Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

EdEddnEddy posted:

Lots of ram or not, even with 3-4GB does anyone else have any luck with apps actually staying loaded as you switch between them?

Going from something like google messenger, to a single loaded chrome tab, to facebook, seems to always reload the stupid Facebook app (loosing whatever you may have been looking at in the timeline, shuffling it so you will never find what you wanted to see ever again) and after a period of time with any past app running, the phone slows down untill you kill it. (Say if you leave a game up in the background, or some webpage that does have a lot of ad crap running all over it in Chrome.

It just seems like Android still cannot multi/background task even with memory that makes even a modest computer look small, yet a 2GB Atom powered Windows 10 tablet is a better multitasker than Android.

What gives? If I don't clear my recent apps list, any phone I have used just becomes a sluggish mess and has to reload whatever is in that list anyway.

That's normal for Facebook even on my Mac. It just updates its feed on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cabbit posted:

My Nexus 5X has been doing a thing for about a week now where it just freezes up completely, including the screen refusing to turn off, and the only recourse I can find is holding the power until the thing reboots. I'm not 100%, but it seems to usually be when I'm going back into Google Play Music after a long delay-- like listening to music while I drive somewhere, turn off the music and walk around for an hour, then get back in the car and start the music back up.

The only whiff of this I can find after repeated searching is some people claiming it to be a precursor to getting hosed by a boot loop.

On a scale of gently caress to gently caress, how worried should I be here?

Nexus 5Xes are doomed. If you are within 15 months of purchase, contact LG immediately and they'll refuse to refund your money, repair your phone, or replace it with another Nexus 5X and send you a piece of poo poo G5. At least, that's been my experience.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What is supposed to be wrong with Bluetooth on Nexus devices?

The only phone I've had significant Bluetooth problems with was an LG G3 (which was a basket case in every possible way) but the only issues I've had across my Nexus S/4/6p has been album titles sometimes don't show in the car (which I've also had happen with an iPhone)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

dissss posted:

What is supposed to be wrong with Bluetooth on Nexus devices?

The only phone I've had significant Bluetooth problems with was an LG G3 (which was a basket case in every possible way) but the only issues I've had across my Nexus S/4/6p has been album titles sometimes don't show in the car (which I've also had happen with an iPhone)

I've always had bad luck I guess, always found Bluetooth audio connections unreliable on Nexus phones. On my Note 5 or S7 though, it's been great. The current Pixel disconnect issue is apparently known and due to be fixed though, hardly a reason to not get one.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I've never had any of those issues on my pixel.

It wasn't backordered when I got it day one.
My microphone works fine.
Never had a Bluetooth problem with my headphones nor my car. ( That's right, update your stalker spreadsheets, I gave in and got a car. )

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm apparently the luckiest Android user ever, because I've never had bluetooth connection/quality issues, regardless of which device I was using or what I was connecting to. The closest thing to a complaint that I have is that I have to turn the volume up every time I connect to the BT dongle in my car.

(to be fair, I'm almost 100% sure that I wouldn't be able to make this claim had I ever tried to use the BT on my Droid X2. That thing was plagued with audio issues even via wired headphones, so I can only imagine what BT would have been like)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

vyst posted:

To be fair, present day if you're going to buy the Pixel at this point and not either wait for the Galaxy S8 series, or the next Pixel you're making a pretty silly decision.

What? No.

If you need a phone buy one and do not listen to this person.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
My S7 Edge finally updated to 7.0 (thanks Rogers) and it's overall pretty nice but Samsung did something weird with one of the default system fonts that's throwing me off (look at the word "SETTINGS" at the top for example)

(that performance mode toggle allows an instant/temporary adjustment of screen res and brightness, I'm assuming for VR or games or something?)

Also it has the Note7's ambient display screen now, which means 3rd party notifications are all fully supported so it's useful and good now. I like it waaaaaaaaay more than the stock/Pixel ambient display screen which I don't use because it's garbage, I would kill for Samsung's implementation of it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've had BT issues though both versions of the N7, N10, Galaxy Nexus, and now Pixel. This has been against cars (two different), two sets of headphones, and a speaker.

Issues that I have had include killing all wifi bandwidth (even when on 5ghz), dropping connection, and delay (leading to lip sync issues with streaming.)

Devices that have not had BT issues, any of my Moto devices.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I have never had BT issues on any device, other than the never ending annoyance of not being allowed to pick which loving media app gets to play when the play button is pressed.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

What? No.

If you need a phone buy one and do not listen to this person.

If you buy a pixel today and have to wait three months to receive it then yea, it's pretty dumb.

Sorry you disagree.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I was able to buy my one plus 3t and get it inside of a week and am very happy with it. :shrug:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

vyst posted:

If you buy a pixel today and have to wait three months to receive it then yea, it's pretty dumb.

Sorry you disagree.

Yes, I do agree of you have to wait 3 months you shouldn't buy a Pixel now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I was able to buy my one plus 3t and get it inside of a week and am very happy with it. :shrug:

It's cute that you think that this means something.

It's not like the 3T actively causes you pain or something. If the 3T was the only thing people could buy then everyone would be happy with it...or at least as happy as people get over smartphones.

The real question is does it have deficiencies in areas that are more important to a potential buyer vs the deficiencies in other phones said buyer could buy.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Lets just say with the coming 835 powered devices, It would be wise to wait just a little bit at this point...

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Can we have our old thread title back? Lots of defense being played here.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have a feeling that the GS8 is going to make the 835 supply constrained well into late summer.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

Can we have our old thread title back? Lots of defense being played here.

Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Imagine a 5X Boot-Looping, Forever

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
When are we expecting the moto g5 + ? I'm eagerly awaiting it. Also when are we expecting more news / what phones are coming in the next few months that people are looking forward to? All I know about this year is:

-g5 / g5+ are coming 'soon'
-pixel 2 coming in q3/q4
-some samsung is coming ... soon? Is that a mid tier or a top-tier phone?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

redreader posted:

If it doesn't catch fire; top tier.
If it does catch fire; mid-tier.

Seriously though, the S7 was released in first half of March, so the S8 should be announced within the next couple weeks at most.

I'm waiting to see the specs and price of the Honor 9. Otherwise, I'll just get the Mate 9 when it goes on sale.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Next week, on the 29th in fact

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

redreader posted:

When are we expecting the moto g5 + ? I'm eagerly awaiting it. Also when are we expecting more news / what phones are coming in the next few months that people are looking forward to? All I know about this year is:

-pixel 2 coming in q3/q4

HTC has something in the works as well. Samsung 835 hoarding or no.

And it's not the "U"

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

HTC has something in the works as well. Samsung 835 hoarding or no.

And it's not the "U"

I hope it's not the U, because if reviews are any indication that phone sucks balls worse than the OnePlus One

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

vyst posted:

Sorry you disagree.

I ordered a pixel black 32gb yesterday, posting on it now. Granted, mines via VZW business line. But I'm good.

Also, may load up Android O on my 5x in a day or 2.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
O hai

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/

Android O developer preview is out. Here's the obligatory list of new features that is subject to the law of diminishing returns but some of them could turn out pretty cool I guess:

quote:

• Background limits: Building on the work we began in Nougat, Android O puts a big priority on improving a user's battery life and the device's interactive performance. To make this possible, we've put additional automatic limits on what apps can do in the background, in three main areas: implicit broadcasts, background services, and location updates. These changes will make it easier to create apps that have minimal impact on a user's device and battery. Background limits represent a significant change in Android, so we want every developer to get familiar with them. Check out the documentation on background execution limits and background location limits for details.

• Notification channels: Android O also introduces notification channels, which are new app-defined categories for notification content. Channels let developers give users fine-grained control over different kinds of notifications — users can block or change the behavior of each channel individually, rather than managing all of the app's notifications together. Android O also adds new visuals and grouping to notifications that make it easier for users to see what's going on when they have an incoming message or are glancing at the notification shade.

• Autofill APIs: Android users already depend on a range of password managers to autofill login details and repetitive information, which makes setting up new apps or placing transactions easier. Now we are making this work more easily across the ecosystem by adding platform support for autofill. Users can select an autofill app, similar to the way they select a keyboard app. The autofill app stores and secures user data, such as addresses, user names, and even passwords. For apps that want to handle autofill, we're adding new APIs to implement an Autofill service.

• PIP for handsets and new windowing features: Picture in Picture (PIP) display is now available on phones and tablets, so users can continue watching a video while they're answering a chat or hailing a car. Apps can put themselves in PiP mode from the resumed or a pausing state where the system supports it - and you can specify the aspect ratio and a set of custom interactions (such as play/pause). Other new windowing features include a new app overlay window for apps to use instead of system alert window, and multi-display support for launching an activity on a remote display.

• Font resources in XML: Fonts are now a fully supported resource type in Android O. Apps can now use fonts in XML layouts as well as define font families in XML — declaring the font style and weight along with the font files.

• Adaptive icons: To help you integrate better with the device UI, you can now create adaptive icons that the system displays in different shapes, based on a mask selected by the device. The system also animates interactions with the icons, and them in the launcher, shortcuts, Settings, sharing dialogs, and in the overview screen.

So, "improved battery life" again. But so far I've liked every step they take to refine notifications, so I'm optimistic about that part, at least.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
The autofill API sounds good and cool.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

LastInLine posted:

To be fair, it's great at home with the exception of the single account limitation.

It's like 90% there if my Pixel setup was anything to go by but really it's so ridiculous there isn't an iTunes-like app where you can backup and restore a device, or move to a new device. It's lovely that the OEMs have to roll their own (which of course only work from that OEM's device to another) and it would be trivial to actually do but loving Google...

what? i used the built in migration tool when moving from my nexus 4 to my 6p and it moved all my poo poo across in like 5 seconds. all my pics and texts and poo poo are all automatically synced to the clod anyways. i dont understand.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Adaptive icons sounds interesting, I could see it replacing a widget or two.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

quote:

Autofill APIs: Android users already depend on a range of password managers to autofill login details and repetitive information, which makes setting up new apps or placing transactions easier. Now we are making this work more easily across the ecosystem by adding platform support for autofill. Users can select an autofill app, similar to the way they select a keyboard app. The autofill app stores and secures user data, such as addresses, user names, and even passwords. For apps that want to handle autofill, we're adding new APIs to implement an Autofill service.

Really digging this.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bixby icon is a flower if your battery is charging and a volcano if your device is on fire.

~Life Assistant~

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Note 7 culprit spotted:

https://twitter.com/ErinCNN/status/844283555425472513

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight
What's the most recent OS I can update my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SPH-L900) up to? There is an app I need to run that accompanies a new device I bought but it's only compatible with Lollipop and up, and I can't upgrade my phone until May (my Note 2 is a backup, as my Note 5 has a busted LCD and it costs more to replace than just waiting it out a couple months).

Can I push past Kitkat without rooting it? If I not, and I do root it, what's recommended in terms of pushing up to the most recent OS in terms of what it can handle from a hardware perspective? Can I get all the way to Nougat or Marshmallow? Feel free to yell at me and send me to the rooted thread, but wanted a more general opinion first.

Search results are terrible so far. Need hlep.

K fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 22, 2017

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Day and a half in with my pixel and I'm in love with the fingerprint unlock, even though from what I understand it isn't the best security wise?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Does anyone know how to turn off this notification from the Google App?

I take the train every day so I don't give a poo poo about traffic. I have all the poo poo turned off in Google Maps and in the Google App. I don't have any cards or anything, and I reset that data long ago.

Yeah, uninstall LastPass

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Day and a half in with my pixel and I'm in love with the fingerprint unlock, even though from what I understand it isn't the best security wise?

PULL UP, PULL UP!!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

bull3964 posted:

PULL UP, PULL UP!!

My first time having a fingerprint reader and it is seriously great. Even has its own motions, can swipe down on it for the notifications pull-down screen. And holy crap it is so much faster than my 2014 moto x.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What's a good overall phone with the best camera around (particularly low-light)? Still Google Pixel?

What's the cheapest thing with tolerable performance and good battery life, unlocked?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Paul MaudDib posted:

What's a good overall phone with the best camera around (particularly low-light)? Still Google Pixel?

What's the cheapest thing with tolerable performance and good battery life, unlocked?

The Pixel seems to be rated the best camera at most review sites. For tolerable performance on a budget I'd look at a Moto G4 Play for about a hundred bucks (amazon with offers unlocked).

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I have a G4+ I would sell for not a lot. If interested PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

redreader posted:

-pixel 2 coming in q3/q4

I just handled one at Best Buy. It seems nice and I figure many will jump at a 5.2 inch phone.

I wanted to try the fingerprint sensor gestures but couldn't figure out how to activate them and was in a hurry.

To the person getting a Moto Z Play, it's pretty great for the price. It wasn't terribly slow or choppy on 6.0, but 7.0 has made animations snappy and helped immensely with RAM management.

Consider getting a 19mm watch screen protector for the camera hump. It scratches very easily. Also, don't get any Moto Mods except for the battery ones or maybe the speaker.