might come out in the months after it are gonna be radio-silent until the show.

I didn't watch E3 last year or follow announcements, but the only thing I can see being announced at this year then still being released in 2017 is the Assassin's Creed reboot

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah I'm considering saving Horizon until after summer just to see what's coming out. I can't WAIT to play the new DS3 DLC, it looks excellent. I also have the original Nier on the way for PS3 so I'm gonna do that before Automata.

All the while I'm finishing Yakuza 0.

gently caress!

lol I just remembered I haven't even touched FFXV or Dishonored 2 :stare:

I am in the same boat with Final Fantasy and Dishonored. I even pre-ordered Final Fantasy but had to drop it for some reason I don't remember. I had already put 10 hours into it and I will probably just have to start all over.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I knew nothing about nier:automata before buying it and reading any non spoilers here. Only know the story from this thread and various endings apparently....

Hot drat. It's fun as poo poo. Just got past the prologue and enjoying it immensely

Also goon recommended hyperx headphones earlier to me. Much appreciated! Great headphones

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Okay so I'm a big evangelist for Gravity Rush, I will argue endlessly that if you can look past the dodgy combat, it's an amazingly well-crafted game that oozes charm and atmosphere - the act of controlling gravity is the ultimate daydream wish fulfillment, and I give it more slack than basically any other series I like.

With that in mind, here's my thoughts on the free Raven DLC that came out today: It is Not Good. It's short as hell, 90 minutes tops, and it's all 100% linear - no free roam, no photo mode, no NPC conversations or sidequests, no gems or character upgrades, just the story.

And the story is mostly pointless in terms of its impact on the events of the main games of GR1 and 2, and it also shoots Gravity Rush 2's main plot full of holes. GR1 and 2 have a narrative where a lot of the particulars aren't exactly explained outright and you have to do a lot of connecting the dots to get things to line up - they're obtuse, and at the end of GR2 you're still left with a couple of fairly major questions, but they are actually consistent. They tell a narrative that makes sense within their world, if you're willing to forgive one or two "power of friendship" handwaves.

The Raven DLC just doesn't work with the established story. If you sit down and think about it for the slightest of bits it just doesn't make sense, especially if you ever play through GR2 again and take note of the conversations and background details that relate to the events of the DLC.

It's free, so there's no reason not to play it, but yeah... they were originally planning to charge money for this, they only released it for free as an apology for the main game's launch being delayed. I would not have been happy if I'd paid money for this.

If you like Raven as a character, there are some nice character moments for her that you can still enjoy, and some of her combat moves are pretty neato. Just don't go in expecting much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hah, the latest patch for Horizon includes 'improved facial animations for some conversations'.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sefal posted:

I cannot believe how strong 2017 has started. Has there ever been a year with this amazing of a start?

Ya this is prob like the best year for video games ever

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Hah, the latest patch for Horizon includes 'improved facial animations for some conversations'.

I thought some of Horizon's cutscenes were a little rough and could use some better lip synch.

...then I saw the early access footage of Andromeda. :stare:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ya this is prob like the best year for video games ever

2004 is still the best for me.
HL2, Doom3, Halo2, GTA:Sa, Rome Total War, Vampire Bloodlines, Fable, Thief Deadly Shadows, Far Cry, MGS3, Counter strike source, KOTOR2

Like...
Beat that

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
1998 still king:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_in_video_gaming

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't think anything will every beat 1998. This year had been insane so far though and, hell, we even have a new Mario at the end of the year so even if things slow down, there's still that.

Unrelated, I find it funny that Tohou games keep showing up on PSN and somehow so far none of them have been a straightforward bullet hell ie what the series is actually known for.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Boost mode really did a favor for Yakuza 0. I can run and turn full speed and no longer get any of the slowdown or screen tearing I was getting before. Good stuff!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I never got any slowdown in Yakuza 0 but there was definitely screen tearing (kinda annoying for a PS3 port)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I thought some of Horizon's cutscenes were a little rough and could use some better lip synch.

...then I saw the early access footage of Andromeda. :stare:

One of the coolest characters you meet late in the game has lip synching that's completely off. It was a complete loving bummer. I want her to come back for the sequel. I'd play as her as DLC too. Rumor has it she bench-presses Thunderjaws before breakfast.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I just got around to finishing Yakuza 0 a few minutes ago, what a wonderful ending to that game. Can't wait for Kiwami this summer!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
By the way, has anyone used a portable hard drive on their PS4 yet and if so, does it have any problems with speed?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I just got around to finishing Yakuza 0 a few minutes ago, what a wonderful ending to that game. Can't wait for Kiwami this summer!

Gah I forgot Kiwami was out so soon. Another one for the ever-increasing pile

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jimbot posted:

One of the coolest characters you meet late in the game has lip synching that's completely off. It was a complete loving bummer. I want her to come back for the sequel. I'd play as her as DLC too. Rumor has it she bench-presses Thunderjaws before breakfast.

Vashanah's abs made me feel inadequate as a person.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

By the way, has anyone used a portable hard drive on their PS4 yet and if so, does it have any problems with speed?

I've had no issues so far with speed on my external drive and Slim :)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What's a good brand for an external drive for my PS4? I've always had Toshiba or WD for my computers and never got issues with them so far.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Guillermus posted:

What's a good brand for an external drive for my PS4? I've always had Toshiba or WD for my computers and never got issues with them so far.

I got the Seagate 1TB Backup Plus, it was in one of the guides that was posted either in the thread for replacing the internal hdd with.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Guillermus posted:

Whatever USB3.0 drive will be fine. You should probably get one that doesn't need external power though, for the convenience factor.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yes, i was thinking on 2.5" HDDs of course. I don't see the advantage of having a desktop HDD with external supply when It's going to be plugged via USB 3.0.

Edit: when is supposed PS Store to update the deal of the week, tuesdays? It's 21:20 in here (GMT+1) and still has Doom.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 21, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fridge corn posted:

So this is all a big misunderstanding. I referred to 2B being slutty (as in slut-like) and looking like she was dressed for a co-ed Halloween party, but I wasn't using the term in a derogatory manner. In the context of a co-ed Halloween party, sluttiness is more or less appropriate. In the context of the video game, sluttiness is inappropriate. In no way did i mean to convey that sluttiness was an objectively bad thing, though i find it weird that people became so defensive over a perceived slight on the characters personality

Do not call your friends or co-workers slutty just because they wear a sexy costume.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Do not call your friends or co-workers slutty just because they wear a sexy costume.

it was a misunderstanding in that his opinion is bad, but it's bad for many more reasons than were conveyed in his original post.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm that guy. That guy who just got ME:A from Gamefly and am completely ignoring the campaign 100% and just gonna play MP.

[edit] I'm also that guy that has Nier from Gamefly since the day it came out and its still in the package, because Horizon, Zelda, Fatherhood (in that order.)

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Too much good gaming so close together :psyduck:

OMFG THIS. I just started HZD (which is amazing), but I'm also about halfway through Yakuza 0 and FFXV. I have Nioh, but haven't even booted it yet. I've barely scratched the surface on Watch Dogs 2, and Mafia 3 is still in the box. Also I have a bunch of content to clear in FFXIV. And Miku is so drat fun.

Next major release I'm looking forward to is Tekken, so hopefully I'll have time between now and then to clear some of this backlog.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I just crossed the 60 hour mark in Yakuza0 and it says I'm at like 40% completion and my mind is not accepting this as possible. It's been forever since I put this much time into one game. It's just not something I do anymore, and I'm loving the hell out of it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

side content in open world games bloat the completion percentage a lot

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Yeah in Yakuza, they count poo poo like... how many of the different dishes in all the restaurants have you eaten, and how many of the fighters have you encountered in the randomized battles in the coliseum (is that still a thing in Y0?), how many of the hostesses have you filled out the heart meters on... a big chunk of it isn't actually that meaningful.

That is to say, do the parts you like and don't worry about what the number says - you will have a fun time that way :)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I haven't even found the colosseum yet.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Fix posted:

I haven't even found the colosseum yet.

It's in all of the games 1-5 but I haven't played 0 yet so I don't know if it's in there. For all I know the place it's located at hasn't even been built yet in the time period where 0 takes place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

It's in all of the games 1-5 but I haven't played 0 yet so I don't know if it's in there. For all I know the place it's located at hasn't even been built yet in the time period where 0 takes place.

There's an underground fight arena in 0.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How the gently caress do you do the Rock Paper Scissors stuff in the cat fight club

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How the gently caress do you do the Rock Paper Scissors stuff in the cat fight club

Pick the one with really good stats, play it like two times the plot mandates, never touch the loving waste of time again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I played it last night and picked the person with the better stats but then it kept asking me to pick for a game of RPS and I know there's some way of looking at the colours??? It wasn't explained very well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I played it last night and picked the person with the better stats but then it kept asking me to pick for a game of RPS and I know there's some way of looking at the colours??? It wasn't explained very well.

You basically just play RPS and try to favor the 'good' option but otherwise it's basically random and bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow, I loved ME3:MP, but maybe I'm just spoiled with games since then.. but this is a juddery clusterfuck mess.

Like, it's SO bad.

Wow.