Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm not sure what to suggest without currency for level 67 character. You could improve your situation by getting life gear with some armor/evasion, but you ought to rather soon transition into CI proper, so that'd be extra spending - which brings me to point where you should probably just tough it out until you can afford better CI gear - a couple Chaos Orbs for 150+ ES gloves, 200+ ES boots, 350+ ES shield, 300+ ES helmet, and 600+ ES Vaal Regalia each. Sure, there will be extra spending on crafting additional resists, getting rings right, painting/linking sockets, 5Ling chest, buying Valyrium or Eye of Chayula, and so on, but Dried Lake farm should generally give you enough cash for all that jazz.

What I can tell you for sure though, your flask setup is fairly bad, and you should fix it. Carry 1, maximum 2 life flasks, a mana flask if you need one, and fill out the rest with utility flasks - at least 1 Quicksilver, then whatever you can cheaply get from these - Basalt, Granite, Jade; maybe Quartz, certainly not Stibnite. You must have on your life/quicksilver/mana flasks the following suffixes (one of each) - of Heat (to remove cold crap) and of Staunching (to remove bleeding). As for prefixes, life flask should be Seething [Divine Life Flask], and mana flask must not be Caustic.

Then there's also the question of your passive tree and gems, but I've barely played summoners and have no idea what defenses are sufficient on regular leagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I didn't know I was over on lightning and slightly on cold, so that's good to know I could try and balance that out.

I also don't think I've done too many of the side quests on cruel/merc so I'll go back over and do them to pick up the extra skill points.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oodles posted:

I didn't know I was over on lightning and slightly on cold, so that's good to know I could try and balance that out.

I also don't think I've done too many of the side quests on cruel/merc so I'll go back over and do them to pick up the extra skill points.
Do that for sure. You can type /passives in chat to check what quests you have or have not taken - as of Merciless Dried Lake you should have 20 skillpoints (21st is waiting in the Mines after the Lake) + however many times you have helped Eramir by killing every bandit lord.

You can check how overcapped you are on your resists by looking at the number in brackets when you open the defense tab on the character screen.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

At what point will my build's mettle be tested? Do I have to get all the way to merc to find out if I'm endgame viable?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

rap music posted:

At what point will my build's mettle be tested? Do I have to get all the way to merc to find out if I'm endgame viable?

Most builds don't really come together til around level 70-80 with merc lab cleared.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

rap music posted:

personally I would see uberlab as the threshold to endgame

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Oodles posted:

SRS Auromancer. I've got about 1.2k life and 2.5k ES with my clarity (or is it discipline?). Which is a drat site better than I was. I could do with something that ups my damage on the minions, and I've only got a 4 link, as I don't have any chaos orbs to drop on a 5 link.

Why are you running an auramencer build when you're poor? Isn't that one of the more expensive builds to get going?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Hit 36 challenges, bought 4 keys and got gently caress all. Couldn't even trash my armor with a vaal.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Why are you running an auramencer build when you're poor? Isn't that one of the more expensive builds to get going?

Auramancer is piss cheap to get going. It's extremely expensive to perfect.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I too play this game like a normal and ethical human being one hundred and twenty hours a week

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

Because this is my second league and I didn't want to do an ancestral warchief again. I didn't know if it's expensive or not.

Id rather not have to flip between builds as I'm getting to grips with how this game works. Like I didn't know getting decent gear was cheap (in terms of augmentation/jewlers/alchemy) I was only told this last night.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Oodles posted:

Because this is my second league and I didn't want to do an ancestral warchief again. I didn't know if it's expensive or not.

Id rather not have to flip between builds as I'm getting to grips with how this game works. Like I didn't know getting decent gear was cheap (in terms of augmentation/jewlers/alchemy) I was only told this last night.

Whatevers clever. You'll probably be a lot more knowledgeable in the end then the guy who just went with EQ once you get it all figured out.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

A followup to the stutter issues I was having:

I switched to Predictive mode and it works fine, though I now desync and there's noticeable lag when things happen pretty regularly because of the desync (like I'll see an enemy do a slam attack and then not take damage until half a second later). Still, it makes the game playable. Also confirms that the issue had nothing to do with my own machine and is related to GGG's servers being unable to process the data for that many auras and send it back to me in real time. Could either be my network not being able to download the data fast enough or the servers not being able to handle it, and I highly doubt it's the former.

Anyways build is busted. It's a bit annoying that the way Blood Magic works with low life makes it so that using skills counts as damage that disables my ES recharge, but Vaal Clarity gets around that. Not sure it'll be stable for the actual endgame bosses, but I think I can deal with it. I might have to drop Alpha's Howl for a real ES hat though, since I only have 7200 right now.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

A followup to the stutter issues I was having:

I switched to Predictive mode and it works fine, though I now desync and there's noticeable lag when things happen pretty regularly because of the desync (like I'll see an enemy do a slam attack and then not take damage until half a second later). Still, it makes the game playable. Also confirms that the issue had nothing to do with my own machine and is related to GGG's servers being unable to process the data for that many auras and send it back to me in real time. Could either be my network not being able to download the data fast enough or the servers not being able to handle it, and I highly doubt it's the former.

Anyways build is busted. It's a bit annoying that the way Blood Magic works with low life makes it so that using skills counts as damage that disables my ES recharge, but Vaal Clarity gets around that. Not sure it'll be stable for the actual endgame bosses, but I think I can deal with it. I might have to drop Alpha's Howl for a real ES hat though, since I only have 7200 right now.

Yeah I had that too with dominating blow but it's melee and namelocking so I couldn't really switch to predictive.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
If I have frame drops when in groups all the time should I be blaming my i5-2500k or my AMD 7950? I’ve dealt with it for years now but it’s super frustrating and I’m hoping to do something about it beyond changing every setting possible.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
^^
The 7950. The processor is still decent but that card is older than Mjolnir.

Oodles posted:

Even decent 5-links are pretty cheap this late in a league though?... http://poe.trade/search/hakabetotahoho
(do the chaos recipe)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Boozie posted:

If I have frame drops when in groups all the time should I be blaming my i5-2500k or my AMD 7950? I’ve dealt with it for years now but it’s super frustrating and I’m hoping to do something about it beyond changing every setting possible.

your ram or your internet probably.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Oodles posted:

SRS Auromancer. I've got about 1.2k life and 2.5k ES with my clarity (or is it discipline?). Which is a drat site better than I was. I could do with something that ups my damage on the minions, and I've only got a 4 link, as I don't have any chaos orbs to drop on a 5 link.

Click the ? next to my post, I went through a similar rough patch and forums poster Olesh had a lot of great advice to make it work. If you really need minion damage, getting a +2 hat and socketing the 4l in there should help.

I'm comfortable in white maps now, but I still kinda hate how active the build is. I get distracted a lot, Vaal Clarity drops, and I have to spend time spinning everything up again. CWC WI got me further than ever last league, but the lack of clear speed from standing still to melt things bugged me. SRS aura is zippy when it's rolling, but I don't think I can push it up into yellow or red maps at this rate.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
You really do need to be good at keeping on the move as srs auramancer.
I got mine up and running into yellow maps using a Victario's Influence to put hatred/wrath/anger/haste into, since the lvl 30 generosity and 30% reduced reserv help quite a bit.
Plus you don't have to worry at all about linking it, since you get the generosity built in...just toss whatever auras that you don't need on yourself into it.
Put SRS in a crappy +2 minions helm with like ~250 ES, link it with minion dmg/melee splash/melee dmg.
I did go low life using this, and used a Coruscating Elixir to keep from getting destroyed by chaos dmg.
Purities help get your resists capped without having to worry too much about your gear, and allow you to use some chaos resist stuff instead.
You do have to, once again, be good at keeping the train of destruction rolling and just not stopping to keep flask charges/vaal clarity up, but it really isn't too bad.
Just keep hitting the flask every 9 seconds or whatever it ends up being and you should be good to go.
I did die occasionally when I would forget to hit my flask and get wrecked by chaos dmg, but I got better at it with practice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Since RF was mentioned earlier, what are the usual suspects for that skill? Chieftain is the only one I can think of offhand, for the fire damage and regen on endurance charges (at least I THINK that one's Chieftain, can't check right now).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I did Juggernaut back in Prophecy, but my main damage dealer was Discharge, not RF. I ran RF for the damage boost and so I wouldn't be completely useless if I ran into elemental reflect (7k life does jack poo poo when you hit for >100k). Two Kaom's Ways (with 10 Endurance charges) and Vitality put my regen at ~2k/s.

For just RF Chieftain is probably the best choice for the reasons you mentioned.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 21, 2017

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I would recommend against playing life based RF and go Low Life RF if you want to play it. Look at Pohx's videos, he did Shaper 2nd try knowing nothing at all about the Shaper mechanics beforehand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiCUjHotDKU

Guardian just fits this build perfectly.

To clarify, the reason I wouldn't go life based RF is because the margins on regen are a lot thinner than on low life and your total pool of life is much lower. Prayer of Glory basically makes Guardian sustain RF through -60% regen and through Vulnerability maps just fine, and lets you do things like stand in the Shaper vortexes without taking any damage.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 21, 2017

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
How the gently caress is he getting 16k ES with Shavs.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I wouldn't try low-life Righteous Fire unless you really know what you're doing. It's much more expensive than the Chieftan life version.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

peak debt posted:

How the gently caress is he getting 16k ES with Shavs.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Radiant_Faith ?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Can also go inquisitor life RF for big deeps. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1794332

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I made a booboo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOLnsSrE3pE

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
:rip:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Volatile essence monsters are super cool.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Cinara posted:

Volatile essence monsters are super cool.

Was 100% my fault. I was hovering the mob for ages and didnt notice the volatile. Could have easily lived if I had been paying attention.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Rip man. :( Like I said, hope to see you levelling again soon!
Volatiles scare the poo poo out of me on HC.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I ran a nemesis poorjoys yesterday where it seemed every single mob had a volatile rare. It was fun (and rippy).

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

were you wearing the reach

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

were you wearing the reach

Yes

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

It has a good home on standard now

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:rip:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Since RF was mentioned earlier, what are the usual suspects for that skill? Chieftain is the only one I can think of offhand, for the fire damage and regen on endurance charges (at least I THINK that one's Chieftain, can't check right now).

I was enjoying the scorching ray & righteous fire & iron will inquisitor i was doing as my first league character, until I ripped him to a shameful mistake. Inquisitor with shield charge makes it very fun and fast. I was just shield charging through everything with RF and spinning the beam over anything that didn't die. You only need a Rise of the Phoenix and a Doon's to get going and the 3 link should keep you going forever, especially as you get closer to 1k strength. Lot's of opportunity to push the build to 10k health and end game damage is anything between 200k-400k from RF and SR each. You can turn the RF off for no regen maps and still have a strong Scorching Ray from Iron Will as well

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 22, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I was enjoying the scorching ray & righteous fire & iron will inquisitor i was doing as my first league character, until I ripped him to a shameful mistake. Inquisitor with shield charge makes it very fun and fast. I was just shield charging through everything with RF and spinning the beam over anything that didn't die. You only need a Rise of the Phoenix and a Doon's to get going and the 3 link should keep you going forever, especially as you get closer to 1k strength. Lot's of opportunity to push the build to 10k health and end game damage is anything between 200k-400k from RF and SR each. You can turn the RF off for no regen maps and still have a strong Scorching Ray from Iron Will as well

Were you following this "solar flare" build guide by any chance? I meant to try that last league but didn't, maybe I can give that a shot. (Already got an SR character but the trees are too divergent to reconcile with regrets.)

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Maddot_66 posted:

Looking for build/gear advice to improve my Ice crash guy. https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Maddot_66/characters

Biggest issue right now is having -60% to chaos res. even with my flask up, I am getting ruined by anything poison.

any suggestions would be super awesome.

This got lost in the last few pages, any goon help would be super helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
Chieftain initially seems like the obvious choice for RF but I've almost always ended up liking inquisitor more. Way more versatile, has the mana regen and cast speed to actually cast spells effectively, damage aura is on you instead of your totem, attack speed lets you whirl/charge way faster.

As always there's going to be some low life/energy shield build that is better with enough investment, but hopefully 3.0 will rebalance things so that ES isn't stupidly overpowered at high gear levels.

edit: that solar flare guide is sorta dubious. SR-CWC-Flame Surge isn't much if at all better than a 3 link scorching ray. that entire build would be cheaper and better all around using orb of storms for EO+EE+curse and dumping xoph's blood/flame surge to focus on SR and RF.

YoungSexualNorton fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 22, 2017

• Locked thread